closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JLC independent repairs-recommendation

Master

JLC independent repairs-recommendation

Can any one recommend an independent watchmaker who has experience with JLCs?

A friend has had a history of poor service whenever he has had his JLC severed and now wants to get an independent watchmaker to look at his watch.

Many thanks

Sean

Master
    JLC have retaken control of their market with a vengence.

About 5 or 6 years ago the winding knob fell out of my JLC complete with the connecting shaft. I tried a couple of independants who turned it down as the shaft was difficult to reproduce. Only JLC hold the spares and they don't release them.

I gave in, sent it off to JLC and it came back with a bill for £1200.00.

I now stick with Rolex.

Master
    Thanks for that.

The watch only came back form a service 6 months ago, which JLC insisted on doing even though the watch had only been sent back to Richemont because the crystal fell off. Apparently the watch now has a damaged crown and a broken gear train which invalidates the 2 year post service warranty, no idea how this happened. So full service, again, plus repair. Cost, another £1000 +.

Hence the enquiry about independent alternatives.

Craftsman

JLC independent repairs-recommendation

YHPM - a couple spring to mind.. but if it’s modern and needs parts you’re in for a bill at the manufacture (what’s the watch in question..?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Once bitten, twice shy. I won’t consider another JLC.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Once bitten, twice shy. I won’t consider another JLC.
    Was considering a Master Control or Reverso as my next watch, regarding service costs can an independent get spares for the vintage and older stuff (mid 90's) or is servicing for all watches going to be expensive. Had a Gentilhomme some years back (mint 18ct bumper auto) but very few places in Dublin would consider it

Seems the consensus here now is to avoid all Richemont brands for reasonable aftercare.

Master
    Really disconcerting all this stuff about ridiculous servicing prices. I guess they just bank on the majority of their market buying the watch and not really considering long-term ownership. What non-Rolex brand (but in that ballpark price-wise) would people suggest for good aftermarket care?

Journeyman
    Oh wow that's worrying. Had my eye on a couple of IWC pieces, does anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Brendan (webwatchmaker) on here gave me a quote for a reverso service in the last year. That doesn't mean he still would or could I suppose but worth asking.

Master
    Many thanks for the replies and PMs which I will certainly follow up.

The watch is a JLC Master Calendar and has been plagued with problems.

To be fair I have had a Master Memovex for 8 trouble free years. Although it has not been back to JLC.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIM View Post
    Many thanks for the replies and PMs which I will certainly follow up.

The watch is a JLC Master Calendar and has been plagued with problems.

To be fair I have had a Master Memovex for 8 trouble free years. Although it has not been back to JLC.
    The JleC Master control movement is one of the best made by them. It's also used by AP in their Royal Oak. The only problem I have ever had with one has been a sticking calendar wheel. Great timekeeping and rugged design. I have serviced many of them and charge £425.00 for a standard service.
    I have heard that JleC farm out some repairs. Maybe yours was one of them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Master
    Hi Brendan I will email you shortly. By the way true two Breitlings should be heading your way early next week if you can fit them in.

All the best

Sean

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIM View Post
    Hi Brendan I will email you shortly. By the way true two Breitlings should be heading your way early next week if you can fit them in.

All the best

Sean
    Yes, please email me. My message box fills up so quickly.
    I will of course fit the Breitlings in although I am now quoting 3-4 weeks due to sheer volume of repairs.
    Kind regards and thanks,
    Brendan.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk