closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Has anybody owned an Orient Ray?

Master

Has anybody owned an Orient Ray?

I'm buying Klunk junior his first proper watch for his sixteenth birthday and browsing Creation's website, with the intention of ordering a Seiko SKX 007, I came across Orient's Ray 2.
    A review that I have read suggests that they are a genuine alternative to an SKX, but they are around £70-80 cheaper, so I'm wondering exactly how good are they and is the Seiko 5 sports/diver a closer comparison?

Has anybody owned one - if so what's your opinion, and should I stick with ordering the SKX?

Not sure about the Orient, but I've been wearing my 007 for the last few weeks and did notice on occasions the heftiness of the watch head, particularly on a jubilee, and have just swapped to a much lower profile watch for the weekend which is actually quite refreshing. Just something to consider, particularity if your lad is slight, as I'm not especially small.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Like me, he has fairly flat wrists about 6.5 inches so the size shouldn't be a problem.
    To keep the weight down, I was going to get him a couple of Natos to wear it on.

Master
    I've had both and think the Orient is up there with the SKX for quality etc. Just prefer the looks of the SKX which I why I still have one but sold the orient. Could you ask him which he prefers the look of or is it a surprise?

Master
    2nd gen ray unlike skx has hack/hw movement and more slender profile of case.

Dial, if blue version, is stunning.

Lume is weaker than skx.

Bracelet is au pair.

Mako/ray is more versatile watch, it can even vaguely pass as a everyday watch. Skx is more of a tool/diver.

On the other hand, SKX is ISO rated diver. Mako/ray is not, even if it has all the characteristics.

I owned all versions of ray/Malo and SKX, I always preferred Orient, if that means something.
    Last edited by sinner77; 10th June 2019 at 06:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I've had both and think the Orient is up there with the SKX for quality etc. Just prefer the looks of the SKX which I why I still have one but sold the orient. Could you ask him which he prefers the look of or is it a surprise?
    We have discussed me buying him a watch, so giving him the choice might be the best option.
    I'm on the fence on styling. I've never been a massive fan of the SKX, but still unsure which of the two I prefer myself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    We have discussed me buying him a watch, so giving him the choice might be the best option.
    I'm on the fence on styling. I've never been a massive fan of the SKX, but still unsure which of the two I prefer myself.
    I would give him the choice, your preference may not be the same as his (he might want a g shock😂).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I would give him the choice, your preference may not be the same as his (he might want a g shock).
    He has a G shock

Craftsman
    Get him one of these beauties, great value and looks. The reference is RA-AA0007A09B and you can get it for £200-250.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I got one for my son and he loves it. He started off with the bracelet for about 18 months and then has swapped to a blue rubber strap. I think it’s a good piece of kit for the money.

Here’s what I wrote about it in another thread:

“This is the watch I used to indoctrinate my teenage son.

Since then things have gone very well (or badly, depending on your point of view). He says he will always go for an automatic movement now and is very taken with the design.

He chose it from a shortlist of 3 stainless steel watches that I said he could ‘try’.

Now, aged 16, he sees the Submariner as the perfect ‘must have’ watch. I’m starting to wonder what I’ve done to the poor lad.

Anyway, the blue Orient Ray:

The orient is the better value overall but the SKX007k is a design classic.

I have had a gen 1 Orient Mako (pretty much the same watch as the Ray) for the last 10 years or so, it still gets worn at least once a week and was a daily for a number of years.
    In terms of quality, I think it's comparable with my gen 1 Monster - similar spec to the SKX - owned for roughly the same amount of time... Strangely enough, this ties in with when I joined TZ!
    Neither have been serviced, both subjected to water regularly and both still keeping good time.
    If I had to chose between the two, I would go for the Orient, as I think it has a more versatile look, but it's down to personal preference at the end of the day. Quality wise, I don't think you will go wrong with either.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I second the Orient recommendation - good value for money. I’ve had the Mako and Star.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks all for your input.

I've presented to him a couple of choices.

I figured he wouldn't want a dress watch so I gave him a choice between a diver with uni-directional bezel or Pilot style watch.

He chose the diver, so I've asked him to take a look at the various iterations of SKX's and the Orient Ray and Mako 2 and let me know which he prefers.

Personally, I would probably choose the Mako 2 with the blue dial, but we'll see what he opts for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    I have had a gen 1 Orient Mako (pretty much the same watch as the Ray) for the last 10 years or so, it still gets worn at least once a week and was a daily for a number of years.

Neither have been serviced, both subjected to water regularly and both still keeping good time.

If I had to chose between the two, I would go for the Orient, as I think it has a more versatile look, but it's down to personal preference at the end of the day. Quality wise, I don't think you will go wrong with either.
    I'd have to echo the above comments.

My blue Gen 1 Mako has been my dedicated travel watch (nice enough to dress-up; robust enough not to care) for the last six or so years, and hasn't missed a beat. That's despite some very rough treatment indeed, including flying-off wrist when I tumbled down some stadium concrete steps (the watch was fine, myself much less so).

For some reason, it's also the watch I own which has garnered the most unsolicited attention from strangers - I've been approached by foreigners at Pompeii & Berchtesgaden wanting to know what it was.

I put that down to the Mako's striking looks - a blue bezel insert & sun-burst dial that really catches the light.

For me it's a watch that has much more versatility that the SKX lines (much though I love those).

Have a look at the Orient kamasu. It's a newer diver, sapphire crystal as standard. There's the blue, black and these 2

I bought mine as a holiday watch. Far exceeded my expectations. Wear it most of the time. Gains 6 secs aday
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Thanks all for your input.

I've presented to him a couple of choices.

I figured he wouldn't want a dress watch so I gave him a choice between a diver with uni-directional bezel or Pilot style watch.

He chose the diver, so I've asked him to take a look at the various iterations of SKX's and the Orient Ray and Mako 2 and let me know which he prefers.

Personally, I would probably choose the Mako 2 with the blue dial, but we'll see what he opts for.
    Update - he chose an SKX 007.
    Now ordered and hopefully en route from Creation.