closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket World Cup 2019

Cricket World Cup 2019

It was suggested to make a separate thread for the World Cup, so here it is for all the games over the next month and a half or so.

First up, go and watch the Stokes phenomenal catch and come back to the thread. Magnificent!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    watch the Stokes phenomenal catch
    https://twitter.com/Stokesy1966/stat...31130930728960

Last edited by Der Amf; 30th May 2019 at 17:23.

Simply amazing - he's basically horizontal, not able to look at the ball and the ball is behind him when he catches it. Catch of the tournament already sorted.

Well England romp home to 104 run win, bowling out SA in 40 overs. Absolutely brilliant in all 3 departments. England last year would have had a batting collapse, but Stokes was key to keeping it all together when we realised the pitch was not quite what was expected. Great unit performance!

Master
    A very satisfying performance. A year ago we would have taken that early loss of Bairstow badly.

And that catch. As good if not better than the one he took off Broad at Trent Bridge.

That 104 will come in useful if run difference comes into the equation.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

What a game, what a catch, what a performance. A great start. It bodes well for the next few weeks.

(Is now a good time to mention that I've got a ticket for the Final?) :D

First up, go and watch the Stokes phenomenal catch and come back to the thread. Magnificent!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/48467301

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    What a game, what a catch, what a performance. A great start. It bodes well for the next few weeks.

(Is now a good time to mention that I've got a ticket for the Final?) :D
    You lucky so and so!!! I wasn’t organised to get any tickets. My brother had Pakistan vs Sri Lanka but sold it back before offering me!

If you can’t make the final, I’ll gladly fill in

Lastly, called up Sky and for just the cricket it costs an extra £10 on our basic package a month. That’s the EC and Ashes sorted. Yay.

Craftsman
    Excellent start to the tournament, I was praying they wouldn't mess it up like against the Aussies in the warm up.
    I'm thinking Archer is a real find.

Craftsman
    Unfortunately I don't follow cricket like I use to but I keept an eye on it today. Great start by England, I think archer will have a big say for England. Considering the early jitters for England, I think they recovered brilliantly. I felt England were 25 runs short of a good score but what do I know . Great start to the tournament and I think England have got a few gears to go up. Semi final at the minimum.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

The Windies looking a bit spicy against Pakistan.
    i wonder how other teams will approach the bouncers?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    The Windies looking a bit spicy against Pakistan.
    i wonder how other teams will approach the bouncers?
    A bit of a panicked approach by Pakistan, and they folded a bit too easily for my liking once a few wickets fell.

Overall a typical performance by them - boom or bust. Shame though for all the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Excellent start to the tournament, I was praying they wouldn't mess it up like against the Aussies in the warm up.
    I'm thinking Archer is a real find.
    You're absolutely correct, but don't concern yourself about the warm up games, they meant nothing, and it was only 12 runs.

Archer is very much the real deal, and if Wood stays fit, we can open the bowling with genuine 90mph+ pace from each end. Stokes was other-worldly yesterday, not just that astonishing catch but also a very sharp run-out, and a good performance with the bat. He's growing into the talismanic all-rounder role which every successful England side seems to need - Botham, Flintoff, and now we've got one who's not only a gifted all-rounder, but angry and ginger as well.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Simply amazing - he's basically horizontal, not able to look at the ball and the ball is behind him when he catches it. Catch of the tournament already sorted.
    The picture in #2 is immediately after he's caught the ball and is his way down. His eyes were on the ball until the moment he caught it:

That does nothing to take away from quite how remarkable it was. Rather, IMO, it adds to it by demonstrating his determination and skill.

Sorry about the grainy screen shot.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The picture in #2 is immediately after he's caught the ball and is his way down. His eyes were on the ball until the moment he caught it:

That does nothing to take away from quite how remarkable it was. Rather, IMO, it adds to it by demonstrating his determination and skill.

Sorry about the grainy screen shot.
    I agree it’s even more impressive. Not a total fluke at all. Simply amazing!

A Sri Lanka batting collapse in progress. The 7th wicket was just starting to rebuild as well. Tougher wicket here in Cardiff, very green and inducing errors - could have a decent game if Sri Lanka can somehow get to 180 (as i type 8th wicket down, so 150 if super lucky...) and they bowl well at the top of the innings. Unlikely.

The sub continent teams should get better as the tournament progresses - not always easy in the first few games for them here in England.

Wohoo we game on today! Bangladesh looked really good - I was a bit worried they wouldn't get to 320/330 when neither of Mushfiqur or Shakib got to a 100, but they timed the acceleration perfectly. But I have to add, South Africa look woeful and I never thought I'd say it, but toothless too. Let's see how they get on, but not going to get anywhere near the semis if they don't improve.

