closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: Womens World Cup

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    321

    Womens World Cup

    Just watched the England Scotland highlights and these girls (both teams) could teach the lads a thing or two. Passing, tackling, penalties and passion

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,237
    But the Scottish girls mimic their male counterparts long history of plucky failure.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,414
    Off to watch England Vs Argentina next Friday.


    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    But the Scottish girls mimic their male counterparts long history of plucky failure.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    But they played with more balls or should that be more steel

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    But they played with more balls or should that be more steel
    Boys have played grittily for years and consistently snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. We do it all the time, in all sports. Look at the mauling we gave England in the 6 nations. Still couldn't beat em. We're the all time glorious losers.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    South Lanarkshire
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Just watched the England Scotland highlights and these girls (both teams) could teach the lads a thing or two. Passing, tackling, penalties and passion
    Watched the first half...passing was woeful, tackling was amateurish, decently took penalty...below the junior game and I'm probably being generous there! Just my opinion!

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,325
    The extra physicality in the menís game makes a big difference to how the game flows. The womenís game is a lot more pedestrian in comparison and normally they get more time on the ball. They are pretty skilful generally though. The huge difference is in the goalies. They are generally woeful for some reason though the size of the goal being the same as the menís may have something to do with it.

  8. #8
    Coverage and plugging by the BBC of this is way out of proportion to the interest in it IMO.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Coverage and plugging by the BBC of this is way out of proportion to the interest in it IMO.
    Agreed. If they were playing in my back garden I would close the curtains.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Coverage and plugging by the BBC of this is way out of proportion to the interest in it IMO.
    Agreed. I've tried watching the women's game, but much like watching league 2, the standard is so far away from the pl and cl it's just not that entertaining.



    Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Craftsman trott3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    greater manchester UK
    Posts
    401
    I have been enjoying it for 8 years or so now while i have grown increasing fed up with the mens.

    The players seem to be more like the players i remember in the 90s when i was growing up.
    ie not dead rich, mercenary and care about and enjoy the game.

    Martin

  12. #12
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    6,698
    Blog Entries
    1
    Perhaps not CL level but I dare to bet that most of those ladies are fitter and better players than most keyboard-soccer heroes here... It's only a matter of time. Take field hockey, cycling or sailing as other examples of proper ladies' achievements.

    M

  13. #13
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stuck in 1996
    Posts
    11,492
    These girls are inspirational for young girls who love their football. My nine year old plays and we've watched most games together. The mistake a lot of people make is comparing it to the men's game. It's a very different game.

    The standard is way higher than it was four years ago, that's for sure.

    Technically they're very good, physically they're fit and the aggression is definitely there; did you see China and Nigeria?

    I fully support the girls, the competition and female football. The other 6.1m who watched England v Scotland do too.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 10th June 2019 at 21:43.

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hants UK
    Posts
    185
    I just wonder about them playing to relatively small crowds in huge stadiums that make it look like a Sunday league. The 13-0 result yesterday says they're allowing any team to play regardless.
    That aside it's great for sport in general & should be encouraged, just not rammed down the TV public for it's own sake.

  15. #15
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stuck in 1996
    Posts
    11,492
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    I just wonder about them playing to relatively small crowds in huge stadiums that make it look like a Sunday league. The 13-0 result yesterday says they're allowing any team to play regardless.
    That aside it's great for sport in general & should be encouraged, just not rammed down the TV public for it's own sake.
    The game is going through the same process as the men's game did albeit it generations later. I can remember thrashings in the WC in the 70s, it's all part of the evolution. At this point in the evolution I wouldn't expect every game to sell out however stadiums must comply with FIFA conditions therefore it's usually the bigger ones that get the games.

    How do you think it's being "rammed down the TV public for it's own sake"?

    The games are being televised on terrestrial TV which is fantastic for the football loving public who've been priced out of watching their game by Sky and BT. Also, you don't have to watch it.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Penicuik, Midlothian, Scotland
    Posts
    3,310
    The Scottish scorer Emslie is a local lass from my hometown. I've been enjoying it so far.

    maseman

  17. #17
    Master Thewatchbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,405
    I enjoy watching the England matches, especially because Fran Kirby was my daughters best friend at primary school. When she used to call around as a 10 year old theyíd be out on the green kicking a football around! Even more remarkable when you think of the tragedy sheís overcome.

