closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Japanese Toilets

Master

Japanese Toilets

Hi All,

I have just returned from a trip to Japan and was really impressed with their toilets. Heated seat, warm water to wash away your cares and nice gentle drying. Toilet paper now feels so antiquated!!

Does anyone own such a thing in the UK? Seems like they are reasonably new over here and I have no idea about brand, type or fitting.

Any thoughts appreciated (I have promised myself that I won’t go to the loo until I have one so please hurry....)

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help you, sorry, but loving the nominative deterministic vibe.

You can buy them here , my friends dad did but he had issues with his. Cost a fortune too.

I came back from Tukey last month and the toilets there have a built in washer too- I would want to get those installed when I redo our bathroom.
    Last edited by eagletower; 29th May 2019 at 09:21.

Sponge on a stick in a warm bucket of water next to the bog is a far cheaper option

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Sponge on a stick in a warm bucket of water next to the bog is a far cheaper option

Good enough for the Romans, though I don't imagine much fun if you were last in line.

We were in Japan in April and the toilets were fab, hours of fun. Even in the 7/11 (supermarket) they were super clean and automated, I didn't like the heated seat, it felt wrong (like someone else had just been siting on it)

Article in the FT over the weekend explained why Japanese toilets haven't made it over here, essentially cost, culture and a perception that water and electricity doesn't mix. I really like them from my trips to Japan but doubt I will be willing to spend 2k on one. You can just buy the seat to go on top of a conventional toilet although it's not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Good enough for the Romans, though I don't imagine much fun if you were last in line.
    I carry my own sponge and stick in a tesco bag for life

I was at Grand Designs Live recently and there were a number of firms selling the complete toilets but there was one that sold the seat and gubbings as an add on to your existing toilet. Just got a glance at it so didn't see any prices.

I like the idea and have thought about it but it's one of those things I can imagine ending up costing a small fortune when/if they go wrong.

When I have my bathroom done in the near future I'll be having one of the little bidet shower head things that hang next to you on the wall by the toilet fitted.

Were you in the American Bar in the Savoy last Friday?
    Last edited by Tony; 29th May 2019 at 10:02.

Genuine LOL
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Upgrade from a sponge on a stick to a "bum-gun" - you'll find them in a few South East Asian countries.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Upgrade from a sponge on a stick to a "bum-gun" - you'll find them in a few South East Asian countries.
    Bum guns/ arse showers are good…! Flushes out the hardest to reach cleg nut…. Plenty on eBay / Amazon but create plumbing issues I believe?

Craftsman
    Wouldn’t like the heated seat. Reminds me that someone has just been on the toilet just before me!

Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    Wouldn’t like the heated seat. Reminds me that someone has just been on the toilet just before me!
    Yes, but probably a Japanese schoolgirl.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I plan on getting one when we move house, they are the right voltage I think so easy enough to fit. Panasonic have a good range.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Bum guns/ arse showers are good…! Flushes out the hardest to reach cleg nut…. Plenty on eBay / Amazon but create plumbing issues I believe?

10 VIZ points awarded for the term 'cleg nut'!

Chain still swinging
    Seat still warm

I had issues with the first ones i bought leaking. Then I bought some Grohe ones which have a tap to turn the water on and off with in addition to the button on the the actual shower. No issues with those. I once forgot to turn the tap off and water did slowly leak out of the top of the shower end.

I doubt it would get rid of the biggest cleg nut:

Bah, modern nonsense. Nowt wrong wi’ the owld ways . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    I can imagine the fun friends will have in Japan with these during the rugby World Cup, image the man hours wasted here if heated bog seats became the normal, production would drop due the comfy nature of the visit instead of the freezing cold plastic/wood etc that means hoover and go.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Bah, modern nonsense. Nowt wrong wi’ the owld ways . . .

Flowers would've been more effective than that stuff.

Blog Entries
    May sound antiquate, but how about an old-fashioned bidet?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I had issues with the first ones i bought leaking. Then I bought some Grohe ones which have a tap to turn the water on and off with in addition to the button on the the actual shower. No issues with those. I once forgot to turn the tap off and water did slowly leak out of the top of the shower end.
    +1 on the Grohe ones. Ours has been good so far, but in general worth just budgeting a change of hose or tap every 2-3 years. Not big job or massive expense

The late Mr Crowley (Paul) of this forum had a super-duper one fitted in his house whereby it washed and blowdried, not sure if the seat was heated though.

