closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket World Cup 2019

Hybrid View

Cricket World Cup 2019

It was suggested to make a separate thread for the World Cup, so here it is for all the games over the next month and a half or so.

First up, go and watch the Stokes phenomenal catch and come back to the thread. Magnificent!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    watch the Stokes phenomenal catch
    https://twitter.com/Stokesy1966/stat...31130930728960

Last edited by Der Amf; 30th May 2019 at 17:23.

Simply amazing - he's basically horizontal, not able to look at the ball and the ball is behind him when he catches it. Catch of the tournament already sorted.

Well England romp home to 104 run win, bowling out SA in 40 overs. Absolutely brilliant in all 3 departments. England last year would have had a batting collapse, but Stokes was key to keeping it all together when we realised the pitch was not quite what was expected. Great unit performance!

Simply amazing - he's basically horizontal, not able to look at the ball and the ball is behind him when he catches it. Catch of the tournament already sorted.
    The picture in #2 is immediately after he's caught the ball and is his way down. His eyes were on the ball until the moment he caught it:

That does nothing to take away from quite how remarkable it was. Rather, IMO, it adds to it by demonstrating his determination and skill.

Sorry about the grainy screen shot.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The picture in #2 is immediately after he's caught the ball and is his way down. His eyes were on the ball until the moment he caught it:

That does nothing to take away from quite how remarkable it was. Rather, IMO, it adds to it by demonstrating his determination and skill.

Sorry about the grainy screen shot.
    I agree it’s even more impressive. Not a total fluke at all. Simply amazing!

A Sri Lanka batting collapse in progress. The 7th wicket was just starting to rebuild as well. Tougher wicket here in Cardiff, very green and inducing errors - could have a decent game if Sri Lanka can somehow get to 180 (as i type 8th wicket down, so 150 if super lucky...) and they bowl well at the top of the innings. Unlikely.

The sub continent teams should get better as the tournament progresses - not always easy in the first few games for them here in England.

Ouch! That hurt the Paddy Power account big time.

Two cracking games in progress! It seems a lot of the lower teams simply needed time to come into the tournament, fingers crossed for a few more upsets!

In other news, I just snagged a ticket for Eng vs Aus at Lords on Tuesday......

Master
    A very satisfying performance. A year ago we would have taken that early loss of Bairstow badly.

And that catch. As good if not better than the one he took off Broad at Trent Bridge.

That 104 will come in useful if run difference comes into the equation.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

What a game, what a catch, what a performance. A great start. It bodes well for the next few weeks.

(Is now a good time to mention that I've got a ticket for the Final?) :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    What a game, what a catch, what a performance. A great start. It bodes well for the next few weeks.

(Is now a good time to mention that I've got a ticket for the Final?) :D
    You lucky so and so!!! I wasn’t organised to get any tickets. My brother had Pakistan vs Sri Lanka but sold it back before offering me!

If you can’t make the final, I’ll gladly fill in

Lastly, called up Sky and for just the cricket it costs an extra £10 on our basic package a month. That’s the EC and Ashes sorted. Yay.

First up, go and watch the Stokes phenomenal catch and come back to the thread. Magnificent!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/48467301

Craftsman
    Excellent start to the tournament, I was praying they wouldn't mess it up like against the Aussies in the warm up.
    I'm thinking Archer is a real find.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Excellent start to the tournament, I was praying they wouldn't mess it up like against the Aussies in the warm up.
    I'm thinking Archer is a real find.
    You're absolutely correct, but don't concern yourself about the warm up games, they meant nothing, and it was only 12 runs.

Archer is very much the real deal, and if Wood stays fit, we can open the bowling with genuine 90mph+ pace from each end. Stokes was other-worldly yesterday, not just that astonishing catch but also a very sharp run-out, and a good performance with the bat. He's growing into the talismanic all-rounder role which every successful England side seems to need - Botham, Flintoff, and now we've got one who's not only a gifted all-rounder, but angry and ginger as well.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Unfortunately I don't follow cricket like I use to but I keept an eye on it today. Great start by England, I think archer will have a big say for England. Considering the early jitters for England, I think they recovered brilliantly. I felt England were 25 runs short of a good score but what do I know . Great start to the tournament and I think England have got a few gears to go up. Semi final at the minimum.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

The Windies looking a bit spicy against Pakistan.
    i wonder how other teams will approach the bouncers?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    The Windies looking a bit spicy against Pakistan.
    i wonder how other teams will approach the bouncers?
    A bit of a panicked approach by Pakistan, and they folded a bit too easily for my liking once a few wickets fell.

