closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Timegrapher reading help

Master

Timegrapher reading help

I got myself a timegrapher recently to try and better regulate my SKX. I managed to regulate the 7s26 to around +3s a day (was +30s initially so great!). Feeling confident, I upgraded the 7s26 to a used 6r15 off a forum elsewhere thinking I can get accuracy even better, and with hacking and winding.

However I'm finding it pretty tricky to regulate as each position is varying by so much. The best error can jump from 0.0s to over 2 seconds, and the dots can be all over the place for certain positions. I'm wondering if the movement itself is messed up! The person who sold it to me said he had accuracy of within 5s a day but wasn't used for a few months, and never abused. On my wrist, I'm getting around +8-12s a day so not too bad, but was expecting to regulate it to get better accuracy.

Can someone take a look at the readings and give me an clue what might be going on?

Set to 53deg lift angle, and 21600 bph.

Pic order:
    12 up
    6 up
    Face down
    Face up

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

I am no expert, but it looks like movement service is needed - low amplitude in general and high beat error in some positions.

Master
    Yep - that's what I feared. Not sure if I should just get a brand new movement instead off cousins for £120.

Definitely a service required, one of the pallets stones could be dirty or chipped.

Craftsman
    You can go for an NH36 which will give you hacking and hand winding much cheaper at £30 :-) if youve already done the stem/crown modification the 6R15 one will pop straight in

*EDIT

Just remembered the 36 is the day/date so the 6r15 stem might not be a straight swap considering its date only?

I was also getting those kind of numbers out of a 6R15, the low amplitude and the terrible positional variance, I popped a new NH35 in and regulated it to a few seconds a day - this was a date only watch
    Last edited by ejtrent; 3rd June 2019 at 21:07.

With such a massive difference in beat error I'd first look at the hairspring regulation pins. My guess is you'll probably find them too close and off centre to the hairspring. Industry standard for beat error for a new movement is a maximum variance of no more than 0.5, so your 3.3 reading is pretty bad. Have a look at the site below for some pics and a quick explanation.

https://www.awci.com/watchmaking-excellen/hairsprings/

Regardless of the above the amps are low too so a service is definitely needed I'd say. Again the industry minimum is 250° at zero hour or maximum wind, for a new movement. Ideally it should be around 270° to 300°.

HTH,
    Gary

Master
    Yea I'm thinking just popping in a NH36 instead, and reuse the day wheel off the 7s26.

The stem should work fine for day date mechanisms. The only difference with the day wheel is an extra cog, and that only activates when rotated the opposite direction to setting the date. Checking out the 6r15 mechanism is really fascinating to me! You can help but appreciate the art of watchmaking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    With such a massive difference in beat error I'd first look at the hairspring regulation pins. My guess is you'll probably find them too close and off centre to the hairspring. Industry standard for beat error for a new movement is a maximum variance of no more than 0.5, so your 3.3 reading is pretty bad. Have a look at the site below for some pics and a quick explanation.

https://www.awci.com/watchmaking-excellen/hairsprings/

Regardless of the above the amps are low too so a service is definitely needed I'd say. Again the industry minimum is 250° at zero hour or maximum wind, for a new movement. Ideally it should be around 270° to 300°.

HTH,
    Gary
    Thanks Gary, very informative post and url! My 6r15 is not new, but I'll take a look at the pins carefully and see if that's possibly causing the issue.

The beat error is 0s for some positions and erratic for others which is stumping me. Amplitude I don't think there's anything I can adjust to fix that, but I do get over 250, but again only in certain positions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Yea I'm thinking just popping in a NH36 instead, and reuse the day wheel off the 7s26.

The stem should work fine for day date mechanisms. The only difference with the day wheel is an extra cog, and that only activates when rotated the opposite direction to setting the date. Checking out the 6r15 mechanism is really fascinating to me! You can help but appreciate the art of watchmaking.

Great! Yeah definitely go for the 36, dont think youd see really any improvement with 4 times the cost in a 6r15