It hasn't started well for South Africa. On paper, they look like a decent enough team, but on grass...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    It hasn't started well for South Africa. On paper, they look like a decent enough team, but on grass...
    On paper it’s a confused team as well - they have a balance problem and no real fix. Not sure why Miller came before Duminy either with it being so early in the innings.

Good win for Bangladesh, dark horses for the semi finals?

Master
    I got a ticket for Eng vs Ind at the end of the month in Brum... can’t wait!

I studied in Nottingham and spent many happy, carefree days at Trent Bridge. Just love the cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I got a ticket for Eng vs Ind at the end of the month in Brum... can’t wait!

I studied in Nottingham and spent many happy, carefree days at Trent Bridge. Just love the cricket
    Lucky you - that should be a cracker!

Even stevens I think at the moment with Pakistan after 24 overs. And Roy as I type has dropped an easy one!!!

Master
    Huge chase... this is going to be an interesting test

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Huge chase... this is going to be an interesting test
    This is tense!!! Buttler is amazing.

So an England side isn't as good as the English media make it out to be. Shambolic fielding.

In other equally surprising news smoking is bad for your health and the earth is not flat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanb741; 3rd June 2019 at 18:55.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So an England side isn't as good as the English media make it out to be. In other equally surprising news smoking is bad for your health and the earth is not flat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I don't think England did badly here - 2 hundreds and they still lost. Pakistan definitely upped their level massively. But yes, your comment is typical of the media, lol!

Pakistan were on a 11 game losing streak up to this game, including losing to us 4 times just before the WC!

Apprentice
    Pakistan to win.

Not sure if that was a great game of cricket or not between Sri Lanka vs Afghanistan, but for entertainment and tension it was right up there. Sri Lanka monumentally collapse from 134-1 to 200 odd all out, with the revised target down to 187 (DLS) because of rain. The only way there were going to win was if they took 10 wickets, and they somehow did that to win by 34 runs. A bit of an odd game and shame Afghanistan couldn't pull off a famous victory. But Sri Lanka's mid/lower order need to improve. Fast. Otherwise they will not pose a threat to any of the other teams in this tournament.

India finally make their appearance tomorrow against South Africa. I find it ridiculous that SA are on their third game and India are only beginning their campaign. I know scheduling must be tough, be nevertheless totally bizarre.

Also on the cards is Bangladesh vs New Zealand at the Oval for a D/N. I think this could be a good game - gold seats were available last time i checked at £60. A bit pricey me thinks and a chance of rain too.

Journeyman
    It's pulled me in so far. England v Pakistan and England v South Africa were engaging for different reasons as an England fan. Sri Lanka's collapse today made for a fascinating evening.

Looking forward to more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
    It's pulled me in so far. England v Pakistan and England v South Africa were engaging for different reasons as an England fan. Sri Lanka's collapse today made for a fascinating evening.

Looking forward to more of the same.
    There is still something to be said about low scoring games. Fascinating.

Blog Entries
    Not sure if that was a great game of cricket or not between Sri Lanka vs Afghanistan, but for entertainment and tension it was right up there. Sri Lanka monumentally collapse from 134-1 to 200 odd all out, with the revised target down to 187 (DLS) because of rain. The only way there were going to win was if they took 10 wickets, and they somehow did that to win by 34 runs. A bit of an odd game and shame Afghanistan couldn't pull off a famous victory. But Sri Lanka's mid/lower order need to improve. Fast. Otherwise they will not pose a threat to any of the other teams in this tournament.

India finally make their appearance tomorrow against South Africa. I find it ridiculous that SA are on their third game and India are only beginning their campaign. I know scheduling must be tough, be nevertheless totally bizarre.

Also on the cards is Bangladesh vs New Zealand at the Oval for a D/N. I think this could be a good game - gold seats were available last time i checked at £60. A bit pricey me thinks and a chance of rain too.
    Isn't that because the BCCI stipulated that the Indian players needed a minimum of 15 days recovery after the end of the IPL and World cup start......

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/c...ate-1.64365651

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Isn't that because the BCCI stipulated that the Indian players needed a minimum of 15 days recovery after the end of the IPL and World cup start......

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/c...ate-1.64365651
    I’ve been trying to figure this out with no success, thank you!

Not sure if entering a tournament this late is a good or bad thing though. South Africa will have the bit between their teeth.

SA to bat first. They will need a very good total if they want to defend this target.

Wohoo - back to some cricket. A bit of a farce this weather nonsense. There should be a contingency day for each match. As far as I can tell we don't have one because the scheduling is so cramped - the ICC wants to minimise the days with 2 matches as well as dead days with no matches - ironic when we've lost 3 days days so far (joint record for a CWC...)

I was also asked my opinion on the 'zinger' bails not dropping. I've copied it here for anyone who's interested.

