closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex.org

Rolex.org

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask how many of you are aware of a separate site launched by Rolex back in December called Rolex.org?

It was designed to highlight their history, philanthropic initiatives etc

Master
    Nice! Thankyou.

Craftsman
    Very good

link rolex.org

I'm actually meeting the Rolex marketing team next week and thought some feedback from like minded watch enthusiasts would be good for them.....

Thanks for posting. It’s a nice site and I hadn’t realised that Rolex had funded all of these initiatives since the 1970s. Long may they continue.

You could ask them when you see them, why they are still making the ‘first waterproof wristwatch’ claim on the first page ;).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Wilsdorf really was a visionary and it's a fine refocusing of his vision that does credit to it.
    However, like alfat33 I'm irritated by the usual implications concerning Everest.

I didn’t mention Everest. In fact the site is quite straightforward and uncontroversial about that.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Thanks for posting. It’s a nice site and I hadn’t realised that Rolex had funded all of these initiatives since the 1970s. Long may they continue.

You could ask them when you see them, why they are still making the ‘first waterproof wristwatch’ claim on the first page ;).
    It is all about the wording. It says they ‘launched’ the first waterproof watch:-)
    BTW, this may have been posted here before but I haven’t noticed it. Here is a good documentation of history of waterproof watch.
    http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is all about the wording. It says they ‘launched’ the first waterproof watch:-)
    BTW, this may have been posted here before but I haven’t noticed it. Here is a good documentation of history of waterproof watch.
    Interesting read, many thanks. I had not seen that before. On the basis of the article surely Rolex should be saying:

"Introduced their (our) first waterproof watch"

It seems they had been pipped to the line by a few manufacturers some decades earlier!

Many people think that Rolex introduced the first waterproof watch, or at least the first waterproof wristwatch. But in fact you will have to read a long way down this page past numerous waterproof watches and wristwatches before you come to the first waterproof Rolex watch, the Rolex Oyster. In the Rolex jubilee vade mecum, Hans Wilsdorf talks about the launch of the Rolex Oyster in 1927 and window displays they devised for retailers with an aquarium forming a centre piece - I wonder if he knew that he was following in the footsteps of Messrs. Pettit and Trappett and the method of display they chose for their waterproof watch that was made some 76 years earlier?

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Indeed, they are being more careful.

I have quoted that site myself recently in another context. David Boettcher really is an expert in this field (and others), which led me into buying a very early waterproof pocket watch of my own not long ago.

It's good feedback for the marketing team as I suspected, not many of us knew this site existed and they aren't promoting it very much.