closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Uber Tipping US

Uber Tipping US

I'm off to the US in a couple of weeks and I'm advised that from hotel to site (or into town (Dallas) in the evenings) it's uber.

There's no uber where I am but I've used it a couple of times in Manchester.

I need to confess that I love travelling and working in the US but I hate tipping with a passion. I'm not stingy - I just don't like it as a mechanism. If something costs $10, charge me $10. Don't charge me $8 and leave me trying to work out if I should pay $9, $9.60, $10 or somewhere in between. I hate it because I'm always convinced I've got it wrong, either up or down.

One of the things I like about uber here is that it's all done through the app and there's no working out what the tip is, wondering if I've got the right coins etc...

And then I heard that tips are possible/expected in the US.

I know I'm making too much of this and should really be on Mumsnet or an equivalent where blokes can make big issues out of small things but...

What's the score with uber tipping in the US? Expected? %? through the app or in cash? Has anyone ever been flogged to death for getting it wrong?

The app lets you decide how much to tip.

I always do a 10-15% tip for Uber in Houston. Whatever my brain calculates that at to the nearest $...

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Just pay the Uber fare via the app and don't add on a tip. Like you, I hate the tipping culture. Even the state taxes get on my nerves. I go to buy something for $50 but actually it isn't $50. What's that all about?

Craftsman
    Tipping is expected when using Uber in the US but just tip via the app, it comes up and gives you an option of whether you'd like to tip 5 / 10 / 15 / 20%.

Edit: That could be the Lyft app actually but fairly sure Uber is exactly the same.
    Last edited by Gerald Genta; 30th May 2019 at 17:22.

I do not like or agree with tipping. Yes I am tight but I see it that employers/businesses should pay employees the right salary and not make customers cover the shortfall.

Master
    That's fine but in the US they don't. Especially in service industries.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I do not like or agree with tipping. Yes I am tight but I see it that employers/businesses should pay employees the right salary and not make customers cover the shortfall.
    That’s fine, but hopefully you still respect the culture you’ve chosen to visit by choosing to tip.

Or for your sake I hope you don’t visit a restaurant twice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    That's fine but in the US they don't. Especially in service industries.
    I found it very confusing earlier in the month. In a restaurant like pizza express you tip 20%, in the equivalent of say pizza hut you just tip about $3 regardless of bill, and at McDonald's you don't tip them a cent. Even my American host couldn't justify the disoarity, just saying its what you do, rather than why.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    That’s fine, but hopefully you still respect the culture you’ve chosen to visit by choosing to tip.

Or for your sake I hope you don’t visit a restaurant twice.
    Not that I have been many places, but I always respect the local culture and will tip (if unavoidable).

What would happen if you have only $100 and the bill is $100 without the tip? What would the restaurant do?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Not that I have been many places, but I always respect the local culture and will tip (if unavoidable).

What would happen if you have only $100 and the bill is $100 without the tip? What would the restaurant do?
    They can't do a thing, other than ask themselves why you racked up a $100 bill instead of an $80 bill allowing you to tip.

The tip system in the US is utterly absurd (especially when the link offered above suggests you tip 10% if you were not satisfied) but it is what it is. Just factor in 20% into what you can afford to order.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Just pay the Uber fare via the app and don't add on a tip. Like you, I hate the tipping culture. Even the state taxes get on my nerves. I go to buy something for $50 but actually it isn't $50. What's that all about?
    State taxes probably average around 5% with some states charging nil. Easy to work out wherever you are.

We pay a hidden 20% VAT on most stuff - what's that about?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    State taxes probably average around 5% with some states charging nil. Easy to work out wherever you are.

We pay a hidden 20% VAT on most stuff - what's that about?
    What I mean is that the price you see on the ticket here and across Europe is the price you pay which isn't the case in the US. VAT isn't hidden because we all know it's there and tourists are made aware so they can claim it back.

I'm not anti-US, I just don't like their local taxes, tipping culture or President.

Just give the person who.provoded you with the service what you think is appropriate. Good service 20%. Poor service a dollar bill. Look at what you could have won. I knew what to do but choose not to.....
    I'm happy to give a large tip but not for shit service. Happy to make the point rather than leave nothing and appear ignorant of the system.

Minimum wage doesn't apply in the great USA. Could be your tèenager working the table or cab?

Reward as appropriate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post

Minimum wage doesn't apply in the great USA.
    Yes it does.

Grand Master
    I don't get tips in my job,or a bonus for that matter.Dont understand why some do tbh.You get the hourly rate for the work your employed to do.

Our top management and directors get bonuses and share packages out of the hard work of the employees (openly published in thick company bro here showing annual figures!),doesn't filter down.

I guess they feel we should be happy to have a job hey.

So "tips", Just pay the proper wage at the outset for the person to be able to live,and here's where the tip then becomes a "bonus".
    Last edited by P9CLY; 1st June 2019 at 16:52.

On the subject of tipping.....can someone advise about cruise tipping.
    Me and the wife are doing a Canada and East coast of America cruise next year for our 25th.
    We're told they automatically add on to your bill which is paid at the end of the cruise a set amount per person per day for tips? Being new to cruising i find it a bit odd that I'll be charged an extra 500 quid for them to supply me a service I've already paid for. I'm assuming you can swerve this and tip where you find it appropriate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    On the subject of tipping.....can someone advise about cruise tipping.
    Me and the wife are doing a Canada and East coast of America cruise next year for our 25th.
    We're told they automatically add on to your bill which is paid at the end of the cruise a set amount per person per day for tips? Being new to cruising i find it a bit odd that I'll be charged an extra 500 quid for them to supply me a service I've already paid for. I'm assuming you can swerve this and tip where you find it appropriate?
    You can go down to reception and ask to have tips taken off and then you pay who you want personally. Generally the room stewards work their backsides off so we always tip at least the recommended amount plus a bit more. If you have set dining and the same waiter and assistant every night then they normally deserve good tips as they work very hard. Unfortunately the cruise companies should pay these employees decent amounts but they don’t so they need tips to earn a living. You’ll see how hard they work when you’re there. It’s a long debated issue but hasn’t changed. If you want to learn more about cruising go to cruise critic (it’s the trip advisor for cruising). You’ll be able to find out all you want to know and even find a roll call for your specific cruise if you want to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I don't get tips in my job,or a bonus for that matter.Dont understand why some do tbh.You get the hourly rate for the work your employed to do.

Our top management and directors get bonuses and share packages out of the hard work of the employees (openly published in thick company annual figures!),doesn't filter down.

I guess they feel we should be happy to have a job hey.

So "tips", Just pay the proper wage at the outset for the person to be able to live,and here's where the tip then becomes a "bonus".
    But in this case the OP is specifically talking about taxi drivers and taxi drivers don’t get an hourly wage.
    We have a saying in the trade, ‘if the wheels are turning, you’re earning’, so obviously the opposite is also true. We don’t earn a penny while we are parked up waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    But in this case the OP is specifically talking about taxi drivers and taxi drivers don’t get an hourly wage.
    We have a saying in the trade, ‘if the wheels are turning, you’re earning’, so obviously the opposite is also true. We don’t earn a penny while we are parked up waiting.
    Same principle, make the fares higher so a living wage is achievable.

Master

Uber Tipping US

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Same principle, make the fares higher so a living wage is achievable.
    Clearly you know nothing of the taxi trade. We had our first meter increase in 7 years in January of this year. We had nothing but complaints from customers following the rise.
    People think taxis are expensive as it is, if we increased the meter fare enough to provide us with an acceptable wage after our running costs based on a 40 hour week, we would have to raise our fares that high we wouldn’t get any custom.

Clearly you know nothing of the taxi trade. We had our first meter increase in 7 years in January of this year. We had nothing but complaints from customers following the rise.
    People think taxis are expensive as it is, if we increased the meter fare enough to provide us with an acceptable wage after our running costs based on a 40 hour week, we would have to raise our fares that high we wouldn’t get any custom.
    People might think fares are expensive but they still tip and drivers seem to expect one.

They’re only not even more expensive because of the tipping culture. Just have an inclusive price like most businesses do and be done with them.