There are potentially 3 modes of 'failure' as to why this happens -

1. the 'zinger' bails are heavier
    2. the groove they sit in are deeper to accommodate them
    3. the wickets themselves are heavier to take the weight better or they are banged in deeper and so more 'stuck'.

I think it is most likely a combination of the 3, but that isn't in my mind the right question to be asking. There are 2 deeper philosophical points we should be considering -

1. Do we even need bails anymore?
    2. Is it actually a bad thing that more 'effort' at times may be required to knock the bails down?

On the first - the bails falling have been the traditional method for the umpire to have a visual confirmation that the wickets were indeed hit - electronic wickets in theory remove the need of this. However I'd argue that no bails removes quite a lot of drama and so I believe bails are still necessary.

On the second - we have never defined how much force should be required to knock the bails off. Simply 'touching' should not be enough to send a batsman back to the pavilion. This is the core of the problem we need to solve. I'm actually ok with needing a bit more 'oomph' to remove the bails.

This does not exonerate the 'zinger' bails however. The most bizarre observation that I've seen is a dismissal by Archer. He bowled out the batsman, with the ball clipping the top of the wicket (bails fell), the ball then flew and cleared the boundary rope! It was out no problem, but I've never seen anything like that, not even a bounce, just straight over for a 'six'! Such forces means something must be wrong somewhere!

I wonder if the electrical connection at the base of the stumps (for stump-cam & lights) is somehow helping the stumps stay in the ground as well. More than the previous ‘stump-cam only’ system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I wonder if the electrical connection at the base of the stumps (for stump-cam & lights) is somehow helping the stumps stay in the ground as well. More than the previous ‘stump-cam only’ system.
    Yes I think it is a contributor. Basically it's not just the bails.

What on earth is happening to Australia??? They were 146-0 after 22 overs and bowled out for 307 with an over to spare. Fantastic bowling by Amir, but even then, lots to worry about going forward - even if they win this game. Pakistan are a confidence team and after the terrible start, they will be buoyed when they come out to bat.

Extraordinary - 397, with 25 sixes, Morgan rampant and to think we started relatively slowly with a watchful Bairstow. Morgan after being dropped scored 120 of 46 balls!!!!!!! Ali then smashes 31 in no time and what an end. Magnificent!

Very cagey stuff from Morgan there.....

Master
    Outstanding batting. Looking forward to seeing how our bowlers perform now.

Shame I had Khan in my fantasy league team.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Very cagey stuff from Morgan there.....
    followed by a middle order collapse..

I've been quite impressed by the Afghan players. Determined and with some skill.

What is the general consensus regarding this Friday against Sri Lanka? I can't see it being another Afghanistan but fingers crossed a reasonably comfortable win?

Oh, and very sorry, forgot to say, hello everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    What is the general consensus regarding this Friday against Sri Lanka? I can't see it being another Afghanistan but fingers crossed a reasonably comfortable win?
    It should be a comfortable win - this isn't the best Sri Lanka team at the moment. They threw away a good start against Australia in the chase, so they do have some grit but just not good enough. Set a high score against them and should be fine.

It should be a comfortable win - this isn't the best Sri Lanka team at the moment. They threw away a good start against Australia in the chase, so they do have some grit but just not good enough. Set a high score against them and should be fine.
    Thanks, I'm a million miles from being an expert or true fan, but my interest is slowly and surely building.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Thanks, I'm a million miles from being an expert or true fan, but my interest is slowly and surely building.
    It's been a slow burner of the world cup with 4 good teams and 5 not as good. Today is a key clash and the Australia versus Bangladesh match. If SA and Bangladesh win, then it blows the tournament wide open. Both definitely something that could happen.

In the meantime a nice little piece by the Guardian reviewing the first half of the WC. I agree with most https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-halfway-stage

It's been a slow burner of the world cup with 4 good teams and 5 not as good. Today is a key clash and the Australia versus Bangladesh match. If SA and Bangladesh win, then it blows the tournament wide open. Both definitely something that could happen.

In the meantime a nice little piece by the Guardian reviewing the first half of the WC. I agree with most https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-halfway-stage
    Cheers for that, I find the Guardian very good for sports coverage, they seem to realise there is actually a world outside of football.

Master
    I was going to say that SA have had it unless Tahir can work some magic. However NZ seem to be having a wobble. This could be an exciting finish.

I'm expecting Aus vs Bangla to be a good one too.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    I was going to say that SA have had it unless Tahir can work some magic. However NZ seem to be having a wobble. This could be an exciting finish.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    I’m torn now between this game and the Spain -Belgium U21 s game.
    Either way, the sofa will be busy for a couple of hours .

Master
    That was close. Edge of seat stuff. Great innings from Williamson.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Hope so, I'm off to Trent Bridge Inn the morning