closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold- any investors?

Gold- any investors?

If so where do you buy from?
    There appears to be many online platforms which of course want 30-40% more per gram than the current selling price. Everything I'm reading over the past few months seems to suggest it might possibly be a great time to invest.....any experience?

Edit.....yes buying physical gold and hold it yourself.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 29th May 2019 at 20:00.

Master
    Hatton garden metals are well regarded if you wish to buy physical gold and hold it yourself. I used them to buy, and later sell, gold coins. Very efficient it was.

If it’s bullion or gold stored somewhere else, I don’t know, sorry.

Master
    Do you want to hold yourself? If yes, the royal mint is actually pretty good.
    If not, then Gold Bullion Securities is one option, and Bullionvault another.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Everything I'm reading over the past few months seems to suggest it might possibly be a great time to invest?
    What have you read?

Looking at a gold chart you can see that it has not been able to break past £1000 in the past 5 years. The highest was £1048 and it is £1008 today. The 15 year high is £1149.

Yes hold it myself

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    What have you read?

Looking at a gold chart you can see that it has not been able to break past £1000 in the past 5 years. The highest was £1048 and it is £1008 today. The 15 year high is £1149.
    With brexit running mock tangible investments seem obvious seeing as gold is invested globally and not just at home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    What have you read?

The fifteen year low is £200, so 5.7x increase is better than Rolex :-)

In seriousness it's a hedge - can perform well when other assets are crashing, so can be a good stabilising aspect to a portfolio. But everyone's needs are different and beliefs different, so may not suit for all.

Master
    Buying shares in gold mining companies is also very good. When the price of gold goes up, the share prices rocket as do the dividends.

As always, don't be a plonker and buy at the top of the curve, obvious advice but millions still do it.

One of the better options i've used are gold sovereigns from Atkinsons bullion dealers, they are reliable and offer a good selection of bullion coins at excellent prices.

Master
    Yes a moderate holder, though wouldn't be buying at the moment

Gold Bullion Securities (GBS) can be held in ISA.

If you want exposure to physical then recommend Bullionvault.

Also consider exposure to miners - Exchange Traded Funds GDX and GDXJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    One of the better options i've used are gold sovereigns from Atkinsons bullion dealers, they are reliable and offer a good selection of bullion coins at excellent prices.
    Paul Atkinson is a brilliant guy to deal with.

When I have looked into investing in gold - there are 3 main options - Physical, gold 'vaults' and mining shares. Can't help you with the mining but some suggestions have been made previously.

If you want to invest say £2K buy some coins or bars - sovs are good. As I said earlier buy the bullion for the cheapest and closest to spot price - Hatton Garden Metals or Atkinsons are completely trusted in the bullion field and if buy their cheapest loose 2019 Sovs/Brittanias or used Sovs (they range from Victorian to Modern) you simply can't go wrong.

If you want to invest larger amounts say £20K (obviously you probably don't want that sitting at home) look at gold 'vaults' i have used BullionVault and Goldmoney before - both companies have good reputations in the industry.

Remember if you pay too much say 15% over spot you will need the gold price to rise 15% to break even (slightly over simplified but you get the point)..So if you just want gold bullion at all costs avoid paying over the odds for smart presentation boxes and limited editions (Royal Mint).
    Last edited by vulcangascompany; 30th May 2019 at 10:04.

Master
    Used goldmoney 10 years ago. It was good.

Master

Craftsman
    Safest bet is buying physical as long as you have a holding which is insurance approved.

If buying physical then there will be a different price with and without a certificate.

Buy at the right price and it is the Safest commodity to invest in.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

a guy I work with showed me a chart last night showing the price rose 7% last month - that's pretty healthy - I buy coins and lock them away as and when prices are good enough to speculate - gut feel says price will continue to rise a little - then calm down when Trump and Co and Brexit sorts itself

I’m still waiting for the price to drop to £800 an ounce again...I could be waiting a while. Had a healthy collection of krugerrands which I sadly lost my bottle on and sold and now want more. Like buying Rolex, wish I could go back and buy more at a favourable price!

Craftsman
    UK Sovereigns and Britannias are CGT free and a good option for longer term holding if the price rises significantly.

There is a good thread on pistonheads why gold is not a good long term investment (as part of a defensive strategy in a large investment portfolio then maybe holding a small amount but otherwise... ).

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1735735&i=0

Master
    Cheapest gold is Baird & Co London. I use them as a price checker for everyone else and have bought from them many times.
    You can also go and pick up pieces from them. www.bairdmint.com

Master
    Oh, and remember, gold is a repository rather than active investment. But, it seems there's a recession coming...

Master
    Goldmoney is halfing its buy fees today as a special offer.

Why....?

At a slight tangent to this, if I were to buy 1 Troy oz which at today’s prices is circa £1100. How much would I expect to receive if I were to sell it straight away to a scrap dealer? Would it be the £1067 which is listed as today’s gold price or less than that?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    At a slight tangent to this, if I were to buy 1 Troy oz which at today’s prices is circa £1100. How much would I expect to receive if I were to sell it straight away to a scrap dealer? Would it be the £1067 which is listed as today’s gold price or less than that?
    I was always under the impression the margin was around 5% over or 5% below spot whether you were buying or selling...at least it used to be with Hatton garden metals when I was buying a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for physically holding the stuff, I recommend a read. or joining the forum below, I have learned a lot, had some good deals and heads up on barging buys
    https://thesilverforum.com/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Goldmoney is halfing its buy fees today as a special offer.
    Not in the UK, they hold the bullion, never heard of them, some horrific Trustpilot reviews....feck that!
    Last edited by 33JS; 19th June 2019 at 07:57.

Master
    One other point to remember if you elect to buy into goldmines is that your profit is not only dependant on the price of gold rising which should give you a very good dividend as well as an increase in share price, but the currency variations also play an important effect.

During the 1980s I bought into an Australian mine and although the price of gold went up, the Australian currency fluctuations wiped the profit out.

I made a really good profit in the end, even after after taking inflation into account, but it took over 10 years. Just remember shares are for investment and not the usual casual flipping. Only do it if you can forget about the money in the short term.

Gold had a great day today - up $30, in 8 weeks a rise of $110 - it might be the start of interesting shiny times..

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Gold had a great day today - up $30, in 8 weeks a rise of $110 - it might be the start of interesting shiny times..
    Luckily for me, I bought an ounce yesterday as a bit of a novelty investment.

IMG_1340.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Luckily for me, I bought an ounce yesterday as a bit of a novelty investment.

IMG_1340.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Best not give up the day job though on that massive quick profit

In true Homer Simpson fashion, I may cash out and spend the profits on a top level car valet...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Not in the UK, they hold the bullion, never heard of them, some horrific Trustpilot reviews....feck that!
    I used them myself 10 years ago with no problems. Yes they hold the bullion in a vault of of your choice across various countries,, yes you can ask for it to be delivered.

They are extremely well known.

Master

Since the last update on this thread, gold currently stands at £1240 an ounce. Quite a rise!

Craftsman
    I have shares in 2 gold miners both have performed well over the past couple of months. Hopefully $1500 can be successful breached, onwards and upwards.

Master
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but would you go bullion or coins?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pembers View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but would you go bullion or coins?
    In my opinion: Coins, specifically UK VAT-free and CGT-free bullion coins. That is to say Sovereigns, Britannias, and similar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    In my opinion: Coins, specifically UK VAT-free and CGT-free bullion coins. That is to say Sovereigns, Britannias, and similar.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    👍

Craftsman
    Another vote for coins. I’ve bought my daughter a sovereign every year from birth, usually try and pay around £250. I might have to up my budget for next year.

Balls, wish I'd have gone with what I'd read now and got a bit more....oh well!

Been buying gold bullion and silver coins since $1050/$15 an oz simply as a hedge against currency fluctuations. There’s an anecdote that the price of gold never moves, only the currencies it’s priced in. Either way the great great J P Morgan stated that gold is money, everything else is debt (paraphrasing)

Master
    I found goldmoney to have cheaper fees and spread than just about anything and you can buy and sell with a countdown timer for commit whilst watching the Nymex . Was a while back though.

Craftsman
    My gold crowns just fell out, just wondering how much that’s worth.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 2nd September 2019 at 19:12.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jambobbyb View Post
    I do a lot in bullion but mainly buy from auction and tend to aim for Victorian sovereigns. Anyone wanting gold I highly recommend the sovereign.
    Not my link but quite helpful all those dealers are trusted I may add.
    https://ukgoldcompare.herokuapp.com/
    Oh very useful! Thanks for that link.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by damperman View Post
    My gold crowns just fell out, just wondering how much that’s worth.

About £38 a gram atm.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    It's not just gold that's rising Silver has been making small moderate gains, and currently sits around £14.08 an ounce , could be a very good time to stock up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    About £38 a gram atm.
    It’s worth keeping then. I’ll lock it in the safe.