closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Rolex watch - Want to do it the ‘correct’ way

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    No it wasn’t. Are you still in contact with him/still frequent the Goldsmiths Reading branch? Wonder if you can make an introduction.
    Sorry, I haven't stepped foot inside since but walk past the window regularly and he's still there, sporting a large beard.

Craftsman
    The seller I’ve been in communication with says he’s taken the watch to WoS to ask for a servicing quote (presuming this means it’s been sent to the RSC).

What’s the best way for me to validate this? I’ve asked him if he can show me the quote received (but I’m not sure if they receive it on paper/verbally?)

It will just mean WoS will have looked at the model and given a standard service cost.

A 'propper' Rolex quote takes at least a week or so, and you get a written estimate including advidesd parts on top of standard service.

I wouldn't use a WoS quote to validate anything.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If you study hard enough you can usually easily smell a rat.. best bet is to set the time...
    Talk for a few hours and see how much or how little it has gained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    If you study hard enough you can usually easily smell a rat.. best bet is to set the time...
    Talk for a few hours and see how much or how little it has gained

Lolz, so it's really that easy
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Almost...they rarely keep good time.. and the key works are usually awful

Craftsman
    The seller I’ve been in communication with says he’s taken the watch to WoS to ask for a servicing quote (presuming this means it’s been sent to the RSC).

What’s the best way for me to validate this? I’ve asked him if he can show me the quote received (but I’m not sure if they receive it on paper/verbally?)
    Please be careful, this all sounds horribly dodgy. If you are new to this then my advise is to buy from an established dealer, wait for a brand new watch and/or while you are waiting get something else - what about a Tudor BB58, these seem to be appearing in dealers a little more readily.

Cheers
    Rory

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Not wishing to be rude, but it sounds like your just wandering from world of trouble to world of trouble in haste.
    I could walk in to WOS tomorrow with a superfake and ask for a service quote and bet a tenner that staff would take one look and trot out the standard servicing price for a 3 handed sports model.

Either wait it out until you have enough posts to access SC/WTB, suck it up and buy from grey, or go via chrono24 which at least offers some element of protection with a 14 day return system which gives you breathing space to get the watch properly checked out by someone who knows what they're doing.

Craftsman
    Agreed with the below, £9k isn’t a bargain if you end up with a £1k super fake. I would personally hold out for Haywood has one or blowers or if you are lucky on SC but they tend you go within an hour. You will see another thread about a former member selling what appears to be super fakes online, read the thread and then decide your risk tolerance!

Craftsman

These should help you.. in the sunshine the hulk is easy to spot.. look at the sunburst effect also the date and the case... both of these are fake!!! Thats how difficult it is to spot them or how easy depending on your familiarity with the watch.

Craftsman
    Highly recommend you contact Pragnells of Stratford Upon Avon, Ruddells in Wolverhampton & Fraser Hart in Solihull and give them 3 months. Between them they should be able to deliver a watch in that time frame
    Last edited by EmilA; 28th June 2019 at 19:28.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Highly recommend you contact Pragnells of Stratford Upon Avon, Ruddells in Wolverhampton & Fraser Hart in Solihull and give them 3 months. Between them they should be able to deliver a watch in that time frame
    Thanks for letting me know, I’ll try that. Do you think I’m able to try any other watch that is in higher demand than the 116610LN? Say the 116610LV.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm told the scarcest new sub is currently the 114060 no date, but that's most likely due to lower production volumes.

My advice is to choose one model per AD and say you only want that and explain why.

If you go in saying you want either a sub, seadweller, GMT, yacht or Daytona they will see you as a profiteer.

Craftsman
    Thanks for letting me know, I’ll try that. Do you think I’m able to try any other watch that is in higher demand than the 116610LN? Say the 116610LV.
    An LV, sadly quite a slim chance of getting one of them without buying history. You certainly should try and focus on one watch.
    From recent conversations I’ve had with AD’s they are quite selective with new buyers and want buying history.

Craftsman

Non-Rolex ending!

Today (well actually yesterday) marks a very special day to me. I've been actively reading threads in the forums the last few months and have been looking at some of the sought after Tudor models e.g. - GMT, BB58 etc. as as alternatives. A close friend of mine was in Harrods over the weekend. She knew I was also after the BB Harrods and tried inquiring. They initially mentioned the wait list and I have no idea how my friend worked her charm but she finally managed to get them to 'check again' and they came back saying there was one (or more I guess) in store.

She called me and I told her to buy it without seeing the watch in person (though I've seen some pictures online). I've just collected it from her today and I'm so happy with the purchase. Looks really good and this one is a keeper for sure.

What a 'journey' this has been, starting with wanting a sought after Rolex model and ending up with this beauty after a few months of searching. This has a connection to Rolex, more exclusive (and dare I say looks better) than the Hulk and also didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Decent demand and will hold it's value well, and best of all I didn't have to play the Rolex game!

https://ibb.co/1r1fKMc

https://ibb.co/t3Yf7Dp

https://ibb.co/WvcKp6n

https://ibb.co/0cGxSvT
    Last edited by cheesycake7; 11th August 2019 at 21:15.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Well done. Glad you got a watch you like. :-)

Craftsman
    Congrats
    So glad you secured a hard to get item from an AD
    I’ve got my sights set on the BB58 next month if my wish to get a ND Sub doesn't at least yield a timescale from my local AD by then.
    The Harrods BB is a fine purchase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    Congrats
    So glad you secured a hard to get item from an AD
    I’ve got my sights set on the BB58 next month if my wish to get a ND Sub doesn't at least yield a timescale from my local AD by then.
    The Harrods BB is a fine purchase
    Good luck with that. I have to say, being how fixated I was with the Rolex sub, I’ve never imagined liking another watch... This watch delivers so much happiness to me at a fraction of the sub price.

