closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A purchase / service question

A purchase / service question

I’m thinking of buying a watch from a Chrono24 private seller that is from 2011. It is an ETA 2895, hasn’t been serviced yet, but is little used. The seller tells me 100 days use, which I believe. On this basis, there won’t be much physical wear. I normally plan to service watches worn in my rotation about every 7-8 years, so normally this watch would be due a service now.

My question is, if lightly used, can I defer service for maybe 3-4 years, or will lubricant degradation make this in need of service regardless

I would be grateful for the collective advice

Thanks

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lubricant will still have aged. With little use it's also not moved very much. My inclination would be to get it service.

I've been in a similar situation. In 2010 I bought a 2002 Rolex that had not had a service. I wore the watch for 3 months to make sure it was right for me & then sent it off for a service. I felt at that point it became mine.

It's current back at Rolex for it's second service almost 9 years on.
    Last edited by Elwood; 13th June 2019 at 13:48. Reason: To make mi riting well good

I’ve no objection to servicing at all, although I have a vintage watch being serviced now, and I could do without another early service bill. I would regard “good for 3-4 years” as most acceptable!

Dave

Master
    The Watch is eight years old. We can’t really know how it’s been treated, or what state the mechanism is in. It’s just guesswork.
    Common sense points to a service.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’ve no objection to servicing at all, although I have a vintage watch being serviced now, and I could do without another early service bill. I would regard “good for 3-4 years” as most acceptable!

Dave
    If you factored in the cost of a service and added half of that to your budget, could you buy a newer one or a more recently serviced one?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    If you factored in the cost of a service and added half of that to your budget, could you buy a newer one or a more recently serviced one?
    No, I don’t think so

Pricing is very consistent, but condition is much better than most, and more importantly it has the right dial colour. I think all the alternatives are in a similar position regarding service.

I’m almost at the point of committing. My pause is because a recent Chrono24 acquisition, that was over 60 years old really did need a service! I suspect I could get a small reduction, based on a service need

D