closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Parnis

Parnis

Anyone any experience of them? I want to buy a dress watch, but I won’t wear it that often so don’t want to spend much. They do a model they call the President

Now obviously this is a straight up Datejust homage, with sizing being 1:1. But at 36mm it ticks the box of what I’m looking for. It’s £140 or thereabouts, has a Miyota automatic movement, sapphire crystal and a bracelet with solid end links and screwed links, and a 2.5x magnification cyclops. The one review I’ve been able to find says it’s a solid and well made watch.

Anyone any experience? I know they do various Sub, GMT homages, I’ve no interest in those, but I’m kind of tempted to have a look at one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The one Parnis I had, a Portuguese-alike, had good finish for the money, I'd buy another.

Looks more of a date just knock off, isnt the president the day date?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Looks more of a date just knock off, isnt the president the day date?
    Yeah, think that was the nickname for the day date. This is a Datejust imitation.

I've had a couple of £60 autos.
    The main criticism with the Portugese and Sub clones were the noisy rotor on the DG Chinese movements.
    Also - the leather straps were terrible, a bracelet is the best option if there is a choice.

The watches are great value at £60. There is nothing wrong with the hardware.
    £140 is in the right ball park to have one fitted with the better quality movement.

Grand Master
    i'm wearing a sterile dial radiomir homage now having just got in from the pub.
    ok for the price (£65) but having decided i really like the style i'm looking for a step up, maybe a prs-20. in my experience having owned a few different Parnis quality is better then you would maybe expect but qc can be hit and miss, buy from a regular seller if possible and i tend to find the seagull 2892 clone versions better than the miyota powered versions. also go for sapphire as the mineral glass they use seems very scratch prone.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman
    I have one for a work beater,
    Got to say it is way better finished than I expected and is pretty accurate as well, The Chinese are getting the hang of this manufacturing lark!!

Scottie

Blog Entries
    This may be a similar thing to consider -

$159 with DG movement

Then again this Rotary may be of better QC than both for around £100

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 3rd June 2019 at 11:10.

The biggest issue quality wise is the screwed links. Only one or two work as they as supposed to. The rest of the threads are stripped or useless, IME.

Master
    Given I'm struggling to track down a real one, this is an option:

https://parnis.org/products/gauss-05

So I'm also interested to hear experiences of the brand.

EDIT: 20% off if you buy 2+. Let me know if you plan to buy, davidj54!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Given I'm struggling to track down a real one, this is an option:

https://parnis.org/products/gauss-05

EDIT: 20% off if you buy 2+. Let me know if you plan to buy, davidj54!
    This video may assist

https://youtu.be/_PyGrzF4e-8

Craftsman
    Dom at Hackett watches has a white milgauss in stock .

As for the Parnis , the bracelet will be poor, the movement is a miyota with a fairly noisy action but they are great value for money

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Dom at Hackett watches has a white milgauss in stock .
    Thanks! I think I maybe did see that one on C24? I'll drop him a line and ask about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    As for the Parnis , the bracelet will be poor, the movement is a miyota with a fairly noisy action but they are great value for money
    That may be a plan B (along with a white dial Air King) if Milgauss prices have also drifted North!
    Last edited by David_D; 3rd June 2019 at 17:11. Reason: typo

From what I recall, Parnis supplies the component parts to different sellers who assemble the watches themselves, hence the variable QC above and beyond the base manufacturing. You can be lucky and get a 'good one' or not.

Does that Rotary have the worst cyclops ever? It makes Steinhart's look acceptable!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    This video may assist

https://youtu.be/_PyGrzF4e-8
    Thanks - I’ll have a look later. The title says $60 and that was only last November! Maybe I should wait for the sales!
    Last edited by David_D; 3rd June 2019 at 21:29.

Look pretty incredible for the money, applied indices, sunburst dial, sapphire crystal, Japanese movement. If the bracelet is no good, stick it on a strap, but it looks the part.

Apprentice
    What kind of Aids is this

Quote Originally Posted by shahzehb View Post
    What kind of Aids is this
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Parnis are a mushroom brand. They sell movements, dials and cases wholesale to sellers who assemble and sell on. Quality is somewhat dependent on the skill of the assembler.
    I have one from Manbushijie. It's a good watch for the money. As has been said, the rotor is noisy and the leather strap is of the lowest possible quality. Put a new strap on and it's a nice watch for the money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    From what I recall, Parnis supplies the component parts to different sellers who assemble the watches themselves, hence the variable QC above and beyond the base manufacturing. You can be lucky and get a 'good one' or not.

Does that Rotary have the worst cyclops ever? It makes Steinhart's look acceptable!
    Yes a meagre magnification, almost as bad as Citizens which is virtually non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Parnis are a mushroom brand. They sell movements, dials and cases wholesale to sellers who assemble and sell on. Quality is somewhat dependent on the skill of the assembler.
    I have one from Manbushijie. It's a good watch for the money. As has been said, the rotor is noisy and the leather strap is of the lowest possible quality. Put a new strap on and it's a nice watch for the money.
    Interesting. So if you buy direct from the Parnis website, who are you buying from?

Hi

I've owned five Parnis over the years and like some have already said the QC can be hit and miss, problems included the crown guard coming off my Panerai homage and the rotor stopping altogether on my Portuguese. That said they're great value, well finished and if the QC is good they will last and last.

Have you thought about the Bagelsport datejust. I owned one briefly and it was a great little watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Interesting. So if you buy direct from the Parnis website, who are you buying from?
    I was going to ask that exact same question! And if not buying direct, any pointers as to a good maker/retailer?

Apprentice

Parnis

How long does the movement last on these things, are they reliable?