closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cricket World Cup 2019

Oh oh

Omg omg omg

Master
    I don't understand it but I'm so excited!

We've won!!

YES!!!
    J

Master
    Great afternoon of sport. I'm not into tennis or cricket but both games today proved spectacular.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Omg omg omg
    Another OMG what a game what a result
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    WOW WOW WOW! WHAT A GAME WHAT A MATCH WHAT A FINISH. Well done England and New Zealand for that!

Outstanding

Well played New Zealand.

Well played England.

How did my nerves hold out...?

Bloody boring cricket.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Crikey what an ending.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Un be f####n lieveable

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There will never be anything to touch the Aguerooooooooooo moment but that was pretty damn close.
    Fantastic game to top off a brilliant tournament.

So in the main innings both score 241, NZ with 8 out, England with 10 out, that's a draw. In the super over, both score 15, NZ with 1 out, England with 0, that's not a draw, England win.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    There will never be anything to touch the Aguerooooooooooo moment but that was pretty damn close.
    Utter BS, and irrelevant to the moment.

Well done England. Lost my mojo for cricket when it went to paid TV, but that reignited it.

Master
    Fantastic result England.
    Forget the edge of the seat, I wasn’t able to sit down for the last hour!!

Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat. What a game.

Well done England 👏👏

I knew I shouldn’t have turned over at 7 o’clock for Hetty Wainthrope Investigates

Master
    This. Not wholly fair on NZ, especially with the Stokes extra 4 even accepting it was a total accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    So in the main innings both score 241, NZ with 8 out, England with 10 out, that's a draw. In the super over, both score 15, NZ with 1 out, England with 0, that's not a draw, England win.
    OK

Stokes and Williamson sentenced to a Hublot watch each.

Tough sport!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Utter BS, and irrelevant to the moment.

Well done England. Lost my mojo for cricket when it went to paid TV, but that reignited it.
    Apologies, your Lord and and Highness of all things sport.
    I’ll rephrase .
    Personally, for me , there will blah blah blah .

Master
    I'm no fan of cricket but it was quite exciting. Even my Mrs was bouncing up and down.

Craftsman
    That six !!!

I’m was running around the house going mad.

Amazing match.

Respect to New Zealand, sportsmen and gentlemen each and every one.
    England, World Champions, at Lords, after such a match. Superb, simply superb. What a game of cricket.
    J

That was amazing, but I really didn't enjoy watching it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    OK
    its nothing to do with the outs. The super over rules mean that the team with the most 4s in the main game I.e. England have the advantage if the super over draws. That is why NZ needed the extra run.

Blog Entries
    What a finale !

I haven't watched cricket for years - but that innings by Stokes was the stuff of legend...

z

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    its nothing to do with the outs. The super over rules mean that the team with the most 4s in the main game I.e. England have the advantage if the super over draws. That is why NZ needed the extra run.
    Not quite, it’s the most boundaries (fours and sixes) in the main game AND the super over.
    England had, I think, seven more boundaries overall so won.

Master
    Aah, understand.

Rules is rules I suppose but maybe it should be the team that loses less wickets wins?

Anyway, fabulous cricket from both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not quite, it’s the most boundaries (fours and sixes) in the main game AND the super over.
    That’s interesting. I thought it was down to boundaries in the super over but I will bow down to your knowledge Sir .

Master
    Brilliant game and a fantastic result at last a World Cup for England gbeng
    Just wish they’d explained the super over as well as this because I didn’t understand it was boundaries in the main game that counted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    Respect to New Zealand, sportsmen and gentlemen each and every one.
    England, World Champions, at Lords, after such a match. Superb, simply superb. What a game of cricket.
    J

This! I feel for the Kiwis having lost the 2015 final, however they did win the Rugby World Cup, so to win this as well would be just greedy

What a wonderful event, even if it did knock 5 years off my life.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

That’s interesting. I thought it was down to boundaries in the super over but I will bow down to your knowledge Sir .
    Because I only just heard about it from what the commentators said at the time, I thought I'd look up the rule. Apparently it applied specifically to a super over for the semi-finals and final of the Cricket World Cup 2019 as defined by the Playing Conditions (pdf link) at Appendix H. That says:

13 In the event of the teams having the same score after the Super Over has been completed, if the original match was a tie under the DLS method, clause 15 immediately applies. Otherwise, the team whose batsmen hit the most number of boundaries combined from its two innings in both the main match and the Super Over shall be the winner.

14 If the number of boundaries hit by both teams is equal, the team whose batsmen scored more boundaries during its innings in the main match (ignoring the Super Over) shall be the winner.

15 If still equal, a count-back from the final ball of the Super Over shall be conducted. The team with the higher scoring delivery shall be the winner. If a team loses two wickets during its over, then any unbowled deliveries will be counted as dot balls.
    Note that for this purpose, the runs scored from a delivery is defined as the total team runs scored since the completion of the previous legitimate ball, i.e including any runs resulting from wides, no ball or penalty runs.

You are quite correct.

Personally I would have liked it to have been settled on the highest run rate throughout the competition.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

What a day of cricket, my oldest’s team won this morning and he played a great game as wicket keeper- we got home in time for a roast and then watched the rest of the final! Both teams were great but it was brilliant to see an England win!!

Master
    Wow. Just wow. Still buzzing. We shouted ourselves hoarse. Were worried sick. Cheered every run and miss field. And that was before the last ball of the last over:

Too many breath taking moments

Well done New Zealand.

Even more well done England.

