closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Omega Speedmaster: how do you move the minute hand?

Vintage Omega Speedmaster: how do you move the minute hand?

A friend has just asked me how to set the minute hand of the Omega watch his grandfather gave him?

The crown will only pull out one position and only the hour hand moves at that point. It’s also non-hacking so you can’t even stop the minute hand and start it at the correct moment.

The only thing I can think of is the little button above the crown? We’re in a bar right now so I can’t test it out! Am I right?

IMG_6239.JPGIMG_6240.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That ain’t no Speedmaster!! Yes the little button should advance the seconds and minutes, a gentle push should see if it all works..

Master
    If the minute hand is not moving when you pull out the crown and turn it . Then it sounds like there’s something up with the pinion. Take it in for repair. The Chrono buttons start and stop the Chrono seconds hands. The top button starts it. As it covers one minute you will note the 30 minute counter then moves 1 minute. The bottom button stops the Chrono second hand and a second push resets it.
    It sounds like it needs a service

Master
    Obviously that watch will be worth multiple thousands of pounds , if indeed it is a Speedmaster.
    So tell your friend to look after it well and get it serviced by a reputable technician.
    I send mine to Simon Freese

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    If the minute hand is not moving when you pull out the crown and turn it . Then it sounds like there’s something up with the pinion. Take it in for repair. The Chrono buttons start and stop the Chrono seconds hands. The top button starts it. As it covers one minute you will note the 30 minute counter then moves 1 minute. The bottom button stops the Chrono second hand and a second push resets it.
    Did you look at the photos?

Never seen a chrono with invisible dials before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    While Omega did make a very few Speedmaster non chronograph dress watches, they are so rare that this is most likely a Seamaster. What it certainly has is Omega’s fine in house 13xx movement. This allows you to move the hour and date by hand to facilitate international travel. Moving the minute and second hand is by the little button above the crown, but the watch is remarkably advanced for the time and so you have to hold it down (it’s designed for a biro) for five seconds to activate the circuit. After that it’s pretty well as you’d expect. Set the seconds and minute first, then the hour as the hour should be moved too.

I hope that helps.

Here’s Desmond, my go to Omega expert, explaining:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/help...h-please.3965/

As I remember, there was an early version with a 10xx auto and this later 11xx version had a 14xx quartz version. I’ve never seen or heard of an earlier 13xx quartz version, but it would be logical and, if it existed, might well look like the watch above. I’d be very interested to see decent pictures of the front, back and sides if it does say Speedmaster rather than Seamaster.
    Last edited by M4tt; 31st May 2019 at 08:04.

Would definitely be interesting to see better photos!

The pictures aren't clear but I wouldn't be surprised if it says Speedmaster on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    While Omega did make a very few Speedmaster non chronograph dress watches, they are so rare that this is most likely a Seamaster. What it certainly has is Omega’s fine in house 13xx movement. This allows you to move the hour and date by hand to facilitate international travel. Moving the minute and second hand is by the little button above the crown, but the watch is remarkably advanced for the time and so you have to hold it down (it’s designed for a biro) for five seconds to activate the circuit. After that it’s pretty well as you’d expect. Set the seconds and minute first, then the hour as the hour should be moved too.

I hope that helps.

Here’s Desmond, my go to Omega expert, explaining:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/help...h-please.3965/

As I remember, there was an early version with a 10xx auto and this later 11xx version had a 14xx quartz version. I’ve never seen or heard of an earlier 13xx quartz version, but it would be logical and, if it existed, might well look like the watch above. I’d be very interested to see decent pictures of the front, back and sides if it does say Speedmaster rather than Seamaster.
    Thanks for your reply. I had a look yesterday and you’re quite correct - it is a Seamaster - so apologies for potentially causing undue excitement!

What I cannot for the life of me work out is how to set the minute hand. When I pressed the little button above the crown for a while it stops the second hand but the minute hand doesn’t move. Short presses of the button advances the second hand but even when doing that 60 times the minute hand doesn’t advance. Can you give me an idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I had a look yesterday and you’re quite correct - it is a Seamaster - so apologies for potentially causing undue excitement!

What I cannot for the life of me work out is how to set the minute hand. When I pressed the little button above the crown for a while it stops the second hand but the minute hand doesn’t move. Short presses of the button advances the second hand but even when doing that 60 times the minute hand doesn’t advance. Can you give me an idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks.

I haven't repaired one of these for a while, but I seem to remember that you push the pin in the centre of the crown twice. Holding it in on the second push. The minute hand should then start to move. Fresh battery might also help.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk