closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear New Season

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Badge w***ers will hate it but I want a Yaris GR so bad!
    I wonder why they didnt give it to the Stig? Mucho embarrassment for the £100-200K cars at the top of the list maybe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    That could have worked so well too, if Chris Evans had been able to take the show on, and produce it himself. He’s a brilliant presenter who’s very creative and has a genuine passion for cars and broadcasting. If he was able to bring some of the energy of TGI Friday and the Big Breakfast into a motoring themed show it could have been great. Unfortunately Clarkson and Andy Willman just rebranded Top Gear to Grand Tour and sold the show to Amazon instead, leaving the BBC to make their own version without the talent.

The new line up on Top Gear is definitely the best it’s been since Clarkson and is an enjoyable show.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Sorry, I was just reading the updates, not meant to post.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the new series , I hate what the Army have done to Lyneham though.

Journeyman
    Found myself fast forwarding parts of last nights show. It’s just so predictable - same old thing and too forced. I like the presenters but time to call it a day for the programme I think.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I watched it last night for the first time in years due to some advertising on the local radio about sports cars for middle aged men.

Unfortunately it was just an hour long pile of drivel aimed at thickos who think they are petrol head wannabes.

Sadly it has become an embarrassment.

Such irony...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I watched it last night for the first time in years due to some advertising on the local radio about sports cars for middle aged men.

Unfortunately it was just an hour long pile of drivel aimed at thickos who think they are petrol head wannabes.

Sadly it has become an embarrassment.
    I think it is OK, as long as you just take it as light entertainment/comedy and not think of it as a car show. I am not really interested in cars and I am definitely not a petrol head wannabe. Maybe I am a thicko, as I quite like the show.

I have never warmed to PM but think the program is as good as anything the CHM produced

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I like the new series , I hate what the Army have done to Lyneham though.
    I am in your camp on both counts. The series has been light-hearted motoring escapism, with presenters that are a bit rough around the edges....which adds value in my view. Must make me a thicko then, according to Mick P....perhaps he only enjoys high-brow documentaries. I prefer not to judge people on their chosen medium for entertainment, as long as it causes no harm to others.

The Army has made Lyneham fit for its purpose; a long way from the unit I served at for many years, but better than being left to rack and ruin. It was nice to see a few old familiar vistas though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I have never warmed to PM but think the program is as good as anything the CHM produced
    The one thing that has to be admitted is that it generates a massive income for the BBC. It seems a bit like the top selling Sun newspaper, everyone claims not to read it.

I’m happy for those who enjoy TG and TGT, but I wish there was still a motoring programme around for us geeks, like the original Top Gear was. Can’t beat William Woollard in a rally jacket talking about transmissions.

This episode from 1983 leads off with how Lotus developed active suspension.

https://youtu.be/D8ukxnGaeLg

Rather have this than what the Clarkson, Hammond and May Top Gear had become any day. It had become stale, predictable and a bit embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I’m happy for those who enjoy TG and TGT, but I wish there was still a motoring programme around for us geeks, like the original Top Gear was. Can’t beat William Woollard in a rally jacket talking about transmissions.

This episode from 1983 leads off with how Lotus developed active suspension.

The Caw wow bloke on YouTube isn’t bad

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I wish there was still a motoring programme around for us geeks

Prime time TV is never going to be aimed at a subset of motoring geeks, which is why YouTube is so brilliant. There thousands of hours of content specifically aimed at you.

I like some of surfing and cycling content on YouTube but no desire to see the BBC do big budget shows on those subjects, Youtubers do them better, and I can watch them when I decide.

I enjoyed this series and it left me impressed that they were able to cobble it together under very limiting circumstances. It's an entertainment show and I found it entertaining. Times change, and with so much proper petrolhead content on youtube I am just glad there is still enough interest in cars, no matter how superficial, for the show to still exist.

Back in the old days we supplied an AC Ace Bristol for one of the episodes (about the demise of the British car industry), and it was a really miserable experience which put me off the show for many years. It wasn't until Harris joined that I paid attention again, but I must say Freddie Flintoff has been the star or this season for me.

Master
    Enjoy top gear now more than I have done for many years! Last time I truly enjoyed the old top gear was the America special.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 5th April 2021 at 13:30.

Prime time TV is never going to be aimed at a subset of motoring geeks, which is why YouTube is so brilliant. There thousands of hours of content specifically aimed at you.
    Sure, I watch Youtube more than terrestrial TV these days. I still regret the passing of proper science and engineering shows on mainstream TV though, even for just a couple of hours a week. It’s not as if those interested only in light hearted banter/reality are short of options on TV or the Internet.

