closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    How long ago did you box and who for??

I can still remember my medical card number, 26222. In those days at every show there was a boxer who tried imitating Ali hahaha

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    How to feel old- I was boxing 45 years ago for too many years for Dunoon ABC. We had bouts most weeks as the Americans were based in the Holy Loch then and used to send their guys. Trouble was it was mostly Mexicans in my weight and they were as hard as nails. At least I never had to fight some of the heavyweight guys as our biggest guy who fought for Scotland was only just under 15 stone and some of the Americans were 18st plus. Huge guys.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    How to feel old- I was boxing 45 years ago for too many years for Dunoon ABC. We had bouts most weeks as the Americans were based in the Holy Loch then and used to send their guys. Trouble was it was mostly Mexicans in my weight and they were as hard as nails. At least I never had to fight some of the heavyweight guys as our biggest guy who fought for Scotland was only just under 15 stone and some of the Americans were 18st plus. Huge guys.
    I was boxing 40+ years ago too.

I had 37 fights (all at senior) went to lots of my mates fights and as you'll remember turned up for a fight, weighed in, had your medical, then you find out your opponent hasn't turned up!!! On all those shows i only ever saw one heavyweight-ish fight between a light heavy and a heavy and the light heavy won.

I started coaching in 2011 and the head coach who's now a close friend said 'all the matchmaking is done on line now, there are no, no shows anymore'

Guess what, there still is.

If 58 is your birth year then we have that in common too.

Master
    Yep 58

42 bouts, about a quarter at junior, rest at senior over 9 years. Also some whilst in the Navy but not counted on record. Gave up when I was getting hit too often, especially head shots after a bad concussion. Think I became too worried about getting hit and that was the end of that. As I said previously I’ll never criticise anyone who gets in the ring no matter how crap they are.
    Forgot to say my biggest memory was the smell of the changing rooms - sweat and fear.

I had 37 fights (all at senior) went to lots of my mates fights and as you'll remember turned up for a fight, weighed in, had your medical, then you find out your opponent hasn't turned up!!! On all those shows i only ever saw one heavyweight-ish fight between a light heavy and a heavy and the light heavy won.

I started coaching in 2011 and the head coach who's now a close friend said 'all the matchmaking is done on line now, there are no, no shows anymore'

Last edited by alas58; 3rd June 2019 at 10:16.

Master
    Yep 58

42 bouts, about a quarter at junior, rest at senior over 9 years. Also some whilst in the Navy but not counted on record. Gave up when I was getting hit too often, especially head shots after a bad concussion. Think I became too worried about getting hit and that was the end of that. As I said previously I’ll never criticise anyone who gets in the ring no matter how crap they are.
    Forgot to say my biggest memory was the smell of the changing rooms - sweat and fear.
    I agree with you on the criticism thing, it's odd or maybe not that all the mouthing off about a chinny fighter or someone who quit comes from people who've never been in the ring.

The clubs i boxed at had that smell, the first one was over a pig sty. The second one where i all my fights from had a tiny little ring with blood on the floor and yes, that smell.

The one where i coached had canvas on the floor and was clean.

One thing that's better these days is no smoking, remember that fug that hung over the ring??

I boxed in Barrow one night and Wee Walter McGowan was giving out the trophies but i had concussion and don't remember him.
    I joined Facebook around the time i started coaching and got in touch with the lad i boxed that night, i was made up.

Master

Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr

Trying to breathe in heavy with all that smoke was almost as hard as the fights.
    Best thing that ever happened was the banning of smoking.
    Sadly that came in long after I finished.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Trying to breathe in heavy with all that smoke was almost as hard as the fights.
    Best thing that ever happened was the banning of smoking.
    Sadly that came in long after I finished.
    Most of my fights were in little working mens/social/labour clubs which meant a cracking atmosphere but the boxers couldn't breath

Craftsman

Boxed myself for Kendal Lads Club, late starter at 23 so didn't come natural at first but got there in the end. Boxed light heavyweight, always lots of miss matching going on. Many a time gave a stone away as there might be 15 bouts on paper but only a handfull on the night as people wouldn't/couldn't turn up leaving the host club no choice to make bouts for the paying dinnershow guests. Didn't bother me too much but I've seen kids well sickened off never to return to boxing again, the doctors were no better either and smoke - horrendous at times. Guessing/hoping its all turned out for the better these days

