closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear New Season

It's called a Matra Simca Bagheera, they cant even get that right.

Blog Entries
    I’m really enjoying the new series ...
    - last nights episode with the durian fruit had me laughing out loud.

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Who really cares about the whole Brunei nonsense
    Quite a number of people who’d comment about it on social media I suspect. Especially following London Pride. Not that FF for instance appeared to be that sincere in saying it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Last nights show was in my opinion poor compared to previous weeks, got bored, can’t expect every week to suit I suppose.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Last night's episode wasn't awful but it wasn't as good as they have been.
    The RR review seemed a bit of an odd choice.

Master
    I’m generally enjoying it without really analysing why.

I guess it’s the knockabout stupidity and the fact that on the road trips they are supporting one another rather than pretending to dump on each other all the time.

Maybe the budget’s down I don’t know but taking that lot to Brunei must have cost a few bob.

I’m a Lancastrian and I’m curious what the rest of the country makes of our refined use of the language. My wife thinks we are all dim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    Quite a number of people who’d comment about it on social media I suspect. Especially following London Pride. Not that FF for instance appeared to be that sincere in saying it.

You misunderstand, the whole piece in Brunei was nonsense!
    Last edited by Foxy100; 9th July 2019 at 06:26.
    "A man of little significance"

"Arms like a dinner lady" - made me laugh.

I find it enjoyable and entertaining, but it's hardly a car programme these days. The RR review was very poor - not that I will ever buy one. Harris never even showed the rear suicide doors - which I think are very cool in their own right.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    You misunderstand, the whole piece in Brunei was nonsense!
    I suspect they had a vision for the piece that would have been OK but was changed as a result of The Sultan’s outdated views.

Sadly there are only so many adventures they can go on before it all becomes a bit samey though.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It's called a Matra Simca Bagheera, they cant even get that right.
    SWMBO thinks I’m weird because I told her what it was before they’d taken the cover off.

I didn’t spot the Allaggro estate though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    SWMBO thinks I’m weird because I told her what it was before they’d taken the cover off.

I didn’t spot the Allaggro estate though!
    My uncle had a super-looking Humber Sceptre back in the day. When it rusted away he bought an Allegro Estate. What a come down, yet it did the job.

Last episode of the new series and it was absolutely great - the off-road racing in Iceland is bonkers and great to watch, the new Supra and CH two minute car reviews very watchable, and the Lotus 79 film was first class.

I'm hugely looking forward to the next series with a level of enthusiasm I haven't felt for TG in many years.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Last episode of the new series and it was absolutely great - the off-road racing in Iceland is bonkers and great to watch, the new Supra and CH two minute car reviews very watchable, and the Lotus 79 film was first class.
    Just watched it and was about to type pretty much the same thing*

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

I'm hugely looking forward to the next series with a level of enthusiasm I haven't felt for TG in many years.
    Sums up my feelings exactly. Was brilliant today.

Master
    I think they might finally have got it right. I managed to watch it all the way through. I would like to see more Fifth Gear stylee tests and some of the the hilarious stuff the old crew did like the three wheeler sketch with Clarkson.

Yep - very good. My only complaint is that 5 shows is too short for a series.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    4 out of 5 cracking episodes, 1 average one

Overall very enjoyable but why only 5 in the series it’s too short!

Loved the lotus 79 piece it’s such an iconic car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My guess is it was only 5 as a tester. No point in doing 9 episodes (or however many it normally is in a series) if the general public don’t like it.
    I’d bet money on the next series being more than 5 episodes based on the general consensus that it is a vast improvement over the last 3 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    My guess is it was only 5 as a tester. No point in doing 9 episodes (or however many it normally is in a series) if the general public don’t like it.
    I’d bet money on the next series being more than 5 episodes based on the general consensus that it is a vast improvement over the last 3 seasons.
    I’m certain this is correct- and I think I read something that said as much.

Expect the next series to be longer and probably a bit more lavish with the BBC loosening the purse strings.

I have to really take my hat off to the BBC on this - it took time to get it right, but they stuck with it in the face of negative criticism and indifferent reviews. I was massively skeptical when the new line up was announced too.

Their commitment has definitely paid off. It’s properly great fun again.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Top Gear New Season

It could also have something to do with the fact that both Freddie and Paddy are quite busy with other TV work and finding enough time when they’re both free can’t be easy.

Going forward, it should be easier to coordinate their schedules.

Master
    Great to see it back on form, and it seems there’s a consensus of opinion on that.

Looking forward to the next series.

Master
    Back later this year, expect that to in progress now, possibly the best episode yet.

Loved it, especially the Iceland bit and the Lotus 79

I still can't warm to Harris as a presenter and I struggle sometimes to understand what McGinty is saying!

On the plus side, I find Flintoff OK, Harris can drive and McGinty is a half decent presenter.

The last episode was especially good, I'd agree, although they could still drop the 'Star in a XXXXX car' section, it's pretty much filler every week.

7/10 from me. It's not TG at its best, but it's certainly watchable.

Hopefully it'll improve further in the next series (I wonder, though, as McGinty said "We'll back with a big adventure" - Well, I think that's what he said - if it's a Christmas one off he meant?)

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Hopefully it'll improve further in the next series (I wonder, though, as McGinty said "We'll back with a big adventure" - Well, I think that's what he said - if it's a Christmas one off he meant?)

M
    From the boss of BBC2

"I am delighted that this Christmas we’ll have a special adventure which promises to be epic and gruelling in true Top Gear style"

Master
    Still not working for me & would rather they showed the stig driving the lap than a celebrity squeezing a car through a small space.

Why on earth do I want to go online to watch the lap. Madness.

Master
    I think it’s better than it has been for a long time. There were a few years when it was absolutely brilliant, but towards the end of Clarkson et al it was dying a death. It isn’t as good as the halcyon days, but it’s definitely the best since. I’m looking forward to the next series.

I managed to watch the final episode last night and was rather surprised to see Peter Wright appear on the screen during the Lotus 79 part. I have known Peter for several years and knew he had something to do with F1, but I had no idea he was so intrinsically involved with the design of my favourite F1 car ever.

Surprising who turns up on the TV screen sometimes.
    Last edited by Maysie; 17th July 2019 at 10:04.

Craftsman
    Last episode great, the rest though... IMO... awful. It just doesn’t work for me, it’s gone a bit too stupid now. Have to say, I preferred the last series, (controversial).

That said, I’ll still watch it when it comes back on!!

Master
    Just watching the first episode of the new series, and a bit dull. All been done before and no new ideas so far

Entertaining but silly. I must say that Freddie certainly has some stones to do that!

The only car bit was the Atom, which look fabulous. A Harris was right about the bang it delivers for the buck.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I really liked it and is now back to a must weekly watch :) Plenty of laughs
    Just shows you that with the right people and format, you double your viewing figures.
    A lesson to be had there wrt Dr Who with viewing figure plunging!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Entertaining but silly. I must say that Freddie certainly has some stones to do that!

The only car bit was the Atom, which look fabulous. A Harris was right about the bang it delivers for the buck.
    Are you talking about the Nepal episode here? I watched that last night but didn’t see anything about an Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Are you talking about the Nepal episode here? I watched that last night but didn’t see anything about an Atom.
    The first of 6, new series where they bought a cheap cabriolet...

I tolerated it for ten minutes,

Yesterday's episode was rather poor.
    They are flogging a dead horse, that of the CMH trio, instead of making it their own. Which they can do, they have CH who can drive (unlike the former team), and their chemistry is much better on screen.
    FF has balls of steel but the exercise itself was rather pointless (as was the rest), and not exactly entertaining, whether it is pelting them with golf balls or squirting some dubious fluid in their eyes while driving.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I really enjoyed last night's show.

The three of them are obviously having a good laugh together and the camaraderie is genuine - I think it'd be pretty ace if I could muck about like that with friends of mine.

Of course it's all a bit silly, hasn't it always been that way?

Journeyman
    Last nights show was terrible. Utterly moronic.
    On the old Top Gear, alongside the frequent silliness, they didn’t assume the viewers were idiots and the presenters could all coherently explain the ins and outs of cars, where they were filming from etc.
    Only Harris can do this now and he is dumbing down. The other two are beyond words.
    This doesn’t feel like a BBC show but something from Sky One, which no one with a brain cell would ever choose to watch (animation aside).

This used to be the BBC’s biggest money earner globally. I should imagine the financials are tanking. The BBC claims it is skint. It should sell this format while it can and then go back to the drawing board.

Found last nights episode pretty lame, my brain switched off midway through even though it was still on. As pointed out these type of trips have been done to death and with nothing fresh occurring it just becomes repetitive.

Enjoyed the Atom piece and the bungee Metro.

Master
    Loved it. The chemistry is great and for pure entertainment I think it’s superb. Not enjoyed the programme this much for years.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post

Enjoyed the Atom piece and the bungee Metro.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It was a bit average tbh......I am finding Paddy McGuiness more and more irritating ; he is the Hammond of this incarnation.
    The Atom review was ok but what the hell was the point of the bungee??? Seems to me some pointless filler.
    I must admit I was chuckling at Chris-o-saurus though.

Craftsman
    I know they are just re-hashing CMH, but well, did anyone else just Google F35 Lightning?

Was better than last weeks but then that wouldn’t really be that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Was better than last weeks but then that wouldn’t really be that difficult.
    I thought that as well. Last weeks was shocking though.

The ideas man has gone awol.

Master
    Well I thought the Dirty Rascal was a hoot.

Watching it on catchup tonight. Last week was meh, but generally I think chemistry between the guys is good. FF particularly is great presenter.

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I really liked it and is now back to a must weekly watch :) Plenty of laughs
    Just shows you that with the right people and format, you double your viewing figures.
    A lesson to be had there wrt Dr Who with viewing figure plunging!
    Rather off-topic but that last sentence of yours piqued my interest. Mostly because I thought 'serves them right for converting the show into a pulpit for political correctness'.

However, when I googled Dr Who viewing figures my suspicions were aroused when the top hits turned out to be tabloid newspapers.

Digging further, it turns out that viewing figures for Dr Who seasons are U-shaped. They tend to be high at the beginning of the season then fall away only to rise again towards the season finale. Here is a guy who seems to know what he is talking about:

https://medium.com/@theintersectuk/t...n-5a4067cfb267

Theres's lots of other stuff out there.

So here's the takeaway: if you are, unimaginably and heaven forfend, a tabloid newspaper which wants to attack the BBC for what it has done to Dr Who, one thing you might do is to quote viewing figures for the first part of a season and claim this is a long-run trend rather than something which tends to be reversed over a season as a whole.

Back on-topic: I'd rather watch old episodes of Top Gear on Dave than the new crowd and I have tried!
    Last edited by JDB; 3rd February 2020 at 09:01.

I think these three are great fun, can't stand Clarkson so I'm new viewer to TG. Very funny some of it, gravy on tap?