closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super loose watch wearers - why?!

Super loose watch wearers - why?!

This guy in the lift at work takes the biscuit.

What do we think - ordered online and never resized or prefers it that way?

Surely it must be super annoying day to day and get in the way.

Journeyman
    Seems to be the fashion. Would annoy the hell out of me!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I briefly worked with a shady Slovakian guy who did it, so from a sample set of one I associate it with heavy-set dodgy Eastern European men in black leatherette jackets.

Master
    I like to wear the bracelet sufficiently loosely that I can get a finger underneath it. When my wrist swells it's still comfortable. It's just the way I like it. I took my DJ to the RSC to have a link put in because with the standard number of links & the 5mm extension deployed it still felt tight on my 7.75"wrist.

Master
    I genuinely think a lot of folk don’t realise it’s possible to re-size them.

I think it is a style preference. Some think it is cool to wear it as such, while the more conservative amongst us would suggest that a watch strap/bracelet should extend beyond the ulnar styloid. Obviously, a loose bracelet would not make sense with a cuffed shirt. We need to give people more credit and while the regular guy on the street may not know much about watches, most are smart enough to know they can be sized.

Must be terribly painful if you trip/fall and have to put your hand out flat on the floor. You could break bones in your hand. It is odd.
    My old boss used to wear his Daytona like a bangle. I figured it was so everyone could always see it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    My old boss used to wear his Daytona like a bangle. I figured it was so everyone could always see it.
    That's what I would figure aswell. On a pub crawl recently in a trendy city bar I saw two young hipsters, well dressed and with Rolex watches very loose dangling below their shirt cuffs. Reminded me of the old stereotypical 80s car salesman with the watch jangling around.

I can't stand it - someone at work does the same thing with his Daytona and I just can't bear to see it sloshing around his wrist like some oversized man bracelet.

Just as I would much rather a big watch on a smallish wrist than the other way around, I would find it less distasteful seeing a watch hanging loosely rather one constricting a wrist.

Master
    Other thing is a loose bracelet wears everything faster, pins clasp etc

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Just as I would much rather a big watch on a smallish wrist than the other way around, I would find it less distasteful seeing a watch hanging loosely rather one constricting a wrist.
    This is something that makes me wince and can even put me off a watch, a strap with a boa-like grip on a pudgy wrist.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    That's what I would figure aswell. On a pub crawl recently in a trendy city bar I saw two young hipsters, well dressed and with Rolex watches very loose dangling below their shirt cuffs. Reminded me of the old stereotypical 80s car salesman with the watch jangling around.
    I like mine to have a little movement, dangling like a bangle is not a good look & probably bad for the bracelet. My wrist swells & l like it to be a bit loose so it doesn't mark the skin when I take it off. My DJ was a perfect fit (no spare room at all). It always felt slightly tight so that I was aware of its presence, even with the 5mm extension deployed. When I removed it, there was an Oyster bracelet imprinted on my wrist.
    The addition of 1 link removed the tight feeling, gave a little bit of movement without being (imo) too loose. It's comfortable but it won't slide right around the wrist & probably travels up & down no more than 1.5".

Blog Entries
    Everyone is not the same. Why impose rules on others?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    ... like some oversized man bracelet.
    Isn't that exactly what it is? A man bracelet with a watch?

M

Be grateful, it's 'these types' that are pushing up the values of all your desk divers and safe queens.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I like mine to have a little movement, dangling like a bangle is not a good look & probably bad for the bracelet. My wrist swells & l like it to be a bit loose so it doesn't mark the skin when I take it off. My DJ was a perfect fit (no spare room at all). It always felt slightly tight so that I was aware of its presence, even with the 5mm extension deployed. When I removed it, there was an Oyster bracelet imprinted on my wrist.
    The addition of 1 link removed the tight feeling, gave a little bit of movement without being (imo) too loose. It's comfortable but it won't slide right around the wrist & probably travels up & down no more than 1.5".
    Oh yes same, the guys in my example as with the OP were wearing the watch more dangled over the hand than slightly loose on the wrist. Less wristwatch, more handwatch. Each to their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Oh yes same, the guys in my example as with the OP were wearing the watch more dangled over the hand than slightly loose on the wrist. Less wristwatch, more handwatch. Each to their own I guess.
    If it gets cold and his wrist shrinks it might fall off!

Maybe he liked to put it on and off without touching the clasp. I have a pair of jeans like that ha

Stolen off a fat dead man?

That antiques squirmy presenter Paul Martin used to wear a Tag rattling around like a hoop on a skinny hooker until he got a Rolex. Presumably they wouldn't let him out of the place looking quite like the 5 star prat he went in as. Probably still in pink slacks tho😈

Wear it loose, wear it tight but don't let it spin.
    Gray

I can't help wondering where this image came from. Is it just an example taken from the internet? If this is the actual guy in your lift, how did you manage that?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This guy in the lift at work takes the biscuit...

