closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hajime Asaoka but more accessible

Hajime Asaoka but more accessible

Caught up for a few drams with Gusmac last night, and in our horological meanderings we started talking about Hajime Asaoka, a grail of mine should I ever be so fortunate to be in a postion to purchase one (and you thought Rolex lists were bad lol)

As the conversation progressed I thought he was about to say "Boom, Check out my Tsunami!!" :P however what he did show me was a watch designed by Hajime Asaoka with all his hallmarks and style, but at a far more accesible price.

Thought this might be interesting to some people.
    Granted its not a handmade, handfinished tourbillon but rather a Miyota 90S5 that powers the watch, but for a fraction of the price, all the style and without the wait, I think its a rather tempting piece, and part of the proceeds will go to charity which is nice :)

kuronotokyo.com

Last edited by endo; 7th June 2019 at 11:01.

Thanks for that - I'll have a look. The big 'issue' with Hajime is the interaction with him, it can be a bit chaotic and the dialogue with an independent is a huge part of the package. This is a good article on the buying process and the author is admirable in keeping it positive in my book!

https://quillandpad.com/2018/09/29/w...saoka-tsunami/

Thanks for the Kurono link - very well conceived watches with good movement selection etc. Maybe a bit pricey for me now, but I'm going to waste some time on the site!

Master
    Thanks for sharing that, an interesting read. I have to say, getting to the end of the article before the price was revealed, I was expecting it to be more costly than it was.

It's nice to see that someone else knows of Hajime Asaoka. I stumbled across his watches on instagram and was instantly drawn to the aesthetic. Would love to own one at some point. He seems to have slowed down on IG, so maybe that means he is now actually making watches :)
    Will look a the Kurono watches - they look pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Thanks for that - I'll have a look. The big 'issue' with Hajime is the interaction with him, it can be a bit chaotic and the dialogue with an independent is a huge part of the package.
    To be honest, I have to agree with the last part of that.
    It's probably why I'm so entrenched in the Moser camp, From the start I was easily able to engage with the guys at Moser, ask inane questions about the watches/durability/servicing (as well as general watch chat)

Now I have half of Moser's staff on your Wassap speed dial willing to deal with my stupidity, need for more straps and the occasional bit of sick humour (like my recent fun exchange recently about the fumé dial day-date).
    It really does make the experience of owning an independent special vs a mainstream brand, where there is zero contact between watchmaker and end user.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    To be honest, I have to agree with the last part of that.
    It's probably why I'm so entrenched in the Moser camp, From the start I was easily able to engage with the guys at Moser, ask inane questions about the watches/durability/servicing (as well as general watch chat)

Now I have half of Moser's staff on your Wassap speed dial willing to deal with my stupidity, need for more straps and the occasional bit of sick humour (like my recent fun exchange recently about the fumé dial day-date).
    It really does make the experience of owning an independent special vs a mainstream brand, where there is zero contact between watchmaker and end user.
    Agree with everything you say - once you start getting the experience of independent watchmaking you very much question buying mainstream. I dare not ask about 'fume' humour

Oh I also noticed that the prices were in Singaporian Dollar - the USD prices are much more reasonable. Hmm, almost worth a punt...

The eggshell white dial is the real winner there but appears to me already sold out. Very nice design.

Thanks for heads up. I follow Asaoka on FB, but never saw him to mention new watch brand. If I hadn't spent my 3 year watch budget just weeks ago, I'd be seriously tempted to order one. I really like his style, very unique and recognisable.

Very nice pieces. I follow him on IG but haven't seen anything from him related to this.

Craftsman
    I really like the aestethics of the watch and I love what Hajime does, the tourbillion watch with micro ball bearings is genius. But the movement would put me off this watch, the accuracy specs are terrible.

Really interesting, thank you. I like the look of them, funny it says that they use the same case and dial makers as supply to Grand Seiko; I thought GS was vertically integrated?

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Really interesting, thank you. I like the look of them, funny it says that they use the same case and dial makers as supply to Grand Seiko; I thought GS was vertically integrated?
    That is an interesting observation well picked up. I assume whoever does GS cases are owned by Seiko Corp and they also render their services to outside customers.

That is an interesting observation well picked up. I assume whoever does GS cases are owned by Seiko Corp and they also render their services to outside customers.
    That was my guess too, but it's equally surprising!

Unfortunately only closer inspection, looks like it will cost about £1400 plus vat, which is less attractive price wise, but otherwise I really like the dial and case design.

Master
    GS workshop also makes cases for high end Casio's. Oceanus and MRG.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=endo;5118107]Caught up for a few drams with Gusmac last night, and in our horological meanderings we started talking about Hajime Asaoka, a grail of mine should I ever be so fortunate to be in a postion to purchase one (and you thought Rolex lists were bad lol)

As the conversation progressed I thought he was about to say "Boom, Check out my Tsunami!!" :P however what he did show me was a watch designed by Hajime Asaoka with all his hallmarks and style, but at a far more accesible price.

Granted its not a handmade, handfinished tourbillon but rather a Miyota 90S5 that powers the watch, but for a fraction of the price, all the style and without the wait, I think its a rather tempting piece, and part of the proceeds will go to charity which is nice :)

kuronotokyo.com

]
    Was great as always to catch up Mike. Really enjoyed our evening! As you say, much as I’d have loved to have uttered the memorable ‘boom’ line, the wait for a Hajime piece is just absurd. Living as I do now in Asia, I see and hear a lot of talk of his watches and stories about the challenges of communication and securing a slot on his list.

The first pic you’ve shown is my favourite. Sadly, not seen in person and suspect I’m unlikely to but nonetheless very drool-worthy!

One of the groups I’m involved in on WhatsApp is a very serious (and frequently very not-so-serious!) group of mainly Singapore and HK collectors. One of our number worked with Sincere to organise the eggshell variant. Only 50 pieces available and now I think all gone (our group accounted for nearly 40 of them).

It should be arriving in July or August so will try to remember to post some pictures then when it arrives. Oh, and I’ll be sure to bring it for our next SMWS meet up!

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=endo;5118107]Caught up for a few drams with Gusmac last night, and in our horological meanderings we started talking about Hajime Asaoka, a grail of mine should I ever be so fortunate to be in a postion to purchase one (and you thought Rolex lists were bad lol)

kuronotokyo.com

]
    Was great as always to catch up Mike. Really enjoyed our evening! As you say, much as I’d have loved to have uttered the memorable ‘boom’ line, the wait for a Hajime piece is just absurd. Living as I do now in Asia, I see and hear a lot of talk of his watches and stories about the challenges of communication and securing a slot on his list.

The first pic you’ve shown is my favourite. Sadly, not seen in person and suspect I’m unlikely to but nonetheless very drool-worthy!

One of the groups I’m involved in on WhatsApp is a very serious (and frequently very not-so-serious!) group of mainly Singapore and HK collectors. One of our number worked with Sincere to organise the eggshell variant. Only 50 pieces available and now I think all gone (our group accounted for nearly 40 of them).

It should be arriving in July or August so will try to remember to post some pictures then when it arrives. Oh, and I’ll be sure to bring it for our next SMWS meet up!

Great.
    Just as I was convinced that I’m done with this madness of a hobby, you go and dangle THAT in front of my nose....
    How much are they? (Probably immaterial due to supply anyway..)

I always found this interesting, here he assembles and prints a dial. I wish I could read the subtitles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    The eggshell white dial is the real winner there but appears to me already sold out. Very nice design.
    Agreed

Not that I could afford it currently!

Seriously beautiful watch for the money…. Endo - thanks for posting!

@gusmac - I’d you don’t bond with the white - look me up!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    As you say, much as I’d have loved to have uttered the memorable ‘boom’ line, the wait for a Hajime piece is just absurd.
    Ha ha, well... knowing you, it wouldn't suprise me ;)
    ....Or the more likely, the day I manage to obtain one, you'll send me a pic of yours in a far more exotic locale :D

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post

Definately would be nice to see pics of it,the eggshell white works perfectly with the Art Deco styling of the dial.
    I'm tempted by the blue one myself. (so.. i'm a hypocrite considering what I said on Thursday, i do like blue dials, I think it's just me being petty over the lack of luck hunting a new CB)

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Ha ha, well... knowing you, it wouldn't suprise me ;)
    ....Or the more likely, the day I manage to obtain one, you'll send me a pic of yours in a far more exotic locale :D

Definately would be nice to see pics of it,the eggshell white works perfectly with the Art Deco styling of the dial.
    I'm tempted by the blue one myself. (so.. i'm a hypocrite considering what I said on Thursday, i do like blue dials, I think it's just me being petty over the lack of luck hunting a new CB)
    The cravings of this has been tempered by my Ming watches. I've been pondering if to think about buying of these Hajime but the space is very much filled by the Ming 17.01 blue dial - and after the Art Deco, the blue is the nicest variant and that slot is very filled.

The CB is very much a fantasy piece with everyone looking for watches that are the 'next' Nautilus. I remember thinking of buying one some years ago - under 20k as well and readily available....

The cravings of this has been tempered by my Ming watches. I've been pondering if to think about buying of these Hajime but the space is very much filled by the Ming 17.01 blue dial - and after the Art Deco, the blue is the nicest variant and that slot is very filled.

The CB is very much a fantasy piece with everyone looking for watches that are the 'next' Nautilus. I remember thinking of buying one some years ago - under 20k as well and readily available....
    There is a similaruty style between the 17.01 and the blue, so I get where you're coming from,

Ha ha, i had a FPJ rant typed out (first world problems) :P
    Summed up, It's a 4-5 year old pipe dream to get a new one for a "significant-ish birthday", only a few months left so there'll be no grain d'orge this year for me.

Wondering if anyone got a Kurono? I see they're all sold out now but the blue dial one still looks really appealing!

Not impressed by the Kurono at all. The Tsunami #1 design though, that I like. Not that expensive either, given the exclusivity and workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Not impressed by the Kurono at all. The Tsunami #1 design though, that I like. Not that expensive either, given the exclusivity and workmanship.
    It does look incredible but I don't have that kind of cash to spend on a watch!

Seems there all sold out on pre order now, so someone bought them.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    Seems there all sold out on pre order now, so someone bought them.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    The idea of an HA entry level watch will carry quite a bit of appeal. I do agree though the watch seems to lack something.

The Tsunami is another story entirely. Looks incredible. I've highlighted a good article to it above.

I love the large size of the balance in the Tsunami.

Master
    I follow Hajime Asaoka's Kurono page on FB and was interested to see he'd posted this. Not sure there's too much he can do about it mind..