closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a motorbike

Master

Buying a motorbike

It's like the wild west. Nearly every one I look at has no documents, "it'll have to be applied for", no MOT on seemingly immaculate bikes, crash repaired, complete lack of service history, broken plastics, rust, missing components, no spare key, aftermarket parts and so on. I'm amazed anyone ever hands over their cash to these shysters. Rant over. If anyone knows of a decent 125 for a tall guy I'm in the market.

Master
    Keep an eye out for a tidy YBR125 Yamaha. Looks like a normal bike, not head down arse up and is favoured by riders doing the cbt transition. They often come up on a BMW forum I frequent, 18 months old 1200 miles ish.

Have you tried bike trader, you can select trade or private?

Good luck

Steve

Master
    If you must have a 125 get a Scooter. Should be just as quick as a YBR, CBR etc, way cooler, more weather protection, easier to carry stuff. I'd choose a Vespa GTS125 but there are loads more. Don't buy Chinese. If possible buy with some warranty from reputable source.
    If private take a trusted mechanic, do a hpi check (mycarcheck.com), do a check list and ask salient questions before setting out and always walk away if any doubt whatsoever.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Keep an eye out for a tidy YBR125 Yamaha. Looks like a normal bike, not head down arse up and is favoured by riders doing the cbt transition. They often come up on a BMW forum I frequent, 18 months old 1200 miles ish.

Have you tried bike trader, you can select trade or private?

Good luck

Steve
    They are too small. Did the CBT on one. But thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    If you must have a 125 get a Scooter. Should be just as quick as a YBR, CBR etc, way cooler, more weather protection, easier to carry stuff. I'd choose a Vespa GTS125 but there are loads more. Don't buy Chinese. If possible buy with some warranty from reputable source.
    If private take a trusted mechanic, do a hpi check (mycarcheck.com), do a check list and ask salient questions before setting out and always walk away if any doubt whatsoever.
    I’ll debate the cool point re scooters. Plus I want gears and practice opportunities for a few weeks while I slowly get my big licence. But the rest is sensible stuff, my trusty MX riding pal is on my wing. It’s just frustrating that these muppets out there could sell so much easier if they could be bothered to look after their stuff or even answer a few questions!

Most of them are still teenagers; they can’t scratch their arses without help, let alone maintain a bike!

Probably something like a Yam wrf125 would do the trick.

You don't mention what the budget is. If you're a big lad, a Honda Varadero might be worth a look, a full size bike with a little engine..

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01905258321693

Cheers,

Plug

I was going to suggest a Varadero too, as they are one of the few modern 125s that are suitable for a taller chap. Actually I can't think of any others.

The catch is that they are expensive so a good one will set you back.

If you must have a geared 125 and intend to keep it a long time then it might be the right answer, but if the intention is to move up to something bigger in the not too distant future then it might be worth squeezing onto a YBR or similar for the short period of ownership.

Regards maintenance; whilst neglect is clearly a bad thing, no proof of dealer maintenance is no great surprise. An annual dealer service may cost £100-£150 the value of the bike and there's very little to do. The YBR has no oil filter, so a simple oil change, look to see it there's any brake pads left and count the wheels once a year is pretty much it, with perhaps an air filter, spark plug and perhaps new brake fluid every 5. Camchains rarely need retensioning and whilst you can check the valves they never need adjusting. Basically, as long as there's some oil on the chain occasionally they pretty much run forever with minimal attention (which is a good thing)

Master
    Yep, Varadero on the list. It is bigger. There’s one local to me I’ll buy if the seller sorts some issues out. I also keep looking at the WR125 and its ilk but I wonder how tragic I’ll be on a supermoto or enduro style bike at my ripe old age? No one can tell with my gear on I guess! In answer to the other comment, I don’t see any point compromising on a physically small bike just to save a few quid now. It’s only cash flow as long as I buy something that is popular so it sells quickly when I want to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Yep, Varadero on the list. It is bigger. There’s one local to me I’ll buy if the seller sorts some issues out. I also keep looking at the WR125 and its ilk but I wonder how tragic I’ll be on a supermoto or enduro style bike at my ripe old age? No one can tell with my gear on I guess! In answer to the other comment, I don’t see any point compromising on a physically small bike just to save a few quid now. It’s only cash flow as long as I buy something that is popular so it sells quickly when I want to.
    Yes, I forgot the Varadero, reasonable choice. Big chap will look a bit of a nob on the others. One other thing, always remember that you will be selling the bike in the future so buy something that won't be hard to sell on, hence my Chinese comment.

