closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boston and Vermont

Master

Boston and Vermont

Driving from Boston and ending up in Vermont in a week or so if anyone has any tips for places to see/stay on the way.

Have a couple of nights in Boston already sorted and another few in Stowe but nothing inbetween and just planning on winging it while we are there.

Cheers,

Pete.

Master
    Oh, already in at Ben & Jerry's, thats why we are ending up in Vermont ;)

Check out the European Watch Company. It used to be based near the Copley Centre.

Boston is a great place to visit.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    According to my wife (who's in Boston / Cambridge every 4 - 5 weeks): traffic is brutal in and out of town, especially at the beginning of a weekend with nice weather. Same goes for traffic to the east: to the coast. Further north, things are a lot quieter.

Master
    Thanks - was looking at taking the 95 North to Portland ish along the coast than up and round to Stowe taking in some comedy/locally named places on the way :)

Blog Entries
    I've asked my wife. Normally she's more to the NW of Boston (nowadays Cambridge, and Andover in the past) and aware of the traffic of that area. The I-95 more to the NE side of Boston. It's is normally pretty 'driveable' but when the weather forecast looks good for the weekend, things go pear-shaped starting Friday afternoon. Same goes for the beginning of the school holidays when everybody heads for the coast. School holidays in the Boston area start on the first weekend of July and last until the last weekend of August.

I think that a mid-week trip on the I-95 could be an interesting one! And, as always, we like pics and nice places you found along the way!

Menno

Master
    I live close to Boston and work there. Let me know what you might be looking for traffic has gone insane here because of the booming economy so timing around rush hour is helpful. It starts around 6AM to 10 AM then 1:30 PM till late depending on day. Going north to Portland is out of the way heading to Stowe but if you do stop in Portsmouth NH and the Ogunquit/Welles Maine area as well they are on the way and much better destinations than Portland is.

John

Craftsman
    In my experience, the Boston traffic isn't that bad, as long as you avoid rush hour and Friday afternoon. It really sucks for commuters, but its much more manageable as a visitor with a flexible schedule. I drive into the city twice a month from Rhode Island, after the commute is done, with little to no problem.

I strongly prefer Portland to Wells, but they are very different towns. Wells is a pretty beach getaway, Portland is a very manageable cosmopolitan city, with great bar culture and a food scene that is bursting at the seams.

Have you considered a trip to Mt. Washington? At 6288ft its the highest peak on the East Coast, offers a breathtaking view on a fine day, and on a bad one hosts some of the most extreme weather in the world. There is a network of well marked hiking trails for the energetic and adventurous, an auto road for the efficiency minded, and a cog railway for a unique option to transport (with a rack and pinion gear to keep the train from sliding back down the track).

Master
    Thanks all - I’ve got 10 days to do the trip in so don’t mind wandering aimlessly to get there.

Master
    I did this trip a few years ago and really enjoyed it. As mentioned above Mt Washington is worth a visit (I did a couple of the hikes which were great). The bars and restaurants in Portland are excellent. A truly beautiful part of the world.

I’m working in Boston next week - I haven’t been there for a while so thanks for the traffic warnings!