closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive watch on a NATO/cheap strap

Expensive watch on a NATO/cheap strap

I’ve seen a few Subs and the like on NATOs, and with Tudor doing a fairly high end fabric strap, just wondering who’s got what expensive kit on a NATO or cheapy strap.

I’ll try and find a pic of my Sub on a £10 Surfers Against Sewage dayglo Velcro strap from a few years back, but in the mean time.... what have you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16800 Sub on £4.00 black nato.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Hulk on nato ...

works for me

z

Master
    16660 on a £5 perlon. I also bought one for my 16800.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    16660 on a £5 perlon. I also bought one for my 16800.
    Wearing a Rolex, and taking a photo of it whilst horse riding at pace on a slim bridleway?
    Manly Award for Manliness June 2019 goes to this man!

I think the Submariner is perfect for a NATO (as did Mr Bond)

Rolex subs on NATOs is a rather sad look for Bond wannabes, unless it's a Milsub, which it almost never is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do, or have worn most of mine on fabric straps over the years.
    My work SD lives on one as I'd wreck the bracelet if is used it.

Not seeing many Pateks on NATOs yet, seems only to be Rolex....

I’ve been trying my Grand Seiko SBGA231 on a NATO, probably as expensive as it gets - not sure if I’m so under the radar that I am mega cool, or if I’m cheapening the thing ;)

Craftsman
    My Tudor on a cheap Nato.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Rolex subs on NATOs is a rather sad look for Bond wannabes, unless it's a Milsub, which it almost never is.
    Some people aren't going for a look, but do it for practical purposes :)

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Some people aren't going for a look, but do it for practical purposes :)

That would be me then, I simply don't like the added extra weight of a bracelet.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I took to wearing a few Perlons for the first time last summer

I posted this photo in today's Friday thread - it is my 5513 on a Di Modell Rallye.

I really like the combination, though I recognise it's not to everyone's taste.

I also wear it occasionally on an original Bond NATO, but generally just to wind up those who get annoyed by such things

I do have the original bracelet, so sometimes have the watch on steel as well.

Master
    They all look rubbish and smacks of Walt.

Master
    It's your money, your watch and if you want to put the watch on an el cheapo strap then so be it. It's your business and no one elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It's your money, your watch and if you want to put the watch on an el cheapo strap then so be it. It's your business and no one elses.
    Careful....there's no place here for sanity and reason. Some will accuse you of heresy!

The thing is, almost all straps should be cheap. And can be.
    Mass-made NATOs should be under £20, Perlons under £10.
    Pav will gladly sell me very nicely made custom-made leather straps for under £50, even if I ask for nice leathers.
    YellowDog and SteveO straps make great custom NATOs for under £30.
    Almost all of the straps that Carl (at Gaggasbones) makes are under £40.
    None of the above have any ability to reduce prices by scale, but all their product is excellent.
    And rubber straps just pop out of a mould, the very definition of cheap. I can remember (not too long ago) Bonetto straps were sold (if you ordered more than 20, so wholesale) for €6 each. And they are good.

All these are cheap, compared to a £1k watch, let alone a £5k one. I've worn almost nothing but one of the above for a long time now.

So looking at it that way, it is remarkable that anyone pays more than £50 for a strap. The rare thing might be to ask who wears watches on an expensive strap?

Regardless, here is my Snowflake on a very cheap grey Zulu.

Dave

Master
    https://i.imgur.com/FQOstzU.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/M3gFF13.jpg
    My 2254 on the black Omega NATO that came with the Moonwatch, my Moonwatch on a GasGasBones black strap.
    Last edited by Speedy2254; 14th June 2019 at 09:14.

Master
    Nothing wrong with NATO straps, and cheap rubber on a dive watch is also fine.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This one lives on an £8 NATO.

