closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This Fake Rolex Is The Most Accurate Yet

This Fake Rolex Is The Most Accurate Yet

This Fake Rolex Is The Most Accurate Yet | Watchfinder & Co.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=upAJE_XhT2Y

Amazing and terrifying in equal measure.

Pretty bad taste from Watchfinder. If they wanted to make a point, they could have at least used a Richemont manufactured watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes I put it on the fake thread earlier.

Master
    People on TRF will have a hissy fit at this! A macro video pointing out the differences between a super fake and a real Rolex!

[sarcasm]Doesn’t this guy know the fakers aren’t aware of the differences and if we tell them they’ll improve![/sarcasm]

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it wasn’t a fake and they just made a watch of their own design would it be a good one.
    If so why not just design a watch and make it?

Because it would be just another well made watch which most likely won’t sell? Faketists piggyback on well developed brand name/recognisable watch models which helps to move stuff quickly for a fraction of the price of the real thing.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    If it wasn’t a fake and they just made a watch of their own design would it be a good one.
    Because creating a new design and brand is the hard part.

Master
    Fakes are good news to Watchfinder. They are establishing themselves as the place to buy genuine watches. The harder it is to tell, the more you should buy from a reputable place. Highlighting the difference only makes Watchfinder look better.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Because you wouldn’t sell any. Imagine the investment these factories have had to manufacture these watches. Many famous Swiss brands still don’t have the capacity to fully manufacture their own movements.

These watches cost a grand, add a high street distribution network and it would cost 2k, add VAT and you’re now 2.5k for your ‘made in China’ chronograph.

Look at Tudor’s recent relaunch, they’ve got celebrity endorsements, global sponsorships, global retail outlets, huge media spend and still the man on the street hasn’t heard of them.

The money to build a desirable luxury brand is almost limitless. It’s far easier just to look like one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Fakes are good news to Watchfinder. They are establishing themselves as the place to buy genuine watches. The harder it is to tell, the more you should buy from a reputable place. Highlighting the difference only makes Watchfinder look better.

But didn’t they get in trouble for , unknowingly , selling stolen watches....which hardly suggests scrupulous attention to the basics.

In comparison the hands look like they have been smashed on with a lump hammer - although without magnification, this may not be visible !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    When you paint a door or whatever,you see all the imperfections and you or at least I don't like how it looks,but once you've finished and stand back it looks perfectly fine from a distance.You know longer see the imperfections you noticed up close and it may look just as good as the job an expensive painter & decorator would have done.

Now we need to be really up close where fake watches are concerned and not just look from a distance and be duped it's genuine anymore.

It won't get any easier.

Journeyman
    The thing is Rolex’s finishing can be sloppy enough at times. A brand new polar EX2 I’ve handled had some of the worst paint application I’ve ever seen (on a watch over a grand) on the GMT hand. And this popped up the other day on Reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com..._finishing_qa/
    Last edited by Oafley Jones; 1st June 2019 at 09:31.

The summing up at the end was interesting, however it assumes the wearer knows it's a fake. If they purchased it through the Grey Market, EBay, etc, then his £10-15k might be pretty much worth naff all despite all the "smiles" he gives it.

Scary stuff. Perhaps that's why the last watch I bought was via a Rolex AD.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But didn’t they get in trouble for , unknowingly , selling stolen watches....which hardly suggests scrupulous attention to the basics.
    WF have also been caught selling a fake Tudor BB and had to take it back...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post

Excactly. Thats why they made the video, not to help the consumer identify one.

Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    Excactly. Thats why they made the video, not to help the consumer identify one.
    Yep. As good as the videos are, they all made as advertisements for WF. He makes a good point about the fake. Next to the genuine in macro, yeah it looks different once you look very close. But on its own, it's enough to fool all but the most expert of WiS.

Wow in the last ten years fakes have come on so much. Looks as though they will be unidentifiable soon. Scary stuff for the second hand market.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Wow in the last ten years fakes have come on so much. Looks as though they will be unidentifiable soon. Scary stuff for the second hand market.
    If it has got a set of papers and a box it will be a doddle to sell. They all study the watch but the papers which are a piece of cake to forge for a few quid barely merit a second glance. Such is the daft world of the WIS.

Master
    I just looked at every pre-owned watch I've got and thought... what if?

Scary stuff indeed!

Master
    The thing that amazed me was that the fake sold for £1000!!! OK, its a tenth of what Rolex would charge, but to me £1k is a lot of money, and I was to spend it on a watch, I'm sure I could find better things to spend it on than a fake, however good a fake. It was interesting that the movement is now a 'replica' as well - out of idle curiosity I'd like to know how good a replica it is - ie accuracy, durability etc. And how WR are these things? Its a dead giveaway if you've been unknowingly sold a fake and its stops the moment you step in the shower with it!

