closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 113

Thread: Knife Bargain Of The Year - Be Quick

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948

    Knife Bargain Of The Year - Be Quick

    If you would like a good tough as nails very strong knife for tasks around the garden, around the farm or in the house you cannot beat these knives from Morakniv.

    Nearly half price currently.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    https://www.offgridweb.com/survival/...le-knife-test/

    Watch this to see how tough they are:

    https://youtu.be/fKlcBpKbAvM

  2. #2
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,028
    That is a good deal, thanks.. Got one being delivered tomorrow via prime.

  3. #3
    Thank you. Just ordered 4 for the scouts!

  4. #4
    One on the way! Cheers.

  5. #5
    Cheers.

    I normally go for these - much harder to lose when out and about in the field - but at just under 8 quid the grey version is an absolute steal!

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mora-Compan...f=cts_sp_3_vtp

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Cheers.

    I normally go for these - much harder to lose when out and about in the field - but at just under 8 quid the grey version is an absolute steal!

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mora-Compan...f=cts_sp_3_vtp
    The grey one in my link is thicker (3mm) and stronger, so very tough especially if you are misusing it as a lever.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    The grey one in my link is thicker (3mm) and stronger, so very tough especially if you are misusing it as a lever.
    No denying the durability etc, but having used one as a camp knife last month, both my friend and I agreed that it was inferior to the "regular" moras due to the blade thickness (yes, the whole 0.5mm difference). It will be perfectly capable, and you won't go wrong for that orice, but the concensus was that for things like feather sticks, it became more of a chore.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    No denying the durability etc, but having used one as a camp knife last month, both my friend and I agreed that it was inferior to the "regular" moras due to the blade thickness (yes, the whole 0.5mm difference). It will be perfectly capable, and you won't go wrong for that orice, but the concensus was that for things like feather sticks, it became more of a chore.
    I feel the Carbon Companion is the best they make in this budget end. Cheaper too, but I do imagine less resilient (still pretty bloody tough though!)

  9. #9
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,819
    Thanks for the heads up.

  10. #10
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    14,466
    Perfect knife for chopping out the anal cavity of roe and fallow deer.


    mike

  11. #11
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,819
    Bit big for a Muntjac
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th June 2019 at 15:18.

  12. #12
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    14,466
    Muntjac are small buggers, but they taste real good, starting to see them as far south as Sussex now.

  13. #13
    I've used knives bigger than that on muntac before.....

    https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...on-steel/56524

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Muntjac are small buggers, but they taste real good, starting to see them as far south as Sussex now.
    I have great admiration for muntjac, despite them being a non-native alien species.

    Resilient, adaptive, gregarious....what's not to like.


  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,072
    Thanks mate, just ordered one for garden work to try and save my Kershaw from the heavier duty jobs.

  16. #16
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,515
    Great knives, I recently bought one for messing about in the garden with. They lose their edge quickly but are easily sharpened. Complete bargain at that price.

    Do I really need another? (Or 3 to qualify for free postage?!)

  17. #17
    Grand Master andrewcregan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland
    Posts
    10,946
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Watch this to see how tough they are:

    https://youtu.be/fKlcBpKbAvM

    Watched it, then had to buy one
    No idea what I’ll do with it.

    Are they legal to carry?

  18. #18
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,515
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Watched it, then had to buy one
    No idea what I’ll do with it.

    Are they legal to carry?
    Not without a very good reason to do so. Essentially ‘no’.

  19. #19
    Grand Master andrewcregan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland
    Posts
    10,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Not without a very good reason to do so. Essentially ‘no’.
    I was going to leave one in my walking rucksack.
    Would never see a Policeman in a hundred years, but wouldn’t want to do something wrong.

  20. #20
    Master Kirk280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,515
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I was going to leave one in my walking rucksack.
    Would never see a Policeman in a hundred years, but wouldn’t want to do something wrong.
    “It’s illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less”

    If nobody will ask you what your good reason is then perhaps you don’t require one! Just don’t go all stabby stabby whilst walking.

  21. #21
    Grand Master andrewcregan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland
    Posts
    10,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    “It’s illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less”.
    Thanks for the information. Much appreciated

  22. #22
    Ordered one from Amazon although only gonna peel potato's with it . Unbelievable

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Watched it, then had to buy one
    No idea what I’ll do with it.

    Are they legal to carry?
    I keep one in the tool kit of each of my cars, it is a tool like any other tool.
    I use one for cutting up bait when I go fishing.
    If I go camping I use it for preparing feather sticks to start the fire.
    In the garden I use it for weeding, getting the ivy off wooden fence panels.

