closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: FS without pics

FS without pics

Is it just me, or is it increasingly prevalent for sales listings not to include images and for the seller to instead say they’re available via PM / email ?

Call me cynical, but in these scenarios I always suspect there might be some small problem with the watch, one that the seller doesn’t want to bring to the scrutiny of the forum as a whole. I can genuinely see no other reason - save indolence - for not posting images.

Right now for instance, there’s a watch listed in this way on SC that I might otherwise buy, but I find the input of the broader forum (or at least, a seller’s willingness to expose a watch to that scrutiny) too valuable to do without.

Am I alone in this view?

PS I should add that I’m not making any point about a specific seller or listing here; there are several currently in this category.

Master
    I’ve always just thought it was more to do with some people simply having issues/difficulty posting photos on a forum whereas sending them direct from a phone to email etc is far easier for some.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As a general rule I can see where you are coming from. But of course there are exceptions such as the purchase I've just agreed (I'll be the third owner within two weeks of it's release date so no problems)

I've had the same thoughts on a few occasions, there have been more than a couple of examples of dodgy dealings being identified through photos when brought to the attention of the forum as a whole. Sweepinghand and the TAG being one example.

No doubt, the likelihood of such shenanigans being discovered are greatly reduced if the photos are released to only a few.

For me it's simple; if you can't post photos, or don't want to, I don't want to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    As a general rule I can see where you are coming from. But of course there are exceptions such as the purchase I've just agreed (I'll be the third owner within two weeks of it's release date so no problems)
    There are people whose integrity, I'd like to think, is beyond reproach. But then there have been people caught at shenanigans who liked to tell us how their integrity was beyond reproach.

It isn't just a case of whether the watch is fake or not, it's also about condition of the watch and things like disguising it's origins in order to make a quick profit off the rich mugs on TZ-UK.

I think it depends on the seller. If someone posts an in demand piece like a Sub LV at a decent price it will sell quickly. If pics are available via email that's fine. Anybody who's going to splash 10k on something they are looking for will be happy to enter into dialogue via PM or email before parting with their cash.
    Some people here just like to complain.
    If it's an unusual or limited edition of some sort then photos would benefit the seller more.
    The only thing that grates me is adverts stating 'out somewhere or other now but will post pics when I get to a computer '.
    Really? Shopping in sainsbury's but felt the desperate need to sell a watch before you get home?
    Just do the full ad when you get home and you don't need to ruin the Sainsbury's experience!

Master
    It's lazy.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    No photos in a sales listing has two problems for me, the first being I can not see the condition of the watch and having to email someone just to see them is a pain (quality and quantity of photos is a whole different issue). The second being quite often I don’t recognise the model, so I either have to look it up myself (not hard, I know) or I just move on to the next listing....

Journeyman
    If they can't be bothered to post pics then what else can't they be bothered to do? It's a red flag for me.

To be fair, it's not always intentional. I'm coming across more and more where they show on desktop and not in mobile, and vice versa. The OP won't know unless they're told.

Craftsman
    I quickly bounce from sales posts w/o pics...what’s the point!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toast3d View Post
    If they can't be bothered to post pics then what else can't they be bothered to do? It's a red flag for me.
    Alternatively if a buyer cannot be bothered to do a google search, is he a serious buyer.

Unless it a really rare or unusual model, does a pic make any difference. I don't think so.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Alternatively if a buyer cannot be bothered to do a google search, is he a serious buyer.

Unless it a really rare or unusual model, does a pic make any difference. I don't think so.
    I disagree with you. There are so many variables that are cleared up by posting a nice picture - including intent to sell.

Master
    I disagree with you. There are so many variables that are cleared up by posting a nice picture - including intent to sell.
    I will admit that a seller increases his chances of getting a quick sale if he includes half a dozen good quality pics and in a way he would be foolish not to do so.

On the other hand if I was looking for a particular model, I would buy it on a non pic advert. I bought my last watch on this basis. It was a Daytona that had just come back from a service, so that was good enough to merit a 70 mile journey to take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Hi, I'd like the buy the Volkswagen golf you have on auto trader but there are any pics. Can you upload some please?

It's a blue golf just go on Google if you want to see what one looks like. Serious buyers only.

Master
    In general I learn a lot from Sales Threads and it’s great to see all the various items available. Not posting photos doesn’t contribute to the collective wisdom of the forum or allow genuine red flags to be called.