Would recommend trying out the BB58. I’ve seen one and it looks nice, just a bit too small for my wrist.

Sometimes I think we just want something hard to get, and the fact is some other brands also have hard to get models that doesn’t require the building relationship game.

Master
    I bought my first Rolex in 1986, a GMT Master which I still have. My basic method was to browse a number of authorised dealers in Newcastle City Centre - about 5 of them had the particular model I wanted, a 16750. I chose one, went in and tried it on then handed over the cash. £697 if I remember correctly.

Sounds like it's a lot more complicated these days. Almost like being interviewed for a job for the privilege of giving them your business. I don't think I'd have bothered even if I'd have been considered eligible!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I bought my first Rolex in 1986, a GMT Master which I still have. My basic method was to browse a number of authorised dealers in Newcastle City Centre - about 5 of them had the particular model I wanted, a 16750. I chose one, went in and tried it on then handed over the cash. £697 if I remember correctly.

Sounds like it's a lot more complicated these days. Almost like being interviewed for a job for the privilege of giving them your business. I don't think I'd have bothered even if I'd have been considered eligible!

I bought my first Rolex in Zermatt while on a skiing trip , had my choice of both subs or a SD , ended up buying a Nd sub , wangled a 7% discount ,as well as claiming the vat back on leaving.

Bought my son a SD from Newcastle 14 years ago , got 10% off back then.

How times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I have seen a new car that I quite fancy, I must nip to the dealership sometime, prostrate myself on their grubby carpet and beg to be allowed to fill in a ‘expression of interest’ card and maybe one day I might be considered suitable to be given the opportunity to hand over a great deal of money to them for a full price purchase! Not holding my breath though as I have no history of buying new cars from this particular dealership and I know how inconvenienced they can be by irritating cash customers.

Mmmm, now where have I heard of this scenario before?
    To be fair, that is actually how a lot of high-end car dealers work.

I went car shopping with my Uncle, who had a £150k budget for his dream car. The number of places that wouldn't even book an appointment to see us if we'd not used them before...

At one place, a friend of a friend got us in the door. He test drove a Ferrari 612, and then inquired about a 308 GTB they also had - at the time, he could have afforded to buy both on his budget. One modern GT for pan-European cruising, one retro classic to keep at the holiday home in the country. They literally wouldn't let him sit in the 308.

In the end he bought a brand new Maserati over the phone. Which I guess is pretty similar to how this Rolex adventure has turned out for the OP.
    Last edited by HenPecked; 12th August 2019 at 16:26.

Craftsman
    Good luck with that. I have to say, being how fixated I was with the Rolex sub, I’ve never imagined liking another watch... This watch delivers so much happiness to me at a fraction of the sub price.

Would recommend trying out the BB58. I’ve seen one and it looks nice, just a bit too small for my wrist.

Sometimes I think we just want something hard to get, and the fact is some other brands also have hard to get models that doesn’t require the building relationship game.
    I started earlier this year wanting an Omega Aqua Terra, then Rolex Explorer 214270. Once I tried on a Nd sub I knew I wanted it (AD said it was reserved) so been waiting since. I did buy Tudor Pelagos from the same AD to tide me over but it felt too large and it didn’t scratch the itch....

Journeyman
    Look at Haywood Miltons website. You cannot go wrong with them.

Journeyman
    First post on the forums but have been reading quite a bit. I’m planning on buying myself my first Rolex (Black Sub most likely, unless I can get a Green one) via the AD route.

Went down to my local AD (Goldsmiths Reading) and chatted to a couple of guys, explaining how it’s been an eventful year for me (bought first property, got my promotion..) and that I would like to buy a Rolex for myself.

Guy took my phone number (not via a waiting list card) and said it should be about 3 months. I’ve waited since then (it’s been nearly 5 months now) and have visited frequently to check if there’s anything interesting in the window (saw some TT Subs, Milgauss and Air Kings etc.).

Haven’t heard anything since then and am starting to think if I’m really ‘on a list’. Would rather they tell me if they can’t put me on as opposed to making me wait. Did not go to other ADs to do the same (since I wanted to build up a relationship with my local AD) but maybe I should? I’m also tempted to just go grey and be done with it but have read many ‘success stories’ on how genuine watch buyers are able to get their wanted watch without previous purchase history etc.

Thoughts?
    After a long hiatus from watches due to buying a money pit, I am once again looking to scratch the itch and popped into Goldsmiths the only AD in my area (Newcastle). The first question they asked was about previous purchase history, I did buy 3 watches a number of years ago, so they were happy to fill in an expression of interest card in, but were honest enough to say it was unlikely to be anytime soon.

I enquired about a sub date and a hulk, my grail would be a black ceramic Daytona but tbh was too embarrassed to ask to be put on the list for that watch.... I just wish Rolex would ramp up production so that people could just buy the watch they want, I'm not overly fussed about resale price, although one of the benefits of a Rolex is they generally at least hold their value.