Master

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I can't help wondering where this image came from. Is it just an example taken from the internet? If this is the actual guy in your lift, how did you manage that?
    Covert pic with the sound off.

Reminds me of the time I took a pic of one of my neighbours down the rd, sat in his lounge (when he was on the phone). He was an old boy and his house was like one of the places off a hoarder TV program!
    He was sat there with no shoes on when I went round and his toe nails were about 5cm long and curled over like claws! I couldn’t believe my eyes & knew it was chance for a stealthy picture to show the mrs at tea time...

I managed to have the flash go off and take a burst of pics and one of the pics was of him looking up in confusion towards the camera haha, not very stealthy.

Deleted due to paranoia thanks to Martyn!
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 8th June 2019 at 21:53.

Blog Entries
    It looks slovenly imo

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Super loose watch wearers - why?! [/IMG]
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Well said.
    I agree, each to their own and it imposing any rules but my god there's a limit

Unless i worked in fashion where all the weird things are done for a reason i could never do it

Journeyman
    Hell of a risk taking photos of a guys groin in secret at your work :D
    Enjoy your meeting with HR on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Bclark View Post
    Hell of a risk taking photos of a guys groin in secret at your work :D
    Enjoy your meeting with HR on Monday
    Same building not same employer

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Ha! I kept telling my wife that we should watch this together because the ending had made such an lasting impression on me as a young boy, but apparently I had forgotten, much to my wife's amusement, about the extended Britt Ekland nude scenes.

Ha! I kept telling my wife that we should watch this together because the ending had made such an lasting impression on me as a young boy, but apparently I had forgotten, much to my wife's amusement, about the extended Britt Ekland nude scenes.
    Best bit of the film.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I found two factors on the bangly wrist brigade.

1. Its usually fake and they cannot be bothered to adjust the bracelet themselves , lets face it they are not going to take it to a dealer or watchmaker knowing full well its hookey..

2. Its been borrowed from their Dad.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Extended cut, is even more extended!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OP, your colleague needs a slap!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    And even by today's standard's some of the leering villager's comments are pretty shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    And even by today's standard's some of the leering villager's comments are pretty shocking.
    We watched Sixteen Candles with our teens recently, and our kids were appalled, which gave me pause. Molly Ringwald wrote about this in the New Yorker within the last year or so. Very interesting.

Blog Entries
    This is the original I just cropped it for the thread. Phone on silent and quick a quick hand!

If that had been a female colleague taking a shot like that could get you arrested. Especially as you posted this on a public forum. Anyway ignore my comments - I just feel a bit uneasy - whatever gender your work colleague is - I don’t think they would be too happy being ridiculed.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th June 2019 at 21:31.

Braceleting. I'm sure it's illegal in some countries.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

If that had been a female colleague taking a shot like that could get you arrested. Especially as you posted this on a public forum. Anyway ignore my comments - I just feel a bit uneasy - whatever gender your work colleague is - I don’t think they would be too happy being ridiculed.
    You've got the paranoia started now. I've just deleted the original post now but your reply is perpetuating it!

Yes it’s called ‘downwristing’ and can get you locked up ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Yes it’s called ‘downwristing’ and can get you locked up ;)
    So is uptrousing I hear
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Good old Britt!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    This guy in the lift at work takes the biscuit.

What do we think - ordered online and never resized or prefers it that way?

Surely it must be super annoying day to day and get in the way.
    Just don’t get it, a great way to stretch a bracelet and clip the watch on everything.

Master
    Yeah - this never ceases to amaze me - I once worked with someone who wore a watch with a bracelet that you could have put 3-4 fingers under - I was amazed it never fell off. But having that move up and down your writs - and rotate all the time would have annoyed the hell out of me

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    .... But having that move up and down your writs - and rotate all the time would have annoyed the hell out of me
    The lads I mentioned kept shaking their wrists around every time they raised their arm to bring the watch back to the front. That would drive me mental. Maybe they see it like a fidget spinner replacement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I can't stand it - someone at work does the same thing with his Daytona and I just can't bear to see it sloshing around his wrist like some oversized man bracelet.
    I was on the tube last week and noticed bloke next to me had a white face Ceramic Daytona. I was impressed, until I realised that the time bore no relation to the actual time.

Master
    The majority of these ‘ultra loose’ watches are probably fakes anyway.

So on one hand() we've got outrage at someone taking a sly piccy of some faceless guys watch on the other it's 'Cor Britt Ekland in the nude fnar fanr' pervy stuff.
    Funny old world innit?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Not Britt, she demurred and a body double was used. Shame.

My brother wears all his watches around 8 links too loose, it does annoy me to the point that when he last came round I asked him if he wanted the bracelet resized but he said that’s how he preferred it!

Oh and this place is really slipping, no mention of what make/model the watch is, so ....