closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Rolex watch - Want to do it the ‘correct’ way

Craftsman

First Rolex watch - Want to do it the ‘correct’ way

First post on the forums but have been reading quite a bit. I’m planning on buying myself my first Rolex (Black Sub most likely, unless I can get a Green one) via the AD route.

Went down to my local AD (Goldsmiths Reading) and chatted to a couple of guys, explaining how it’s been an eventful year for me (bought first property, got my promotion..) and that I would like to buy a Rolex for myself.

Guy took my phone number (not via a waiting list card) and said it should be about 3 months. I’ve waited since then (it’s been nearly 5 months now) and have visited frequently to check if there’s anything interesting in the window (saw some TT Subs, Milgauss and Air Kings etc.).

Haven’t heard anything since then and am starting to think if I’m really ‘on a list’. Would rather they tell me if they can’t put me on as opposed to making me wait. Did not go to other ADs to do the same (since I wanted to build up a relationship with my local AD) but maybe I should? I’m also tempted to just go grey and be done with it but have read many ‘success stories’ on how genuine watch buyers are able to get their wanted watch without previous purchase history etc.

Thoughts?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    First post on the forums but have been reading quite a bit. I’m planning on buying myself my first Rolex (Black Sub most likely, unless I can get a Green one) via the AD route.

Went down to my local AD (Goldsmiths Reading) and chatted to a couple of guys, explaining how it’s been an eventful year for me (bought first property, got my promotion..) and that I would like to buy a Rolex for myself.

Guy took my phone number (not via a waiting list card) and said it should be about 3 months. I’ve waited since then (it’s been nearly 5 months now) and have visited frequently to check if there’s anything interesting in the window (saw some TT Subs, Milgauss and Air Kings etc.).

Haven’t heard anything since then and am starting to think if I’m really ‘on a list’. Would rather they tell me if they can’t put me on as opposed to making me wait. Did not go to other ADs to do the same (since I wanted to build up a relationship with my local AD) but maybe I should? I’m also tempted to just go grey and be done with it but have read many ‘success stories’ on how genuine watch buyers are able to get their wanted watch without previous purchase history etc.

Thoughts?
    Have you been in to see the guy? Had a chat since your initial Enquiry? (Your post says you’ve been and looked in the window)

Guy might not even work there anymore, maybe moved off watches onto something else? Maybe just forgot about you? Mislaid your number?

Master
    The branch in Reading have a proper card you complete, so assuming it’s a corporate thing. I completed one recently for my wife’s birthday, although no idea how long this has been in place.

They did enquire what I’d purchased from them previously, which was a couple of omegas, a sub and a couple of Tudors & that I still owned them all. No idea if it really makes a difference.

Afraid they may have just forgotten you or misplaced the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Have you been in to see the guy? Had a chat since your initial Enquiry? (Your post says you’ve been and looked in the window)

Guy might not even work there anymore, maybe moved off watches onto something else? Maybe just forgot about you? Mislaid your number?
    Yes I’ve been back since my initial enquiry. Twice, if I remember correctly. The guy still works there, tells me it’s been ‘slow’ but no further mention of expected timeframes. I didn’t want to press on it too much as long as he knows I’m still interested.

Master
    I might of just been just unlucky, inquired in Reading about a couple of Non-Rolex bits and they didn't bother emailing any info as promised( two occasions) You may want to try Prestons in Guildford, Chris there has always been very helpful and efficient.

Personally I'd try as many AD as you can, you may get lucky with a cancelled order etc....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    The branch in Reading have a proper card you complete, so assuming it’s a corporate thing. I completed one recently for my wife’s birthday, although no idea how long this has been in place.

They did enquire what I’d purchased from them previously, which was a couple of omegas, a sub and a couple of Tudors & that I still owned them all. No idea if it really makes a difference.

Afraid they may have just forgotten you or misplaced the card.

Yes I’ve seen those cards. Might be worth asking to fill in one but without a purchase history I’m not feeling too hopeful. Did you manage to buy your sub only after the omegas/Tudors?

Hope that they will consider the longer term potential (Bought a property in Reading, not going anywhere) and that I’ll get lucky.

Master
    Yes I’ve seen those cards. Might be worth asking to fill in one but without a purchase history I’m not feeling too hopeful. Did you manage to buy your sub only after the omegas/Tudors?

Hope that they will consider the longer term potential (Bought a property in Reading, not going anywhere) and that I’ll get lucky.
    I was lucky, my sub was my first purchase with them, but from a by gone age, when I sat there & tried on my 14060M, a ceramic sub, a hulk, a GMT, both colours of Explorer 2 and the Explorer.

It seems madness how different things are these days with regards to availability.

I’d just ask to complete a card, it never used to be a difficult watch to get hold of, and everyone has to start somewhere.

Regarding purchase history, they only asked, didn’t check or anything. Staff are all different since my first purchase.

That said, I’ve not yet got my watch for my wife yet, so perhaps the card does nothing lol. They do have a comment section and a date for eg a significant birthday, which might help your purpose.

Good luck!

Master
    There are no genuine ‘waiting lists’....they sell to whoever they fancy. Often people they know. You might get lucky, but do you really want to get into this nonsense?
    In your position, I’d grab a Milgauss , more interesting watch and with a fair chance of being sought-after in the coming years. Avoid the ‘obvious’ stuff.

Master
    From my experience with GS, Reading your name never went on the list. I asked twice to be put on the list for a Rolex and both times after I followed up they said they had no record of me being on any list. Even though supposedly they put me on the system as I stood there with the guy one of the times.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I was lucky, my sub was my first purchase with them, but from a by gone age, when I sat there & tried on my 14060M, a ceramic sub, a hulk, a GMT, both colours of Explorer 2 and the Explorer.

It seems madness how different things are these days with regards to availability.

I’d just ask to complete a card, it never used to be a difficult watch to get hold of, and everyone has to start somewhere.

Regarding purchase history, they only asked, didn’t check or anything. Staff are all different since my first purchase.

That said, I’ve not yet got my watch for my wife yet, so perhaps the card does nothing lol. They do have a comment section and a date for eg a significant birthday, which might help your purpose.

Good luck!

Yes it does seem crazy how you could’ve tried so many on at the same time. Yeah will ask to complete a card and keep my fingers crossed. Do let me know if you’ve got your wife’s watch (but don’t think it will be a good proxy to mine).

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There are no genuine ‘waiting lists’....they sell to whoever they fancy. Often people they know. You might get lucky, but do you really want to get into this nonsense?
    In your position, I’d grab a Milgauss , more interesting watch and with a fair chance of being sought-after in the coming years. Avoid the ‘obvious’ stuff.
    Yes I’m aware. By getting into this nonsense do you mean purchase other watches in hopes of getting a watch I want? If that case, then no. I’m happy to build up a purchase history only based on purchases that I genuinely want.

I’m yet to try on the Milgauss - will do so when I see it again (the one I saw is now gone).

Goldsmiths they don't have lists no more the card you filled out was "express and interest in a watch"
    I did it not long back in Leeds no buying experience with them as was baffled as was on the list for 2 years for a sky dweller!!

In the end filled the card out drop a Omega in for full service and a month later they called me with a sea dweller.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    From my experience with GS, Reading your name never went on the list. I asked twice to be put on the list for a Rolex and both times after I followed up they said they had no record of me being on any list. Even though supposedly they put me on the system as I stood there with the guy one of the times.
    Will not be surprised if that’s the case. As I’ve read in this forum it doesn’t take that long if they really wanted to sell me a Sub. I’m now considering approaching another AD nearby and trying out my luck.

Did you manage to get your watch in the end? If you did, how?

Will not be surprised if that’s the case. As I’ve read in this forum it doesn’t take that long if they really wanted to sell me a Sub. I’m now considering approaching another AD nearby and trying out my luck.

If i was youI would have a look at some of the pre-owned dealers. You can pick-up the current model for between 7.5-8.5K. If you do happen to receive "the call" from your local AD then you could always sell the pre-owned example without being too much out of pocket (assuming the current market conditions continue). You might also want to have a look at the previous version of the Submariner (Ref: 16610). Lots of these around and a great watch to start your collection. Good luck.

Yes I’m aware. By getting into this nonsense do you mean purchase other watches in hopes of getting a watch I want? If that case, then no. I’m happy to build up a purchase history only based on purchases that I genuinely want.
    Get an Omega, you don't have to suck AD's off for those.

Failing that, offer to pay a deposit. You'll definitely get a watch quicker when they've taken your money.

Or you could wait until the rumoured s/s sports Rolex floodgates open in the near future, when every man, woman and child will freely be able to purchase Rolex watches at RRP, whenever and at whatever AD they fancy.

(Disclaimer: This scenario may not happen … ever)

Journeyman
    Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Most places i have contacted won't even take your details now and those that do say it's a 'wishlist', not a 'waiting list'. Cannot say you'll get the watch even in a couple of years unless you're spending a lot with them and regularly. Many say theyll only get a handful in a year but why are they so many being resold.

Seems quicker and cheaper to go grey.

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I second this, many nice watches available from other brands.

. E.g. I think ceramic speedmasters are a lot nicer than a daytona

That being said, the batman itch needs to be scratched!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Get an Omega, you don't have to suck AD's off for those.

Failing that, offer to pay a deposit. You'll definitely get a watch quicker when they've taken your money.

Journeyman
    I think the only way to do this really is to built a rapport. I know it sucks but “it is what it is”

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibo View Post
    I second this, many nice watches available from other brands.

. E.g. I think ceramic speedmasters are a lot nicer than a daytona

That being said, the batman itch needs to be scratched!!

Hmmm true, perhaps best for me to start reading on a couple of other brands. A friend recommended the Zenith El Primero, might check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toast3d View Post
    I think the only way to do this really is to built a rapport. I know it sucks but “it is what it is”
    Ok to build a rapport if that doesn’t mean buying watches I don’t need just to build up a purchase history...

Ok to build a rapport if that doesn’t mean buying watches I don’t need just to build up a purchase history...[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that's kinda the watch to go if you want Rolex sports steel.

They rather sell to existing clients hence the express an interest list

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toast3d View Post
    This will go some way to getting yourself viewed positively and not as someone who will sell it on at a profit the same day. With GS it best to be mindful as an earlier post about staff turnover. If there is opportunity to purchase other watches/jewellery it can’t hurt. Don’t get sidetracked into buying watches you don’t like (unless the watch is a gift for someone else) Keep persevering- Ive been seeking my first Rolex since February and I am patient and realistic of my chances
    Last edited by Mysqueek; 6th June 2019 at 20:25. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries
    Just buy an Explorer 2, get it on your wrist pronto and no '80s style 'padded shoulders'.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    This will go some way to getting yourself viewed positively and not as someone who will sell it on at a profit the same day. With GS it best to be mindful as an earlier post about staff turnover. If there is opportunity to purchase other watches/jewellery it can’t hurt. Don’t get sidetracked into buying watches you don’t like (unless the watch is a gift for someone else) Keep persevering- Ive been seeking my first Rolex since February and I am patient and realistic of my chances
    If we accept there’s actually no list and ADs just sell to people that they like then that’s a piece of information you can manipulate to your advantage.

Master

No I didn't bother in the end. It's just a watch so I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Craftsman
    Quite honestly put out a WTB on this forum for what you want and I am certain you will find what you want at the right price and with a decent providence. I have bought a 1978 Exp II, Red Sub and a Double Red Sea Dweller on this forum as well as numerous other watches and have always be really happy with the sellers and more importantly their knowledge.
    Good luck UOTE=cheesycake7;5117267]First post on the forums but have been reading quite a bit. I’m planning on buying myself my first Rolex (Black Sub most likely, unless I can get a Green one) via the AD route.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Journeyman
    I am the same OP, on a 'list' at Watches of Switzerland... the worst thing is they can't even tell you how long the wait is! It if was going to be 5 years then at least I could know then budget, but if it could be anytime then you're screwed if you get the call then haven't got the money available because you've bought another watch in the meantime...

Master
    Every AD is different, best is to go there and gage for yourself if these people seriously want to do business with you, if you feel they are not straight up then go grey with a clear conscience. Even in the old days when greys gave good discounts I would always give my AD a chance first to match or get close to the grey offer, and if they couldn't then I'd go grey, same idea now but with trust and service quality.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Every AD is different, best is to go there and gage for yourself if these people seriously want to do business with you, if you feel they are not straight up then go grey with a clear conscience. Even in the old days when greys gave good discounts I would always give my AD a chance first to match or get close to the grey offer, and if they couldn't then I'd go grey, same idea now but with trust and service quality.
    Nothing in principle against going grey market or private... It’s a lot more expensive though at the monent!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    Nothing in principle against going grey market or private... It’s a lot more expensive though at the monent!
    Sure, but as I get older I find time is money, as is good service. Last night I went to Core, the new 2 Michelin star restaurant in town, and the service was impeccable and worth every penny of the extra I paid over my last dinner at a nice hotel but where I had to ask for the bill twice.

There is no longer a 'correct way' if indeed there ever was.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

First Rolex, it's like first wo/man, you have to do it the right way
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Been on HL Browns supposed list for a Hulk since 2017, I give them a call every four months & get the same bull time & time again.
    I purchased a Sub ND end of 2016 so the relationship was already in place.
    Personally I think they have their preferred customers & I am not one of them.
    They did send me a few nice Rolex magazines.....
    Got told they only had one Hulk in 18 months which to be fair I do not believe.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    There is no longer a 'correct way' if indeed there ever was.
    Very true. Whichever way you can afford and you want to do it is the correct way. A watch bought by paying a premium is not necessarily a wrong way. Depends on cash at your disposal and how badly you want it. If not working out, buy something else. Rolex is not the only game in the town. I wouldn’t base my decision on someone else’s experience as these don’t seem to be uniform nor would I base it on wild guesses about increased supply/production based on ‘chat with my AD’ or information from trusted inside sources as historically these haven’t been accurate and people often hear what they want to hear.

Craftsman
    I’ve read all your comments and agree with them. I’ll see if the Rolex in the Window thread brings me any luck, or will consider other watches e.g. Tudor, Omega, etc. Will also try my luck around a few ADs to see if there’s one who will be genuinely interested to help.

Apprentice
    My friend got told it may take up to four years for a Deep Sea from the Preston's in Leeds, he went back a few weeks later and asked for a Sub date and told them he wanted it in time for his wedding - 3 weeks later he got one.

Craftsman
    So I have finally decided to go grey as to be honest, I probably won’t be buying watches on a frequent enough basis to ‘build up a relationship’ with an AD.

I’ve been reading the few other threads on the 116610LV’s pricing and have found a seller selling a 2015 one for £9.5k which I believe is quite fair.

I’m doing my due diligence on the seller/the watch and will ask him about proof of purchase/if it was recently serviced/if we can meet at an AD (or any other qualified shop) that can certify it/exchange in a safe location.

As it’s my first purchase and I want to be really careful, any other tips that any of you have?

Don't carry cash, but pay by bank transfer - its safer for the seller too as no risk for them of getting forged bank notes and bank transfers absolutely cannot be reversed. If possible, you could ask him to dig out his credit card statement showing his purchase of the watch (might be a long shot, and he might not have paid by card).
    The serial number should match between warranty card, white tag (if present), watch rehaut (obviously), and the original AD sales receipt (at least every Rolex I've bought has had such). Maybe weight? Take kitchen scales - my sub weighs 147g but number of links will of course influence such.
    Goo luck and you'll be enjoying the watch long after you've forgotten its cost!

Blog Entries
    Rolex movements have a certain 'bell' ring to them - difficult to describe - but in a quiet room you can hear that the movement has a characteristic sound. Agree about Bank Transfer mentioned above.

By 'grey' do you mean a private seller via escrow? If you mean a grey dealer - do post the name up and perhaps others can comment on their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Rolex movements have a certain 'bell' ring to them - difficult to describe - but in a quiet room you can hear that the movement has a characteristic sound. Agree about Bank Transfer mentioned above.

By 'grey' do you mean a private seller via escrow? If you mean a grey dealer - do post the name up and perhaps others can comment on their experiences.
    I would describe it as more of a pinging sound.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

It’s not a grey dealer. Just someone based in UK selling their watch (cause it fetches good value/he doesn’t like as much) so doubt anyone will have experiences.

I’ve inquired for proof of purchase (hopefully he bought it from his Local AD) and if I can perhaps meet him at the store that would be perfect.

As to the bell ‘ring’ that a few of you described, assume it’s the same across all Rolexes? I’ve got friends who owns Rolexes so can try training my ears...