I’d second, third or fourth the Varadero. Not cool with the ‘yoofs’ so should be easier to find a decent one that has actually seen a oil change and filters and not been thrashed to within an inch of grenading itself. Big ol’ unit too for a 125. I’m 6’5” and not the smallest bloke you’ve ever seen and I find them quite comfortable.

I'd get a KTM Duke, think they look nice. I had a 690 a while back but a friend had the 125 and said it was very nice to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    I'd get a KTM Duke, think they look nice. I had a 690 a while back but a friend had the 125 and said it was very nice to ride.

Are they big enough? Hadn’t even thought about them as they look small but never seen one in the flesh.

If you’re gonna go for a 125 don’t get a CBR or YBR you’ll just look silly with all the looks and none of the power to back it up, a CBF is a nice bike

If you’re a tall guy though I’d have a look at he Varadero it’s a V Twin 125 that’s almost the same size as a normal bike so perfect for the taller rider.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    [IMG]http://motorbikespecs.net/images/Honda/XL_125_V5_Varadero_05/XL_125_V5_Varadero_05_1.jpg[\IMG]
    Last edited by Franco; 7th June 2019 at 06:54.

personally i would not bother with the 125, use the money to do a direct access course and get something bigger - lots more choices .

Master
    Another vote for skipping the 125 and spending the money on more lessons or more choice for when you pass. I did my DAS last summer and I’m now riding a 1200 Bonneville (plus a 650 Tiger, a 500 BSA single and a Honda XL250).

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    personally i would not bother with the 125, use the money to do a direct access course and get something bigger - lots more choices .
    Lots more choices and, as someone that commutes, has days out and holidays by motorcycle I'd be tempted to agree. However, not knowing the OP's intended use and circumstances then it's hard to say.

If you have no genuine need to regularly exceed 50mph, it would be hard to justify anything bigger than a 125. Relatively tiny insurance, very low tax, great fuel consumption, low servicing costs, light and easy to park in smaller spaces and with careful selection, little or no depreciation.

My son has bought, serviced and run a low mileage YBR125 for 3 years for less than my mate in his 40's has paid on insurance on his R1200GS for one year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Lots more choices and, as someone that commutes, has days out and holidays by motorcycle I'd be tempted to agree. However, not knowing the OP's intended use and circumstances then it's hard to say.

If you have no genuine need to regularly exceed 50mph, it would be hard to justify anything bigger than a 125. Relatively tiny insurance, very low tax, great fuel consumption, low servicing costs, light and easy to park in smaller spaces and with careful selection, little or no depreciation.

My son has bought, serviced and run a low mileage YBR125 for 3 years for less than my mate in his 40's has paid on insurance on his R1200GS for one year.
    All I want is my own bike for sunny days this summer and a little run out for the odd practice as I learn. I’m going to do the big bike tests but I’m not keen on an intensive course as I’d rather space things out over a few weeks and have a bit more instructor time. I’m obviously limited in that case if I want my own bike between now and passing. As has been said, it’s something to sell on so that’s a factor. The money isn’t “saved” by skipping ahead, I still need those same lessons regardless of my choice to own a 125 for a while or not.

I have a good friend who is interested in selling her 2002 VT125 Shadow.

She bought it around 6 years ago to take her CBT, and has done less than 1,000 miles in that time.
    I went with her to choose the bike, collected it, have serviced it twice, and take it for MOT every year.

They are a great learner, easy to ride and the cruiser style is very comfortable for a Sunday pootle out.

Keep it for 12 months, take your test and sell it for what you paid - these little bikes are depreciation-proof :)

It looks just like this, but this is not the bike in question.
    The bike is near Wigan. If this is of interest, let me know.
    Last edited by W124; 7th June 2019 at 19:59.

It's like the wild west. Nearly every one I look at has no documents, "it'll have to be applied for", no MOT on seemingly immaculate bikes, crash repaired, complete lack of service history, broken plastics, rust, missing components, no spare key, aftermarket parts and so on. I'm amazed anyone ever hands over their cash to these shysters. Rant over. If anyone knows of a decent 125 for a tall guy I'm in the market.
    Yamaha WR125 supermoto - how tall are you?
    Lots of 125s have been owned by teenagers so unless their mum is Servicing them - they won’t be maintained basically

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    I have a good friend who is interested in selling her 2002 VT125 Shadow.
    Thanks for taking the time to post, but that’s not the bike for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Yamaha WR125 supermoto - how tall are you?
    Lots of 125s have been owned by teenagers so unless their mum is Servicing them - they won’t be maintained basically

Yes, they fit well. Got one coming up at a local dealer hopefully. I’ll pay a premium but at least it’s going out the door with a proper service, mot and short warranty.