By coincidence rather than design, I stuck my GS Snowflake on a TF Royal Engineers NATO - no doubt it will appal some, but I rather like the effect; certainly it struck me enough to share on the Friday Thread too. :)

[/url]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I think Rolex on cheap rubber/nato look dreadful. They only suite Rolex bracelts/straps.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Next time someone offers you a military Tudor or Rolex sub with fixed bars say exactly that and walk away!
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The thing is, almost all straps should be cheap. And can be.
    Mass-made NATOs should be under £20, Perlons under £10.
    Pav will gladly sell me very nicely made custom-made leather straps for under £50, even if I ask for nice leathers.
    YellowDog and SteveO straps make great custom NATOs for under £30.
    Almost all of the straps that Carl (at Gaggasbones) makes are under £40.
    None of the above have any ability to reduce prices by scale, but all their product is excellent.
    And rubber straps just pop out of a mould, the very definition of cheap. I can remember (not too long ago) Bonetto straps were sold (if you ordered more than 20, so wholesale) for €6 each. And they are good.

All these are cheap, compared to a £1k watch, let alone a £5k one. I've worn almost nothing but one of the above for a long time now.

So looking at it that way, it is remarkable that anyone pays more than £50 for a strap. The rare thing might be to ask who wears watches on an expensive strap?

Regardless, here is my Snowflake on a very cheap grey Zulu.

Dave
    You could make exactly the same arguments about watches. Why are we all posting Rolex and Omega photos, shouldnt we all be wearing a G Shock or a nice Timex? Theres just no real need for anthong more than a that is there? And yet we all keep buying nice watches because we like nice, interesting things made with interesting materials and craftsmanship..

Charlie

Master

A relatively expensive by today’s standards toolwatch that looks great on a nato...

Quote Originally Posted by Equus View Post
    You could make exactly the same arguments about watches. Why are we all posting Rolex and Omega photos, shouldnt we all be wearing a G Shock or a nice Timex? Theres just no real need for anthong more than a that is there? And yet we all keep buying nice watches because we like nice, interesting things made with interesting materials and craftsmanship..

Charlie
    You are making my argument for me.
    What I posted was all about individual craftsmanship and good materials, Pav, Gasgasbones, Yellowdog, Steve O.
    All of them excellent straps, but without the need for a silly price.
    That's not the same as the G-Shock vs Rolex argument at all.

By comparison, what I find really odd is the confidence trick of persuading Rolex owners to pay $220 for 2 moulded pieces of rubber, not even made by Rolex themselves. Shocking. Or Omega OEM NATO prices.

D

I disgusted myself with this combo, so 10secs later it went back on a normal strap

Craftsman
    Those NATO photo's are making my teeth itch. NATO's make any watch look absolutely horrible to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    You are making my argument for me.
    What I posted was all about individual craftsmanship and good materials, Pav, Gasgasbones, Yellowdog, Steve O.
    All of them excellent straps, but without the need for a silly price.
    That's not the same as the G-Shock vs Rolex argument at all.

By comparison, what I find really odd is the confidence trick of persuading Rolex owners to pay $220 for 2 moulded pieces of rubber, not even made by Rolex themselves. Shocking. Or Omega OEM NATO prices.

D
    Dont think I am! Id never argue £220 for moulded rubber is a good thing to do, but theres no more harm in an expensive but good strap than an expensive but good watch. You dont need to spend £10k on a Sub, but its just as fine to do so as it is to go to a top end strap maker for an expensive strap..

Dont think I am! Id never argue £220 for moulded rubber is a good thing to do, but theres no more harm in an expensive but good strap than an expensive but good watch. You dont need to spend £10k on a Sub, but its just as fine to do so as it is to go to a top end strap maker for an expensive strap..
    I have owned enough straps to know that there is a difference between a 20 and a 200 quid strap.
    It is not ten times better than neither is a 10 grand watch ten times better than a watch costing one tenth.
    I have tried every look alike of an Omega nato. They don’t come close.
    Same for Rubber B straps
    When it comes to Isofranes, the difference in quality is not as pronounced but is still there
    Same goes for handmade Panerai straps.
    Not to say that cheaper straps aren’t good but there is a difference.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 14th June 2019 at 11:14.

Master
    Well, if RubberB can sell a rubber strap for a Rolex worth around £10 for £100, I sure someone will come along and sell a NATO or similar strap for a silly price just for expensive watches!