I wouldn’t expect any Rolex dealer to offer any facility to purchase a watch from a 3rd party, or give an appraisal to its authenticity, during a transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I wouldn’t expect any Rolex dealer to offer any facility to purchase a watch from a 3rd party, or give an appraisal to its authenticity, during a transaction.
    That is my impression as well but I recollect reading on TRF that they offer an appraisal for insurance purposes for a fee of $150 or such. Am not sure how reliable that information is, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That is my impression as well but I recollect reading on TRF that they offer an appraisal for insurance purposes for a fee of $150 or such. Am not sure how reliable that information is, though.
    Yes - Many jewellers will do that, but I would expect a Rolex dealer would require several days and require the back off - necessitating a pressure test etc?

Seams nothing but liability for the dealer.

Blog Entries
    I have seen a new car that I quite fancy, I must nip to the dealership sometime, prostrate myself on their grubby carpet and beg to be allowed to fill in a ‘expression of interest’ card and maybe one day I might be considered suitable to be given the opportunity to hand over a great deal of money to them for a full price purchase! Not holding my breath though as I have no history of buying new cars from this particular dealership and I know how inconvenienced they can be by irritating cash customers.

Mmmm, now where have I heard of this scenario before?
    Last edited by KavKav; 25th June 2019 at 06:39.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I have seen a new car that I quite fancy, I must nip to the dealership sometime, prostrate myself on their grubby carpet and beg to be allowed to fill in a ‘expression of interest’ card and maybe one day I might be considered suitable to be given the opportunity to hand over a great deal of money to them for a full price purchase! Not holding my breath though as I have no history of buying new cars from this particular dealership and I know how inconvenienced they can be by irritating cash customers.

Mmmm, now where have I heard of this scenario before?
    .....that sounds like you are buying a Ferrari

Master
    I bought a Milgauss GV in 2014 from Goldsmiths in Reading, the sales manager was called Dale. Think he still there and was very helpful, was it him you dealt with?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibo View Post
    Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Most places i have contacted won't even take your details now and those that do say it's a 'wishlist', not a 'waiting list'. Cannot say you'll get the watch even in a couple of years unless you're spending a lot with them and regularly. Many say theyll only get a handful in a year but why are they so many being resold.

Seems quicker and cheaper to go grey.
    This. If you're in a position to go grey market why would you want to get involved in all this cr@p? It'll just frustrate the hell out of you and in the end tarnish the experience of buying your first milestone watch

Your situation is that you're waiting on a call that may never come because you may or may not be on a list that might or might not even exist

Personally I'd rather spend more and go grey market than spend money on watches I don't want to build a reputation with an AD

Oops just saw your post that you decided to go grey market...good call :D
    Last edited by Bclark; 25th June 2019 at 12:28. Reason: updated

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I bought a Milgauss GV in 2014 from Goldsmiths in Reading, the sales manager was called Dale. Think he still there and was very helpful, was it him you dealt with?
    No it wasn’t. Are you still in contact with him/still frequent the Goldsmiths Reading branch? Wonder if you can make an introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bclark View Post
    This. If you're in a position to go grey market why would you want to get involved in all this cr@p? It'll just frustrate the hell out of you and in the end tarnish the experience of buying your first milestone watch

Your situation is that you're waiting on a call that may never come because you may or may not be on a list that might or might not even exist

Personally I'd rather spend more and go grey market than spend money on watches I don't want to build a reputation with an AD

Oops just saw your post that you decided to go grey market...good call :D
    Yes, unfortunately after doing due diligence I think the purchase is too risky - ‘Story’ doesn’t sound convincing (he’s a bodyguard and his boss sold the watch to him, originally bought in Turkey) and also quite evasive when I asked to meet at an AD to verify it (without even knowing if ADs can do so).

Want to try and go grey without a 3rd party further marking up the price but understand that if I want more assurance, might have to go with the more reputable resellers.

I do think if I can find a direct seller and do my proper due diligence, it can save me a good £2-3k depending on the model I’m buying...

Master
    I picked up a 4 yo unworn black sub for £6k recently, and the same independent offered a Hulk and a batman at 9... Sort of... There was a catch.... Had to but both, and a couple of other watches. Anyway, don't despair. Keep working the ad route but also investigate independents.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I picked up a 4 yo unworn black sub for £6k recently, and the same independent offered a Hulk and a batman at 9... Sort of... There was a catch.... Had to but both, and a couple of other watches. Anyway, don't despair. Keep working the ad route but also investigate independents.
    Thanks. Are you happy to pass on details of this independent to me?