closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to find a rare watch

How to find a rare watch

I'm set on getting a particular watch. It was made in precious metal, fewer than 50 pieces, about 15 years ago. Google tells me they hit the market very infrequently (1 every couple of years), and typically then through one of the international auction houses' watch sales or a smaller European house.

Can anyone recommend a website or a hunter's strategy to ensure that I can keep informed of as many upcoming sales as possible, as I would hate to miss a watch that's offered. To be honest, I don't even know how I might compile a relatively complete list of auction houses through which such a watch might pass....

Any and all help appreciated, thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I managed to snag a relatively rare watch I was after in 2014. I'd put a wtb on a forum that was particular to the brand and asked around a few known collectors. Eventually had an email from somebody with one and managed to do the deal. Took about 18 months in total.

If you know any current owners, try contacting them directly, you never know.

Good luck and I'm intrigued to know what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I managed to snag a relatively rare watch I was after in 2014. I'd put a wtb on a forum that was particular to the brand and asked around a few known collectors. Eventually had an email from somebody with one and managed to do the deal. Took about 18 months in total.

If you know any current owners, try contacting them directly, you never know.

Good luck and I'm intrigued to know what it is...
    Hadn’t really thought of that, since the watches don’t seem to come up ever as private sales. But yes, it would make a good deal of sense to see if something can be done off-market with an owner somehow, I’ll look into that.

Still keen to hear of any thoughts too on how I might aggregate or check across numerous auction houses - and what a relatively complete list of auction houses might look like.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It might help to mention the brand of watch at least.
    It would tailor any advice given.

Is there any reason you've not said what the watch is that you're after? More eyes looking for it may help

Not really.

Or at least, more truthfully: superstition? I don’t want to scud myself. (I know that doesn’t make sense...)

More rationally, I suppose it might move discussion onto the merits and demerits of the watch, which is a whole different topic and one that I will be delighted to start if and when... whereas right now I’m hoping someone who’s been in a similar situation might be able to say “righto, here’s a list of eighty auction sites that between them will cover any half-way rational seller’s likely avenues of disposal”, or somesuch. Wishful thinking maybe?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried watchrecon? That seems to collate various forum sales.

Is there an owner's forum? Or Facebook group?

I haven’t heard of watchrecon - thanks for a second excellent suggestion!

I have tried a couple of owners’ forums without success. Other than that, I’m maintaining an ad hoc vigil on: Antiquorum; Bonhams; Christie’s; Fellows; Sotheby’s; also Barnebys.... but that’s about as far as I’ve got to.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I haven’t heard of watchrecon - thanks for a second excellent suggestion!

I have tried a couple of owners’ forums without success. Other than that, I’m maintaining an ad hoc vigil on: Antiquorum; Bonhams; Christie’s; Fellows; Sotheby’s; also Barnebys.... but that’s about as far as I’ve got to.
    Mctears in Scotland. Next auction is 2nd July

https://www.mctears.co.uk/auctions-e...ndar?m=2019-07

Craftsman
    The-Saleroom.com is surely the way to cover most provincial auction houses in the UK.

I am quite curious now!!!one more little hint???

Master
    Also worth setting up a saved search on ebay. You'll be emailed if any listings appear.

I set up a saved search and alert on chrono24 which told me when new watches were listed. I picked up a 1 out of 50 piece limited edition that way. Took a year before 1 popped up.

Master
    Based on experience if you say in here what it is you are looking for then you are harnessing the power of elite cyber watch nerds and we are sure to present you with said watch from some place in no time at all.

I’ve seen people tracked down to their home address based on no more than a punctuation error!

Genuine thanks to all replies, including a couole of people who have been most kind in sharing their thoughts and expertise via PM.

I do feel a bit better equipped already!

Watchrecon is a great tool, I use it all the time. And you can set up alerts, though it does pick up watches listed in signatures so the alerts do spew out some odd results, interestingly so sometimes.

You do know that you can subscribe to a search on Saleroom?
    You pay a fixed fee for a period and it will notify you by email of every lot that comes up that meets your criteria.
    I didi it for Lemania for a while, very interesting, but I realised I was unlikley to buy that way so stopped the subscription.
    The hard thing is to get the search string so that you get every lot that is right, but not hundreds of the wrong ones.
    It is easy with a niche brand like Lemania, but if you are looking for a Speedmaster, you will get loads of emails every week.

Automatic searches on Ebay and Saleroom, Watch recon, and also regular Chrono24 searches will find most things eventually.
    Dave

Craftsman
    You can set up a keyword notification on google. Type the name or keyword into google search, go to the news tab and down at the bottom there's an option to create an alert.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    You do know that you can subscribe to a search on Saleroom?
    You pay a fixed fee for a period and it will notify you by email of every lot that comes up that meets your criteria.
    I didi it for Lemania for a while, very interesting, but I realised I was unlikley to buy that way so stopped the subscription.
    The hard thing is to get the search string so that you get every lot that is right, but not hundreds of the wrong ones.
    It is easy with a niche brand like Lemania, but if you are looking for a Speedmaster, you will get loads of emails every week.

Automatic searches on Ebay and Saleroom, Watch recon, and also regular Chrono24 searches will find most things eventually.
    Dave
    I do this and enjoy looking at the search results I get every day, I use the free listing..

Really curious what you are looking for :-)

Craftsman
    I would also suggest checking out the Puristspro forum. Never bought anything from there myself but they list a lot of rarer more expensive watches.

All as above, it'll turn up and probably sooner than you think.

Found dozens of pieces I was after by putting out the feelers and then sitting back

I would set up alerts on chrono24, ebay and on the-saleroom.com, i don't know if they allow that, if not, you can browse the-saleroom.com and identify the major auction houses and browse one by one regularly.

A couple more suggestions for sites that I hadn’t heard of before. All of this is greatly appreciated!

Given all of the responses, I have now implemented a detailed process, which has included finding and joining many new sites and fora. I feel much better equipped now than I did heretofore, so again a big thank you from me :)

Craftsman
    I have had a great deal of success going on to the WTB. pages. QUOTE=JGJG;5123372]I'm set on getting a particular watch. It was made in precious metal, fewer than 50 pieces, about 15 years ago. Google tells me they hit the market very infrequently (1 every couple of years), and typically then through one of the international auction houses' watch sales or a smaller European house.

Can anyone recommend a website or a hunter's strategy to ensure that I can keep informed of as many upcoming sales as possible, as I would hate to miss a watch that's offered. To be honest, I don't even know how I might compile a relatively complete list of auction houses through which such a watch might pass....

Any and all help appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Try watchpatrol.net as well. They pick up a few more watch forums than watchrecon.

Cheers,

Steve