closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Discount at ADs

Discount at ADs

Hi All,

Following the success of "The Unified Rolex in the window" thread , I'd like to propose this thread for potential punters getting good deals.

I know that ADs aren't giving out any discount on any Rolex models (both classic and Professional) I have had some gifts.
    Of course, each deal is depended on the previous purchase history, location of the shop etc.

By the way, I am interested in IWC Portugieser in Goldsmiths/WoS and if anyone had any discount/deal, I would like to know as well.

Regards,

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Master
    I don't see how this would work TBH.

A discount is negotiated, so it depends on your skills and the AD willing to do a deal. The AD willingness, of course, depends on many factors. Just because one person gets a good discount does not mean the next person will

Some will be open to discount on principle, and that's always handy to know. Saves time and frustration. No point calling in to shops that others know never budge on price, hence handy tips from members.

As you say, how much can depend on your skill.

Master
    This is a tricky one, since ADs are under increasing pressure not to discount - some of the big companies are said to use mystery shoppers etc - and don't therefore like to gain a reputation for it.

My first Rolex purchased was back in Nov 2018 from the Goldsmiths.
    It was lady DJ 28 in Gold &Steel.
    I managed to get £200 off which is not a lot but it's something.
    Now , someone will come along and say I should have gotten more as precious metal Rolex are harder to shift and hence bigger discount.
    It's still good information for someone who is thinking of making that similar purchase.

Last edited by km9; 12th June 2019 at 16:53.

Journeyman
    I think this is a great idea, although people need to bear in mind it's not guaranteed that they will necessarily achieve the same discount, it gives people a good place to start.

It's the same for cars - you can use drive the deal and car wow to negotiate with your local dealer, even knowing you might not achieve the same level of discount as going further afield.

And I think some of the other less popular brands are definitely in with a chance for discount, i.e. Zenith, Tag, IWC, and even Omega to some extent.

Master
    You have to convince the dealer you are serious, and not just shopping around. Then you are in with a chance. Never start by discussing the price....

Master
    13.5% off a Rolex Explorer 11 But you need a time machine to travel back to 2014...the good old days when you could get a discount.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by km9 View Post
    And I think some of the other less popular brands are definitely in with a chance for discount, i.e. Zenith, Tag, IWC, and even Omega to some extent.

Agree on that - or get some goodies included- an extra strap, first service for free etc

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    13.5% off a Rolex Explorer 11 But you need a time machine to travel back to 2014...the good old days when you could get a discount.

You could even reserve a Rolex over the phone at Heathrow with £100 deposit and collect before you fly. VAT free even to EU.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

I imagine at some point in the not to distant future we will see this happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I imagine at some point in the not to distant future we will see this happening again.
    I can’t really see that happening unless Rolex decide to double their RRPs!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I can’t really see that happening unless Rolex decide to double their RRPs!
    What is your reasoning behind it not happening again?

Rolex are flavour of the month at the moment created by all the internet hype, Instagram etc but as soon as something else becomes the must have item i think we will see SS models back in AD's windows and prices falling back to reasonable levels with discounts from places like Iconic etc.

Anyone who thinks this will last forever is disillusioned.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 13th June 2019 at 20:28.

Just purchased another breitling - best I could get from Beaverbrooks or Lesley Davis was 12% - the same store gave me 23% in 2016.

I have gone grey as a result and have had 26% off.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If you "went grey" on a Rolex, you would be paying well above RRP.

Rolex is in demand so there's little chance of a discount but Breitling is easier to sell and hence the discounts. It's all down to supply and demand and Rolex are playing the game brilliantly.

Of course, but Rolex are almost alone in the "mid tier" market in that sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you "went grey" on a Rolex, you would be paying well above RRP.

Rolex is in demand so there's little chance of a discount but Breitling is easier to sell and hence the discounts. It's all down to supply and demand and Rolex are playing the game brilliantly.
    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

My last AD Rolex purchased was OP39 in Rodium dial from GS. No discount.

Previous another Rolex DJ28 SS base model and got some goodies ( Rolex baseball cap, travel watch case and a bottle of Bubbly).

Best

Mark

Craftsman
    Bought my son a Sea Dweller for his 21st. birthday nearly 15 years ago.

List was £2440 and without much haggling got 10% discount and paid £2196 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    What is your reasoning behind it not happening again?

Rolex are flavour of the month at the moment created by all the internet hype, Instagram etc but as soon as something else becomes the must have item i think we will see SS models back in AD's windows and prices falling back to reasonable levels with discounts from places like Iconic etc.

Anyone who thinks this will last forever is disillusioned.
    I just don’t see it happening.

Rolex aren’t really flavour of the month, they’ve been at the top of their game for decades although demand has increased significantly in the last few years. I just can’t see demand falling off to a level where supply isn’t still an issue. If demand is still an issue then there’s no need for the AD to discount and, as a consequence, no need for the grey market to sell at below RRP.

Maybe I am disillusioned but equally, it may be you who is; neither of us have a crystal ball!

Journeyman
    I think it also depends where you are, the market can slightly change from a country to another. From my experience with Tudor, I've seen ADs giving discounts for a BB GMT, and Bronze as well, and I don't think it happens here in the UK. But I might be totally wrong?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I just don’t see it happening.

Rolex aren’t really flavour of the month, they’ve been at the top of their game for decades although demand has increased significantly in the last few years. I just can’t see demand falling off to a level where supply isn’t still an issue. If demand is still an issue then there’s no need for the AD to discount and, as a consequence, no need for the grey market to sell at below RRP.

Maybe I am disillusioned but equally, it may be you who is; neither of us have a crystal ball!
    Dave

Why are you disillusioned ?

It is in everyones interest for Rolex to protect their brand by cutting back supply and keeping prices high. This protects their customers and past customers alike.

It may be painfull for someone who wants to buy today but at least they will be buying aomething that will slowly rise in value.

The last thing we want is for Rolex to go the way of Seiko, expensive today, valueless tomorrow.