So, some idiot randomly swerved into me, while on a motorcycle, last September. While slightly injured, I had my wits about me, photographed the accident scene in detail and got the details of a quality witness. Despite this, the chap who hit me claimed that I'd hit him and refused to admit liability.

Today, the solicitors working for the insurance company passed on a letter stating that the other party are ready to 'deal with his client's case on a without prejudice basis' and to forward medical evidence, damages and so on so that they can 'conclude the matter'.

The solicitor told me that this meant that the other party was comprehensive and was refusing to admit liability despite the overwhelming case against him, but that his insurers had seen the writing on the wall and decided to settle without his permission.

Checking this, I see that it doesn't appear to mean this at all, it just means that they are admitting liability in a manner that doesn't admit liability. I assume that this allows them to get a contingent sense of how expensive i might turn out to be but that allows them to renege at any point.

The bike is probably a write off and the protective stuff did its job and will need replacing. The only long term problem is damage to my triangular fibrocartilage complex in my right wrist. However, it's not healed and could be a long term problem as it stabilises the joint, which now often aches and is weaker than before.

I feel sure that there will be a few insurance experts who can explain what this all means.

Thanks in advance,

Matt