Master
    Have to agree with rajen, straps from mays/kostas/corrigia/toshi are a cut above the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I have owned enough straps to know that there is a difference between a 20 and a 200 quid strap.
    It is not ten times better than neither is a 10 grand watch ten times better than a watch costing one tenth.
    Same for Rubber B straps
    When it comes to Isofranes, the difference in quality is not as pronounced but is still there
    This. The law of diminishing returns certainly kicks in, but there is and should be a difference as you get further up the strap food chain in comfort, longevity, choice and overall niceness to own and wear..

Same as watches and really most things in life

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nothing to do with expense,they are comfortable and practical.
    LikewiseI dont wear a watch to impress, I like the mechanics of it.
    Just because somethings cheap to make does not make it rubbish.

I was admiring all the CWC on phoenix NATOs while watching spearhead yesterday.
    Mimicking real life they had a job to do.

I am going full Walt....

I also have a penchant for combat/cargo trousers, and think I might pull on the old American M65 jacket I have somewhere in the wardrobe, for the complete “Tackleberry” vibe... all in the hope some of you nay-sayers and down-doers spot me in town, so you have something to roll your eyes over, before getting back to your copy of the Daily Express

(Insert suitable emoji for “I’m only pulling your legs, girls”)

Oh - this too....

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Lovely Smiths - would really like one

Craftsman
    Lovely Smiths - would really like one
    I'm not sure which looks worse - the belt, the NATO. the parting or the belt trying to match the NATO...

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Same for Rubber B straps
    All true bar the omega nato. Horrible things considering the cost, the hardware is high quality, the straps themselves aren't. Don't last well, too thick/stiff as well. Not a patch on the higher end non oe stuff (phenomenato, c&b supreme etc).

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    All true bar the omega nato. Horrible things considering the cost, the hardware is high quality, the straps themselves aren't. Don't last well, too thick/stiff as well. Not a patch on the higher end non oe stuff (phenomenato, c&b supreme etc).
    I don’t think so. This one is as thin and supple as every other nato but just has a different feel to it.
    One of their natos is thick but is different than usual fabric natos. The one that came with the Specter Seamaster is also excellent

I have one that fits your description
    It is the black coated strap which is thicker and less pliable.
    Here is a link to all their natos.

https://www.omegawatches.com/accesso...straps/catalog
    Last edited by RAJEN; 14th June 2019 at 14:28.

Master
    On what else would you fit this?

In truth, the mil subs were originally fitted on a narrower webbing strap that to our eyes might appear slightly weedy, comme ca :

If intending to allow your monkey to wear a mil sub, he will find the strap pulls far fewer of his hairs than would get trapped in the links of an Oyster bracelet.

Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I'm not sure which looks worse - the belt, the NATO. the parting or the belt trying to match the NATO...
    Or, if we're being mean which apparently we are, the very non military gut peaking over the belt. We shouldnt be mean though..

In any case, the Smiths is really nice

Charlie

Apprentice
    I tried the combination several times on a Rolex Submariner 14060M but every time it lasted for a couple of days at the most.
    In the end I realised it is not for me. But it's a quite good-looking combo... on others wrist though

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

In truth, the mil subs were originally fitted on a narrower webbing strap that to our eyes might appear slightly weedy, comme ca :

If intending to allow your monkey to wear a mil sub, he will find the strap pulls far fewer of his hairs than would get trapped in the links of an Oyster bracelet.

Haywood
    Very true there wasn’t different sizes or colours it was nominally a grey 18mm but could vary in size by manufacture.

It looks good by the way

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

THREAD DIVERSION: Where were you watching Spearhead? I used to love that as a kid!

BACK TO THREAD ->

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Haywood
    Well, Henk would throw it away. Clearly an abomination in his eyes

Horrible those NATO's, aren't they?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post

Yes, yes they are

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post

Great combination and pic.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Natos are strap of choice for me these days, in fact just had to change to a new one as I had frayed the last one so many times and resealed it, that it was getting too short!!