closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any rowers on here??

Master

Any rowers on here??

I’ve seen the odd water rower going through the sales forum and just wondered if we have any serious rowers about??

Just over a year ago I had to a few bits of maintenance and decorate the kitchen, hall, stairs and landing of a cottage which we rent out in a bit of a rush before a new tenant moved in. The next day I felt like someone had beaten me with a shovel and I realised just how unfit I’d become after back surgery 8 years ago ended my rugby career and I’d done pretty much sod all since - with the exception eating and drinking too much!

I cleared the cellar the next day, bought a Concept 2 rower off eBay and have been on it for 30-45 mins six times a week since.

About 6 months ago I joined a Cornish Pilot Gig rowing club, and for about the last 4 months I’ve been skipping for 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week to try and get my fitness where it needs to be as well as doing push ups and core exercises.

Fast forward to now, I’ve lost around 4 stone, I feel better than I ever have done and I have my first rowing race out in the open sea at the end of July.

I still need to sort out my diet - and I probably still drink a little more than I should every now and then, but In short, I’m bloody well addicted to rowing these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Certainly more successful than my experience. Having damaged my elbow and broken a thumb with a punchbag, despite wrapping hands etc, I went for a water tower as lower impact.

Nowhere near as much fun as belting seven shades from the bag. It hasn’t been used much, but am just kicking of a healthier lifestyle and will be using it a lot more than I have previously.

Currently I’m feeling very tired after 2km at about 23spm. Need to really read up on what I need for fat burn vs just rowing hard (well hard for me!)

Master
    Yep, most people I know who’ve tried rowing and given it up just found it too dull. I actually quite like being able to get away from the wife and kids for an hour on my own with the radio or Spotify.

I’ve never used a water rower, but have a look at these pages which I have found really helpful. And it mixes it up a bit so it’s not quite so boring.

https://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/wod

I use one intermittently. Not sure it's any more boring than a treadmill. I use the rowpro software that gives a visualisation, allows online racing etc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have a kayak.Summer use only. A few trips out in summer then back in garage in winter.As already said it can be a bit boring after a few trips.

Yes, have been rowing or around rowing since I was a schoolboy (1980s!).

Am now a British Rowing umpire and fairly extensively involved in that (I do c. 20 days a year) plus various event organisation.

Still row a bit though I’m lucky if I get out on the water more than once a week.

I do manage at least one session on an erg each week - usually a UT2 session, perhaps 30 minutes at rate 18 or a slightly more intense session like 5x1200m in a rate pyramid - 18,20,22,20,18.

Yep have a concept2 rower and really like it.

I’ve been training for a marathon that I’m doing in a weeks time.

Two hours or more on a rower is certainly a challenge but you do get through quite a few podcasts though!!

I've got a concept 2, also. I use it to 2-3 time per week. The high intensity sessions cripple me, but I love it really.

Craftsman
    Oh yes. I switched from doing generic cardio at the gym to erg’ing and now on c40-50k/week of various flavours. Not good at sprints being relatively short for a rower (sub 6ft) and lwt.. but managed to pull a million metres (with a week to spare) last season and a half marathon.
    The idea of a FM doesn’t (yet) appeal ...

Addictive and playing with improving at the leaderboard on c2 is good motivation.

al

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch out for correct ordering of the stroke and breathing. On the pull stroke the legs drive, then body straightens and leans back before the arms drive into the stomach, exhaling all the time (legs, body, arms). The order is reversed moving back to the catch, the arms move out from the stomach, body leans forward before the knees come up as you slide, inhaling as you go (arms, body, slide). The hands should move in a straight line, if you find you have to raise them over your knees then the ordering is awry.

I often see people who have not rowed or been coached getting this confused.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Watch out for correct ordering of the stroke and breathing. On the pull stroke the legs drive, then body straightens and leans back before the arms drive into the stomach, exhaling all the time (legs, body, arms). The order is reversed moving back to the catch, the arms move out from the stomach, body leans forward before the knees come up as you slide, inhaling as you go (arms, body, slide). The hands should move in a straight line, if you find you have to raise them over your knees then the ordering is awry.