Overall a typical performance by them - boom or bust. Shame though for all the fans.

So an England side isn't as good as the English media make it out to be. Shambolic fielding.

In other equally surprising news smoking is bad for your health and the earth is not flat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanb741; 3rd June 2019 at 18:55.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So an England side isn't as good as the English media make it out to be. In other equally surprising news smoking is bad for your health and the earth is not flat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I don't think England did badly here - 2 hundreds and they still lost. Pakistan definitely upped their level massively. But yes, your comment is typical of the media, lol!

Pakistan were on a 11 game losing streak up to this game, including losing to us 4 times just before the WC!

Not seen it but we’re the bogans absolutely awesome or did our heads get addled because it’s australia?

Apprentice
    Pakistan to win.

Not sure if that was a great game of cricket or not between Sri Lanka vs Afghanistan, but for entertainment and tension it was right up there. Sri Lanka monumentally collapse from 134-1 to 200 odd all out, with the revised target down to 187 (DLS) because of rain. The only way there were going to win was if they took 10 wickets, and they somehow did that to win by 34 runs. A bit of an odd game and shame Afghanistan couldn't pull off a famous victory. But Sri Lanka's mid/lower order need to improve. Fast. Otherwise they will not pose a threat to any of the other teams in this tournament.

India finally make their appearance tomorrow against South Africa. I find it ridiculous that SA are on their third game and India are only beginning their campaign. I know scheduling must be tough, be nevertheless totally bizarre.

Also on the cards is Bangladesh vs New Zealand at the Oval for a D/N. I think this could be a good game - gold seats were available last time i checked at £60. A bit pricey me thinks and a chance of rain too.

Journeyman
    It's pulled me in so far. England v Pakistan and England v South Africa were engaging for different reasons as an England fan. Sri Lanka's collapse today made for a fascinating evening.

Looking forward to more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
    It's pulled me in so far. England v Pakistan and England v South Africa were engaging for different reasons as an England fan. Sri Lanka's collapse today made for a fascinating evening.

Looking forward to more of the same.
    There is still something to be said about low scoring games. Fascinating.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if that was a great game of cricket or not between Sri Lanka vs Afghanistan, but for entertainment and tension it was right up there. Sri Lanka monumentally collapse from 134-1 to 200 odd all out, with the revised target down to 187 (DLS) because of rain. The only way there were going to win was if they took 10 wickets, and they somehow did that to win by 34 runs. A bit of an odd game and shame Afghanistan couldn't pull off a famous victory. But Sri Lanka's mid/lower order need to improve. Fast. Otherwise they will not pose a threat to any of the other teams in this tournament.

India finally make their appearance tomorrow against South Africa. I find it ridiculous that SA are on their third game and India are only beginning their campaign. I know scheduling must be tough, be nevertheless totally bizarre.

Also on the cards is Bangladesh vs New Zealand at the Oval for a D/N. I think this could be a good game - gold seats were available last time i checked at £60. A bit pricey me thinks and a chance of rain too.
    Isn't that because the BCCI stipulated that the Indian players needed a minimum of 15 days recovery after the end of the IPL and World cup start......

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/c...ate-1.64365651

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Isn't that because the BCCI stipulated that the Indian players needed a minimum of 15 days recovery after the end of the IPL and World cup start......

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/c...ate-1.64365651
    I’ve been trying to figure this out with no success, thank you!

Not sure if entering a tournament this late is a good or bad thing though. South Africa will have the bit between their teeth.

SA to bat first. They will need a very good total if they want to defend this target.

Wohoo - back to some cricket. A bit of a farce this weather nonsense. There should be a contingency day for each match. As far as I can tell we don't have one because the scheduling is so cramped - the ICC wants to minimise the days with 2 matches as well as dead days with no matches - ironic when we've lost 3 days days so far (joint record for a CWC...)

I was also asked my opinion on the 'zinger' bails not dropping. I've copied it here for anyone who's interested.

There are potentially 3 modes of 'failure' as to why this happens -

1. the 'zinger' bails are heavier
    2. the groove they sit in are deeper to accommodate them
    3. the wickets themselves are heavier to take the weight better or they are banged in deeper and so more 'stuck'.

I think it is most likely a combination of the 3, but that isn't in my mind the right question to be asking. There are 2 deeper philosophical points we should be considering -

1. Do we even need bails anymore?
    2. Is it actually a bad thing that more 'effort' at times may be required to knock the bails down?

On the first - the bails falling have been the traditional method for the umpire to have a visual confirmation that the wickets were indeed hit - electronic wickets in theory remove the need of this. However I'd argue that no bails removes quite a lot of drama and so I believe bails are still necessary.

On the second - we have never defined how much force should be required to knock the bails off. Simply 'touching' should not be enough to send a batsman back to the pavilion. This is the core of the problem we need to solve. I'm actually ok with needing a bit more 'oomph' to remove the bails.

This does not exonerate the 'zinger' bails however. The most bizarre observation that I've seen is a dismissal by Archer. He bowled out the batsman, with the ball clipping the top of the wicket (bails fell), the ball then flew and cleared the boundary rope! It was out no problem, but I've never seen anything like that, not even a bounce, just straight over for a 'six'! Such forces means something must be wrong somewhere!

Master
    Outstanding batting. Looking forward to seeing how our bowlers perform now.

Shame I had Khan in my fantasy league team.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

What is the general consensus regarding this Friday against Sri Lanka? I can't see it being another Afghanistan but fingers crossed a reasonably comfortable win?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    What is the general consensus regarding this Friday against Sri Lanka? I can't see it being another Afghanistan but fingers crossed a reasonably comfortable win?
    It should be a comfortable win - this isn't the best Sri Lanka team at the moment. They threw away a good start against Australia in the chase, so they do have some grit but just not good enough. Set a high score against them and should be fine.

It should be a comfortable win - this isn't the best Sri Lanka team at the moment. They threw away a good start against Australia in the chase, so they do have some grit but just not good enough. Set a high score against them and should be fine.
    Thanks, I'm a million miles from being an expert or true fan, but my interest is slowly and surely building.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Thanks, I'm a million miles from being an expert or true fan, but my interest is slowly and surely building.
    It's been a slow burner of the world cup with 4 good teams and 5 not as good. Today is a key clash and the Australia versus Bangladesh match. If SA and Bangladesh win, then it blows the tournament wide open. Both definitely something that could happen.

In the meantime a nice little piece by the Guardian reviewing the first half of the WC. I agree with most https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-halfway-stage

It's been a slow burner of the world cup with 4 good teams and 5 not as good. Today is a key clash and the Australia versus Bangladesh match. If SA and Bangladesh win, then it blows the tournament wide open. Both definitely something that could happen.

In the meantime a nice little piece by the Guardian reviewing the first half of the WC. I agree with most https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-halfway-stage
    Cheers for that, I find the Guardian very good for sports coverage, they seem to realise there is actually a world outside of football.

Oh, and very sorry, forgot to say, hello everyone!

Master
    I was going to say that SA have had it unless Tahir can work some magic. However NZ seem to be having a wobble. This could be an exciting finish.

I'm expecting Aus vs Bangla to be a good one too.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    I was going to say that SA have had it unless Tahir can work some magic. However NZ seem to be having a wobble. This could be an exciting finish.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    I’m torn now between this game and the Spain -Belgium U21 s game.
    Either way, the sofa will be busy for a couple of hours .

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Hope so, I'm off to Trent Bridge Inn the morning

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    Cool! Should be a good day out as the weather looks good and the Bangladeshis should provide plenty of atmosphere.

I'll be stuck in the office trying hard to look like I am being productive.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Enjoy! I was sorely tempted. Still some gold tickets available and fingers crossed for the weather which is decidedly dodgy....

Master
    That was close. Edge of seat stuff. Great innings from Williamson.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Weather is looking a lot more promising than it was earlier in the week.
    Fingers crossed we'll get away with it.
    I'm hoping for a decent fight from the Tigers - and certainly not ruling out them taking a win.
    Also off to Old Trafford on Saturday where again the weather currently looks like it won't get in the way.
    Was hoping for a Kiwi loss today to spice that one up, but still hoping for some entertaining / big hitting cricket.
    Been busy listening to TMS whilst 'working' for nearly every match so far so very much looking forward to being there...

There was a fair bit of availability for England vs Sri Lanka earlier - nabbed a ticket before realising it was in Headingley.....£125 for trains as well from london. Expensive day out tomorrow

Master
    Congratulations on getting a ticket, I hope you have a good day out and get to see some fireworks.

Today sort of petered out after Warner scored all those runs. The Bangladeshis tried so hard to get back into the game but kept getting set back. The atmosphere must have been pretty special.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Congratulations on getting a ticket, I hope you have a good day out and get to see some fireworks.

Today sort of petered out after Warner scored all those runs. The Bangladeshis tried so hard to get back into the game but kept getting set back. The atmosphere must have been pretty special.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Thank you! There was a whole block of eng vs ind tickets released today. No luck getting them with the rubbish system. I’m angling for nz vs aus ones which come up time to time.

For bangladesh - keep in perspective that their total was higher than the highest WC run chase. Not bad. Sadly this WC is becoming a bit predictable. Tomorrow is really the last meaningful game. If England win top 4 is sorted.

Enjoyable day out yesterday - but even though the Tigers were scoring quicker than the Aussies they were also losing wickets regularly so it never really looked on.
    Bangladesh do appear to be the best of the rest for me and have performed really well in the games they've lost - but the Australians were just annoyingly workman like in the way they steadily amassed a huge total and then calmly defended it.

Crowd was probably 80% Bangladeshi and the noise and atmosphere was awesome for much of the game. You could spot the 'neutral' England fans very easily when Smith went cheaply.

I enjoyed it, my 7 year old enjoyed the few hours he got to join us for after school and the whole crowd was having a good time all day.

Listening to TMS today whilst 'working' (great start for England and Archer again) and looking forward to Manchester tomorrow.

Master
    Ooops......

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Ooops......

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Oops indeed. On the train back to London - England on slower pitches are a worry. Very visible ball not coming onto bat once the ball got a bit softer. But fantastic performance in the field by Sri Lanka.

Fun fact - we play Australia, India and New Zealand as our run in. Not beaten any of them in a WC match for 27 years...

A pic or two from today!

Fun fact - we play Australia, India and New Zealand as our run in. Not beaten any of them in a WC match for 27 years...
    We'll it's just got interesting now hasn't it!
    Typical England performance when the pressure is on worryingly - distinct lack of thought or discipline once it became clear that some was required.

Still, while we haven't beaten Australia in a world cup for a little while I watched the vast majority of the current squad absolutely destroy them a couple of summers ago at Trent Bridge. That was a day where the aggressive approach worked well granted, but what a day out it was.

I head for Manchester tomorrow now really hoping the Windies turn up. About time we had another upset.

Shame that you went all that way just to watch England lose. Did you enjoy it otherwise?

The Aussies will smell blood now which will give them even more encouragement (as if they need any) to beat us. Tuesday will be a very interesting.

The competition was just about getting dull as everything was going as had been expected and this has shaken it up a bit. It's a shame it had to happen to England today.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    l

Always a fantastic day out! Overall atmosphere was a bit tense. Firstly was this going to be one sided, secondly 'oh hang on we might lose this' to lastly, we're gonna lose. Odd match/throw back to old school ODI, which is ok, but can be dull in patches as boundaries aren't flowing. But as I said, tenser for it!

We'll it's just got interesting now hasn't it!
    Typical England performance when the pressure is on worryingly - distinct lack of thought or discipline once it became clear that some was required.

Still, while we haven't beaten Australia in a world cup for a little while I watched the vast majority of the current squad absolutely destroy them a couple of summers ago at Trent Bridge. That was a day where the aggressive approach worked well granted, but what a day out it was.

I head for Manchester tomorrow now really hoping the Windies turn up. About time we had another upset.
    We do badly on slow pitches. And with pressure, best bet this WC is to set/bat first. We'll do better next game.

Enjoy tomorrow!!!