If you don’t have pics available or can’t post images then wait until you do / can.

Quote Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
    ^^^
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
    You probably weren't looking for that specific watch in the first place then. A PM for an email address is hardly an issue.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I'm guilty of this ever since my iPad for some very strange reason is intermittent at uploading pics.Whenever I post a watch for sale and state this I'm inundated with offers of help or do this or do that!,I do actually know how to upload the pics and for those interested would see it was never an issue in the years gone by whenever I've sold anything.
    Id also stress there are no concerns or issues with any of my watches,and I'd also add barring the one I bought off the forum from a forum member last night (Super Barret vintage diver) all were bought of the forum,so if they did have any issues the previous owner hid them rather well hey!.
    I personally have absolutely NO beef with any sales post that I see with NO pics with a request via email,If I'm interested in that watch I damn well aware of the watch etc etc if I'm contemplating go ahead to buy it,and that's when I'd request his/her pics........very simple.There are by far a lot more things to get tetchy about,and pics of a watch for sale on a watch forum sits way way below anything to be of concern for me?
    The amount of times I've tried to upload pics for it not to be succesful has quite frankly got to the point where I very rarely want to try now,and not only for that reason but also because of the replies on what to and how to do it.

But be advised if you ever see a watch I have for sale without pics,I will have tried to upload some,if there great if not and if interested I WILL send pics for sure.

Stress not.......have a nice weekend,I will I'm going to the pub now.

Depends on who the seller is

There are a number of people on here that I would buy from without hesitation with no pictures posted as I know they can be trusted implicitly

Grand Master
    And so for someone like me who has and still does have issues uploading pics,would it be better to say who I bought it off with his pics of the watch?,because to some that seems a huge crime too and another topic/thread!,I would have no qualms seeing a post (from the past!) of mine used by anyone tbh,what harm can it possibly do,and I'd only then add to it by stating anything different since the purchase which is only the right thing to do.

Lets not make it sound difficult to click keys on a PC keyboard!.........some are too easy to be forever using their keyboards to police the forum with what's right or wrong or what gets there goat without any hardship!.

Chill out people......

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Depends on who the seller is

There are a number of people on here that I would buy from without hesitation with no pictures posted as I know they can be trusted implicitly

Ive done exactly the same too as I'd guess many on here have and will continue to do so.

Personally I really like pics purely because it's a great way for me to see watches that I otherwise never knew existed; it's lazy window shopping but I've also learned lots about more niche brands from this.

If I was in the market for a certain something and ready to transfer thousands of pounds I'd definitely want to see what I was potentially getting though - a picture speaks a thousand words and all that....but if I was in that position then I also wouldn't mind too much about PMing for pics. It would give me slight pause though, it's reassuring to see what's on offer and I like to do my research before I part with my hard earned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I'm guilty of this ever since my iPad for some very strange reason is intermittent at uploading
    Have you tried the Tapatalk app for iPad? Works flawlessly for me on iPad and iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Have you tried the Tapatalk app for iPad? Works flawlessly for me on iPad and iPhone.
    As above, I have the original tapatalk app on an android phone, works perfectly (not the TZ app).
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I generally take the view if a seller can’t be bothered to post photos i can’t be bothered buying their item.

Just get Tapatalk and the app uploads and hosts the pics for you so really easy to do.

Grand Master
    guilty of doing this, mainly because it's a pita to upload to the forum from imgur via iphone, so i have to wait until i'm on my laptop. i've sorted them out now though!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Just get Tapatalk and the app uploads and hosts the pics for you so really easy to do.
    I did that but the quality and resolution was shocking, and it wasn't apparent when using a phone. Only when looking at them on a monitor did I see how terrible they were. Are there settings one can tweak?

This gets messed up too as they have a habit of showing and disappearing. I've found my and blocker was the culprit, so may impact others too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I did that but the quality and resolution was shocking, and it wasn't apparent when using a phone. Only when looking at them on a monitor did I see how terrible they were. Are there settings one can tweak?
    On iOS it always asks me for the size when uploading so I just select the largest. Have to be honest I don’t think I’ve checked on a large screen to see what they look like.

On iOS it always asks me for the size when uploading so I just select the largest. Have to be honest I don’t think I’ve checked on a large screen to see what they look like.
    They are ok. I checked my own photos and they are no worse than those hosted on flickr and linked via code.