60 birth year for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Boxed myself for Kendal Lads Club, late starter at 23 so didn't come natural at first but got there in the end. Boxed light heavyweight, always lots of miss matching going on. Many a time gave a stone away as there might be 15 bouts on paper but only a handfull on the night as people wouldn't/couldn't turn up leaving the host club no choice to make bouts for the paying dinnershow guests. Didn't bother me too much but I've seen kids well sickened off never to return to boxing again, the doctors were no better either and smoke - horrendous at times. Guessing/hoping its all turned out for the better these days

60 birth year for me
    My mate boxed a lad from Kendal named Blamire.
    When i boxed one of the matchmakers was a copper from East Lancashire and in my first fight i weighed 10-3 but he put me down at 10-6 and i found out after my opponent weighed 10-9 he put him down at 10-6.........3 years later and with a lot more experience i weighed in at 10-6 and i hung about to watch this bloke weigh my opponent, who as you said they'd scratched round and found 12 stone!!!
    I said 'fuck off'

As you say, it went on all the time.i fought lads who'd had 3 times more fights but my trainer was just as guilty the rum bugger. He overmatched his own sons too.

Did you ever box in Lancaster and Blackpool??

Craftsman
    My mate boxed him about 5 or 6 times, very well matched, my mate won all of them bar the last.

I boxed in the Imperial hotel and the Queens and once in Morecambe, twice in Southport among others.
    I got watches in Blackpool both times instead of trophies and they weren't Omegas hahaha
    Did you ever box at the Saxon Inn??

Imperial, that was the name, no to Saxon

Went to Lads Club late last year, first time walking through the door from 35 age (that was the limit in my day) Same trainer there and he had me spar with the young lads, 10 rounds and I was completely paggered. Good fun though and a whole lot better managed these days, there were even girls there which was great to see. No snidely jokes/comments just good vibes and respect all round

Master
    Imperial, that was the name, no to Saxon

Went to Lads Club late last year, first time walking through the door from 35 age (that was the limit in my day) Same trainer there and he had me spar with the young lads, 10 rounds and I was completely paggered. Good fun though and a whole lot better managed these days, there were even girls there which was great to see. No snidely jokes/comments just good vibes and respect all round
    On one of the coaching courses i went on there were 3 women on it and all 3 had boxed for England. Stacey Copeland from Manchester, Lisa Whitehead from Preston and a girl from Bury.

I couldn't believe it when i first went to shows as a coach as some who boxed back in the day are still involved.

Stacey Copelands dad was an ABA champ when i boxed and I'd boxed Lisa Whiteheads coach.

Lots more clubs have mixed fitness evenings and people who just want to get fit. Back in the 60's/70's/80's it was all about competing.

Happy days eh?? It's great chatting to other ex boxers.

Ps. If you sparred 10 rounds you must be in OK nick. Well done.

Craftsman
    On one of the coaching courses i went on there were 3 women on it and all 3 had boxed for England. Stacey Copeland from Manchester, Lisa Whitehead from Preston and a girl from Bury.

I couldn't believe it when i first went to shows as a coach as some who boxed back in the day are still involved.

Stacey Copelands dad was an ABA champ when i boxed and I'd boxed Lisa Whiteheads coach.

Lots more clubs have mixed fitness evenings and people who just want to get fit. Back in the 60's/70's/80's it was all about competing.

Happy days eh?? It's great chatting to other ex boxers.

Ps. If you sparred 10 rounds you must be in OK nick. Well done.