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    The thing that amazed me was that the fake sold for £1000
    It is a lot of money but if that exact watch had Steinhart on the dial you’d be pretty happy with it’s quality at a grand.

Rolex themselves have a to shoulder some of the blame for the availability of these fakes too. It’s not like any of us could go and buy a Daytona at retail today even if we wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It is a lot of money but if that exact watch had Steinhart on the dial you’d be pretty happy with it’s quality at a grand.

Rolex themselves have a to shoulder some of the blame for the availability of these fakes too. It’s not like any of us could go and buy a Daytona at retail today even if we wanted one.
    I would consider it an unlikely excuse/explanation for buying a fake. Someone who wants to and can afford to buy the original at list price is NOT going to buy a fake just because he cannot source an original. There can be numerous explanations/excuses
    for buying a fake and do not want to get into the morality of the same but I seriously doubt if above is one of them.
    I do agree with your first point.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    The thing that amazed me was that the fake sold for £1000!!! OK, its a tenth of what Rolex would charge, but to me £1k is a lot of money, and I was to spend it on a watch, I'm sure I could find better things to spend it on than a fake, however good a fake.
    That was what I was thinking too MrG. I can understand someone buying a 50 quid fake from some shady bloke on the Costa Del Sol. While drunk. It's 50 quid, but a 1000? That's putting a fair chunk of change down to try and impress people. Even though vanishingly few normal :) non watch people will care. The 50 quid fake would probably suffice. Indeed "fake Rolex" is enough of a thing on our culture so no doubt a fair few everyday people will assume a Rolex is a fake anyway.

Years ago I stumbled on a forum where some guys were building very close fakes of vintage Rolex like James Bond big crown type, MilSubs and the like. Regularly using original movements and other original parts too. Some of them went well into the thousand quid mark. And though I most certainly didn't approve, I could still understand that. Kinda like building a kit car. More of a hobby and social group thing and at least it took personal effort.

Wibbs, you are charmingly out of touch with today's fake scene:-). People invest a lot of time, effort and money in an attempt to get as close as possible and lots of people buy these so called 99.9 replicas/fakes.
    And those franken Milsubs and like run into not one but several thousand quids.

There are people who are into fakes just for the hell of it.

Me, I am mostly into homages because I like wearing them and bashing them about and doing things to them I wouldn't do to an original vintage. There are many who view homages in the same light as the fakes... nobody said it was going to easy...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I expect most of us here feel like he did wearing the fake as he says at the end of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would consider it an unlikely excuse/explanation for buying a fake. Someone who wants to and can afford to buy the original at list price is NOT going to buy a fake just because he cannot source an original. There can be numerous explanations/excuses
    for buying a fake and do not want to get into the morality of the same but I seriously doubt if above is one of them.
    I do agree with your first point.
    I agree it’s unlikely but £1k for a watch with limited resale value isn’t going isn’t going to be bought by those on the bread line. I’ve heard of people buying fakes because they want to try a particular model out, so it’s not out the realms possibility that someone might turn to a high quality fake when an original isn’t available.

These fakes are getting scarily good. There's one 16610 clone I know of that is, as far as I can tell, identical to watches I've seen sold by well respected dealers as genuine. There are things that look different to other subs from the same year, which would ordinarily raise an eyebrow but since I've seen "genuine" watches that apparently have the same tells, is this because Rolex actually made watches of that variant and the fakers are that good or is it because even reputable dealers are being duped?
    Last edited by Groundrush; 3rd June 2019 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    is this because Rolex actually made watches of that variant and the fakers are that good or is it because even reputable dealers are being duped?

Real or fake?
    Probably the latter!

I think people buy these £1000+ fakes because they’re so close to the real thing that they can easily be sold on to the unsuspecting punter for a healthy profit. Either without b&p or with fakes of those too.

I refer back to inspector Milton’s narrative from last year!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wibbs, you are charmingly out of touch with today's fake scene:-). People invest a lot of time, effort and money in an attempt to get as close as possible and lots of people buy these so called 99.9 replicas/fakes.
    And those franken Milsubs and like run into not one but several thousand quids.
    Doesn't surprise me R. On that forum or group I remember a Milsub that at the time(circa 2009) had cost over 2000 and it was scarily accurate. I wouldn't be particularly up to speed(to put it kindly) with current Rolex models, but with a long interest in military issued watches I"d be fairly clued in with the Mildsubs and this fake was very believable. The guy had even faked MOD replacement parts and had added and then removed the fixed spring bars, leaving enough evidence to show they'd been present. Unreal attention to detail. The faker would have made one helluva appraiser for the real thing as far as knowledge went. I could easily see it showing up in an auction down the line and selling as an original. If it hasn't already. The other issued dive watch of the time the Omega has had a load of fakes and frankens sell.

Apprentice
    Mind blowing wtf lol