closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Normal corrosion of 2011 Lexus?

Master

Normal corrosion of 2011 Lexus?

As per the other hybrid battery thread, I am looking at a 2011 Lexus CT200h, 27000 miles, seems in great condition and has been to Lexus every year of its life. I asked for some pics of the underside, to my untrained eye this looks like pretty unworrying amounts of corrosion, would anyone disagree??

That's not so bad for a car that age. It MAY have lived near the seaside. Everything on show there can be easily rectified, I'd not be too concerned at all really.
    Never venture under an MX-5 tho !!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    That's not so bad for a car that age. It MAY have lived near the seaside. I'd not be too concerned at all really. Never venture under an MX-5 tho hahaha
    It has I'm afraid, it is a local car and I am Plymouth based, main reason I wanted to look

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    A good wire brush and some waxoyl and it will trouble free for many years to come,do the brake pipes as well with it or some grease.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It's 10 years old and will have been through 10 winters of salt on the road.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Looks better than a 5 year old Porsche I inspected. Nothing that worries me there.

Blog Entries
    That's not too bad! Although I must admit that I've never looked under a Lexus before. Surface rust. Perhaps it's best to show these pics to an MoT man you trust. He must have seen tons of cars, so he can compare it with what he's used to see. A quick search on the Dutch Lexus forum shows no threads about rust problems.

The Dutch AA has an item about buying a second-hand 200 CT. The battery is of no concern, provided that the car has been used regularly. Driving = regular recharging and that is good for the battery. When there's no traction and there's a 'hybrid system malfunction' then then it's often the service plug that has a fouling connector. No big deal; the Dutch AA puts it right on the hard shoulder of the road (= minor problem).

Menno

Small world, I've actually seen this car at Turners of Roborough on the Tavistock Road.

The underside condtion looks quite acceptable to me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

it's surface rust on a 10 year old car... less than an hour with a wire brush and underseal will sort that.

Master
    Haha, no kidding! Incredibly well looked after car, I am looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Small world, I've actually seen this car at Turners of Roborough on the Tavistock Road.

The underside condtion looks quite acceptable to me.

R

Master

Normal corrosion of 2011 Lexus?

I also thought a seaside car.

The bushes look a little tired ( as you might expect) perhaps worth factoring in replacement. The rear left hand side check for oil leak as very dark around calliper.

Wire brush will reveal but one photo looks like filler.

If buying from a dealer I might ask them to replace / lubricate some of what looks like heavily rusted bolts/nuts as they will have the tools and experience to replace easier than me.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 29th December 2021 at 06:00.

Master
    I’d say that looks more like old sealant than filler but not the best photo.

Article here about rust treatment and prevention might give the op some pointers
    https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...ph-fleet/41771

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    That's not so bad for a car that age. It MAY have lived near the seaside. Everything on show there can be easily rectified, I'd not be too concerned at all really.
    Never venture under an MX-5 tho !!!!
    The "seaside" thing is a myth, unless you drive through seawater! I live at the seaside and my local MOT man tells me that he does not have a disproportionate number of "corrosion" failures. Just the opposite. The insulating effect of the sea on the land means that we get less council placed salt on our local roads than inland areas! Check out the coastal weather reports and you will see that temperatures are always a couple of degrees warmer on the coast, than inland. It doesn't feel that way but the temps speak for themselves. In summer, we are always a few degrees cooler too! Strange innit?

Master
    It's been to Lexus every year of it's life...the mot history check is excellent.

Just down to price...if you don't buy it someone will snap that up.

Looks like normal ten year surface rust ro me. And it wouldnt have all appeared in the last twelve months, so if there were no advisories about it on last year's Mot I wouldn't worry.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    It's been to Lexus every year of it's life...the mot history check is excellent.

Just down to price...if you don't buy it someone will snap that up.
    This is the sticking point, financially I would be making a terrible decision… I have a 2017 Honda Civic estate 34000 miles I don’t enjoy it at all. They want that plus a grand…

If I go for it this would very much be a heart over head kind of decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    This is the sticking point, financially I would be making a terrible decision… I have a 2017 Honda Civic estate 34000 miles I don’t enjoy it at all. They want that plus a grand…

If I go for it this would very much be a heart over head kind of decision!

Have you priced up what we buy any car & evans hallshaw are offering to buy yours for?
    Could make the cost to change more palatable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Have you priced up what we buy any car & evans hallshaw are offering to buy yours for?
    Could make the cost to change more palatable
    The dealer has matched the we buy any car price. Which actually I thought was pretty decent. Just the idea of trading a 2017 for a 2011 plus cash!

Wash it spotless clean underneath, get as much loose rust off as possible with wire brush or drill bits with wire is what i do.
    Wear protection, full face shield i find best, and gloves.
    Treat it with rust killer / rust converter.
    Then paint with dinitrol 4941 ( heat the can in a bucket of boiling water to make it more runny )
    Let dry, they put on 2nd coat.

Clean and re paint every couple of years if you want to keep it long term.

If selling you can show the buyer underneath and it will look impressive and rust free.
    Last edited by xellos99; 29th December 2021 at 12:42.

What makes you think that you’ll enjoy driving the Lexus?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I did wonder that too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Relaxing nature of it, auto box, sound system, quality of materials

Agree, it’s not about the actual driving for everyone - more the experience of being in it.

I've been looking at a 2011 IS but I find the interior / kit to look very dated.

Master
    I'd be more worried about the colour whilst it seems a well looked after example I would struggle with the price for a 10yr old car with a battery and an old tech infotainment system.