The sport has changed and for the better I think albeit this ducking and diving of opponents drives me nuts. Gone are the days of Hagler, Duran, Hearns, Conteh etc and of course the great heavies and many more plus 15 ROUNDS, awesome days

I try keeping fit but getting harder, had both knees done recently so running has brought a huge smile back onto the face

Anyway apologies for derailing the thread

Master
    No problem. I've PM's re knees

Master
    Knees a common problem as both mine gone from boxing.
    Had forgotten about the great smoky atmospheres as we fought one night in the Queens Hall for a Sporting dinner and most were smoking cigars. Trainer advised us to move as little as possible and ‘pretty boy’ it for 2 rounds and hopefully the other guy would be knackered. Then go for it in the 3rd.
    Fine strategy if you could cover and tie up well. Was a great night though.

Master
    The sport has changed and for the better I think albeit this ducking and diving of opponents drives me nuts. Gone are the days of Hagler, Duran, Hearns, Conteh etc and of course the great heavies and many more plus 15 ROUNDS, awesome days
    Conteh could have been a real great if he didn’t have brittle hands. Remember watching him in one fight using only one hand as the other was broken. Loved the middleweights at that time but my favourite was Julio Cesar Chavez world champion at super featherweight, lightweight and light welterweight. Had a run of 87 straight victories and only went wrong when Don King got a hold of him. Fought everyone, dodged no-one and had most title defenses won, plus second only to Joe Louis with titles defended and won by knockout.
    Great memories and good to know others on here loved the sport as much as me.

Master
    I boxed on our own show one night and was going to a party afterwards with my then girl friend.
    No way was i going to get banged up so i ran and jabbed.
    I won but i stunk. As i was getting out of the ring, the second said "you were awful" he was right.

Master
    Conteh could have been a real great if he didn’t have brittle hands. Remember watching him in one fight using only one hand as the other was broken. Loved the middleweights at that time but my favourite was Julio Cesar Chavez world champion at super featherweight, lightweight and light welterweight. Had a run of 87 straight victories and only went wrong when Don King got a hold of him. Fought everyone, dodged no-one and had most title defenses won, plus second only to Joe Louis with titles defended and won by knockout.
    Great memories and good to know others on here loved the sport as much as me.
    Before Contehs right hand went i saw him fight against a fighter named Preacher Lewis.
    It was before he won the world title. He took Lewis out with a peach of a right hand
    He did the same thing a couple of years later with a Guinea Roger but he hadn't thrown the right hand all night, then wham game over.
    He found fought most of his title fights one handed. He had a real disciplinarian in George Francis who whipped him into shape

Full fight on Sky YouTube
    https://youtu.be/sW5gcxiLUjg

Master
    Before Contehs right hand went i saw him fight against a fighter named Preacher Lewis.
    It was before he won the world title. He took Lewis out with a peach of a right hand
    He did the same thing a couple of years later with a Guinea Roger but he hadn't thrown the right hand all night, then wham game over.
    He found fought most of his title fights one handed. He had a real disciplinarian in George Francis who whipped him into shape

John Contehs hand was smashed to pieces with a hammer by some cronies on behalf of Robbie Corbett.

Conteh was sniffing round his daughter and he didn't take to kindly to it.

True story.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    John Contehs hand was smashed to pieces with a hammer by some cronies on behalf of Robbie Corbett.

True story.
    I heard that at the time when i was boxing, how true it was, who knows??

John Contehs hand was smashed to pieces with a hammer by some cronies on behalf of Ronnie Corbett.

True story.

Master
    I heard that at the time when i was boxing, how true it was, who knows??

It's common knowledge in Liverpool.

His brother still owns and runs a couple of bars in town.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Master
    It's common knowledge in Liverpool.

His brother still owns and runs a couple of bars in town.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it was Scousers who told me. I boxed in Liverpool a few times and went sparring at different clubs.
    I used to get all my kit from Liverpool, Kensington sports. In fact I've still a pair of trunks and a robe, that'll both be over 40 years old.

Craftsman
    Ok lets swap our boxing credentials, you first?

No i didn't say whoever punches hardest wins.
    What I'm saying is neither is anything special and neither it seems is Joshua, sadly.

Sorry still can’t get over this ‘ok let’s swap boxing credentials’. Comment!

Amazing.... 😂

Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Andy Ruiz has got a Watneys Red Barrel and bingo wings.
    One punch can take anyone out.
    I remind people of the boxer named Butterbean...