closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Rolex?

Master

Alternatives to Rolex?

So I was just wondering what recommendations people have. People with actual long term experience of owning watches from brands in the Rolex price range. Another thread at the moment is full of bad JLC experiences with high service costs and lack of parts for independents. This often results in people turning to Rolex, more independents (although probably that number is reducing) and comparatively reasonable serving costs. It may sound like a pipedream but over the next few years I want a small collection of watches that I keep forever and ever.

I just love the JLC and IWC designs but long term ownership looks shaky. Any good as well as bad experiences? Any other brands people have enjoyed dealing with at service time?

I'd be careful around here posting wild and reckless ideas like that!

For me the alternatives I like are a lot more money than Rolex like VC, Blancpain or AP

I think your looking at it all wrong,iwc and jlc are ones you should be keeping has they’ll lose loads if you buy new .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I think your looking at it all wrong,iwc and jlc are ones you should be keeping has they’ll lose loads if you buy new .

Yes I would be looking at keeping. But not if aftersales care is shocking for the 50 odd years I want to own the watch!

Non of us have a crystal ball. Whilst Rolex currently seem to have the most professional/customer friendly service model and others fall short in comparison, there’s no guarantee that this will continue.

If you’re going to keep your watches indefinitely, just buy the ones you like and deal with the servicing issues when the need arises.

I bought a pre-owned 2005 Reverso Grande Reserve in 2007. Sent it for service in October 2013 and was told it may take 15 weeks. Had the watch back in 7 weeks, cost of service was £770. No problems at all.

IIRC the watch was serviced in Switzerland, rather than the UK service centre.

The JLC website now allows you to type in a model number and it will give an indication of service costs for that particular model.

Blog Entries
    As a Rolex owner, You may want to look at Zenith

I have a Zenith or two and had nothing but excellent personal after sales service from Stuart Lord service manager of LVMH - by phone and email. Even got my unstamped warranty card stamped after he checked their records of sale to ensure guarantee work gets covered.

Omega and Breitling UK are always good in my experience - send direct to them to avoid AD hassles.

There are other brands - but these are ones in my experience I would recommend for after sales care.

Patek are good - but take ages to get back - 3 or 4 months maybe.

If you have a collection of watches then they won't all need a service at the same time anyway. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the move to in-house movements has meant that more watches are "return to manufacturer" now than ETA based for the big brands.

JLC now have an 8 year warranty I believe. I would certainly look at Blancpain as a brand.

I have had great customer service from Zenith and outstanding customer service from Hublot. Schofield were also superb so there is plenty of choice once you have left the "safety" of Rolex in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    As a Rolex owner, You may want to look at Zenith

I have a Zenith or two and had nothing but excellent personal after sales service from Stuart Lord service manager of LVMH - by phone and email. Even got my unstamped warranty card stamped after he checked their records of sale to ensure guarantee work gets covered.

Omega and Breitling UK are always good in my experience - send direct to them to avoid AD hassles.

There are other brands - but these are ones in my experience I would recommend for after sales care.

Patek are good - but take ages to get back - 3 or 4 months maybe.
    I agree, I also own some Rolex models but my favourite brand is Zenith for the reasons above.

Omega,Panerai, JLC and IWC are obvious candidates. Zenith as someone else mentioned and some Breitling models too.If you want to own these watches, long term you really need to be sure that you like them enough.There are quite a few horror stories about Richemont service and they all cannot be wrong but many have had good experiences too. So make of that what you will. Longines also has some fine watches and then there are some off the beaten track. As well some other brands which would be more expensive if bought new at retail price but would fall in Rolex range with discount or bought preowned. Blancpain, Bruguet, VC would be amongst them. Instead of a brand, I would suggest look at what particular models you like.

Master
    The swatch group seem ok, at least in my experience. That’s Omega and a whole host of others such as Blancpaine and GO. Based in Southampton. Zenith is good.
    And I think any collector should have one Rolex.......