    Once you have had the knife for 6 months, you will wonder how you lived without it :-)

    I don't take it with me when I go into town shopping.
    I don't take it to the rugby match.
    I don't keep one in my work briefcase.

    If you cannot argue a justifiable reason for the having the knife in a situation or the average person would consider the purpose of having the knife in a situation to be as a weapon leave it at home.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,208
    Looks like it would be perfect for removing bezels too?

    Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Watched it, then had to buy one
    No idea what I’ll do with it.

    Are they legal to carry?
    If you want UK legal these take some beating


  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Looks like it would be perfect for removing bezels too?

    Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    If you are brave and have a very steady hand :-O

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    If you want UK legal these take some beating

    What price are they ?
    They look beautiful.

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948
    I have also got a couple of these in preparation for the zombie apocalypse, or the best tool for getting ivy of wooden fence panels and walls.

    Extol Premium stainless steel hunting knife 8855304

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyAbWuNeau0

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,508
    Thanks for the heads up OP.

    Got one primed for tomoz.

    B

    P.S. Advice pls - what do you knife buffs use to keep these sharp ???
    Last edited by Brian; 8th June 2019 at 10:40.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Thanks for the heads up OP.

    Got one primed for tomoz.

    B

    P.S. Advice pls - what do you knife buffs use to keep these sharp ???
    Scandi grind = sharpening stones. I'm not aware of other home sharpening systems that can sharpen these properly without putting a full on secondary edge bevel on (not generally desired but some want this).

  31. #31
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,211
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    I keep one in the tool kit of each of my cars, it is a tool like any other tool.
    I use one for cutting up bait when I go fishing.
    If I go camping I use it for preparing feather sticks to start the fire.
    In the garden I use it for weeding, getting the ivy off wooden fence panels.

    Once you have had the knife for 6 months, you will wonder how you lived without it :-)

    I don't take it with me when I go into town shopping.
    I don't take it to the rugby match.
    I don't keep one in my work briefcase.

    If you cannot argue a justifiable reason for the having the knife in a situation or the average person would consider the purpose of having the knife in a situation to be as a weapon leave it at home.
    Slightly confused as you say you have one "in the tool kit of each of your cars". If stopped by the police what would be your "justifiable reason"? I don't think describing it as a 'tool' would cover it, although it would be unlikely to be found on a routine stop. Might be worth considering.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  32. #32
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    13,868
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    What price are they ?
    They look beautiful.
    The Spyderco PITS (link) wasn't cheap and is now discontinued.

  33. #33
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    3,028
    Mine has arrived already and a top knife for the money and super sharp, I would not attempt to remove a caseback with it this sharp..

    The top of the blade shows the stamped out edge but what do you expect for £7! Because I can I have just levelled this off with my air sander, wet/dry and polished, degreased and used Birchwood Casey gun blue over the entire blade, done this a few times and now soaking in oil over night, this should help with anti corrosion.

    I'm almost tempted to buy another for the sake of it..

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Mine has arrived already and a top knife for the money and super sharp, I would not attempt to remove a caseback with it this sharp..

    The top of the blade shows the stamped out edge but what do you expect for £7! Because I can I have just levelled this off with my air sander, wet/dry and polished, degreased and used Birchwood Casey gun blue over the entire blade, done this a few times and now soaking in oil over night, this should help with anti corrosion.

    I'm almost tempted to buy another for the sake of it..
    The unpolished back edge is perfect for using with a Fire Steel Flint for lighting a fire.


  35. #35
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The Spyderco PITS (link) wasn't cheap and is now discontinued.
    Wow, but it is a stunning design and almost a work of art.

  36. #36
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    13,868
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Wow, but it is a stunning design and almost a work of art.
    I like Spyderco and have several of their knives (mainly their Salt offerings for use at sea).

    Might they be considered as the Omega of the knife world what with the number of models and the frequency with which they appear? I also own several Omega watches.

  37. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    217
    Just bought one... I have no idea what I'll use it for.. probably opening Amazon parcels!
    Still, it felt like my tool collection was incomplete without one.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Thank you. Just ordered 4 for the scouts!
    can you get right through a scout with one of these?
    joking....thanks for the heads up, I have an old one somewhere but at this price I won't even bother to look for it!
    also check out EKA knives- fantastic (also from Sweden)

  39. #39
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Slightly confused as you say you have one "in the tool kit of each of your cars". If stopped by the police what would be your "justifiable reason"? I don't think describing it as a 'tool' would cover it, although it would be unlikely to be found on a routine stop. Might be worth considering.
    There is always the risk of some Police Officer taking exception but provided the knife is out of the reach of the driver ie in the boot or in a tool kit ime the police have been just fine.

