closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car boot Monday. Raining watches and other goodies..

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Car boot Monday. Raining watches and other goodies..

Beautiful morning, and one of my seller friends bought these watches for me with a load of tools, which he mainly deals in:

Victorian jewellery box:

Polaroid 101 camera with lots of accessories, macro, wide angle and telephoto lenses, flash gun, viewfinders:

A beautiful carved and painted wooden railway sculpture 37x22 inches:

A miniature oil painting of a Château on the banks of Lac Léman Switzerland. 4x7 inches. (excuse my reflection in the glass).

A gorgeous 1920s concertina:

I can't resist buying this stuff. Especially the watches, as everyone knows how hard it can be to find old spares. I love the Record military watch and can't wait to get it going. Back is badly scratched unfortunately, where someone tried to remove the engraving.

Looks like I may have to open a shop !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 27th May 2019 at 10:29.

Master
    Wow productive morning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That Benson pocket watch is nice and looks familiar. Would you mind telling us what the movement is?

Master
    Loving the Record.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    That Benson pocket watch is nice and looks familiar. Would you mind telling us what the movement is?
    Here's the Benson. (Silver case).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    Loving the Record.
    And here's the Record :

Banned
    Benson is calibre 776. Also Record I believe

The Record is a fantastic find
    I am sure you will know better than me but I am sure that case back can be cleaned up a bit.
    One of the best WWWs in my opinion
    Such a nice size with great looking hands.
    I wear mine on one of the our resident Revenants straps and it looks great. Finding the correct crown should not be to hard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The Record is a fantastic find
    I am sure you will know better than me but I am sure that case back can be cleaned up a bit.
    One of the best WWWs in my opinion
    Such a nice size with great looking hands.
    I wear mine on one of the our resident Revenants straps and it looks great. Finding the correct crown should not be to hard.
    Here's one from the Web:

Banned
    I'm pretty sure this is the château in my painting. Next time I'm in CH I will bring it with me and knock on the door !

Cheers Brendan.

Some very nice finds there . The Benson and the Record are both my favourites .

Wow, some lovely finds. That Record is very sweet and probably has some great history.

Master
    Some nice finds there. I like the art deco JW Benson pocket watch, and the Record is a great little discovery. I assume the little ladies Accurist is 9ct gold? Also, it strikes me that you may have misidentified the castle in your painting. I think it is more likely to be Oberhofen Castle on Lake Thun. The architecture matches better, as does the triple peak mountain range in the background:

That Record is a mega jackpot of a bootsale find! Congrats.

Master
    That 'Vico' is a handsome thing.

Master
    Assuming that Record was just tucked in amongst those un-noticed, that is one hell of a find!

Congratulations.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming that Record was just tucked in amongst those un-noticed, that is one hell of a find!

Congratulations.

It's always a joy to read about your finds. Today's trove is particularly eclectic.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    Some nice finds there. I like the art deco JW Benson pocket watch, and the Record is a great little discovery. I assume the little ladies Accurist is 9ct gold? Also, it strikes me that you may have misidentified the castle in your painting. I think it is more likely to be Oberhofen Castle on Lake Thun. The architecture matches better, as does the triple peak mountain range in the background:

I think you are right. Especially that little tower at the front. Thanks. I will go there !
    Yes. It's 9ct. Only the watch not the bracelet.
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 27th May 2019 at 15:14.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    That 'Vico' is a handsome thing.
    The Vico is French. Jeambrun. No idea which calibre.

Car boot Monday. Raining watches and other goodies..

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Benson is calibre 776. Also Record I believe

Brendan, could you cast your expert eyes over this Helvetia 32A movement? To my eyes there seem to be many similarities to the Benson movement in terms of layout, as well as some detail differences.

The reason I ask is that I have seen that dial on a couple of Helvetia pocket watches. Although I don’t have one, I do have one with similar Breguet style numeral and hands.

Just interested in trying to join the dots. I’ve never seen a Helvetia Benson. Maybe there was some tie up between Record and Helvetia.

Edit:

Mind you, the Benson also has a lot in common with this Record movement, which was around at roughly the same time as the 32A.

Did manufacturers share designs and components?
    Last edited by alfat33; 27th May 2019 at 23:22.

Banned
    Brendan, could you cast your expert eyes over this Helvetia 32A movement? To my eyes there seem to be many similarities to the Benson movement in terms of layout, as well as some detail differences.

The reason I ask is that I have seen that dial on a couple of Helvetia pocket watches. Although I don’t have one, I do have one with similar Breguet style numeral and hands.

Just interested in trying to join the dots. I’ve never seen a Helvetia Benson. Maybe there was some tie up between Record and Helvetia.

Edit:

Mind you, the Benson also has a lot in common with this Record movement, which was around at roughly the same time as the 32A.

Did manufacturers share designs and components?
    Good morning Alfat, Although similar in layout there are distinct differences between the two movements. Look at where the bolt screw is in comparison to the nearest plate and case screw. The case screws are in different places too. They would not be interchangeable. As far as I know, in the 30s there were many independents making their own movements and they did not officially share designs. They did buy some common components such as cases, mainsprings, jewels, hands, screws from those who only made those specific parts. Only with companies like Swatch taking over smaller independent companies has there been a switch to the same movements being used for a majority of brands. For example, the Valjoux 7750 is used by Omega, Breitling, IWC, Chopard and many other less well known makers. Companies like Benson bought movements from many makers. In those days you just ordered what you wanted. Now Swatch will only supply to members of their own group. And are restricting parts supplies to anyone else too.

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 28th May 2019 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post

Yep!
    With the Eiger Monch And Jungfrau mountains left to right in the distance. North face of Eiger clearly visible.
    Castle is not far from Brienz/Interlaken iirc....
    Nice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Yep!
    With the Eiger Monch And Jungfrau mountains left to right in the distance. North face of Eiger clearly visible.
    Castle is not far from Brienz/Interlaken iirc....
    Nice
    Yes. It's about 150 miles from Geneva. And they have a website. I may contact them about the painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Good morning Alfat, Although similar in layout there are distinct differences between the two movements. Look at where the bolt screw is in comparison to the nearest plate and case screw. The case screws are in different places too. They would not be interchangeable.
    Thanks Brendan, I appreciate you taking the time.

Banned
    Thanks Brendan, I appreciate you taking the time.
    A pleasure alfat. Movement identification is very important to me when buying old watches. My Record pocket watch could certainly do with a good clean !