  18. #18
    Master pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,647
    I'm liking the chances of our American girls, especially after their 13-0 rout of Thailand.

  19. #19
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,918
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I'm liking the chances of our American girls, especially after their 13-0 rout of Thailand.
    I have no interest in women's football but USA should win it.

    It's been the default game for young girls for many years over there.

    I think that probably more teenage girls play football than teenage boys in the US where it is seen IME as a more female game.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  20. #20
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stuck in 1996
    Posts
    11,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    ....where it is seen IME as a more female game.
    In a country where the more macho sports are derivatives of rounders and netball and where they play rugby in full body and head armour.

  21. #21
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,918
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    In a country where the more macho sports are derivatives of rounders and netball and where they play rugby in full body and head armour.
    They actually play quite a lot of Rugby in the US in exactly the same gear as they wear here.

    Don't confuse it with Gridiron.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  22. #22
    Master pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    ...where it is seen IME as a more female game.
    Which, of course, it is.

  23. #23
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    6,698
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I have no interest in women's football but USA should win it.

    It's been the default game for young girls for many years over there.

    I think that probably more teenage girls play football than teenage boys in the US where it is seen IME as a more female game.

    I remember the first time we sat down on the beach near Ft Myers with the boys. They were totally impressed by the skills of the girls playing soccer on the beach. "Wow, that's better than the boys at school!" Later, my oldest went to the Dutch equivalent of secondary education and, as a result of his sailing capacities and ambitions, was put in a class with other potential top-athletes. Including girls who play soccer. During PE hours, he never wanted to play soccer in a team without the girls...

    Perhaps it lacks the speed of men soccer, but I think that no 11 players/forumites selected into the TZ-UK All-Star team 'FC Eddie's Finest' can win from -let's say- the USA team.

    Menno

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    The extra physicality in the menís game makes a big difference to how the game flows. The womenís game is a lot more pedestrian in comparison and normally they get more time on the ball. They are pretty skilful generally though. The huge difference is in the goalies. They are generally woeful for some reason though the size of the goal being the same as the menís may have something to do with it.
    I have watched the highlights of most of the watches and agree the standard of goal keeping is awful. Butter fingers come to mind!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,918
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I remember the first time we sat down on the beach near Ft Myers with the boys. They were totally impressed by the skills of the girls playing soccer on the beach. "Wow, that's better than the boys at school!" Later, my oldest went to the Dutch equivalent of secondary education and, as a result of his sailing capacities and ambitions, was put in a class with other potential top-athletes. Including girls who play soccer. During PE hours, he never wanted to play soccer in a team without the girls...

    Perhaps it lacks the speed of men soccer, but I think that no 11 players/forumites selected into the TZ-UK All-Star team 'FC Eddie's Finest' can win from -let's say- the USA team.

    Menno
    Hi Menno,

    Personally I think the Women's football I have seen is light years away in quality from the Men's game but regarding your adolescent son, who wouldn't want to play football with girls? I certainly would at that age.

    To put it in context, Australia who are currently sixth in the FIFA rankings were beaten 7-0 by a team of 15 year old boys.

    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a3257266.html
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  26. #26
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    6,698
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thatís interesting! Thanks for posting. Field hockey springs to mind. Somehow, I donít think that a squad of 15 y/old hockey players would be able to beat the Aussie female national hockey squad.

    M

  27. #27
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    23,918
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Thatís interesting! Thanks for posting. Field hockey springs to mind. Somehow, I donít think that a squad of 15 y/old hockey players would be able to beat the Aussie female national hockey squad.

    M
    Yes, I would imagine there wouldn't be such of gulf in quality in FH.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  28. #28
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hants UK
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

    How do you think it's being "rammed down the TV public for it's own sake"?

    The games are being televised on terrestrial TV which is fantastic for the football loving public who've been priced out of watching their game by Sky and BT. Also, you don't have to watch it.
    I don't watch it. I think it's being rammed down theTV public because it make national news on a regular basis when there are plenty of women's (and men's) sports that have a much larger following & much larger participant % that get next to no coverage at all other than when it suits the PC MSM e.g. when the Olympics are on.

