closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford vs Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    that said anyone wanting to pick a film apart for factual inaccuracy is probably better off reading instruction manuals or encyclopaedias for entertainment instead of going to the cinema.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    that said anyone wanting to pick a film apart for factual inaccuracy is probably better off reading instruction manuals or encyclopaedias for entertainment instead of going to the cinema.
    Imo that is rather head in the sand for a film that is claiming to represent a historic event.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Imo that is rather head in the sand for a film that is claiming to represent a historic event.

it’s a retelling of a 5 year story over a couple of hours using the media of film. same as Dunkirk is film based on real events with a narrative that is not even close to what actually happened. i’m sure there are measurebators poring over that too and getting their knickers in a twist because of the incorrect cap badge or the wrong shade of green on a Mk VI spitfire that wasn’t in service until 6 months after the actual event.

that’s not head in the sand, thats having an understanding as to why and how films are made.

It's a film made for the masses, not a documentary, and a thoroughly enjoyable film at that.

I've been to Le Mans on a good number of occasions and have a reasonable handle on Ford's race history at the circuit, I couldn't give a jot about the liberal use of artistic license.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    I had been wondering, as the bulk of the racing footage was shot in the States, if the P4 replicas might be something other than Nobles.

They are. See: http://race-car-replicas.com/ford-vs-ferrari-project (although Fran Hall doesn't specifically claim the P4's were his).

*The 1966 P3's (and 1967 P4's) were designated 330P (not 275s).
    More here...race cars in ‘Ford v Ferrari’ aren’t what they seem:

...The filmmakers borrowed modern versions of those vehicles from Irvine-based Shelby Legendary Cars and its parent company, Superformance, the only companies in the world licensed by the legendary race car designer to build and sell new versions of the Ford GT40s and Cobras that made their namesake into a supercar superhero.

Many of the other race vehicles came from Race Car Replicas in Michigan, Johnson said.

Johnson said the RCR cars are very good replicas, but the South African-made SLC continuation cars were exact reproductions, down to such details as period-correct nuts, bolts and welds that wouldn’t be visible even in the closest close-ups filmed during “hero” sequences featuring stars Damon or Bale behind the wheel.

But RCR was able to supply a broader array of vehicles, Johnson said, including vintage Ferraris and Porsches. Additional vehicles came from Sun Valley’s Ghostlight...

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    It's a film made for the masses, not a documentary, and a thoroughly enjoyable film at that.

I've been to Le Mans on a good number of occasions and have a reasonable handle on Ford's race history at the circuit, I couldn't give a jot about the liberal use of artistic license.
    Or as www.autosport.com puts it:

...In the same way that this review won't cut much mustard with Mark Kermode, Le Mans '66 probably doesn't fulfil hardcore motorsport fans and their idea of the perfect racing film. But this Autosport writer isn't a full-time film reviewer in the same way that Mangold isn't competing in club meetings at Snetterton.

So, enter the cinema with a pinch of salt, enjoy the beautiful images on screen and be grateful that the story of Ford versus Ferrari and the career of Ken Miles are getting some deserved high-profile recognition, and opening up motorsport to the mainstream..

Master
    I will not be watching it.
    I imagine the film makers will be devastated by this news...🤪🤪

Or "based on the true story", as even the trailer puts it. See https://youtu.be/I3h9Z89U9ZA?t=77.

Why?
    You like a parody of history?
    I will not be watching it.
    That's your loss. At 2½ hours I expected it to flag in places...IMO it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    That's your loss. At 2½ hours I expected it to flag in places...IMO it doesn't.
    I'd agree - I was really quite surprised to find we were at Le Mans 1966 when they got there - The time seemed to have flown by, most films don't achieve that for me.

There are documentaries on the race, so go watch those (as well, I suspect), but enjoy the film for what it is, a piece of fiction "based on" a true story...

I've followed sportscar racing for 40 years (probably more, but my first race meeting was 40 years ago) and even I didn't know much about Miles, so the film is a great eye-opener.

Even better, the cinema was packed a week (more or less) afte release and I understand is doing really well in the US and UK - So nice to see a studio take a chance on something other than a tacky remake or, yet another, superhero borefest and get rewarded for it!

M

I'd also agree - the 2.5 hours went by very quickly.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

We have been to Le Mans twice for the big race.
    MrsR wants to return for the classic in July 2020 after seeing the film tonight.

The film is about the people and personalities.
    And yes - the mock-up of the old grandstand and circuit roads was excellent.

Fantastic film, highly recommended if anyone is still on the fence about going to see it.

I echo the comments that it was engrossing throughout, even the 1st half where there isn't much racing. Matt Damon and Christian Bale are superb.

Craftsman
    I went to see it, having been to Le Mans 7 times with the boys we thought it would be nostalgic

8-40pm showing last Thursday there was 7 of us and 2 others in the huge cinema at Braintree, that should have told us everything we needed to know

I though it was dull as dishwater, although some of the others thought it was OK, no one was raving that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I saw it with two pals last night, we've all been in to racing forever. We enjoyed it on many levels, it is a good fictionalised account of a great story.. Excellent acting, story telling and evocation of the period. Small spoiler coming up, I wouldn't have put that last scenes in, I think a simple on screen message about what happened would have been just as effective and I'd have left the cinema uplifted by the victory rather than upset. I think, as a father, the fact that his son was present at his death had a particular impact on me.
    Last edited by Jeremy67; 28th November 2019 at 11:01.

Master
    Saw it last week. A good, enjoyable film but as usual history has been massaged to fit a narrative, not something I'm overly bothered by.

Netflix is currently pushing a ford / ferrarri documentary as well as one focusing on Shelby, this is one of the things I really like about Netflix, they have some good motoring and music documentaries. The Koenigsegg one is great as is the one regarding Rush.

Craftsman
    Not particularly bothered if the movie accurately depicted history but was an enjoyable one. Would suggest watching it on Imax/Dolby Atmos cinemas - the sound of those cars were heaven to my ears

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Not particularly bothered if the movie accurately depicted history but was an enjoyable one. Would suggest watching it on Imax/Dolby Atmos cinemas - the sound of those cars were heaven to my ears
    it was dubbed

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I saw it with two pals last night, we've all been in to racing forever. We enjoyed it on many levels, it is a good fictionalised account of a great story.. Excellent acting, story telling and evocation of the period. Small spoiler coming up, I wouldn't have put that last scenes in, I think a simple on screen message about what happened would have been just as effective and I'd have left the cinema uplifted by the victory rather than upset. I think, as a father, the fact that his son was present at his death had a particular impact on me.
    For what it's worth, Peter gave an interview to lemans.org and attended the film's premiere...piclink.

Edit See also this Youtube link...where the director also expounds on the film making process, his aims and objectives etc.
    Last edited by PickleB; 28th November 2019 at 14:29.

Recorded 12/10/97 (not sure if that's US or UK format):