timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't fit shoulderless bars to watches without drilled lugs

I use side cutters to chop them out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Natos were meant to be used with solid (or welded) bars. They are not meant to be used with stepped spring bars. People have been taking risks and getting away with it... but that doesn't make it right.
    I hadn’t given it much thought,but I just checked my 82 it’s shoulder less the NATO slides through without snagging.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Natos were meant to be used with solid (or welded) bars. They are not meant to be used with stepped spring bars. People have been taking risks and getting away with it... but that doesn't make it right.
    It makes your blood boil 🥵

Master
    Blimey - looks bad - but as others have said all he needed to do was get his snippers out!?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Are you on crack?
    Loool great response

Quote Originally Posted by shahzehb View Post
    Loool great response
    Cool post. Sick. Sooooo niceeee. Lol. Looks great ... etc., etc., ad infinitum

Master

People saying about NATO’s really needing shoulderless... ok but to be honest the worst straps on shouldered bars are grippy rubber straps. You can easily remove straps (bars) on a grippy rubber strap fitted to a watch just by grabbing the strap near the bar and quickly pulling one way, then the other with a twist. It’ll pop the strap off quiet easily with something like a supple tropic style. NATO’s are relatively safe as the strap doesn’t grip the bar during twisting and pulling on the wrist. Don’t see why a signgle shoulder couldn’t be used if worried.

I prefer single flange bars in this case (grippy strap and no holes). Not as easy to remove but I’ll use a scraper razor blade, slide it down and pop the bar out. I wouldn’t recommend it for some people on here though (having seen on SC over the years the case damage the ham fisted manage to inflict) you’d think some people remove straps at arms length with a chainsaw!

TIL lots of potential pickpocket techniques. Makes me concerned about all my normal springbars.

I've never had a springbar pop out, but I have had a couple of "near misses" with shoulderless (sorry "flangeless" - that sounds disgusting for some reason) bars having got swapped onto the wrong watch via a strap exchange (i.e., when the strap grips the bar so tightly it's easiest to leave it there). Or worn flanges when on a SEL bracelet. That one is scarier. I have no idea if it's even recoverable if the flange wears out completely. The worst thing is that once the structural integrity of the flange is compromised, the springbar tool is more likely to continue scraping away more material without getting a proper grip. This one happened a few weeks ago and I'm still having flashbacks!

Craftsman
    I have seen shoulder less bars fitted to a ceramic sub. So no way to push them through and not enough space or clearance between the bracelet and case to easily sort.
    I got them out with dental floss, diamond paste and a lot of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    I have seen shoulder less bars fitted to a ceramic sub. So no way to push them through and not enough space or clearance between the bracelet and case to easily sort.
    I got them out with dental floss, diamond paste and a lot of patience.
    Diamond paste on the floss to gradually cut through the bar? That must've taken a good while!

No room for cutters/snips?

Never seen the lugs falling of a watch.. it seems there's always a first time for everything.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Diamond paste on the floss to gradually cut through the bar? That must've taken a good while!

No room for cutters/snips?
    The bracelet fit on new Rolex is very tight, so no room for anything.