Master
    I’m not sure what the shaky issue is with IWC? Unless it’s depreciation?
    To my mind like with cars there’s two ways of looking at it. Either you go for a car with a proud record of low depreciation and nod at your neighbour as you tell him this fact . Or one day you look at that upstart neighbour driving a Bentley Flying Spur. How could he possibly afford something like that ? Well of course depreciation.
    Omega make very high spec watches pushing movement tech . They are cheaper than Rolex and some prefer them. Zenith produce watches in low numbers with very high standards of workmanship. IWC produce in one year approx a 40th of Rolex’s production and have a big fanbase , exceeding their production for sure.
    Is a Breguet type xx better case finished than a Daytona ? Probably yes. Is it as expensive to buy 2nd hand? You already know the answer to that

Would a purchase of an Ed White Speedmaster 3 or 4 years back been a good buy?
    What’s probably the lowest priced “Classic Swiss Watch”? Still probably a Speedmaster I’d say.
    Is the recent Seamaster SMP pushing Rolex ?

So much stuff out there , Rolex has its place in a collection but so do loads of other brands.
    I’d go to a Watches of Switzerland and try stuff on.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 29th May 2019 at 18:26.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Instead of a brand, I would suggest look at what particular models you like.
    +1 My advice would be this,
    Then investigate the ins and outs of long term ownership, durability and servicing of "Brand X".

They are much better watches out there than Rolex, most mentioned already.

If you take out the value argument I would imagine Rolex would be less popular. Too many people buying as investments not to enjoy watches!! Not what the hobby should be about

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was looking at watches today wearing my IWC,I didn’t see anything I wanted to replace it with.

I liked the look of some of the Bremont but they where about 3 times the thickness and brick like.
    Rolex didn’t grab me in fact nothing did.

This is relatively easy to service, it’s not a status symbol I just like it a lot.
    It’s very functional and looks good to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I was looking at watches today wearing my IWC,I didn’t see anything I wanted to replace it with.

I liked the look of some of the Bremont but they where about 3 times the thickness and brick like.
    Rolex didn’t grab me in fact nothing did.

This is relatively easy to service, it’s not a status symbol I just like it a lot.
    It’s very functional and looks good to me.

Yeah I mean that is just lovely.

Re the choosing the type of watch first, then choosing the brand. Yes I think I agree with you all. There are just some brands that smash it with design language, IWC being one of them. I think I would like to always have 1 Rolex but that is probably enough for me. They are compelling for someone like me that wants to try a few different watches but not very interested in losing a load on each transaction. Buy used and sell used i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Great choice and a lovely IWC - I had the white dial version. They look great, understated, different and mine was ETA based so easy to service too (the OPs concern)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Great choice and a lovely IWC - I had the white dial version. They look great, understated, different and mine was ETA based so easy to service too (the OPs concern)
    True, an ETA based IWC does appeal. Really like the newest Aquatimer model.

Have also heard of someones experience though when they took a Mark XV to an independent who wouldnt service it due to all the modification and decoration IWC put on the watch. But I don't think IWC have done that to their watches for a good few years; maybe the Mark XV was the last one like that even.

10 years in and still in my collection. Never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    +1 My advice would be this,
    Then investigate the ins and outs of long term ownership, durability and servicing of "Brand X".
    I’d also agree go for the watch itself . If you buy at the right price you might not even worry about depreciation. Not that one should worry about depreciation anyway

Get a Grand Seiko..They don't have the name prestige as a Rolex but fit and finish is outstanding. Probably better than a Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I’d also agree go for the watch itself . If you buy at the right price you might not even worry about depreciation. Not that one should worry about depreciation anyway
    I never expected mine to appreciate,I bought it as I like it.
    I can see why Rolex owners keep going on about it,that would ruin my enjoyment though.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    They are much better watches out there than Rolex, most mentioned already.

If you take out the value argument I would imagine Rolex would be less popular. Too many people buying as investments not to enjoy watches!! Not what the hobby should be about
    What is wrong with potentially buying a watch you like that might also turn out to be a good future investment?.
    I get tired of some people saying " Investement" when buying a certain brand invariably Rolex is a dirty word.I have several Rolex subs all bought because I wanted them,also being aware of how the same have increased in £s over the years I've been interested in watches,so for that reason too I've decided to put some money into those specific watches,but rest assured I bought them to wear and enjoy owning and not simply as a dirty investement,in fact I'd go as far to say most of mine probably won't do anything close to a good Investement as all were bought because I quite simply liked the watch.
    Id be curious re your statement about some buying as an Investement and not enjoying their watches!,do you know these people personally?,because I don't know the reasons why anyone on here buys a specific watch or brand.......

Buy a Rolex Sub tho.........it's a damn fine Investement 😉

Master
    Grand Seiko. Quartz for zero future hassle, spring drive for the dog's b*ll*x.

Next question.

Master
    Gallet do a 10 year full service Warranty - and they say its designed to last 100 years - what more could you want

https://galletwatch.com/jim_clark_le...on_chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Grand Seiko. Quartz for zero future hassle, spring drive for the dog's b*ll*x.

Next question.
    Does Citizen not have a better spec and warranty than Grand Seiko?

Master
    Rolex are nice looking, built like a victorian outdoor you know what, are very good time keepers and benefit from a good service back up.

That's why most people like them.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Does Citizen not have a better spec and warranty than Grand Seiko?
    Ahhhh! You terrible troll! Ha ha. I love Citizen, and their eco-drive is great - don’t knock them. Great watches for their price but not really in line with the OP’s interests, me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Ahhhh! You terrible troll! Ha ha. I love Citizen, and their eco-drive is great - don’t knock them. Great watches for their price but not really in line with the OP’s interests, me thinks

No sorry I was referring to the Chronomaster. Citizen have a 5 year warranty and the Chronomaster has a perpetual calendar and is more accurate than the Grand Seiko. It also has the same quality polishing as Grand Seiko use.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Might help the op, might not. Lol

https://youtu.be/BCvqaUdReGc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Might help the op, might not. Lol

https://youtu.be/BCvqaUdReGc
    Haha I watched that last night. That Ingenieur... stunning. Seen it before on a TZ and Christopher Ward member called Downer, could even be his watch as I think he was looking at selling.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    It may sound like a pipedream but over the next few years I want a small collection of watches that I keep forever and ever.
    Yes I would be looking at keeping. But not if aftersales care is shocking for the 50 odd years I want to own the watch!
    I think I would like to always have 1 Rolex but that is probably enough for me. They are compelling for someone like me that wants to try a few different watches but not very interested in losing a load on each transaction. Buy used and sell used i guess!

Master
    Of course, there’s a strong possibility that in fifty years time, mechanical watches will be largely forgotten, another marginally interesting relic from the past.
    Like cars with mechanical engines!

Master
    Just a series of quotes... I think you may be getting at me contradicting myself? If so, I am not. I want to try a few different watches and then settle on a small collection that I don't change.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

You shouldn’t EVER even consider anything but a Rolex.

You’ll need to pool all your cash to buy a couple of Datejusts (one of which MUST be two-tone) or a Cellini. This will prove you’re not re-selling them to grey (as you’d lose a packet) so that you are allowed on the ladder at your AD for a stainless sports model.

This won’t leave you any cash for any other brand so why bother looking?

Just pop to your local AD, take a bottle of champagne for the salesperson for the sheer privilege of even looking in the window and they’ll take your money for a watch you don’t even want......

Choosing something you ACTUALLY want to wear is just fantasy, it’s all about the resale/grey price...... haven’t you heard??!!*

*tongue in cheek in case anybody takes it too seriously

Just a series of quotes... I think you may be getting at me contradicting myself? If so, I am not. I want to try a few different watches and then settle on a small collection that I don't change.
    Well why didn’t you say that at the start?

It makes a big difference to the advice you’ll receive.

My advice in that situation is do your homework and buy privately wherever possible. If you buy or sell anything from/to a dealer, you’ll more than likely take a hit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well why didn’t you say that at the start?

It makes a big difference to the advice you’ll receive.

My advice in that situation is do your homework and buy privately wherever possible. If you buy or sell anything from/to a dealer, you’ll more than likely take a hit.
    Because that is not the advice I was after, to be honest it is not even advice, per se. More just a discussion. It was a discussion about long term satisfaction with ownership of certain brands, I could then potentially use that in choosing which watches to try.

I don’t understand why people can’t treat this forum like a normal polite conversation about watches. If you just came up to me and quoted me at three different points and left it at that before saying, well why didn’t you say that in the first place!? Really quite hostile, just don’t understand it. Something like that happens on every single thread!

Master
    Haha yeah I guess my Rolex buying experience is a bit warped to the positive as all I did was walked into an AD last year, asked if they had a SS sports models. Asked to take a seat and then chose between an Explorer and a Sub. No history with the AD, no champagne bought and no fellatio took place.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

You’ll need to pool all your cash to buy a couple of Datejusts (one of which MUST be two-tone) or a Cellini. This will prove you’re not re-selling them to grey (as you’d lose a packet) so that you are allowed on the ladder at your AD for a stainless sports model.

Just pop to your local AD, take a bottle of champagne for the salesperson for the sheer privilege of even looking in the window and they’ll take your money for a watch you don’t even want......

Choosing something you ACTUALLY want to wear is just fantasy, it’s all about the resale/grey price...... haven’t you heard??!!*

Just get a Grand Seiko Springdrive. Nothing else comes close at that price point and if you buy pre-owned then there's no risk on value retention either. Show me a better watch at less than £4k pre owned than a GS Snowflake and I'll buy 10 of them.

Else a BP 50 Fathoms is a lovely watch, the new Omega Seamasters are belters etc etc

Blog Entries
    Haha yeah I guess my Rolex buying experience is a bit warped to the positive as all I did was walked into an AD last year, asked if they had a SS sports models. Asked to take a seat and then chose between an Explorer and a Sub. No history with the AD, no champagne bought and no ***** took place.
    Lucky you. Have you got enough choice yet? Any decisions?

Martyn.

So
    Zenith - CP2 for example with the El Primero 36000 4600 movement. Very readable chrono.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 30th May 2019 at 09:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

Love it
    Now weres my nearest rolex dealer
    I just need to be put in my place and sneered at

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Omega for me is a good call
    They are making some fantastic pieces and have the benefit of a large service network

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Lucky you. Have you got enough choice yet? Any decisions?

Martyn.

So
    Zenith - CP2 for example with the El Primero 36000 4600 movement. Very readable chrono.

I think that is a brilliant looking watch. However, I think the dateless chronograph spot is taken by my Speedmaster. Otherwise yes, I would be very interested.

Master
    I think that is a brilliant looking watch. However, I think the dateless chronograph spot is taken by my Speedmaster. Otherwise yes, I would be very interested.

Having owned both, I can suggest that the CP2 is the superior watch , by quite a margin. Better movement, better WR, better finished. But it costs more....

I have owned my first Rolex now for 6 months and I'm genuinely finding it hard to wear anything else, in a way I hope it wears off a bit otherwise I'll have to sell off a load and buy another Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Having owned both, I can suggest that the CP2 is the superior watch , by quite a margin. Better movement, better WR, better finished. But it costs more....
    Having owned a CP-2 since launch in 2016, I would say, while it could be argued that the Zenith is superior and a near identical modern recreation of the original watch, the diameter and case proportions vs the Speedy will make it appeal to less people.

The Speedy wears smaller and will fits better on a larger number of wrists, and i'll be honest, even I find it a bit of dinner plate from time to time, due to the thin case that houses the EP (despite owning stuff from 34-47mm)

What looks stunning in photos doesn't always wear right in reality

Plus point, LVMH UK are definately alot more on the ball than Swatch UK in my experience, which is a plus if you need the watch serviced or spare parts.

Really the point of the above story is,
    Without getting out there and doing the leg work, and trying on multiple watches/brands (from Zeon to Urwerk) you're not really going to know what you're after, especially if the aim is to settle on core collection you're happy with.

You also have to consider tastes change, what you think is perfect today, may not be perfect tomorrow...

10 years ago (basically, if it wasn't a 16610/16600...):
    - I didn't like dress watches
    - I didn't like gold watches
    - I really didn't like gold Rolex
    - I really didn't like Panerai
    - I didn't like the risk of owning an independent
    - I didn't like fussy dials, chronos, world timers, chiming watches, date on multiple discs etc.
    - I didn't like watches outside of ±40mm
    - I really didn't like BIG watches
    - I didn't like manual wind
    - I didn't like display backs
    - I didn't like watches with less than 300m WR
    - I didn't like non-date

Now I have a collection that includes every point on that list (some even encompass multiple points).
    Last edited by endo; 30th May 2019 at 11:36.

Master
    I think you should buy
    1 x Speedmaster
    1 x Submariner
    1 x JLC Reverso
    1 x Seiko ( Anything )
    1 x Casio G Shock

It’s the WIS thing to do !

Master
    Blog Entries
    +1 for Stuart Lord @LVMH for the Zenith service experience.

If you dropped in from planet Zogg and tried them back to back, I'd be amazed if many would choose Rolex for outright subjective quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I think you should buy
    1 x Speedmaster
    1 x Submariner
    1 x JLC Reverso
    1 x Seiko ( Anything )
    1 x Casio G Shock

It’s the WIS thing to do !
    Haha that’s the worrying thing! I have the first two! And I want a Seiko...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It might sound odd, but perhaps if you like Rolex, the best alternative to a modern Rolex is a vintage one?