closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rooflight Problems - What to do?

Rooflight Problems - What to do?

I bought these 1m x 2m triple glazed rooflights from eBay about 6 months ago and had them fitted to our new extension. They had very good reviews and my builder said he'd used these (or something similar) many times before and never had any problems. So. I thought the risk was low.

So, 6 months later I've noticed small amounts of condensation in both units, which means the triple glazed seals must have failed already. Great. I presume the condensation will only get worse with time. Now I think I've got only two options;

1. Leave as is. They are not in the eye line and are only there to provide light from above. Live with the fact that the condensation may get worse, but given they get dirty pretty quickly and they are above our heads, I'm not sure we'll notice that much. But, this will bug me.

2. Replace them. Who knows how that will go when I contact them. But it's a pain in the arse to replace them as they are one unit and glued in. Will cost £££s

3. Any other option I have that anyone can advise?

I didn't think about the whole issue that one unit would cause. In hindsight I should have bought something where the glazing could be removed from the frame. Ho hum.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I would keep them until the condensation becomes significant. Then , in a couple of years or later, change them with a new unit bought with product warranty etc

I gather there is not an option, as in the home units, to take the rim off and replace or get fixed the glass unit,

Have you contacted the seller? (Was it from an eBay shop)

I would let it get worse and then change if you can’t get any support from the seller.

I’d try the seller first, no joy then contact the manufacturer, no joy then PayPal but due to the length of time they probably won’t be interested so then hopefully you paid via credit card so contact them.

Craftsman
    You could always put some type of film on the glass, you would have to balance a slight loss of light against masking the condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I’d try the seller first, no joy then contact the manufacturer, no joy then PayPal but due to the length of time they probably won’t be interested so then hopefully you paid via credit card so contact them.
    I bought them in August 2018 using PayPal, but now over the 180 day dispute period. But I did use credit card via PayPal. That said I”m in no position to return the windows. The builder said at the time that once they’re in, they’re not coming out.

I’ve sent an message via eBay saying replace or refund. Not sure where this will go, but at best I can maybe expect some refund as you can’t replace them easily. At worst, I’ll have to live with them.

I can see a small claims coming on if the company just ignore.

If they are glazed sealed units then is there no way that just the sealed units can be replaced?

If they are glazed sealed units then is there no way that just the sealed units can be replaced?
    Unfortunately not, it is just one unit, and the whole unit is glued into place.

Imagine it’s just a UPVC double glazed window. Well taken away the UPVC bit and what’s left if glued into a wooden frame.

If I've missed this apologies, you bought them off ebay, had they been previously fitted?
    I ask because if not you really ought to contact the manufacturer as the product would have had a guarantee, normally you or the installer would activate the guarantee with the manufacturer at the time of fitting.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

If no joy with the seller. Maybe approach a local glazier? You can get the sealed units replaced on normal double glazed windows so cannot see a reason these couldn’t be reglazed; even if you lose the triple glazing for double. The ‘U’ value will not be too different. Got to be better value than complete new windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Personally, I would keep them until the condensation becomes significant. Then , in a couple of years or later, change them with a new unit bought with product warranty etc,
    Trouble is, the space in the roof is bespoke to the rooflight I’ve bought. No other rooflight is going to fit without major roof rework.

The more I think about it, the more I think I’m snookered.

From the ads on eBay I saw it claimed to have a 25 year warranty? No doubt they’ll try and blame it on the installation?

Not a fix as such but as a masking exercise, is there space in the aperture below the skylight to fit a secondary frame with an obscure glazed (possibly even lightweight acrylic) panel? Unfortunately double/triple glazed units in exposed positions can and do fail but this way at least you won’t have to look at the condensation in the units.

You can buy frosting film , super easy to apply if you do down the masking route .

Craftsman
    I think it best to seek advice before applying film to a roof light as some can reflect heat and the glass can crack.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

From the ads on eBay I saw it claimed to have a 25 year warranty? No doubt they’ll try and blame it on the installation?
    I don’t think it’ll be worth the paper it’s written on. Panoroof is still on eBay, but the parent company who where named on my PayPal payment, Cucina (Essex) Limited is permanently closed and the Panoroof website has disappeared. It doesn’t bode well for getting this resolved.

One thing I’ve now learned is never pay by PayPal as it voids Section 75 consumer credit act, which means I can’t go to my CC company for resolution, as PayPal where the intermediary. PayPal won’t want to know as its been nearly 300 days, and chargeback is no use after 120 days.

So, I’ll put this down to experience, and one I’ll learn from. Apart from this item, I’ve never bought or sold anything on eBay.

As I said they are rooflights, and provide light from above, and there’s no need to stare out from them, so the light condensation that has formed is not so bothersome. The only reason I noticed was the slight shadow on the wall from the sun shining through. Just bugs me a bit though.

Thanks for the suggestions around applying film, which I may do if it gets bad.

Panoroof have 100% feedback on eBay, and have been on the site since 2004. If I get no resolution can I leave them poor feedback many months after purchase?

Can’t imagine I’m the only customer with this problem, so what’s their trick to keeping 100% positive feedback?

Panoroof may have 100% feedback on ebay but not elsewhere, this company

https://www.essexroofskylights.co.uk/contact/

Seem to operate from the exactly the same address,

ESSEX ROOF SKY LIGHTS
    Units 6B & 6C,
    Ivy Lodge Farm
    179 Shepherds Hill,
    Harold Wood,
    Romford,
    ESSEX, RM3 0NR.

If as I suspect they are the manufacturer I would contact them regarding the 'Panoroof' guarantee, and if no luck would begin a claim via the small claims court.
    Last edited by number2; 10th June 2019 at 06:32.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    I thought I saw a youtube video on demisting double glazed windows, so looked for it again.

This is the company:

https://www.getthemistout.com/Default.asp

And this is the video:

https://youtu.be/du-Fu2V4oVo

Not a bad idea for large / difficult to replace units
    Last edited by Franco; 10th June 2019 at 07:30.

After I sent a message via eBay to Panoroof last night, I had a reply first thing this morning and a phone call straight away. All good so far.

They said that issues with these roof lights are very low, and that two to go at once is unprecedented.

They will send out someone to inspect. He did mention that he wanted to make sure correct sealant had been used inline with installation guidelines. I think black silicone sealant was used, so can’t see how that is an issue.

I’ll see how this one plays out.

If they are sealed units then I can’t personally see how the exterior sealant would affect the performance of the units?

Also that’s a very good point you’ve raised about credit cards and PayPal and not one that I had ever considered before, so you forego credit protection as the card is used to pay PayPal?
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 10th June 2019 at 10:01.

If they are sealed units then I can’t personally see how the exterior sealant would affect the performance of the units?

Also that’s a very good point you’ve raised about credit cards and PayPal and not one that I had ever considered before, so you forego credit protection as the card is used to pay PayPal?
    Yes, you forego CC protection. I didn’t know that until last night.

Good read below.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cr...Pal-Section75/

I know many of you will be waiting with bated breath for an update, so here goes.

Panoroof came and inspected the rooflights and said it was an installation fault. The builder said he’d installed loads of these and said it was a manufacturing fault. I believe it was a manufacturing problem. Panoroof source from China, and if I’d have known that, I’d have never had bought them.

Panoroof offered replacement rooflights but I declined and asked for a refund. They offer 50% (£500) refund and I took it.

Bought more expensive rooflights (Atlas) for £1500 and my builder fitted them for cost (£800). It was a pain in the arse job as the rooflights had to be cut out, the kerb rebuilt, new GRP for the roof, and re-plastering and painting. The builder did a fantastic job and the new rooflights look great. You can’t tell they’ve been replaced, the job being so good.

With the contribution from Panoroof, the whole debacle cost me £1800, but money well spent.

My advice is to keep well clear of Panoroof rooflights. As the are silicone sealed into the roof internally and externally, if you ever need to replace them, it’s a big job. And it would have been even more expensive if the builder hadn’t done it for cost.

Buy cheap, buy twice - lesson learned.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 3rd November 2019 at 00:03.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I know many of you will be waiting with bated breath for an update, so here goes.

Panoroof came and inspected the rooflights and said it was an installation fault. The builder said he’d installed loads of these and said it was a manufacturing fault. I believe it was a manufacturing problem. Panoroof source from China, and if I’d have known that, I’d have never had bought them.

Panoroof offered replacement rooflights but I declined and asked for a refund. They offer 50% (£500) refund and I took it.

Bought more expensive rooflights (Atlas) for £1500 and my builder fitted them for cost (£800). It was a pain in the arse job as the rooflights had to be cut out, the kerb rebuilt, new GRP for the roof, and re-plastering and painting. The builder did a fantastic job and the new rooflights look great. You can’t tell they’ve been replaced, the job being so good.

With the contribution from Panoroof, the whole debacle cost me £1800, but money well spent.

My advice is to keep well clear of Panoroof rooflights. As the are silicone sealed into the roof internally and externally, if you ever need to replace them, it’s a big job. And it would have been even more expensive if the builder hadn’t done it for cost.

Buy cheap, buy twice - lesson learned.
    At least it's sorted now. You did the best thing in my opinion, took what was available from the original supplier and moved on. Yes it cost you money, but you sorted it and thats what counts.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.