closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Show us your garden

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    - hard graft but good graft
    Couldnít agree more. 👍

Ok paint was next and now done (with exception of the whitewash which Iíll do next weekend). Garage looking a lot better now moved onto a few tons of gravel for path and driveway not 100% sure Iíd call it garden work but

Show us your garden

From this when I bought the house in August...

https://i.imgur.com/ZJjkvQE.jpg

To this now

https://i.imgur.com/S3OEiZn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iVHt7RO.jpg
    Last edited by Gullers; 28th November 2020 at 22:09.

Blog Entries
    I hadn't spotted the little white house on the first pic! What a transformation.

Spot the White House indeed.

Ha ha thanks both!

Itís a WW2 bomb bunker...
    I was going to have it removed but itís more hassle than itís worth, double brick and concrete roof!

Itís now a play house for my girls, at least there safe eh

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    That really looks great - bet they love it too !!

Guys I have a question - I want to have a barrel collecting rainwater from the garage guttering. I have spare concrete blocks and have dry built it in place to get an idea of how it would look and work. Iím happy with it but it feels sturdy / so my question is do I really have to mortar it in place ?intention being to whitewash the blocks at same time as whitewashing the roughcast. Pros and cons please?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    That really looks great - bet they love it too !!

Guys I have a question - I want to have a barrel collecting rainwater from the garage guttering. I have spare concrete blocks and have dry built it in place to get an idea of how it would look and work. Iím happy with it but it feels sturdy / so my question is do I really have to mortar it in place ?intention being to whitewash the blocks at same time as whitewashing the roughcast. Pros and cons please?
    I would say at that low height and interlocking block coursing you have done then you would be fine as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Is that Palmers Green behind your back fence?

Blog Entries
    I had a similar barrel many years ago. A few tips founded on experience.

The high position is very good. That way, you can put a bucket under the tap. And with a hose attached, you can walk into the garden with the hose in hand and with the aid of gravity, you can water plants near the roots. Perhaps you should alter the position of the barrel making sure that a bucket fits under the tap. (bucket on the paving, not on the gravel)

I would not paint the stones in any colour. Over time, algae will 'take over' and that makes the stone green. Doesn't look nice. Black/gray 'as is' is the best option, I suppose.

Using mortar? Well, the barrel holds close to 200 liters = 200 kg. A paving slab on top of the stones will spread the weight evenly, provided all is leveled out and that will help as well.You can use Gorilla Glue (not the marihuana...) construction adhesive between the blocks as well.

Finally: attach a down-pipe to lead the water into the barrel without making it an outdoor shower.
    Last edited by thieuster; 30th November 2020 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I had a similar barrel many years ago. A few tips founded on experience.

The high position is very good. That way, you can put a bucket under the tap. And with a hose attached, you can walk into the garden with the hose in hand and with the aid of gravity, you can water plants near the roots.

I would not paint the stones in any colour. Over time, algae will 'take over' and that makes the stone green. Doesn't look nice. Black/gray 'as is' is the best option, I suppose.

Using mortar? Well, the barrel holds close to 200 liters = 200 kg. A paving slab on top of the stones will spread the weight evenly, provided all is leveled out and that will help as well.You can use Gorilla Glue (not the marihuana...) construction adhesive between the blocks as well.

Finally: attach a down-pipe to lead the water into the barrel without making it a outdoor shower.
    You can see the downpipe hiding behind the Barrel - I have ordered a connecting piece and then it will feed directly into the barrel top. Good advice all round thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Is that Palmers Green behind your back fence?
    Itís Damson Park in Solihull, weíre really lucky and back into park with a gated entry. One of the main reasons I bought the house. That and the proximity to Solihull centre and the school catchment.

Blog Entries

Show us your garden

Today the first day of working in my new garden. The gate... It wasn’t high on my list, but when moving in last Friday we noticed that people with dogs use our forest as part of their daily dog-walk routine. When asked why, they replied with: “Well, the gate is open, isn’t it!”(...)

Saturday, my son and I tried to close the gate. No way that we were able to close it! Old, rotten/decayed wood and tons of brambles and ivy. I put up a 'forbidden access' sign to make -at least- clear that they're not welcome without us knowing it.

Today I’ve cut away all the shrubs. Under all those branches: two gate posts. And yes, all is as rickety as it looks. I still can't move the wooden gates. Simply because they're too far gone. One hinge simply gave up: the part that's attached wood crumbled when I tried to move the gate!

Tomorrow the cavalry: a former pupil of mine has his own carpentry business. Let’s see if he can come up with a nice solution (oak perhaps).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by thieuster; 30th November 2020 at 19:36.