closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting article on the 7750 movement

Craftsman

Interesting article on the 7750 movement

https://quillandpad.com/2018/09/22/v...y-and-numbers/

Interesting article with a lot in it, such as column wheel modifications.

Good article, thanks for sharing the link

Thanks for sharing, OP - articles like that just compound my confusion at the way ETA movements in general are rather frowned upon by some in the watch world. I've always felt that there's a reason that manufacturers at all levels in the business choose to base their movements on ETAs, and it goes further than just cost. Fundamentally these are well-designed, robust, extensively tested and versatile movements which lend themselves willingly to all sorts of modification and embellishment. What's not to like?

Interesting article , thanks for posting .

Walt Odets did an interesting very detailed breakdown of the 7750, its workings and construction.

https://www.minus4plus6.com/pdf/TheV...hronograph.pdf

I am always surprised at the cost of some watches that use this movement. This movement was designed to take on the quartz watches and was designed to be cheap to construct and manufacture and uses cheap materials.

There is nothing wrong with this in my opinion, the movement is robust and functions well and has stood the test of time. Just can't figure out why some manufacturers paint it as some horological jewel and charge accordingly. The thing is cheap to produce, it was designed to be.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Thanks for sharing, OP - articles like that just compound my confusion at the way ETA movements in general are rather frowned upon by some in the watch world. I've always felt that there's a reason that manufacturers at all levels in the business choose to base their movements on ETAs, and it goes further than just cost. Fundamentally these are well-designed, robust, extensively tested and versatile movements which lend themselves willingly to all sorts of modification and embellishment. What's not to like?
    These are great movements and there is nothing wrong with them. What I don’t like are the brands that do little other than engrave the rotor before casing and hide the movement by giving it their own made up calibre number. These brands then often pitch their watches in the same price range as the makers with in house movements.

Journeyman
    IWC comes to mind with the pilot chronograph

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sibo View Post
    IWC comes to mind with the pilot chronograph
    Much of the cost of the IWC comes down to the sheer quality of the watch. The case finishing makes Rolex look cheap & nasty. The bracelet I have on my chrono is sublime in both quality & construction … and yes IWC charge like a wounded Rhino for it.

The last generation of the Spitfire had "in house" movement and hand applied numerals, and was out of my price range as a result.
    It also had issues and was discontinued.

I was more than happy to get a 7750 powered chrono in the knowledge I was getting a robust & easy to maintain watch … infact it was a selling point for me.

Master
    Thanks for sharing the link 👍

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.