Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear New Season

Master
    Again a very amusing episode it’s not been this good in years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Again a very amusing episode it’s not been this good in years

It seems to me the budget has been severely cut since it's peak five years ago or so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    It seems to me the budget has been severely cut since it's peak five years ago or so.
    I think that’s what made it so good, it was so bad but the presenters made light of it and brought it back to life

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post

Maybe, but Ethiopia wouldn't have been cheap.

I do think the BBC has always done very well in terms of production values with Top Gear - the quality of the cinematography has been exceptional and raised the bar.

I've always found it more telling how The Grand Tour didn't look anything like eight times the budget per episode.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Maybe, but Ethiopia wouldn't have been cheap.

I do think the BBC has always done very well in terms of production values with Top Gear - the quality of the cinematography has been exceptional and raised the bar.

I've always found it more telling how The Grand Tour didn't look anything like eight times the budget per episode.
    I agree about Grand Tour. It always seemed odd to me that they did it from a base in Clarkson's garden, and then just did the same old stuff they'd been doing before. New format, new opportunities, same presenters, producer and writer, and it really did look like they'd run out of ideas. Sure, it looked spectacular at times, and was really well shot, but that's not really enough.

I had hoped they'd be basing the show in a different country for each episode, so they'd have a show entirely based in South Africa, then one in Brazil, one in Norway and so on. No studio audience, just a series of things to go and do. Much like what new TG did in Japan. Never mind.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

I had hoped they'd be basing the show in a different country for each episode, so they'd have a show entirely based in South Africa, then one in Brazil, one in Norway and so on. No studio audience, just a series of things to go and do. Much like what new TG did in Japan. Never mind.
    That’s exactly what they will be doing for the next series of The Grand Tour. It’s specials only, no more tent.

Master
    Good but Paddy McG still looks the weak link*, FF not too slick but then it looks less scripted albeit a little amateur .

* maybe his accent doesn’t work well my hearing aid?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Good but Paddy McG still looks the weak link*, FF not too slick but then it looks less scripted albeit a little amateur .

* maybe his accent doesn’t work well my hearing aid?
    I'm not so sure. Paddy seems to be the one who holds everything together for me, kind of like Clarkson did. He's most comfortable in front of the camera which takes the pressure off the other 2 so they can be more natural.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 25th June 2019 at 15:57.

Craftsman
    I've watched both episodes and will continue watching. As someone that probably hasn't watched a single episode for 10 years, they've captured my interest again.

I like Paddy, he's the best presenter and good for a laugh. FF is unpredictable and definitely has his place. Chris Harris is brilliant as a reviewer, genuine passion for cars, and most importantly of all a great foil (i.e. butt of all the jokes!). Formula is working.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I caught one of the repeats last night. First time since JC etc left that i actually enjoyed it and watched a whole episode.
    Time to set the recorder and give it a fair chance i think.

Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    I caught one of the repeats last night. First time since JC etc left that i actually enjoyed it and watched a whole episode.
    Time to set the recorder and give it a fair chance i think.
    Ditch the repeats and VHS and check out iPlayer. And a warm welcome to 2019.

I agree about Grand Tour. It always seemed odd to me that they did it from a base in Clarkson's garden, and then just did the same old stuff they'd been doing before. New format, new opportunities, same presenters, producer and writer, and it really did look like they'd run out of ideas. Sure, it looked spectacular at times, and was really well shot, but that's not really enough.

Exact what I had hoped - each show based around the car culture of the host country, road tests and challenges in the best and most inspiring roads, guest drivers from that country... the potential was endless.

Instead, as you point out, the much vaunted world travelling tent ended up permanently pitched in Clarkson’s garden and the entire potential of the content was lost.

Oh dear.

Was there a projection in the last bit of the banger racing scene, it looked unreal through the side window?

Journeyman
    I enjoyed tonights!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Another enjoyable episode which made me chuckle even though i don't think it was as good as last week. It's a shame they chucked Sabine in as a bit of comedy relief as seemed a bit weak. I also thought they could've made more use of the ball pit

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Another enjoyable episode which made me chuckle even though i don't think it was as good as last week. It's a shame they chucked Sabine in as a bit of comedy relief as seemed a bit weak. I also thought they could've made more use of the ball pit
    I agree. They were doing fine until the silly race at the end. Sure, they screwed the car so why not go banger racing, but the Sabine joke is one of the final things they need to delete from the Chris Evans era.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Again really enjoyable and so much better than i thought it would be, but ditch the guest slot it's crap.

Though the political correctness can see points of view getting complaints that tonight's episode potentially could offend people who used the car involved (hopefully they swapped the plate at least) and also that the seems to be a fair bit of bullying on Harris.

Master
    It is a lot more enjoyable than I expected it to be. More so than last season which I enjoyed. Reminds me a lot of the top gear I used to enjoy.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 30th June 2019 at 22:21.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Again really enjoyable and so much better than i thought it would be, but ditch the guest slot it's crap.

Though the political correctness can see points of view getting complaints that tonight's episode potentially could offend people who used the car involved (hopefully they swapped the plate at least) and also that the seems to be a fair bit of bullying on Harris.
    I've seen comments about bullying elsewhere, and find it odd. They're obviously (?) playing parts using scripted and choreographed scenes. I get the impression that aside from that, they're genuinely having a good time doing it, which is more than can be said for some recent series.

It was all going really well until the German howler hit the screen, for some reason her shrieks just make me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    It was all going really well until the German howler hit the screen, for some reason her shrieks just make me cringe.
    McGuiness “ I thought they got rid of her” made me laugh

Craftsman
    That was really lame and approaching cringeworthy.

Craftsman
    The “Dogger - put the windows up” comment got rewound about 5 times. The other-half said she could hear me laughing from up the road (ironically walking the dog).

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I've seen comments about bullying elsewhere, and find it odd. They're obviously (?) playing parts using scripted and choreographed scenes. I get the impression that aside from that, they're genuinely having a good time doing it, which is more than can be said for some recent series.
    I think it's fairly clear as well that the show is mostly scripted, especially the major setups. Maybe the rolling of the car not so much, but maybe that was as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I think it's fairly clear as well that the show is mostly scripted, especially the major setups. Maybe the rolling of the car not so much, but maybe that was as well.....
    I don't know, is it that heavily scripted? Compare this season, where it feels a lot more ad-hoc, to last season where it felt a lot more wooden. Surely it can't just be Monkey's new companions being brilliant actors?

I don't know, is it that heavily scripted? Compare this season, where it feels a lot more ad-hoc, to last season where it felt a lot more wooden. Surely it can't just be Monkey's new companions being brilliant actors?
    Maybe that is why this season has been such a big step up from last season - it's not so obvious what is/isn't scripted.

I disagree really, I thought I was watching the Chuckle brothers on CBBC.

Master
    Great entertainment.

thought last night's was poor and pressed the fast forward on the hearse bit (that seemed to take 40 mins of the programme)

Zara queenie granddaughter was wearing Rose Gold Yachtmaster on rubber. thought that a rather flashy watch for a royal...

Hearse thing was tolerable in the background but felt Harris looked like he was back at school, getting bullied by the big boys, especially after the melon to the head. I don't mind the banter with words which monkey holds his own, but felt it's wearing thin picking on the small guy. The 'celebrities' got the fast forward treatment again this week, that barrel is really being scraped and I'd rather see the Stig laps on tv rather than online, than listen to them waffle. Is there no extra gear, thought that suited Rory, but I guess he's been completely binned?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The old ladies are actresses, one of them was in an episode of Phoneshop a few years back.

I really liked it, as long as it doesn't turn into the inbetweeners with wedgies, Harris is most definitely the briefcase w**ker.

I didn't really notice this at the time but on rewatch Flintoff absolutely nuts Harris, who's laugh is a bit unsettled.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFQQZFmOn0
    Last edited by pete-r; 1st July 2019 at 16:21.

Master
    That headbutt was disgraceful whether scripted or not. I felt it crossed the line and showed Flintoff as an arrogant knob and bully.
    Aside from that the new series has been decent but they should ease off with the laddish bullying approach.
    They should drop the Star... bit too. I’ve yet to hear anybody say they like that part.

Master
    I'll stick with it in the hope that they find their groove, but that was dire. The laddish acting is just painful to watch.

Craftsman
    Like it

It always seemed odd to me that they did it from a base in Clarkson's garden
    Erm, the GT isn’t filmed from Clarkson’s garden. He might live nearby but it is filmed on the Duns Tew Estate.

most recent episode was not as good as the previous, does look like they have a tiny budget this year!!

Paddy and Chris are good, Freddie is still very wooden - would have thought he would have been better with his league of their own work

Master
    I can’t believe they have turned one of the best motoring journalists in the world into a joke. Honestly it’s just embarrassing. The other 2 are dreadful and the whole show doesn’t work on any level. Time to let it die I think.

Guess a few people have mentioned the bullying thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post

Guess a few people have mentioned the bullying thing.
    Suppose it all depends on the pay poke, I could put up with a lot if the moneys right.

I don’t think it is at all, he seems very comfortable with it and it’s the banter you have with your mates

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    That headbutt was disgraceful whether scripted or not. I felt it crossed the line and showed Flintoff as an arrogant knob and bully.
    Aside from that the new series has been decent but they should ease off with the laddish bullying approach.
    They should drop the Star... bit too. I’ve yet to hear anybody say they like that part.
    It was accidental...... left in because it was funny (just like FF banging his head in the hearse!)

I don’t see the bullying at all though, Maybe I’m a bit thick skinned but it seems like genuine banter to me.

Master
    It didn’t seem accidental to me but you may be right. If Harris is okay with things as they are then he knows best I suppose and earlier comments suggest he’s okay with it so no issue.

At the time it thought it was a bit gratuitous. I’m not particularly sensitive to that kind of behaviour, it just seemed pre-meditated.

I’ll still be watching the series as it has been a big improvement over recent efforts.

Journeyman
    I actually think the friendly banter is one of the best bits of the show , that is what blokes who get on together and are happy to dish it out as well as take some stick do , well is is round my neck of the woods anyway. Flintoff adds a nice little slice of unpredictability which was absolutely needed , top gear has been crap for ages but this series has got me watching again . Maybe it’s just the standard of every other show on tv that makes me think this one is decent , who knows.

like Harris, ok with paddy, hate FF, i can watch it again, sums it up for me :-)

Master
    I love the stupid banter at the moment and have always been a fan of Chris for the proper car stuff way before TG.

Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc were certainly not preferable.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The third episode was very amusing this is a nice change as if all but lost faith in it

Master
    I am another converted skeptic - hated the line-up on paper but after watching episode 2 by accident the other night I found myself well and truly back into it.

What's this bullying nonsense? Please tell me that the so-called "Snowflake generation" aren't pissing about with one of the last shows on telly where boys can be boys?? All three of them laugh and mess about together, but every comic turn needs a straight man, and in this case it's Harris.

Just out of curiosity; to those who think Flintoff is wooden, what did you think of Matt LeBlanc? I didn't mind Leblanc on TG but he never ever seemed very natural, it was all very stiff and felt to me like he was terrified to deviate from the script. At least with FF you get a bit of ad-libbing. In fact I dread to think how much of it has to end up on the cutting room floor.

Tonight's episode was rubbish, back to the previous regime's hackneyed and completely improbable (but not supported by a strong script to pull it through) nonsense. Who really cares about the whole Brunei nonsense and reviewing a Rolls-Royce no one who watches TG is likely to buy anyway? They may as well test a Hyundai i10 and tell us how they're not its target audience.

Very very poor. Although I wonder why Monkey couldn't get a visa...

Journeyman
    I enjoyed tonights episode. The mot history on the allegro is interesting, they did well to get it sorted for the trip.

Just watched it.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

“Flying snakes” - brilliant.

And gotta respect Harris’s integrity in the RR review, and the message about The Sultan of Brunei.