Well I enjoyed it. You know, I've never considered myself a 'thicko' (2 x Degrees, Ex-Director of a multinational company, study Quantum Physics for fun, etc, etc). Ho hum - at least I know what entertains a thicko like me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    ....about sports cars for middle aged men.
    There’s your problem then 😉

Master
    I have no idea who this is even aimed at anymore, I can’t imagine even 10 year old enjoying it...... The format is dreadful and tired, the end of the old guys had become unwatchable as well. For a moment with Matt Leblanc etc it was not too bad and showed some signed of life.

Chris Harris is an excellent motoring journalist, maybe the best out there and IMO is only doing this to bump his pension pot. Cannot see any world in which he is enjoying this crap. Andrew Flintoff actually seems like a nice guy and don’t mind him at all. The thing that really kills the show is Paddy, listening to his cartoon voice and looking at his stupid annoying face just makes the show unwatchable. Again no idea who he appeals too.......

Master
    Watched it with my 6 year old, and he laughs out loud to bits that I would fast forward, but I still enjoy some pieces with the nice cars, so it’s still good family viewing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    Found myself fast forwarding parts of last nights show. It’s just so predictable - same old thing and too forced. I like the presenters but time to call it a day for the programme I think.
    'Hey Steve, you know that machine that sits downstairs?"

"What one Bob, the one in the corner that keeps printing money?"

"Yeah, that's the one. Shall we get rid of it?"

Master
    I thought it was very entertaining, it's just 3 blokes messing about in cars for prime time TV, not sure what you naysayers would make of Jackass!

if Chris Evans had been able to take the show on, and produce it himself. He’s a brilliant presenter who’s very creative and has a genuine passion for cars and broadcasting.
    That aside, he is one extra large penis headed one time ginger twunt though......so I'm not sure 🤔

That could have worked so well too, if Chris Evans had been able to take the show on, and produce it himself. He’s a brilliant presenter who’s very creative and has a genuine passion for cars and broadcasting. If he was able to bring some of the energy of TGI Friday and the Big Breakfast into a motoring themed show it could have been great.
    He tried, and mostly failed.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    That aside, he is one extra large penis headed one time ginger twunt though......so I'm not sure 🤔
    Chris evans always had a tough act to follow, happily it’s in a better place now, the latest series was enjoyable

That could have worked so well too, if Chris Evans had been able to take the show on, and produce it himself. He’s a brilliant presenter who’s very creative and has a genuine passion for cars and broadcasting. If he was able to bring some of the energy of TGI Friday and the Big Breakfast into a motoring themed show it could have been great.
    I'd have to disagree vehemently there, on every point.

I guess the reality is that Evans was/is a very Marmite presenter - I can't watch or listen to him at all (I'm told in person he's a lovely chap).

While he had an enthusiasm for cars, it always struck me as very superficial - A bit like a watch enthusiast who only loves Rolexes.

Anyway, thankfully, he's Top Gear history and, whilst I'm not 100% sold on the current lineup (in reality I think it's McGinty that gets my goat, although he's the slickest in front of the camera), it does provide a reasonable degree of entertainment, if not on a par with the best of CMH.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Strangely despite hating the cricketer on top gear, I watched an episode of the U.K. tour from league of gentlemen and really enjoyed it - but like top gear but without the cars.

Surprised me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'd have to disagree vehemently there, on every point.

I guess the reality is that Evans was/is a very Marmite presenter - I can't watch or listen to him at all (I'm told in person he's a lovely chap).

While he had an enthusiasm for cars, it always struck me as very superficial - A bit like a watch enthusiast who only loves Rolexes.

Anyway, thankfully, he's Top Gear history and, whilst I'm not 100% sold on the current lineup (in reality I think it's McGinty that gets my goat, although he's the slickest in front of the camera), it does provide a reasonable degree of entertainment, if not on a par with the best of CMH.

M
    I can deal with Paddy cos I'm a Northerner myself and the cricket guy with his tongue glued to his palate is fine but Chris Harris's turned up jeans p!$$ me off to eternity

I tried to like the new series but just ended up fast-forwarding most of it. the Scottish tour had some ice scenery which was a highlight the rest was just poor.

Master
    I can deal with Paddy cos I'm a Northerner myself and the cricket guy with his tongue glued to his palate is fine but Chris Harris's turned up jeans p!$$ me off to eternity
    Ha ha well.. he’s a good driver and has the knowledge so can’t you let him off a little bit

Master
    Chris Harris's turned up jeans p!$$ me off to eternity
    Hard to find jeans in a 32" waist and 24" inside leg though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    And the tailors have been shut...

Journeyman
    Lol

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

It's a fair point.

Perhaps he should try SC?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I (and importantly my wife) have enjoyed this series. Seeing Chris Harris's laughing like a lunatic while driving the GR Yaris was particulary good as I have one of these due to arrive in December :-)

Master
    This series was over far too quickly, it was great fun..
    However, aside from the banter I think Flintoff is showing that he's out of his depth a bit. The three car challenges where they jump between presenters and get them to sing the praises of their chosen car has become especially grating, he uses very generic, banal references and clichés galore, he really doesn't make a good presenter I'm afraid.
    That said, I'm not sure Paddy would work quite as well without him to bounce off.

Chris Harris is the saviour of the show, his knowledge and driving skill, and general passion for all things 4-wheeled, is palpable. The segment where he drove his dad's old car (the model of car - not the actual car) was pretty moving, and the Coln mcrae tribute a couple of seasons back where he was allowed a drive of the tour winning Subaru had me welling up, he treated it as a religious experience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    This series was over far too quickly, it was great fun..
    However, aside from the banter I think Flintoff is showing that he's out of his depth a bit. The three car challenges where they jump between presenters and get them to sing the praises of their chosen car has become especially grating, he uses very generic, banal references and clichés galore, he really doesn't make a good presenter I'm afraid.
    That said, I'm not sure Paddy would work quite as well without him to bounce off.

Chris Harris is the saviour of the show, his knowledge and driving skill, and general passion for all things 4-wheeled, is palpable. The segment where he drove his dad's old car (the model of car - not the actual car) was pretty moving, and the Coln mcrae tribute a couple of seasons back where he was allowed a drive of the tour winning Subaru had me welling up, he treated it as a religious experience.
    Exactly the reasons I think he’s just excellent, his passion is infectious

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Completely agree.

Master
    I think the current line up is good. They can all be irritating at times, as could the old guard, especially Hamster.
    However, they gel together well. I actually really enjoyed the majority of this series, as did my wife, and she’s not done that since the CMH heydays.
    I think we all need to remember that towards the end of their tenure CMH really were producing absolute drivel.
    Anyone remember the ambulance episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I think the current line up is good. They can all be irritating at times, as could the old guard, especially Hamster.
    However, they gel together well. I actually really enjoyed the majority of this series, as did my wife, and she’s not done that since the CMH heydays.
    I think we all need to remember that towards the end of their tenure CMH really were producing absolute drivel.
    Anyone remember the ambulance episode?

Agreed 100%.

Although I really don't find any of the new line up irritating! Perhaps my threshold is higher or lower than yours? ;-)

There were about three or four years where CHM were at the absolute top of their game and producing some of the best television in years - the trip to the North Pole, The American Road Trip, the Toyboata and others.

I think this is the period that most people remember fondly. For the last few years of their tenure they were clearly running out of ideas, often made increasingly outrageous and nasty comments for no discernible reason, and did indeed produce some utter codswallop.

Nothing it forever, and by the time their run ended they were well past their sell by date in my opinion.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Could the Christmas special be the rusty nail in the 400bhp coffin?

Decided to watch it and found it both tedious and boring, watched it till the end but it probably the first time that I kept checking to see how much more I had to endure.

Probably will carry on watching but again, first time that the entire family found it dull and boring.

I didn’t even get to the end of it and I usually enjoy TG

Master
    There’s some interesting opinions on here, mostly correct I think, for the vast part TG is very enjoyable but that last one was quite a weak episode let alone a special

The grand tour Xmas effort was much better as Xmas car fixes go.

I still maintain the presenters by and large are quite good, I like flintoff and Harris also Mcguniess is a bit irritating

Will carry on watching, I’m about to start watching new 5th gear, see what that is like but I’d wager not as good!

Master
    I find I tend to ignore Paddy McG, don’t like him as a presenter, the show has become a bit of a one trick pony with a long running story through it, much preferred when several items were covered, if one was dull there was always something else to make up for it.

Journeyman
    I do enjoy watching top gear and enjoy when they put cars around the track for the fastest lap to see how they all compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I preferred the TG Xmas show compared to the Grand Tour nonsense show ....

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m enjoying the current TG format. My expectations are low these days which helps.

For actual car buying information and reviews there are many better options on YouTube.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There’s some interesting opinions on here, mostly correct I think, for the vast part TG is very enjoyable but that last one was quite a weak episode let alone a special

The grand tour Xmas effort was much better as Xmas car fixes go.

I still maintain the presenters by and large are quite good, I like flintoff and Harris also Mcguniess is a bit irritating

Will carry on watching, I’m about to start watching new 5th gear, see what that is like but I’d wager not as good!

Is there a GT Christmas special? Or are you talking about Carnage a Trois?