closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the Workshop; a very special Jaguar! And expensive damage...

Blog Entries

Tales from the Workshop; a very special Jaguar! And expensive damage...

It has been a while since I posted pics from nice cars in the workshop. There's a ton of work behind us and a ton of work in front of us. Things are pretty hectic from time to time. Most cars that are on the ramps are Jaguar. Even German Jag E-type owners are amongst the clients!

Despite all sorts of Jags, there's always room for a 'first': an early 50s Birch Grey Jaguar XK 120! The car needs a valve adjustment. A 2-day job for the 3.4 engine. Adjusting the valve is a 'radiator and camshaft out' job. A good moment to replace the water pump as well!

The XK120 is an 'older restoration'. Given the specks of rust to be spotted under the car, I would say around 2000 - 02. It's not a perfect car when you look really close (and I don't refer to the small dent on the LH door). Door gap adjustment is out, the way the lower part of the doors (only visible when you're under the car) isn't done nicely etc. I still think this is a 100K euros car.

Apart from the these small details, this is a wonderful looking car and the birch grey colour suits the car perfectly! Black top and red interior complete the whole picture!

About the expensive damage: a green XKR was brought in because someone reversed into it. That car's towbar pushed in all essentials behind the grill: PAS cooler (that round 'brush'-like thing on the bottom), heat exchanger, oil cooler, supercharger radiator and 'normal' radiator. Damage including dismantling, rebuilding, new front and painting? Between 6 and 9K euros... That's a lot of money for a 2 km/hr collision. Luckily, the Jag owner is insured and the older lady who has hit the Jag is insured as well.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 5th June 2019 at 16:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Classical beauty, Jag need to revisit their stable - styling like that will always be cherished.

I'm assuming the tappet adjustment on these are done with variable sized shims like the 3.8-4.2?
    Lovely old thing Menno.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I'm assuming the tappet adjustment on these are done with variable sized shims like the 3.8-4.2?
    Lovely old thing Menno.
    Indeed: measuring, writing down, do the maths and find the correct shims (and then we have convert between mm and thou...). I am not good with that; let's say we all have our specialities...

Beautiful looking Jag. Probably horrible to drive, by modern standards, but a lovely thing nonetheless.

Cheers,

Plug

Gorgeous, I love those.

The colour is a bit downbeat though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Gorgeous, I love those.

The colour is a bit downbeat though.

That has also to do with my pic-taking skills, I suppose. The colour is nicer than I can show here. Especially since that grey-ish colour is totally 'en vogue' on Porsches and Audis

Blog Entries
    Expensive supermarket accident

An absolute beauty in my eyes.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.