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,125
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    I don't watch it.
    Why are you bothered then? Maybe you just arenít the intended audience.

    Itís the pinnacle of one of the most popular sports in the world for women and girls, once every four years doesnít seem too much of an interruption to all the other mainly rubbish on TV.

    Personally I enjoy any football match where the two teams have got some skill and are going all out to win.

  30. #30
    Grand Master VDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whitehole
    Posts
    18,986
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    I don't watch it. I think it's being rammed down theTV public because it make national news on a regular basis when there are plenty of women's (and men's) sports that have a much larger following & much larger participant % that get next to no coverage at all other than when it suits the PC MSM e.g. when the Olympics are on.
    Exactly. The BBC can't seem to report on football, rugby or whatever w/o following it up with a similar report on the women's equivalent. It's a minority interest sport and the coverage should reflect that rather than the BBC seeming to have to be politically correct and give equal coverage to the female version in an attempt to increase interest where there's naturally very little.

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,237
    Some strong skills in the Brazil v Australia.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,125

    Womens World Cup

    Surely with about 500 channels + streaming and mobile itís worth experimenting with Ďminorityí interests, otherwise weíd be watching Britainís Got Talent every day.

    Womenís football games in the early 1900s apparently used to get tens of thousands of spectators until 1921 when the FA banned women from playing at FA clubs, until 1971! Effectively the game lost at least 50 years of development, during a period when the menís game changed beyond recognition (remember Puskas and the Hungarians teaching us a lesson in the 50s, removal of the wage cap etc.).

    If you donít like it, watch something else but why moan about it?

  34. #34
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,358
    Blog Entries
    4


    OK not pc just a bit of fun but if the competition is not for you just move on i do it with baseball,basketball,F1,darts,ODI and on and on.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post


    OK not pc just a bit of fun but if the competition is not for you just move on i do it with baseball,basketball,F1,darts,ODI and on and on.
    Easier to avoid those other sports. New bulletins, breakfast TV etc full of this tosh.

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    1,789
    I have no interest in it, feel its like watching a kids friendly every time I've tried, yet its all over tv (stupid advert which goes on for ever) and now they are talking about a result were someone won 13-0 and saying it was disrespectful to the opponents because they celebrated when they scored, for the love of god...

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,125
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    Sorry, should have said BBC/ITV etc TV time.
    Just joining up the two threads with the same name. Mike made a point that hockey is a lot more popular than womenís football but hardly gets any coverage. I mentioned the hockey coverage on BT Sport, which Mike rightly pointed out isnít terrestrial free to air.

    The hockey and the football are both on at the moment. I have to say Jamaica v Italy womens football seems a lot more popular than Spain vs New Zealand mens hockey.

    I suppose I am trying to prove a point, which is surely its fine to televise both.


  38. #38
    Master pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,647
    In the U.S., soccer is a second (or third) tier sport. I never watch men's soccer ("football") of any sort, and just have no interest...but I am a big fan of women's World Cup and Olympic soccer.

    I guess I see enough elite men's competition in NFL football, NBA basketball, and ML Baseball.


  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,125
    I tell you what, the England Argentina game is really hotting up.

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,125
    Get in!

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,414
    The Argentina goalkeeper played a blinder, the referee was Argentinas second best player

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    We enjoyed that game, better than watching Rooney latterly ambling round the field.

    Nowt wrong with a bit of ladies footie on the telly.

  43. #43
    Craftsman trott3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    greater manchester UK
    Posts
    401
    Sweet goal from jodi taylor after finally a dangerous cross.
    Surprised how poor parish penalty was compared to the confidence shown against scotland.
    Still, their goalie played well compared to how poor the commentors made her out to be.
    Missed both the power and placement of the scotland pen.

    Any how a better performance overall than scotland as we dominated both halves.

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,125
    It was a great cross, shame she had been quite erratic before that or we would have had more goals. Mead and Woodford look quite a good pairing on the left wing.

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,325
    Goalie stuff (more or less what I said before) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48650306

  46. #46
    Master pacifichrono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,647
    USA 3, Chile 0


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •