closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Durban tips?

Durban tips?

The Missus is running in the Comrades Marathon (56 miles) on the 9/6. I arrive on the 7/6 and we are booked into a centrally based hotel until the 11/6.

Depending on how her recovery goes (that is complicated but not something I will go into) we may move on and travel around a bit on the 11/6 or just stay in Durban until the 16/6, when we fly home.

We plan to swim with Sharks in the Aliwal shoal and visit the Drakensberg Mountains while in Durban.

Any tips, recommendations, dos or don’ts?

Cheers

Matt

Master
    Matt
    All I can say is be safe do not wear a fancy watch keep mobile devices in pockets do not go walking in the city centre.
    Without friends you are a target. Especially if they hear an accent.
    Just be vigilant that’s all.

Things to do around Durban? How about...www.skydivedurban.co.za?

Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    Matt
    All I can say is be safe do not wear a fancy watch keep mobile devices in pockets do not go walking in the city centre.
    Without friends you are a target. Especially if they hear an accent.
    Just be vigilant that’s all.
    Cheers Horologos. We definitely won’t be wearing nice watches etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Things to do around Durban? How about...www.skydivedurban.co.za?
    Ha ha. Missus is scared of heights. She even froze up when we were running across the Golden Gate Bridge!

Thanks anyway Pickle.

Jeesh! The missus has been told by the concierge at the Hilton that she should be back in the hotel by 4 and to get taxis after that.

Anyone have any other trip advice? Hopefully something positive 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Jeesh! The missus has been told by the concierge at the Hilton that she should be back in the hotel by 4 and to get taxis after that.

Anyone have any other trip advice? Hopefully something positive 
    Sorry that I cannot oblige you with the latter. However, the concierge seems to be right...see FCO link for: "Be particularly vigilant in Durban’s city centre and beachfront area."

Master
    Durban is a crime ridden dump and possibly the second worst place I have ever visited. The wife and I were there for 7 nights and we wittnessed two robberies (necklace ripped off womens necks by a young kid running at great speed and disappearing within a few seconds) and we were stopped by security and the police a few times advising us to not to wear any watches or jewellry on the streets.

If you hire a car make sure the insurance is fully comp because if you don't like the ideal of paying a thug with a pick axe handle a couple of quid to "protect" your car, you run a high risk of it getting keyed.

To be honest, there is nothing positive about this bloody awful place.

Best to travel 20 miles outside to somewhere to eat or eat in the hotel.

Unfortunately you have chosen a right khazi to stay at.
    Last edited by Mick P; 5th June 2019 at 12:13.

There is nothing on this earth that would make me want to go to Durban.

Thanks for the input, it’s much appreciated. It’s the impression I got when I originally checked the FCO and had some other anecdotal evidence.

We are in Durban because that’s where the race starts. I think we will stay there on Monday night, to allow for some recovery time. Then we will move on to Umhlanga.

I will update the thread when I get back. I find this sort of stuff so useful when searching the forum.

Thanks for the input, it’s much appreciated. It’s the impression I got when I originally checked the FCO and had some other anecdotal evidence.

We are in Durban because that’s where the race starts. I think we will stay there on Monday night, to allow for some recovery time. Then we will move on to Umhlanga.

I will update the thread when I get back. I find this sort of stuff so useful when searching the forum.
    Wouldn’t advise staying in Durban central for too long. Move up the coast to Umhlanga (10 minutes) if you can and if you are staying in Durban as mentioned before be very vigilant and don’t show any wealth or walk about at night, especially near the beach front.

Any dramas have a business partner who lives there (ex Rhodesian) should you need any help. He loves Africa but even he is emigrating back to the UK this summer!
    Last edited by Chinnock; 6th June 2019 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Wouldn’t advise staying in Durban central for too long. Move up the coast to Umhlanga (10 minutes) if you can and if you are staying in Durban as mentioned before be very vigilant and don’t show any wealth or walk about at night, especially near the beach front.

Any dramas have a business partner who lives there (ex Rhodesian) should you need any help. He loves Africa but even he is emigrating back to the UK this summer!
    Thanks for the offer Chinnock, it’s very kind of you.

We will be more or less on lockdown until we move up to Umhlanga.

A friend of mine does some work for a few ex-pats over here. He was telling me that they all left because of the violent crime. There were a couple of real horror stories that he relayed to me!

Blog Entries
    I can remember when Durban was a lovely city, sadly it is now a lawless cess-pit, much like a lot of South Africa nowadays. My daughter and her husband were held up and robbed at gunpoint whilst on holiday in Cape Town a couple of years ago, I am obviously grateful that they survived unhurt, but my thoughts about a certain type of scum in South Africa are entirely unprintable.