I'm not being inflammatory but why is it a thing that I would or should tip a Taxi?
    I call your firm and ask you to pick me up ay point A and drop me at point B. I pay you your going rate to do so. My expectation of that's transaction is that I get to my destination and you picked me up when you say you were going to. My other expectation is that I get there safely
    Now other than that what exactly am I paying a tip for......the fact that you're not driving constantly and spinning the meter isn't my concern. You charged me a set rate for the journey I requested.

10% of the time my workshop isnt busy....should I be asking for tips from every other customer on the basis that I've not earned enough because I'm not spinning the spanners?
    As I said I'm not being inflammatory but I don't understand the tipping culture based on your last post.

Craftsman
    I tip 15% - 20% in the USA and Canada, I tend to tip 10-15% in the UK and Europe I dont have a problem with it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I'm not being inflammatory but why is it a thing that I would or should tip a Taxi?
    I call your firm and ask you to pick me up ay point A and drop me at point B. I pay you your going rate to do so. My expectation of that's transaction is that I get to my destination and you picked me up when you say you were going to. My other expectation is that I get there safely
    Now other than that what exactly am I paying a tip for......the fact that you're not driving constantly and spinning the meter isn't my concern. You charged me a set rate for the journey I requested.

10% of the time my workshop isnt busy....should I be asking for tips from every other customer on the basis that I've not earned enough because I'm not spinning the spanners?
    As I said I'm not being inflammatory but I don't understand the tipping culture based on your last post.
    Then you have completely misunderstood me. I don’t expect a tip, if I get one it’s a bonus.
    I simply gave my opinion on why people tip taxi drivers, I certainly don’t think it’s obligatory.

Then you have completely misunderstood me. I don’t expect a tip, if I get one it’s a bonus.
    I simply gave my opinion on why people tip taxi drivers, I certainly don’t think it’s obligatory.
    Then I have misunderstood, apologies.

In restaurants in the US I tip 20% for superb service (and it usually is) and about 10% otherwise. It also depends where you are.

People in the catering business depend on tips as the minimum wage is $8.46 in Fla. Different story in California where the minimum wage is $12.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I earn £20k a year so I can easily afford to tip. I can also afford to put something in the food bank when I visit the supermarket. It's just about helping your often exploited fellow man/woman. I make sure the staff are getting the tip, so it's always cash. I wish tipping wasn’t necessary, but there will always be greedy management/shareholders creaming off the top.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    People might think fares are expensive but they still tip and drivers seem to expect one.

They’re only not even more expensive because of the tipping culture. Just have an inclusive price like most businesses do and be done with them.
    No we, or certainly I don’t, EXPECT a tip, but it is nice when you get one and not everyone tips I can assure you.
    It also depends on the circumstances whether or not I accept a tip. If it’s someone who appears to be doing ok financially then I’ll accept a tip if it’s given. Someone who needs it more than I, then I won’t.
    I had a fare a few weeks ago, she is a lovely lady who I have carried on numerous occasions and she always tips. On this occasion my boot was full with her Dunelm (in other words big heavy objects) shopping and at the end of the journey she offered me £15 for a £7 fare because she knew she was going to have to ask me for my help to get it up to her flat.
    I flatly refused the extra and just took the £7 because I was only too glad to help her out when she needed it and that it gave me a chance to show my gratitude for her custom and tips.
    It’s service like that that people generally give a tip for. Us doing over and above what we are legally obliged to.

Grand Master
    And I suppose the same taxi drivers will declare every penny they receive!,I doubt that.

So their hourly rate will be quite nice hey.But that's another subject and one we'd all like to take advantage of no doubt........unless like most your PAYE.

And having said the above those that do declare it all will stand up and be counted,those who don't won't.

I don't tip taxi drivers.

I do and have always tipped on all the cruises and most restaurants we been to,those I haven't were because I felt it wasn't worth a tip and/or the price of the meal anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I earn £20k a year so I can easily afford to tip. I can also afford to put something in the food bank when I visit the supermarket. It's just about helping your often exploited fellow man/woman. I make sure the staff are getting the tip, so it's always cash. I wish tipping wasn’t necessary, but there will always be greedy management/shareholders creaming off the top.
    You wouldnt be able to afford to if you lived down south!!!

Or in the North East to be perfectly honest

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    You wouldnt be able to afford to if you lived down south!!!