Think I'll need a stiff drink to send me to sleep tonight.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    You could not write the script for that game, just sensational. Well done to both teams New Zealand so magnanimous in defeat.

At long last England have won a major sporting World Cup

Blog Entries
    Epic doesn’t cover it…. I need a week to lie down in order to recover

Not as good as Leicester winning the prem though - just throwing it out there ;-)

At times like this I head straight to the bogan news websites and read their take on things and the comments.
    This time it’s one long grizzle about how NZ should have batted first on the super over and how this fake win will always have an asterisk next to it plus lots of other drivel from them

A few kiwis and brits in Australia so this comment gave a bit of balance:

“I don't need to check the scorecard, I know England has won something when the smell of sour grapes sweeps across Australia”

NZ will have made a lot of friends and gained support from neutrals and fans whose teams were knocked out in this tournament, something you will never say about the Australian team.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Wow. Just wow. Still buzzing. We shouted ourselves hoarse. Were worried sick. Cheered every run and miss field. And that was before the last ball of the last over:

Well done New Zealand.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Ooooh Jeez, I didn't realise you had tickets to the match mate! What a game. Living and breathing this 6 odd week tournament has been emotional and at times traumatic. Some satisfaction with England winning on a two paced pitch and not a flat track. Stokes had been threatening to take us to a win all by himself during the few games we did lose, but to do it in the final is remarkable. And it was by chasing, which has been so so tough in this tournament.

New Zealand may have 'lost', but their part will not be forgotten in what was possibly the greatest cricket game ever. A tie after a tie, mental

Right, now all you noisy lot go back in your box while we get back to real cricket on 1st August. The Ashes

(not really sure how the boys can get themselves down for that. Wow).

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    At times like this I head straight to the bogan news websites and read their take on things and the comments.
    This time it’s one long grizzle about how NZ should have batted first on the super over and how this fake win will always have an asterisk next to it plus lots of other drivel from them

A few kiwis and brits in Australia so this comment gave a bit of balance:

“I don't need to check the scorecard, I know England has won something when the smell of sour grapes sweeps across Australia”

NZ will have made a lot of friends and gained support from neutrals and fans whose teams were knocked out in this tournament, something you will never say about the Australian team.
    How very true.

NZ always show extreme toughness but total sportsmanship whenever they play.

If we had to lose to anyone I would have wished it to be NZ.

Wonderful game all round.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post

Well done New Zealand.

You were almost directly opposite us...

That was an insane day of cricket, too many highs and lows to be healthy! Wonderful atmosphere though and I swear there were more Indian supporters there than Brits - all making loads of noise and loving the occasion.

I think it was tough on New Zealand... their attack was top notch, hardly gave us anything to play with... really controlled and really quick and their fielding was almost without fault.

I had my 8 year old with me which just seemed to exaggerated the highs and lows - seeing the hope go to despair then back to hope and keep flipping back and forth was exhausting!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    If we had to lose to anyone I would have wished it to be NZ.
    Agree with that. I was there and was weirdly calm chiefly for that reason.

And it now emerges that NZ wuz robbed, as Stokes's 'six' in the last over should have been five:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...e04cff9b7cb105

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9004826.html

It happens. Look at the way Roy was robbed in the Aussie match by a bad umpiring decision.

I still feel for the Kiwis though. Good team, especially when you consider those eleven men form half the male population of the NZ islands...

Apparently you were not the only one wondering about that rule. See The hidden clause that decided World Cup final:

...England hoisted the trophy courtesy of a clause buried in the ICC's 143-page 2019 tournament playing conditions that’s never before been applied in an international game.

The clause, which also applies to semi-finals, states...
    [see #284]
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th July 2019 at 10:57. Reason: added link to post #284

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    It happens. Look at the way Roy was robbed in the Aussie match by a bad umpiring decision.
    Though of course there is a difference between an honest error of judgment and ignorance/misinterpretation of the laws. The latter is harder to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Good team, especially when you consider those eleven men form half the male population of the NZ islands...
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Though of course there is a difference between an honest error of judgment and ignorance/misinterpretation of the laws. The latter is harder to stomach.

Absolutely.
    I thought that both Roy's dismissal and the 'extra' run were errors off judgment. From the links above:

“It’s a clear mistake … it’s an error of judgment,” Taufel told foxsports.com.au on Monday...

Taufel did defend the officials because that moment involved so many moving parts, and said it was unfair on the umpires and both teams to say this was the moment that decided the match...

Taufel praised experienced umpires Kumar Dharmasena and Marais Erasmus as “the best of the best”, and explained the difficulty of umpiring the specific situation.

“The difficulty you (umpires) have here is you’ve got to watch batsmen completing runs, then change focus and watch for the ball being picked up, and watch for the release (of the throw),” he said.

“You also have to watch where the batsmen are at that exact moment.”

The former umpire acknowledged the call “influenced the game”, but said it should not be viewed as costing New Zealand the match - and the tournament.

“It’s unfair on England, New Zealand and the umpires involved to say it decided the outcome,” Taufel said.

New Zealand’s heartbroken captain Kane Williamson agreed with that sentiment.

“It was a shame that the ball hit Stokes’ bat, but I just hope it doesn’t happen in moments like that,” Williamson said.

“Unfortunately that sort of thing happens from time to time. It’s a part of the game that we play.”

“I don’t wish to nitpick, just hope it never happens in such moments ever again,” he added.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Great stuff!

Those kiwis have a great sense of humour .

I have a soft spot for them as my Dad was in the Royal New Zealand Navy.
    Cheers,
    Neil.