    There is nothing that special with having a knife, if you have a wheelbrace/screwdriver/hammer or even large torch in easy reach of the driver when stopped that can get you in trouble so the same rules apply for them also

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    There is always the risk of some Police Officer taking exception but provided the knife is out of the reach of the driver ie in the boot or in a tool kit ime the police have been just fine.

    There is nothing that special with having a knife, if you have a wheelbrace/screwdriver/hammer or even large torch in easy reach of the driver when stopped that can get you in trouble so the same rules apply for them also
    I understand you can have a baseball bat as long as you have a baseball with it ..I hope so anyway as I swing a few with my young lad at my local park .

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Wow, but it is a stunning design and almost a work of art.
    I picked both up for around £150 each. They really are a great bit of engineering. It’s also great that you can carry them without any worry.

  42. #42
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    There is always the risk of some Police Officer taking exception but provided the knife is out of the reach of the driver ie in the boot or in a tool kit ime the police have been just fine.


    There is nothing that special with having a knife, if you have a wheelbrace/screwdriver/hammer or even large torch in easy reach of the driver when stopped that can get you in trouble so the same rules apply for them also
    A car (including in the boot) is deemed a 'public place' in relation to carrying knives. Whether it is in reach of the driver or not is immaterial in law. I would doubt you have been stopped and found to be carrying a fixed blade knife in the boot without being reported for such, unless you can show good reason for having it. Having good reason a while ago, and forgetting it was there would not be included.

    If you or anyone else is carrying a fixed blade knife, lock knife, or folding knife with a blade over 3 inches in their car without good reason on the day, you may be in for a surprise if the police ever find it.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  43. #43
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    19,949
    Much of what oldoaky says is true, there are no certainties as each police officer may take a slightly different view of the knife, your reason for having it, and how easily accessible it is, transporting knives, saws and axes to bushcraft training we carry them in secured containers, and of course a blade over 3'' is illegal as is a locking pen knife.
    Last edited by number2; 8th June 2019 at 15:50.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  44. #44
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    256
    Cutting ivy off a fence panel sold it for me

  45. #45
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    17,389
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Much of what oldoaky says is true, there are no certainties as each police officer may take a slightly different view of the knife, your reason for having it, and how easily accessible it is, transporting knives, saws and axes to bushcraft training we carry them in secured containers.
    I’d say that, for what I know, everything he says in the post you quoted is true
    Don't take my silence for agreement. I've just realised you're too stupid to argue with.

  46. #46
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,895
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    A car (including in the boot) is deemed a 'public place' in relation to carrying knives. Whether it is in reach of the driver or not is immaterial in law. I would doubt you have been stopped and found to be carrying a fixed blade knife in the boot without being reported for such, unless you can show good reason for having it. Having good reason a while ago, and forgetting it was there would not be included.

    If you or anyone else is carrying a fixed blade knife, lock knife, or folding knife with a blade over 3 inches in their car without good reason on the day, you may be in for a surprise if the police ever find it.
    I know, I've had some of it.

    Stopped by the cops for using my horn , they decided to search my pickup and found a couple of lock knives in my glove box.

    They gave me a choice of confiscation or a trip to the station. I chose the former.

    They let me keep my machete though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    a blade over 3'' is illegal as is a locking pen knife.
    Times (and laws) change, just out of interest, I have an oldish Official World Scout Wenger SAK with a locking blade, although the lock is bloody hopeless.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/GtZbKlB




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Much of what oldoaky says is true, there are no certainties as each police officer may take a slightly different view of the knife, your reason for having it, and how easily accessible it is, transporting knives, saws and axes to bushcraft training we carry them in secured containers, and of course a blade over 3'' is illegal as is a locking pen knife.
    Cutting edge is specified, not blade length. A small detail to non knife folks, but they are not the same thing



    (3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 8th June 2019 at 16:23.

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Cutting edge is specified, not blade length. A small detail to non knife folks, but they are not the same thing
    And for the knife geeks - and pedants - I believe by contrast it is illegal to sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade (not cutting edge, note) 3 inches long or less.

    So one could theoretically sell a knife with a 3” long folding blade to someone under 18 that is then illegal to carry because it has a cutting edge of over 3”.

  50. #50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •