closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your garden

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That’s true. But COVID made us aware that we would become truely unhappy on a concrete slab called ‘balcony’. We were totally relaxed and happy in our garden during the Dutch ‘semi-lockdown’ and it was my wife who brought it up, saying: “How would we feel being stuck on a balcony?”

I must say that I’m a little overwhelmed by the size of the new plot. I am surfing the ‘net like crazy to find out about forestry, bee-keeping, machinery for woodlands etc.

Bee-keeping is very much on my radar.
    With that much land I'd have to have a dozen or so chickens tucked away somewhere! Lovely looking place, and I'd keep the workshop as it is!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Finally got my back garden changed this year, last job in the house to do, I wanted a courtyard i could enjoy and entertain in as I have a big garden at the front.

It’s not as big as others but I do enjoy chilling outside in it now...

Before...

After...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Great spot. I love the fact that you've included the outbuilding in the transformation.

I always admire those brilliant slabs. I have no idea how these are called. All I know is that they're virtually unobtainable / eyewatering expensive overhere in Holland. Yes, lots of fakes: concrete slabs with an antique 'coat' are easy to come by. But the real ones...
    Last edited by thieuster; 3rd August 2020 at 15:58.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    With that much land I'd have to have a dozen or so chickens tucked away somewhere! Lovely looking place, and I'd keep the workshop as it is!
    The current owners have a chicken coop and once(...) it was filled with chickens. It also attracted foxes and buzzards and one day - just before we bought it- the owner had left the gate unlocked. Next morning it looked like a massacre, according to the lady of the house. We're on the fence about keeping the coop or not...

I just realised that this photo is also applicable here...

Blog Entries
    The current owners have a chicken coop and once(...) it was filled with chickens. It also attracted foxes and buzzards and one day - just before we bought it- the owner had left the gate unlocked. Next morning it looked like a massacre, according to the lady of the house. We're on the fence about keeping the coop or not...
    Ah yes, they do need looking after.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Moved in to the new house in December with only the turf being put down. Finished it a few weekends ago.....now waiting for some half decent weather to be able to use it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by koimaster View Post
    Wow!

Some gorgeous gardens here! I’ve been very thankful that we have space for the kids to burn off energy during the lockdown. After 12 years this view still makes me feel peaceful.

Some stunning gardens of every description here - what a joy of a thread to scroll through!

My own DIY project was very satisfying, turning a crazy steep lawn into something more usable.

Before:

After (though the rockery has since matured nicely):

Master

Show us your garden

I was going to post some photos of my work in progress garden but looking at some of these gardens and properties, I’d be somewhat embarrassed by my little ex council house.
    There are some truly amazing places on here.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I was going to post some photos of my work in progress garden but looking at some of these gardens and properties, I’d be somewhat embarrassed by my little ex council house.
    I’ve posted some of my garden and its only a few meters square, don’t be shy

Show us your garden

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    If you are proud of it just show it off mate...

Mines nothing spectacular but to me it’s superb and exactly how I envisaged it when I bought the house four years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Wow!
    Thanks. Property is 52 acres with 5 of them landscaped and garden area. The rest is Christmas trees and some old growth woods.

52 acres?! I’d never leave the property! I’d love a place with that much space. Superb.

Not a huge garden and I apologise for the AstroTurf in advance but I'm just happy we've had somewhere for the kids through lockdown

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Not a huge garden and I apologise for the AstroTurf in advance but I'm just happy we've had somewhere for the kids through lockdown

What an excellent design. Love the hidden TV! You have given me food for thought for my patio now! Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by koimaster View Post
    Thanks. Property is 52 acres with 5 of them landscaped and garden area. The rest is Christmas trees and some old growth woods.

Mmm, I think that my 6 acres (to own halfway November) is overwhelmingly big...

I just started looking for a proper lawnmower for my lawn...

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    What an excellent design. Love the hidden TV! You have given me food for thought for my patio now! Thank you!

Cheers, took a bit of work and forward thinking from the mudpit the builders left us. My mate is a very talented joiner and we threw some ideas around.

Enough bedding to keep us occupied and in rhubarb and strawberries and just big enough that the kids can ride their bikes in it.

Cheers, took a bit of work and forward thinking from the mudpit the builders left us. My mate is a very talented joiner and we threw some ideas around.

Enough bedding to keep us occupied and in rhubarb and strawberries and just big enough that the kids can ride their bikes in it.

A really effective use of space and a nice simple cost effective design. It’s something that I may do myself when I find the time. Thanks for the inspiration!

A really effective use of space and a nice simple cost effective design. It’s something that I may do myself when I find the time. Thanks for the inspiration!

No problem, and feel free to drop me a PM with any questions

That looks excellent but I wouldn't be keen on my neighbour watching TV out on the patio.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That looks excellent but I wouldn't be keen on my neighbour watching TV out on the patio.
    I know what you mean, we only have neighbors on one side and we are respectful. We tend to use it more for background music as there is a soundbar in there.

It was supposed to be for the euros/world cup etc but that was cancelled this year

I'd love to see what 5 acres of landscaped garden looks like, I can't begin to imagine. I've got under 2 acres, with the majority being grass and an orchard area and then a few sporadic flower beds.

The outside tv/dining area looks amazing, bet that's been great during this hot weather.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I'd love to see what 5 acres of landscaped garden looks like, I can't begin to imagine. I've got under 2 acres, with the majority being grass and an orchard area and then a few sporadic flower beds.
    Me too! I've figured out that my new garden has 3 lawns, all 1000m2/piece. So the hunt for a suitable mower has started. I visited a shop and the guy there made some suggestions, brand-wise and type-wise. But added: "...I'm not selling you a mower straight away. I'll come over to your home with some mowers and do a complete mow for you. Then we can decide what the best mower for your situation is!" I'd never heard that one before, but I like the attitude and the offer.

Me too! I've figured out that my new garden has 3 lawns, all 1000m2/piece. So the hunt for a suitable mower has started. I visited a shop and the guy there made some suggestions, brand-wise and type-wise. But added: "...I'm not selling you a mower straight away. I'll come over to your home with some mowers and do a complete mow for you. Then we can decide what the best mower for your situation is!" I'd never heard that one before, but I like the attitude and the offer.
    If you’ve got loads of trees to negotiate I can recommend the Husqvarna Rider series with the front cutting deck which will pretty much turn on its axis and get under any overhanging branches. I’ve got a 214T with the 103cm deck and takes me about 3 and a half hours a week to cut my grass.

Master
    Our patio is part way progressing, will share pictures once I can get back into photo hosting site.

One other question if I may, anyone recommend a place for aluminium (?) side gates? or any other materials of decent quality?

Cheers

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
    Our patio is part way progressing, will share pictures once I can get back into photo hosting site.

One other question if I may, anyone recommend a place for aluminium (?) side gates? or any other materials of decent quality?

Cheers

Andrew
    Where abouts are you? Know a great place in West Yorkshire

After all the rain yesterday

The 2 robots are out and about

Master
    Where abouts are you? Know a great place in West Yorkshire

Do they do driveway gates (specifically composite)?

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Do they do driveway gates (specifically composite)?
    Your best off speaking to Ben, he's very talented and makes everything in the shop

https://www.ironoctopus.co.uk/

Journeyman
    Giving up on my garden but Ł70 psm for artificial grass is painful and costly!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    WOW!!!

The more I see of this thread, the more I feel there should be 2 TZ-UKs

Standard rate tax payer TZ-UK

Higher rate and tax efficient TZ-UK

Our garden was a bit neglected when we moved-in 5 years ago, but has since undergone a spectacular metamorphosis into a mix of derelict wasteland, building site and the Somme ca. 1916.

The latest heartbreak (financially as much as anything) has been the discovery that our cold water mains from meter to house comprised about 50m of badly-rusted 1cm bore steel pipe from the 1920s and around 15m of old yellow garden hose (I sh*t you not) which had been placed underneath some old guttering sections and then buried...

The former occupants liked to do things on the cheap...

The upside of 65m of 32mm blue pipe and all the disruption that entails is our water pressure is now 50% higher AND we're no longer paying to water the subsoil

Leaves me with some improvements to make, which will actually be easier than before, but the poor garden will continue to look derelict for a while to come.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Our garden was a bit neglected when we moved-in 5 years ago, but has since undergone a spectacular metamorphosis into a mix of derelict wasteland, building site and the Somme ca. 1916.

The latest heartbreak (financially as much as anything) has been the discovery that our cold water mains from meter to house comprised about 50m of badly-rusted 1cm bore steel pipe from the 1920s and around 15m of old yellow garden hose (I sh*t you not) which had been placed underneath some old guttering sections and then buried...

The former occupants liked to do things on the cheap...

The upside of 65m of 32mm blue pipe and all the disruption that entails is our water pressure is now 50% higher AND we're no longer paying to water the subsoil

Leaves me with some improvements to make, which will actually be easier than before, but the poor garden will continue to look derelict for a while to come.
    I hate when people do things on the cheap! Makes it a ball ache for the next guy! My motto has always been “do it once, do it right”.

I hate when people do things on the cheap! Makes it a ball ache for the next guy! My motto has always been “do it once, do it right”.
    Could not agree more! Sadly this place had 40 years of a family who valued appearances over content at every possible step, before that, it was two spinster sisters who lived in one room for nearly 30 years, and before that it was a farm for nearly 200 years - and I've never met a farmer who'd spend a penny he could save by cutting corners and pleading poverty... So yeah, not yet found a job that wasn't bodged! Labour-of-love and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Could not agree more! Sadly this place had 40 years of a family who valued appearances over content at every possible step, before that, it was two spinster sisters who lived in one room for nearly 30 years, and before that it was a farm for nearly 200 years - and I've never met a farmer who'd spend a penny he could save by cutting corners and pleading poverty... So yeah, not yet found a job that wasn't bodged! Labour-of-love and all that.
    Well good luck with it all. A nice project for you and glad you are doing it properly at long last. Just be careful “safety wise” if the previous guys were proper bodgers!

Old dilapidated shed destroyed today, and skip officially full and back officially sore

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Old dilapidated shed destroyed today, and skip officially full and back officially sore
    Bet you came across some monster creepy crawlies taking that apart!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Bet you came across some monster creepy crawlies taking that apart!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    Covid 20 outbreak confirmed - source central Scotland. Suspected garden shed

Aye was mingin - just out of a long shower

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Covid 20 outbreak confirmed - source central Scotland. Suspected garden shed

Aye was mingin - just out of a long shower
    Excellent!!

Another few trips to the dump required now but the shed area is vastly improved and just needs slabbed now. Garden been ignored a bit as I’ve been on the roof of the house re-coating it. Be glad when the works done, as my back is starting to complain a bit

Edit - wife just reminded me we need three bulk bags of 20mm washed gravel - no rest for the wicked

Blog Entries

Show us your garden

Last Monday we received the key to our new house. First day without rain, so a few pics of the garden in glorious November sunshine. (Hottest Nov 18 in history: 16 degrees C). The grounds are a little over 26,000 m2 in total (> 6 acres). The size of 5 football pitches. Most is woodland, leading in the S and SW to the Royal Grounds and Forestry. In the east a similar sized plot with sheep and on the west side a house with a horse barn. Across the road to the north another equestrian orientated household by the looks of the barns behind the bungalow.

From the terrace to the WSW with the forest pool.

To the SE with a chicken coop (to be sold) and an old holiday home; to be replaced for a guest house

South facing

Last edited by thieuster; 18th November 2020 at 16:58.

^^^ wow!

Craftsman
    Impressive

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Show us your garden

New shed base completed today. Lot more work than I thought it would be but glad it’s finally done next is paint
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 20th November 2020 at 23:18.

^^^^^ Are these photos in the wrong order because the last photo and caption did make me chuckle.

Quality base btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    ^^^^^ Are these photos in the wrong order because the last photo and caption did make me chuckle.

Quality base btw.
    It was in wrong order / not sure why. Never done anything like this, so I’m pretty chuffed with it - hard graft but good graft