closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA - Erika Original MN - Alternative

PSA - Erika Original MN - Alternative

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but just seen that Watch Gecko do a scarily similar strap to the Erika Original MN for under £20.

Cheers,
    Martin.

They are zulu straps £18 delivered(standard price is £24).Good quality,thinner and finer elastic material feels better on wrist than Erika's.Only issue is they don't hold watch head as well as Erika's and it tends to move about when you take off and put on.When fastened onto wrist it's held securely.Exact same design as well

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I've had a few of the ZD straps and IMO they're not worth £18. I currently own a couple of MN-style from cheapnatowatchstraps and they cost a fiver. The quality difference certainly isn't £13 worth. I do find ZD natos over-priced anyway, especially when compared to Eddie's.

Are these elasticated as we are talking about or standard nylon material?
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've had a few of the ZD straps and IMO they're not worth £18. I currently own a couple of MN-style from cheapnatowatchstraps and they cost a fiver. The quality difference certainly isn't £13 worth. I do find ZD natos over-priced anyway, especially when compared to Eddie's.
    Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Are these elasticated as we are talking about or standard nylon material?

Nylon.

Craftsman
    I went crazy recently and bought one of Erikas Vintage straps in brown with red stripe as I had a watch with 23mm lugs.
    It was very nice and comfy but also very expensive!
    Ive just recieved my first Timefactors watch today and am very impressed with Eddies nato's.
    They're a little short for me but just about tuck back in so I'll definitely be ordering some more soon.
    I was going to try a Zuludiver MN strap but may have a look at the cheapnatostraps ones now.
    Cheers,
    Rob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    They do a clone of the MN now that works in the same way as Erika's, not just a stripe down the middle on a nylon nato.

Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    They do a clone of the MN now that works in the same way as Erika's, not just a stripe down the middle on a nylon nato.
    Ah, OK. I didn't know that. Ignore me then!

As you were.

Yes,exact same design as Erika's - elastic material as already stated.Worth a try considering the price.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the heads up. I've ordered the grey one with white stripe.
    Will hopefully go with my Speedmaster, Black Bay 58 and Halios Seaforth.
    Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I wonder how well these will squeeze between lugs 1mm smaller than the strap width? For example 20mm strap squeezed between 19mm lugs.

Isn't the whole point of the Erika's straps that they are stupidly expensive? The cost of adding a flag to mine is more than whole cost of two of the functional identical cheapnatos ffs.

I'm now rather pleased that i opted for the luminous centre thread. In the, admittedly unlikely, event that I see someone with; a cheapnato, in dark bar, a minute or two after sunset. I can look down on them.

Craftsman
    I've owned both, Erika's elastic is notably better - a thicker and more durable feeling weave.

The buckle on Erika's also stays in place more easily, I'd say hers is worth the extra money personally.

Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    I've owned both, Erika's elastic is notably better - a thicker and more durable feeling weave.

The buckle on Erika's also stays in place more easily, I'd say hers is worth the extra money personally.
    I agree, these aren't like normal NATOSs in that you need tools to fit them so they tend to stay put. From the moment I fitted my MN Trident to the PRS 18 I was absolutely convinced that there was no competition for its place on the watch. In that respect it has saved me money.

Its the same with the Hirsch James on my Stowa Baumuster. Initially I baulked at £60 for a plain leather strap; from the moment it went on the watch i knew that I never need look for an alternative.

As I only have two watches that aren't on a bracelet i'm a happier man for Erika's efforts.

Craftsman
    Ordered Friday, delivered Saturday, wore it camping Saturday and Sunday.
    For the money I think it's pretty good. It's super comfy and I'd happily buy another in a different colour.
    Thanks again for the heads up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Ordered Friday, delivered Saturday, wore it camping Saturday and Sunday.
    For the money I think it's pretty good. It's super comfy and I'd happily buy another in a different colour.
    Thanks again for the heads up.

If you have an Omega and a Tudor, treat yourself to an Erika's Original mate
    Try the vintage brown with red stripe, expensive but so nice
    Cheers,
    Rob

These aren't Nato straps.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Ive improved the buckle situation on mine by doing a couple wraps of tape around the inside of it to make it stiffer to slide, a lot better now.

Interestingly, I see that most of these have sold out - I emailed to enquire about re-stocking dates and was told that the straps have been "withdrawn for re-design". I assume Erika has set the lawyers on them!

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Interestingly, I see that most of these have sold out - I emailed to enquire about re-stocking dates and was told that the straps have been "withdrawn for re-design". I assume Erika has set the lawyers on them!
    Interesting..but can Erika have exclusive use of this design? I doubt it.Have contacted watchgecko to find out if there is a problem with my strap.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amcneill; 25th June 2019 at 15:13.

Having winced at the price of the EO straps and in truth not really fancying the bulk of the hardware I saw a picture of a seaforth on an elasticated strap, a bit of digging took me here https://nickmankeydesigns.com/shop/t...tic-watch-band

With a holiday coming up I ordered one, it arrived pretty quickly and it was just what I was looking for.

