closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I want to build an aircraft hangar in the back garden - PP required?

I want to build an aircraft hangar in the back garden - PP required?

I'm considering erecting a steel aircraft hangar type building in my back garden to house my motorhome and various cars.

Floor space will be around 40x30 feet, access height around 12 feet, apex roof.

It will take up most of my back garden, and is in a normal residential area, with the garden facing on to a road behind a 4' brick wall. The side of the hangar will be 4-5' from the utility room extension on the back of my house.

Will I require planning permission (I think steel buildings are regarded as temporary buildings?).

Guidance from experienced forum members would be appreciated!

Mike Wood

Master
    You need to look at permitted development rules. The issue you will have is the proportion of the space you have; if its "most of the garden" it would not be allowed if anyone objected.
    A friend built exactly what you plan, 9m x 6m and 4m at the ridge. But he was very careful to make it the correct distance from the boundary and measured carefully the volume against available space he was using.
    Even so a neighbour complained and planning came to check, but he was correct. Didn't help neighbourly relations mind.
    That was a steel building too so I don't think you'll get much leniency there.

Details for PD are readily available online. If you are in a conversation area or area of outstanding natural beauty its different, more strict, again.

Master
    If you’re that close to your boundaries then on height alone it would most likely not be permitted development.

Speak to your planning department at the council, they’re generally very helpful (if council cuts haven’t rendered them very short handed) and will guide you down the correct path.

Master
    I genuinely came into this thread wondering whether you were asking if a Patek was required :D

Journeyman
    Hi Mike

Maximum ridge height for permitted development is 4m for a pitched roof but less for a flat roof.
    Area of outbuildings must less than 50% of your garden (other outbuildings need to be taken into account) and 2ms from any boundary. It is a good idea to get a permitted development certificate of lawfullnes (about £70 from memory).
    Lots of free info on the government and local council planning portals.
    We had to go for full planning because we wanted to be closer to a boundary than 2m.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As others have said, it'll be very unlikely that this will go through under PD.
    Local planning officer will be the best form of advice you'll get.
    Good luck with it though, sounds cool!

You might get away with a tent-type thing (like Rubb below) as temporary, but otherwise 99.9% likely PP will be required for the reasons above.

https://www.rubbuk.com/

Master
    Instead of blighting the local landscape and devaluing your own house as well as that of your poor inocent neighbours, why not rent an appropriate building on say an industrial estate where this sort of thing belongs.

As an aside, when my previous wife and I were looking for a house I really wanted to buy a semi detached one with a 250ft garden that backed onto fields. The house was horrible and needed loads of work but the garden contained two beautiful double garages at the bottom along with there large sheds. All were immaculate, were fully insulated and had power. One of the garages had an inspection pit. This fitted in with my plan at the time of starting a business on the side which would locate, buy, lightly renovate and then store a number of Volvo 240 estates and saloons. She wasn't having any of it. Look at the price of these things now, they are considered classics and I would have made a good few bob. The current Mrs V would be up for anything like this but unfortunately that particular ship has sailed. It strikes me that a similar scheme with Mk2/MK2.5 MX5's would work as they can be picked up cheaply at the moment. That wont last.

Sorry to digress.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Instead of blighting the local landscape and devaluing your own house as well as that of your poor inocent neighbours, why not rent an appropriate building on say an industrial estate where this sort of thing belongs.
    This^

Master
    I just thought the watch collection had got out of hand

Have been trying for some time...there is just nothing inside a reasonable radius of home.

MW

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Have been trying for some time...there is just nothing inside a reasonable radius of home.

MW
    There is always something available, try looking harder and if you are really stuck, employ an agent to seek something out for you.

What you are doing is, to quote Prince Charles, building a carbuncle and you will become as popular as a dose of the clap in a nunnery.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have to say I agree with this, although I might have worded it slightly less harshly myself.

I would not want to be your next-door neighbour if you were to construct such a thing, whether it requires planning consent or not.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes definitely. If you build it and some neighbours object you might be on a sticky wicket with local planning. Also. I’m sure there’s some ruling that your original garden area can only be reduced in size by a certain amount.
    Check it out before you build it

I'm considering erecting a steel aircraft hangar type building in my back garden to house my motorhome and various cars.

It will take up most of my back garden, and is in a normal residential area, with the garden facing on to a road behind a 4' brick wall. The side of the hangar will be 4-5' from the utility room extension on the back of my house.

Will I require planning permission (I think steel buildings are regarded as temporary buildings?).

Mike Wood

Mike Wood
    This link explains all you need to know - hope it’s of some help. You may have to reduce the size and your good to go!

https://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/...me_garages.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek optional I would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Glad you don't live next to me!

Sell a few watches and upgrade to a bigger house with land and outbuildings, simples!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lol , first world problems!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For once Mr P, we agree. OP, simply look wider afield and perhaps nearby industrial units. Who wants to live next door to a hangar - boot on other foot? Otherwise, you sound like the perfect neighbour from hell. Or, stop scrimping, and buy a bigger property with land to suit.
    Last edited by Skyman; 4th June 2019 at 19:12.

You are John Travolta and I claim my £5.00
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

You need one of these:

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Patek optional I would say.
    G-Shock essential though, for when you're timing how long it takes to drink a cup of tea while watching the builders at work.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    As an aside, when my previous wife and I were looking for a house I really wanted to buy a semi detached one with a 250ft garden that backed onto fields. The house was horrible and needed loads of work but the garden contained two beautiful double garages at the bottom along with there large sheds. All were immaculate, were fully insulated and had power. One of the garages had an inspection pit. This fitted in with my plan at the time of starting a business on the side which would locate, buy, lightly renovate and then store a number of Volvo 240 estates and saloons. She wasn't having any of it. Look at the price of these things now, they are considered classics and I would have made a good few bob. The current Mrs V would be up for anything like this but unfortunately that particular ship has sailed. It strikes me that a similar scheme with Mk2/MK2.5 MX5's would work as they can be picked up cheaply at the moment. That wont last.

Sorry to digress.
    I like your thought process - who needs a house anyway other than to sleep in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mike, I assume you've considered a sub-terrainian Batman style cave?

Master
    I always read this thread as “I want to build an aircraft carrier in the back garden”

I then get images on Donald Trump in robes doing a Noah on his golf course with a hastily assembled Nimitz class on the fairway behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Mike, I assume you've considered a sub-terrainian Batman style cave?
    I'm a mile from the beach, and water table is less than 3 feet. None of my vehicles are amphibious!

;-)

In that case you need to build your hangar on stilts!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.