closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car suggestions please

Craftsman

Car suggestions please

It looks likely that I may be coming up for a major work change so will possibly looking to change the car. Currently I've got a BMW f10 520d SE. I'm currently doing about 20k a year so the diesel makes sense. The change get will mean this will drop to about 10k with more shorter journeys so looking to move to petrol.

I like the solidity of my 5 series and the excellent auto and the fact it's a really good mile muncher. So onto my requirements

Ideally equally as nice a place to be as the 5 series must have great auto. Doesn't necessarily have to be as big as a the current car but must be able to deal with occasional longer trips e.g. holidays, family visits. I would also like something a bit quicker and more fun but nothing stupidly quick to keep the insurance down.

Budget is £30k tops and must be less than 2 years old. Oh and not an MX5 or anything with £500 road tax pa

Over to you to try and create a shortlist of candidates please

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    If you like the 5 series, what about the 530e?

I really fancy one of the BMW hybrids.

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...f-8654dd04eafb

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dare I say it; a petrol 5 series?

New 330e or 5 series again. C Class Merc or brand new Skoda Superb; the press are saying it really lives up to its name. Maybe even a Lexus UX or Mini Countryman plug in hybrid?

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you value reliability, consider a Honda Civic - I have had 8 since the '80s and never a problem with any of them!

I would suggest the new Type R as it does everything you ask, but if you are worried about insurance, the 1.5 models are quick enough for normal driving (172bhp iirc). And they are comfortable and practical.

BTW my insurance for my 2016 Type R was only 220gbp - though I'm old and slow so maybe the insurers take pity on me!

Blog Entries
    If you want something a little smaller than the 5 series, how about a F30 3 series touring - something like a 328 Luxury or M-Sport (depending on your preference for comfort or sportiness) would probably fit the bill as a 1-car-fits-all-needs

If you want something bigger than the new Skoda Superb with the 2.0l turbo petrol engine producing just under 300bhp sounds like a great combo of space, pace and (a fair bit of) grace.

Craftsman
    If the Superb is a consideration perhaps also the Octavia VRS Estate https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2019-uk-review

Cant think you would be unhappy with a petrol 3 series either if you like your BM's

Craftsman
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guessed another 5 series might be on the list. For me it is a very capable car that ticks quite a lot of my boxes.

For those who suggested the Skoda. Have the issues with DSG auto boxes now been resolved or was this a VW only issue ?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guessed another 5 series might be on the list. For me it is a very capable car that ticks quite a lot of my boxes.

For those who suggested the Skoda. Have the issues with DSG auto boxes now been resolved or was this a VW only issue ?

DSG issues are massively overstated in my experience

Master
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...by-volkswagen-

Craftsman
    The DSGs on smaller engined cars have been problematic with early clutch replacements required - my wife's Beetle 1.2 TSI DSG needed a clutch pack at 32000. But I've had a lot of DSG cars as has my Dad (three Superbs) and I've never had any issues including on my recently departed 100000 mile TT V6 which was driven "spiritedly". I agree with the other poster - for the millions they have made, the DSG is a pretty solid piece of engineering for the most part. I had a new box in my 320d after 2000 miles so reliability is completely the other way around in my personal experience.

Have you considered a used X2
    It’s on my list having driven one the other day
    Loads of room for its clsss
    Cheap enough on lease too if you fancy that option

I have an X5 3.0msport which does me for everything and I’d revoke t a used one

Also the x3

Master
    Spends 5k on a really good E39, put away 10 for regular maintenance and repairs and enjoy the other 15k.

Can get a spanking new Mercedes C200 AMG Line (198bhp) for a shade over £28k, or C300 same spec. for £2k more.

BMW 5 and Audi A4/A6 same ballpark. Left-field Skoda Superb 280bhp around the same too, 4x4 DSG.

Master
    Oh and not .... anything with £500 road tax pa
    I never quite understand this?
    "Please recommend me a car.....
    I'm happy to pay depreciation of £4k PA, Maintenance wear & tear £1k PA, Insurance & fuel of £3k PA but I can't afford the extra £250 in road tax?"

Craftsman
    Logically you are absolutely correct but it just feels like the straw that breaks the camels back

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Spends 5k on a really good E39, put away 10 for regular maintenance and repairs and enjoy the other 15k.
    Nice try. I ran an E39 for 200k miles before the auto box gave out so seems like going backwards

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Logically you are absolutely correct but it just feels like the straw that breaks the camels back

Look at it as only £10 a week and it's easier to swallow.

Master

Fair enough, if it was me I wouldn't be looking at anything quite so new, but I understand that's not for everyone.
    I'm a big fan of the 3.0L Bmw's & do know a few people with 135i & 140is and no-ones had any issues.

C300 Estate or Skoda Superb Estate 4WD.

I was desperate for either, probably the C300 moreso, but my wife pulled rank and we got the GLC. Nice car but a petrol C300 would have been better.

Master
    Nice try. I ran an E39 for 200k miles before the auto box gave out so seems like going backwards

New isn't always forwards. How about some form of XJ6, Series III through to the current ones. The fuel consumption won't be great but neither will you spend 30k.

Master
    How about a volvo. I'd be looking at XC60 but an S60 would fit the bill very nicely.

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app