They lack the security of going under the watch head linking the spring bars but that means the watch sits on the wrist, the hardware is neat and sits comfortably under the wrist. Its very easy to get a good fit and I don't think there is much risk of the hook coming undone by accident.

I was so pleased with the quality and cost so I ordered a couple more.

The only fault I can find is the choice of colours, with green navy and black purchased there isn't really anything else I fancy. I can't speak of longevity yet but my holiday one stood up well to sun cream, sea water and chlorine in the pool.

Not sure they're competing with EO but they make for an interesting alternative.

I'll post a couple of pictures tomorrow if I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Having winced at the price of the EO straps and in truth not really fancying the bulk of the hardware I saw a picture of a seaforth on an elasticated strap, a bit of digging took me here https://nickmankeydesigns.com/shop/t...tic-watch-band

They look interesting, I’ll look forward to seeing the pics.
    I tried on the ZD elasticated strap and I’m a bit underwhelmed tbh.

PSA - Erika Original MN - Alternative

One more supplier to add to the list, NDC Straps in Brighton:

https://etsy.me/2XN5S5Q

I can’t compare them to the other ones, but I’m very pleased with mine.

Last edited by alfat33; 6th July 2019 at 16:21.

Just received my first ZD ones from Watch Gecko yesterday.
    Very pleased with the black with red stripe option on my U1

And here is the ZD grey with black stripe (white stripe was out of stock and I was impatient) on my Pelagos. Again, so far very happy with it.

Erika MN Strap or Similar on a PRS 22 Speedbird

Has anyone put one on.

I am very curious as mine has lived on the excellent bracelet that Eddie issued her with.

Best,

Ben

With a holiday coming up I ordered one, it arrived pretty quickly and it was just what I was looking for.

They lack the security of going under the watch head linking the spring bars but that means the watch sits on the wrist, the hardware is neat and sits comfortably under the wrist. Its very easy to get a good fit and I don't think there is much risk of the hook coming undone by accident.

The only fault I can find is the choice of colours, with green navy and black purchased there isn't really anything else I fancy. I can't speak of longevity yet but my holiday one stood up well to sun cream, sea water and chlorine in the pool.

Not sure they're competing with EO but they make for an interesting alternative.

OK so I took a punt for $42 (inc tax) but I’ve just got stung for £15 from HMC! For the grand total of over £48 I’d rather have one from Erika tbh.
    Last edited by bigvic; 27th July 2019 at 12:32.

Mine came through without a hitch. It is frustrating when something relatively cheap gets stopped and the admin fee makes the purchase uneconomic.

Hopefully you not be disappointed, been wearing mine all this week and it's been very comfortable in the heat.

I've been thinking about trying an EO MN but, as I was buying some cheap NATOs from them anyway, I decided to try one of the cheapestnatostraps ones. I don't like it. It's far too flimsy and feels like it either has to be on really tight, or the clasp could easily undo itself with a sharp knock in the wrong place, getting caught on a doorhandle etc. In fact even if it was on far tighter than I would like, I wouldn't feel it was secure enough to put on any watch I care about in the slightest.

I believe the EO version is more secure so I'd be willing to give it a try, however, I'd ideally want to be fit it onto my CWC which has fixed bars. AFAIK that is not possible with the EO design, but it is with the CNS design. Theirs is a single piece of elastic with a sewn-on buckle at one end, then a floating retainer you attach to the other end after threading it onto the watch. I tried a lot of different ways to thread the retainer and none of them gave a secure fit that sits flat, although some methods were better than others. The way it came originally was one of the worst, as the elastic tends to slip through when you attach the buckle, so it ends up fitting slightly looser every time you try to put it on.

This leaves me wondering if there are any middle-ground options out there, which are better quality and more secure than CNS, but can still be fitted to a watch with fixed bars?

Mine came through without a hitch. It is frustrating when something relatively cheap gets stopped and the admin fee makes the purchase uneconomic.

Hopefully you not be disappointed, been wearing mine all this week and it's been very comfortable in the heat.
    Its certainly better quality than the ZD strap and despite not going under the case like the ZD or a Nato it feels more secure.

I’m fairly philosophical about the customs charge bearing in mind the times I’ve bought from the likes of Creation under the radar of HMC.

...The only fault I can find is the choice of colours...
    He has no khaki straps. That is somewhat of a staple since so many men wear khaki chinos. I'm unsure of the thought process there but I certainly won't be substituting a pink or yellow strap...

I'd be interested in pics of that as well. I'm looking for something like this that will work with my PRS-40.

Just received a Watch Stew.ard one that is quite ok. With some effort it will push through the lugs of the PRS-40, but unfortunately the size of my wrist and the lug-to-lug length on the 40 means that the adjustment doesn't quite work to get a fit on me. The strap will adjust for my wrist, but it needs something a bit shorter to allow it to work I think (I've fitted it successfully to my Everest). (I may give it another go later, but it's a fair bit of a faff to get it through the lugs of the 40!)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day