Thought I'd see if the TZ community had any wisdom on this...

We are currently looking at moving house. The property we like has a conservatory which I think would be described as "Victorian" in style, with a 2 foot (ish) brick wall, UPVC windows all round and a poly carbonate roof. It is unheated and separated from the dining area by external sliding doors. Its approx. 4x4 m. Pretty much a typical conservatory from a decade or two ago I guess.

The longer term plan would be to replace with a property extension / orangery fully open and part of the main house to create a large open plan dining and entertaining space but this might be a longer-term project.

So the question... to make the space usable for a few years, has anyone got experience of having an insulated roof fitted (which seems to be something which is heavily promoted nowadays)... the idea being to make the space usable for more of the year until such time as we make serious changes.

Do these solutions make a difference? How much do they cost? Would it make such a marginal difference I would be better to put the money in the pot for doing it properly.

Appreciate this is all somewhat subjective but any direct experience of "improving" an existing conservatory of the style described would be really helpful.

Steve