In many parts of the 3rd world toilet paper is either not available or if it is then certainly not to be disposed of down the loo but placed into a lidded bucket. The same regime applies to boats as marine toilets cannot cope with paper. This is common on the dive safari boats and the guests are repeatedly told not to put toilet paper down the loo, however this seems to be harder to adhere to for the female passengers - until it's pointed out to them that it's usually the chef's responsibility to clear any blocked toilets, which seems to help them remember.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They had them in Brazil, cool water on the nipsy nipsy after 3 weeks on the lash was a blessing. Combined with their squishy loo seats and you have a budget version of the Japanese Rolls Royce toilets.

I get the missus to warm up the seat before I use it.

Master
    I also investigated this concept on returning from Japan two years ago. Great idea but almost unheard of over here so too many maintenance issues to warrant installation sadly.

Some top quality consumer advice right there....

A genuine spat-coffee-on-keyboard moment.

Mrs Goat sometimes specifies these with her job- she specs and authorises disabled adaptations for the local authorities
    “Posh loos” as they’re known, water jets/ air driers etc

Master
    As much as the sponge/stick ideas are appealing I’m not sure they might be a step backwards from TP!

I think I need to do some more research, can’t be that hard to figure out and definitely not going back to stupid poxy normal toilets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They seem to range from as little as £500 raising up to over £5000.

This looks great and is a good brand: - https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...oilet-39354sh0

I'm off put by any that have the push buttons on the side of the bowl as I'd have 'splash back' anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    They seem to range from as little as £500 raising up to over £5000.

This looks great and is a good brand: - https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/...oilet-39354sh0

I'm off put by any that have the push buttons on the side of the bowl as I'd have 'splash back' anxiety.
    The smartphone app is interesting - could it be operated by someone else?

Craftsman
    Toto is the only make to go for, there is a reason it is the most popular brand in Japan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Toto is the only make to go for, there is a reason it is the most popular brand in Japan.
    Getting washed by one of those toilets must be like the rains down in Africa?

I found the bum guns in Dubai were incompatible with dry clothing. OK if you have a tunic you can hitch up, but not so good with trousers round your ankles. It also didn't help that the guns were powerful enough to pressure wash paving.

Master
    Could always try this method (read the review)

Craftsman
    In his infinite wisdom, my FIL decided to install two Japanese toilets in his house during recent renovation work. It's been a (very expensive) disaster.

I don't the exact details as I find it tiresome to listen to, but one of the big issues was due to the voltage/frequency not being compatible with what we have in Ireland. Coupled with the fact that there isn't a plumber or electrician in the country who has worked on these (or wants to work on them), it made it an extremely lengthy process to get them installed and working. However, he still has ongoing issues with them and is frequently without a working toilet in the house, as when they stop working there's no redundancy.

My ass enjoyed my stay in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    My ass enjoyed my stay in Tokyo
    So did mine when I went. I vowed to install in my house but haven't done it yet.
    I wonder if the Japanese even have a word for dangle berries aka clagnuts aka tagnuts, seeing as their backsides are so clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    So did mine when I went. I vowed to install in my house but haven't done it yet.
    I wonder if the Japanese even have a word for dangle berries aka clagnuts aka tagnuts, seeing as their backsides are so clean.
    Came back a different man with a slightly higher pitch voice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I found the bum guns in Dubai were incompatible with dry clothing. OK if you have a tunic you can hitch up, but not so good with trousers round your ankles. It also didn't help that the guns were powerful enough to pressure wash paving.
    Try sitting down when using it?

Journeyman
    Humans are fitted with two hands for a reason.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not wanting to p1ss on your fireworks but, my mate has a home in Finland next to a lake.

Rather than sending No 2,s into the lake, they are incinerated in he’s home as part of the local environmental controls system.

Getting washed by one of those toilets must be like the rains down in Africa?
    Late to the party, but that was funny.