closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dunhill rollagas lighters

Craftsman

Dunhill rollagas lighters

Hi anyone the forum know much about these lighters? Better to buy a vintage one over a new one?

Sorry I cannot really help with your specific question. However after over 40 years as a smoker (now ex) and having a number of Dunhill lighters, I would strongly recommend you look at DuPont range. Better in every way IMHO.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I liked them so much I still have a couple kicking around decades after i stopped smoking. They are not hard to service, but will need some TLC if they've been standing. I'd look for a lightly used second hand one and a service kit.

If you buy vintage, you can take it to Dunhill who will send it back to the manufacturer in Switzerland for a major overhaul - including all new innards - it'll come back working to perfection. Last time I used this service it was a fixed price of around eighty quid.

Interesting. I think I have one of these (DuPont Gatsby?) sitting in one of the 'men’s drawers', nearly fell off the chair after a quick search brought up eBay prices. I’m sure mine cost nowhere near that, however I like to look after my stuff so will be looking to service/refurbishe mine, if I can find it.
    Last edited by VDG; 2nd June 2019 at 02:04.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I’ve used a Ronson Premier for decades now and they are ultra reliable.

It helps that the service agent is in Coventry and charges less than £30 for a full refurb!

Hi
    I brought a Dunhill Rollagas lighter off this forum about 4 years ago now, it was a 1992 model and cost if i remember £120 ! although i am not a big smoker i always liked them and decided to snap one up always been reliable i have had it serviced by a guy recommended by this forum , Alan Beardow
    thebeardows@msn.com very good and quick service cost £30 and he can also replate them if the surface is worn , i prefer the older models just seem to have a nice used look

Cheers

Wayne

Craftsman
    Thanks Wayne I ll message that guy for sure if I pick a used one up.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Hi
    I brought a Dunhill Rollagas lighter off this forum about 4 years ago now, it was a 1992 model and cost if i remember £120 ! although i am not a big smoker i always liked them and decided to snap one up always been reliable i have had it serviced by a guy recommended by this forum , Alan Beardow
    thebeardows@msn.com very good and quick service cost £30 and he can also replate them if the surface is worn , i prefer the older models just seem to have a nice used look

Cheers

Wayne

I dont get much opportunity to show off my other collection so here goes . Hopefully will give you some ideas for a rollergas[IMG] [/IMG]

This is just a small selection I have Cartier, St duponts and a few others. They are cheaper to collect than watches!

As below i can recommend Alan at the beardows, hes serviced most of these in the pics and I can also recommend Max for St Duponts hes on ebay, you can do the service yourself its not too hard and Alan will sell you a kit and any parts that you may need.

I will say if you are buying a old lighter fill it with gas but dont LIGHT IT !!!!, get a small bowl of tap water and put it underwater , if its leaking you will see bubbles this will stop you from a lighter blowing up and burning your hands!!!

If you do buy a vintage non serviced and decide to do the seals yourself and find your gas wont last more than a couple of days , its either a slightly loose o ring OR your needle valve will need a service. Alan will take care of all this but you will need to send him the lighter.

Please update with any pics if you get one, Im always interested to see other designs, theres bloody hundreds of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post

...Im always interested to see other designs, theres bloody hundreds of them.

Here's mine. Bought new at Mappin & Webb Birmingham around 1980, serviced by Dunhill a couple of years ago. Today only used for lighting the weekend Romeo y Julieta or Monte Cristo.

Another piccie I'm quite proud of

Last edited by SimonK; 2nd June 2019 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Here's mine. Bought new at Mappin & Webb Birmingham around 1980, serviced by Dunhill a couple of years ago. Today only used for lighting the weekend Romeo y Julieta or Monte Cristo.

Another piccie I'm quite proud of

Good choice. I also enjoy a weekend cigar and have a Rollagas lighter.

There is a whole thread on Dunhill lighters repair somewhere on here..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Have 2 ligne 2 St Dupont, even if you don't smoke they are a lovely thing to hold in the hand, the lid opening and strike action is so nice. Dunhill's excellent too of course.

Craftsman
    I dont get much opportunity to show off my other collection so here goes . Hopefully will give you some ideas for a rollergas[IMG] [/IMG]

This is just a small selection I have Cartier, St duponts and a few others. They are cheaper to collect than watches!

As below i can recommend Alan at the beardows, hes serviced most of these in the pics and I can also recommend Max for St Duponts hes on ebay, you can do the service yourself its not too hard and Alan will sell you a kit and any parts that you may need.

I will say if you are buying a old lighter fill it with gas but dont LIGHT IT !!!!, get a small bowl of tap water and put it underwater , if its leaking you will see bubbles this will stop you from a lighter blowing up and burning your hands!!!

If you do buy a vintage non serviced and decide to do the seals yourself and find your gas wont last more than a couple of days , its either a slightly loose o ring OR your needle valve will need a service. Alan will take care of all this but you will need to send him the lighter.

Please update with any pics if you get one, Im always interested to see other designs, theres bloody hundreds of them.
    Wow that’s a amazing collection! How do you rate the new current models?

The first picture is of a ltd edition ,map of the West end etched into Palladian . Shows the street where Dunhill is based
    Its the only new rollergas I have. To be honest the older ones feel better to use and in the hand. The roller for striking the flint is smoother , the general view from other collectors seem to be that the newer model's are not as good .
    I would still buy a newer lighter but only a ltd edition. There is a model that I'm after which is the Dunhill Gmt never seen one in the flesh, only in pics on the net.

Craftsman

Nice collection.
    I have the one in the centre of your fourth picture (a rough "hatched" effect) although mine has a square top, yours looks rounded. I had a silver one at one point but must have misplaced it. My dad has one also.
    I was wondering if they have names or are they just referred to as serial numbers?