I know what you are saying, but I would argue this is not quite correct: as you drive with the legs your body needs to open away from your legs in order that your shoulders are leading your hips and you can drive through the line of your back - if you row legs then body then arms, then you are almost certainly “bum-shoving”. Also pull into the stomach is likely a little low - aim for your thumbs just touching the bottom of your ribs

You are spot on with the recovery though - if your hands are bouncing over your knees then you are bringing your knees up too soon - as seen in every gym around the land ...

The other common error is to whack the damper up to 10 - instead use the drag factor setting in the menu and set to a consistent value: Concept 2 recommend between 100 and 140 - I find somewhere around 120 is good for me. That is typically between 4 and 5 on the damper, but will vary from machine to machine due to maintenance, dust in the fan etc..

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I know what you are saying, but I would argue this is not quite correct: as you drive with the legs your body needs to open away from your legs in order that your shoulders are leading your hips and you can drive through the line of your back - if you row legs then body then arms, then you are almost certainly “bum-shoving”. Also pull into the stomach is likely a little low - aim for your thumbs just touching the bottom of your ribs

You are spot on with the recovery though - if your hands are bouncing over your knees then you are bringing your knees up too soon - as seen in every gym around the land ...

The other common error is to whack the damper up to 10 - instead use the drag factor setting in the menu and set to a consistent value: Concept 2 recommend between 100 and 140 - I find somewhere around 120 is good for me. That is typically between 4 and 5 on the damper, but will vary from machine to machine due to maintenance, dust in the fan etc..
    I see what you saying, I maybe imply the legs finish before the body moves when in fact the legs initiate the movement but are not finished when the body moves. This concept two video of good technique and common errors is quite good. https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowe.../common-errors

I use a Bodymax Infiniti R200 rowing machine 6 mornings a week and have been doing so for nearly three years. I don't go flat out but I do an average of 5.2k every session so 31k a week in total. I also do a small regime of strength training 6 mornings a week. I'm 58 in July and I feel fitter now than I have done in decades!

I live 5 mins from the Thames so there are dozens of rowing clubs in the area, I've often thought of joining one and doing some proper rowing but haven't got around to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post

I live 5 mins from the Thames so there are dozens of rowing clubs in the area, I've often thought of joining one and doing some proper rowing but haven't got around to it yet.
    Feel free to PM me if you are keen - I’m a member of a Tideway club with masters rowing and we run learn to row courses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Yep, most people I know who’ve tried rowing and given it up just found it too dull. I actually quite like being able to get away from the wife and kids for an hour on my own with the radio or Spotify.

I’ve never used a water rower, but have a look at these pages which I have found really helpful. And it mixes it up a bit so it’s not quite so boring.

https://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/wod

Thank you for these, will give them a try!

Craftsman
    I'm 61, been rowing for over 10 years, great way to keep fit. Can't run anymore :) Broke my foot 10 years ago, didn't go to hospital, was going on a motorcycle tour 3 days after, so just strapped it up and off I went. Suffer now occasionally with swollen big toe, so when rowing I try not to put too much pressure through the ball of my foot.

Did a beginners regata last summer in a mixed 4. Best fun ever as we won!
    I'd rowed on various indoor machines before. Apart from the rhythm and legs back arms routine no big difference or dramas. In a sprint however your but is fairly often leaving the seat due to the leg push.
    Get on the water and sign up to a beginners course. Such fun in the summer with bird life on the river.
    Don't get that or the fun of being in a boat with others in the gym.
    You won't look back

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post

Nope. I rowed in the late 70s and 80s and qualified as an ARA rowing coach as well. As already noted that’s bum-shoving and likely to hurt your lower back. Lean back first, drive with the legs, down and over your knees with your hands.

Blog Entries
    Filming from a 90 degree angle (profile) helps you to monitor your movement. (Rowing since the mid-80s; added a C2 10 yrs ago).

*must use the C2 more often*