closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yet another 'what car ' thread.

Master

Yet another 'what car ' thread.

We are automotive bottom feeders* which is not to say I don't like a nice car that is interesting and handles well with a bit of performance. The current fleet is a Saab 9-5 estate and a Fiat Panda, both 2004 cars. We need to replace the Panda as we could do with something slightly bigger and it gives my wife back ache. I've been looking around and had settled on the Mazda 3 or the Focus or possibly a Fiat Bravo if I can find one for sale anywhere near us. However on looking at the specs the Mazda and Ford are more or less a metre longer than the Panda and I don't really want to go that big for our second car. There are times when a small car is a very useful thing and the Panda is a joy to hustle along country roads. I'd appreciate your suggestions for something bigger than the Panda but not quite up to the Focus's 4.4m. Criteria:

Probably somewhere between 04 and 12 but I don't mind older
    Up to £3k, I'd stretch another 500 for the perfect car.
    Petrol, Manual
    5 doors
    A reasonable sized boot that will take a pushchair
    Sub 11s 0-60
    Not an Audi
    I'm wary of French cars reliability but am open to persuasion.
    Ideally something interesting
    Ideally £235 or less tax a year though something a bit interesting could tempt me away from this.

Many thanks.

*I'm not willing to pay thousands a year depreciation, supermarket car parks, we live down a narrow country lane.

Ford Fiesta Mk6 are cracking little cars. Ecoboost versions are very cheap on tax, but cost more to buy as a result.

The stumbling block may be fitting the pushchair in the boot and the price, as they started around 2009 I think.
    Last edited by Maysie; 13th June 2019 at 08:50.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris would be my choice.

Master
    Off the wall suggestion- BMW E30 3-series? Decent boot, not big, bags of character, and you should find a nice coupe in your price range. More cc = more fun...

Insurance will be dirt cheap, too.

I m biased- I have one...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Ford Fiesta Mk6 are cracking little cars. Ecoboost versions are very cheap on tax, but cost more to buy as a result.

The stumbling block may be fitting the pushchair in the boot and the price, as they started around 2009 I think.
    Yes that ******* push chair, I hate the things and ours is a three big wheel off roader style. Very useful but I hate it. I do like the Fester and the ecoboost appeals but really a bit budget busting, could be tempted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris would be my choice.
    Mum has a Yaris and I'm not sure the boot is big enough. I'm afraid the Jazz was discounted from the start as in my head they are very much the end of a long line of 'old peoples cars' that includes the Allegro and the Peugot 306. However having looked at the boot on google images I should probably be considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Off the wall suggestion- BMW E30 3-series? Decent boot, not big, bags of character, and you should find a nice coupe in your price range. More cc = more fun...

Insurance will be dirt cheap, too.

I m biased- I have one...
    Funnily enough I had considered it briefly and you've encouraged me to have another look. Old cars hold no fear, we used to run Alfa 33s (and I may yet go and look at one currently for sale) and Saab 900s.

Thanks folks, keep 'em coming.

I’m going to suggest something a little bit different. How about a Skoda Roomster?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...ster-2006-2015

I think the Mazda 3 is a very good shout. But possibly too a Toyota Auris, Honda Civic, Mk5 Golf.

Have you looked at https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

This has reviews for pretty much every model of Used car made and shows the good and bad points for each as well as alternative models worthy of consideration. It's a great resource and my 'go to' place for research.

good luck

Blog Entries
    We have a 2001 1.3 Yaris 5 dr, which has been with us since 2004 - without doubt the most reliable car we have ever had. Only ever required consumables in its whole 15 year life with us! (Now I've said that, it will probably die). The boot is a bit on the small side, though the rear seats slide to increase/decrease space.

If I was replacing it I would probably go with a newer mk2/3 Yaris or a mk2 Jazz. Both have bigger boot space than what you currently have and are very reliable.

Slight left field choice would be a mk1 Yaris Verso - though I personally can't deal with the Pope-mobile/Postman Pat looks.

Stock answer: Subaru Legacy 3.0R spec B (estate)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Or MX5

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Or MX5
    Both would be lovely (we've had an MX-5, Foxy100 has it now) but don't meet the spec. The Legacy would be a great Saab replacement though. I even suggested a Capri, Sarah's dream car (clearly I'd find more money for something like that) but she is adamant (and right) until the kids can strap themselves in the back we need 5 door cars.

The Roomster is a very intelligent choice however most are oil burners and I really couldn't open my curtains to be greeted by that every morning, it's not even fun ugly like the Qubo. Golf a bit too big really, Mazda 3 is an option, Auris too if a bit dull. I'm going to look at a Civic tomorrow. (And yes I know Auris dull but not Civic is probably not very logical).

Mercedes A170, petrol, manual, suits on VED, length, boot size etc. & also just makes your 11 seconds 0-60 criterion.

AN EXAMPLE IN SOUTHAMPTON

No connection with seller etc..
    ______

​Jim.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Or for something different (but a bit slow) - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01906118903473

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Mercedes A170, petrol, manual, suits on VED, length, boot size etc. & also just makes your 11 seconds 0-60 criterion.

AN EXAMPLE IN SOUTHAMPTON
    I'd discounted those, don't they just fall over when you try to drive round a bend? I drive with brio and I'd be a bit wary.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Or for something different (but a bit slow) - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01906118903473
    Yes I quite like the Cube (I could assimilate my son from school) but a hard sell to Sarah I think. Good size-wise though.

Master
    The best mk8 civic you can find.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...-categories=on

Or this random selection might help.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-sea...-categories=on

Whatever you choose don’t forget to look at the mot history.
    https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk...275.1502452986

Skoda Fabia or Seat Ibiza? Both available in different flavours, i.e. from bland to a bit spicy.

I second the Honda Civic shout
    They seem to be amazing value
    Still look good too

The alternative to me would be an A3 or even A4
    Plentiful and if belts and water pump have been done can be a back street garage repair cheap if needs anything

Craftsman
    The wifey got a Hyundai i10 it has surprised me ,very capable quite smart and comfy,gets good reviews

Master
    If a Golf is too big, have you had a look at a VW Polo?

wouldn't an older SUV fit you requirements?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    wouldn't an older SUV fit you requirements?
    Too big and expensive to run.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mazda 5, Kia Rio, Hyundai i20 or if you fancy something more upmarket but older how about a c class coupe or Bmw 3 series compact as both are hatchbacks.