Yes, they fit well. Got one coming up at a local dealer hopefully. I’ll pay a premium but at least it’s going out the door with a proper service, mot and short warranty.
    My daughter’s ex boyfriend had one and, whilst pretty gutless (as are all learner bikes I suppose), it still felt like a proper size bike when I rode it. It wasn’t physically much smaller than my wrf250 or 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    My daughter’s ex boyfriend had one and, whilst pretty gutless (as are all learner bikes I suppose), it still felt like a proper size bike when I rode it. It wasn’t physically much smaller than my wrf250 or 400.
    They look very smart too - and will go round corners well by the looks of it !

I'm a tall chap and I've been researching 125s myself. If you can countenance a scooter, the most frequent recommendation seems to be the Suzuki Burgman 125.

https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/bikes/scooter/burgman-125

Master
    I second the KTM Duke 125 recommendation. It was my first bike, big bike feel, with a lot of big bike extras too. It really was great for everything from dual carriageway to bombing around Dartmoor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    I second the KTM Duke 125 recommendation. It was my first bike, big bike feel, with a lot of big bike extras too. It really was great for everything from dual carriageway to bombing around Dartmoor.

I'm going to have to try one for size. It looks like a small bike in pictures! Thanks.

Master
    Thanks for the comments and advice. I hate it when the OP doesn’t give closure and so I bought a WR125 to see how I get on. It’s a doddle to ride and I’m the third careful middle aged owner. Love getting a new toy.

Looks great and far more exciting than a Varadero

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nice looking bike... glad you got something cool looking and a decent size - won’t need to slow down for speed bumps either !!

Are they big enough? Hadn’t even thought about them as they look small but never seen one in the flesh.
    Took me a while to respond sorry Yea they're a reasonable size, I'm a really big fan. I'd definitely recommend going to see one if nothing else, love KTM stuff.

Craftsman
    Went to the motorcycle accident ward at Stanmore Hospital when I was 16, never wanted a bike after that

Quote Originally Posted by browjam View Post
    Went to the motorcycle accident ward at Stanmore Hospital when I was 16, never wanted a bike after that
    Did you visit the STD clinic too?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Did you visit the STD clinic too?

brilliant.

Love comments like that, don’t leave the house, or in fact bed, if you don’t want any risk in your life!

Master
    We had a health and safety talk when I started my apprenticeship aged 16. One of the horror stories they told was about a bloke who lost a hand when his wristwatch got caught in a guard rail. Never wanted a watch after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    We had a health and safety talk when I started my apprenticeship aged 16. One of the horror stories they told was about a bloke who lost a hand when his wristwatch got caught in a guard rail. Never wanted a watch after that.
    Tell you what, we heard some horror stories when I joined the local S&M club. My angle grinder went straight in the bin as soon as I got home.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was a physio there in the 80's - motorcycles accounted for many of the most disabling injuries suffered by predominantly young people, particularly amputations, spinal cord injuries and brachial plexus injuries. As well of the loss of function, many had to endure horrendous, intractable nerve pain.

It didn't stop me returning to bikes (twice) after I left there, but it made me appreciate just how life changing motorbike accidents can be.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I started off on a Yamaha YZF R125...they're great!

Apprentice
    OP. Did you find anything to suit?

125s will always be a bit more iffy to purchase as loads of half wits and chavs charge around on them and as such tend to be abused by a lot of their owners. They do get dropped/crashed and nicked more than the bigger machines due to the newer riders that have them as well but there are some great cared for bikes out there. If you're tall have a look at a Derbi Terra Adventure. Looks like a much bigger bike than it is. A pal had one and it was quite a well built and nice riding machine for the cash.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKnispel View Post
    OP. Did you find anything to suit?

125s will always be a bit more iffy to purchase as loads of half wits and chavs charge around on them and as such tend to be abused by a lot of their owners. They do get dropped/crashed and nicked more than the bigger machines due to the newer riders that have them as well but there are some great cared for bikes out there. If you're tall have a look at a Derbi Terra Adventure. Looks like a much bigger bike than it is. A pal had one and it was quite a well built and nice riding machine for the cash.
    I posted a picture of the bike I bought earlier in thread. Two careful middle aged owners before me. It’s all going well.