We stayed in the Hilton in Durban Central until Monday morning. No dramas as we literally just crossed the road to the Expo and that was it.

Courtesy of another supporter, I managed to see The Missus at four places along the route. The race itself was a real spectacle of endurance. There was a great community spirit about the race. It was amazing to see the mix of families and supporters pitching in their efforts at the roadside. Watching the runners at mile 50 was like watching a herd on The Walking Dead. Silent hordes making their way through the town of Polly Shortts.

On Monday we moved to Umhlanga Rocks and stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel. It was a great place with very attentive staff and charming management.

We did a one day safari to Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Game Reserve. The company we used was Blue Dolphin tours who sent us with a sub contractor called Debbie. Her dad was a former ranger and she grew up around the parks. There was just myself, Debbie and The Missus in the car and it was a nice relaxed trip, she was very amenable. I would definitely recommend a trip with her.

I have no burning desire to go back to South Africa. As a one off trip of a lifetime it was worth the effort though!

We stayed in the Hilton in Durban Central until Monday morning. No dramas as we literally just crossed the road to the Expo and that was it.

Courtesy of another supporter, I managed to see The Missus at four places along the route. The race itself was a real spectacle of endurance. There was a great community spirit about the race. It was amazing to see the mix of families and supporters pitching in their efforts at the roadside. Watching the runners at mile 50 was like watching a herd on The Walking Dead. Silent hordes making their way through the town of Polly Shortts.

On Monday we moved to Umhlanga Rocks and stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel. It was a great place with very attentive staff and charming management.

We did a one day safari to Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Game Reserve. The company we used was Blue Dolphin tours who sent us with a sub contractor called Debbie. Her dad was a former ranger and she grew up around the parks. There was just myself, Debbie and The Missus in the car and it was a nice relaxed trip, she was very amenable. I would definitely recommend a trip with her.

I have no burning desire to go back to South Africa. As a one off trip of a lifetime it was worth the effort though!
    Pleased you stayed in Umhlanga and happy you experienced a nicer side to Africa.

Master

Durban tips?

I have no burning desire to go back to South Africa.
    Two words that might change your mind, Cape Town

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Pleased you stayed in Umhlanga and happy you experienced a nicer side to Africa.
    Thanks again Chinnock. I sent The Missus a link to the pre-holiday thread and she was surprised by the information and support that could be gleaned from a ‘Watch Forum’ 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Two words that might change your mind, Cape Town
    Please don’t get me wrong Chalet, we had a great time! The highlights were amazing. It’s just that the cost of flights and flying time were not something that I would like to do again anytime soon. Safari was amazing and surreal though. Especially for a London boy!

It’s sad to say that the thing that I was most astounded by during my visit was the rate of HIV infection. In KwaZulu-Natal (The province that Durban is in) it is over 28% for the whole population! I was told that antiretroviral drugs are free and available but the practicalities of delivery and uptake are far from straightforward.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I can remember when Durban was a lovely city, sadly it is now a lawless cess-pit, much like a lot of South Africa nowadays. My daughter and her husband were held up and robbed at gunpoint whilst on holiday in Cape Town a couple of years ago, I am obviously grateful that they survived unhurt, but my thoughts about a certain type of scum in South Africa are entirely unprintable.
    When I was working out there in Cape Town, we holidayed in Durban and it was a very nice place. The beaches were great and we went on a few trips. We met some real Zulu's - many of the locals I worked with were disgusted with this picture of me and my g/f, now my wife. Mind you, that was back in 1982..............

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    When I was working out there in Cape Town, we holidayed in Durban and it was a very nice place. The beaches were great and we went on a few trips. We met some real Zulu's - many of the locals I worked with were disgusted with this picture of me and my g/f, now my wife. Mind you, that was back in 1982..............

Interesting picture and the Durban of the 1980’s was very different to how it seems to be now, much like South Africa in general I am sorry to say.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Interesting picture and the Durban of the 1980’s was very different to how it seems to be now, much like South Africa in general I am sorry to say.
    They knew their place.

Spent some time in SA, the great white Shark diving is one of the most incredible things I've done, pretty awesome seeing them so close! Also did the Bloukrans bridge bunjee jump which is circa 1500ft iirc, although not sure I'd do that again - pretty scary.

I would echo what others have said, don't go out at night for a wander, drive if you do and go point to point. Always drive with your doors locked and don't blindly follow a sat nav. Other than that it's an amazing country for scenary and the drakensberg mountains are incredible. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk