closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf r or m240i

Golf r or m240i

I was pretty set on getting a golf r 2017 for around 20k. Went out on a test drive and it was nice place to be.

Then got home and looked into the m240i which is a little more but seems a lot more car.

Anyone got either of these and got any feedback on ownership

I did the same research a little while ago and settled on the M235, absolutely love it, sadly it just doesn't get driven anywhere near as much as it deserves

Lost days reading through loads of good articles and watching youtube videos including comparisons of the two (appreciate the M235 is now the M240), don't think there's a wrong answer! Obviously there's the S3/RS3 to consider as well

Personally I really like the fact the M235/240 appears much rarer than either the R or the M135/140. Many of the articles compare it fondly to the E46 M3 (which was always the car I aspired to)

I was overtaken by an R making swift progress on a country road the other week, must say that exhaust noise is superb

For what it's worth, in the year and <5,000 miles I've owned it both the exhaust back box and the iDrive have had to be replaced!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have experience of both... ish...

I ran an M135i for a year, I loved the infotainment with the the pro nav, the seats were excellent and it was rapid, but personally I loathed the auto box which the world loved at the time but interestingly I'm seeing more and more opinion lately that the manual is the one for fun.

I sold it for a Golf GTI. I tested an R but it felt heavier (it is) though like the BMW it's savage in a straight line.

The GTI manual was a brilliant car, the golf has a better chassis for the road and you could drive it harder more of the time. Only sold it for a Cayman S...

I think you'd be happy in either, but I would definitely check out the GTI if you try an R.

BMW wise I'd rather a manual 240 with 15k cash spare to an M2.
    Last edited by pete-r; 26th May 2019 at 23:33.

Master
    It depends what you want to be honest, the bmw is not practical but driven my friends m235 and it’s a riot, however eats tyres and has been quite thirsty to be fair

I’m a good mod man always will be but if you’re spending that money the R is a bit sterile to be honest I’d go for a clubsport if I had the pennies or just a well specced gti and the have some magic worked on it at r tech or awesome gti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments. I like the golf and it feels a solid car that’s won’t fall apart. I just prefer the styling of the BMW, my one concern with the Bmw is running costs will be much higher.

Going to try see if I can test drive one today and that could help make the decision

I looked at a S3 which is really the same as a R but they are more expensive, the RS3 is a different level price and performance wise so not really look at that too much.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post

I looked at a S3 which is really the same as a R but they are more expensive, the RS3 is a different level price and performance wise so not really look at that too much.
    I test drove the RS3 at the end of last year and found it wholly underwhelming. It was the car I’d determined I was going to get as it ticked the boxes of fast, 4 doors, practical (ish) and sounds amazing. However when I drove one it felt too sedate (had a 3l A5 diesel with a remap at the time), loud but drony (wife sat in the back and said it was awful in terms of noise) and frankly just a bit “meh”.

I plumped for an AMG C43 in the end which is a lovely place to be, fast but comfortable (less so in Sport+ mode )but probably nothing like you’re looking for so I won’t recommend it. MX-5 maybe?

Craftsman
    I've considered the Golf R a few times and driven a couple but have to say I've found them pretty dull to drive , no better than a normal Golf really just quicker , as a single car though that's a plus and if I could only own one car the Golf R would be on the list but have to say I would probably go for the GTI instead. The "R" tends to attract the wrong type of driver perhaps, I have a mate who has one and always gets hassled by boy racers wanting to prove their manhood

I own Skoda Octavia VRS (Golf R/GTI DNA)and a M235i the former is a sensible daily runner and averages around 37mpg day to day even though its running close on Golf R horsepower, the M235 is a much more exciting albiet compromised package great for weekends, averaging around 28mpg with me

The Golf is far more practical, better equipped, cheaper to run and there are a lot about so you can be picky and get a really good one but the BM is a much more entertaining drive and WILL make you smile a lot more

Both cars are better as autos as well imo , a manual Golf R misses out on is best party trick the launch

Make sure you test drive both cars in sport as well , the BM especially is a very different car when in sports or sports plus

Master
    I have been looking at many many cars to buy next year. It will be a toy car that needs to fit my wife and 6 year old so I can maximise it’s use. It needs to be fun above all else. Like you OP I looked at golf r as well as rs3, a45 amg, e92 m3, c63 amg, jag xf-r and Xk-r and many others that have all been ruled out for various reasons. I have settled on the BMW m2. It’s ticks all the boxes and reliable, looks good imo and I would need to spend very little to modify it to be happy with it. If you can push the budget to 30k check them out.

I looked at an M140. The acceleration in 3rd is epic. I couldn’t bring myself to get an R. I just find them boring to look at for a sporty car. Then again I like the Type R so ignore my taste

Master
    I like the new type r, it’s like a spaceship but even if you can’t love the looks please go and test drive one, nothing has put a smile on my face like the type r since I bought my mk5 gti, the last proper golf

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I looked at an M140. The acceleration in 3rd is epic. I couldn’t bring myself to get an R. I just find them boring to look at for a sporty car. Then again I like the Type R so ignore my taste
    I like the Type R also :) Found the dealers hard to deal with though and being the wrong side of 50 thought I was a little too old for one

Journeyman
    2 different but 2 good choices.

The m240i is superb and the fact that a compact rear drive coupe with a blown 3L 6 won't see the light of day again would swing me that direction.

The Golf is rock solid, they took a big drop in price new due to all the lease deals but they've almost gone the other way now with prices remarkably firm. Not as exciting as the m240i but equally was well built, more practical and cheaper to run.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I like the Type R also :) Found the dealers hard to deal with though and being the wrong side of 50 thought I was a little too old for one

Absolutely this. On my own on a deserted B road I'd take the type r every time. Every day turning up to work, weddings, funerals etc etc no chance.

A good compromise would be a run out megane 275 with ohlins dampers, big seats and akara exhaust. As capable if not more so than the type r but less shouty about it.

Craftsman

Golf r or m240i

I’m running a 3 door 135i at the moment had it for 2yrs , I’d change it to a golf R (estate) in a heartbeat now. Looking to move it on in the summer, the fuel tank is the size of a thimble no 4 wheel drive makes for an interesting driving experience in the rain or winter and as said above it is a tire slayer! Sorry I know it’s not a direct comparison with a 240i but they are so similar with the drive train etc.
    Hope you manage to test drive both

Last edited by Pennywise; 27th May 2019 at 10:56.

Heart: the Beemer

Head: the VW

Blog Entries
    I was looking at the golf / 1 series myself in March - I plumped for the M135i via BMW approved used (which I've used before & I like).
    Looking at prices now - I think I got a good deal - at just over £15k for a hi spec 64 plate with 54k on the clock & full BMWSH inc. 12 months warranty.
    (Estoril blue, black leather heated seats, comfort pack, sun protection pack, parking sensors, xenons & extended lights, nav system)
    At the time - I could not find an equivalent Golf for the same money.

It's nice & comfortable in Eco-Pro mode, and quicker than I could possibly need (or use legally) in any other mode.
    My weekly commute takes me from Glos to London - so lots of M4 driving - which equates to an average so far of approx. 35mpg.

So for 99% of the time I really do not get chance to unleash the potential performance - especially on public roads.
    I suspect the same is true for any of these high performance models.
    However, on the odd occasion that I do (for example with swift & safe overtaking ) - it is quite a buzz !)

There are more sensible choices out there - but with either the Golf R or 135/140, the other big factor for me is residuals.
    If these maintain the strong residuals they currently achieve - it'll actually be better value than the lower powered models from either range.

Win-Win

z

Blog Entries
    Mrs P has had R’s for four years now and they have been great cars. Look’s like what nanny use to drive so no attention, carries four adults fine, does 40 to the gallon when poodled, so sure footed on flooded and snow covered roads and great for some swift motoring when I need it at times.

Quality is great.

Would have a third in a blink.

Pitch

Test drive the m240 today and it felt miles ahead of the golf, hard to describe but it just felt better. Much better feel in the steering wheel and I loved the red leather interior. Is a few 240i with m + pack for around 23 which could be a winner.

Always prefer a manual but the auto I drove was nice and lots more choice in the autos

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

That sums it up pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

I love the new type r’s, boy racer at heart but they are still expensive 2nd band, m2 are out of the price range.

Was going for a mk3 Rs megane but after having a Renault for the last 4 years want something different.

Master
    I went for a 140i over the Golf. Loving the car and it’s just great for day to day driving. Average 32mpg in 5000 miles. Bought a set of winter wheels/tyres as my last 2 BMWs have been rubbish in the snow/ice and the tyres BMW fit aren’t great in cold and wet conditions- especially with so much power.

Blog Entries
    Just adding further, the latest MK 7.5 R with 310ps and 7 speed DSG, is a tad more grrrr than the first one and makes far nicer noises.

It is swift motor and as 53yo fits me perfect as a second car for wifey, I just couldn't drive the others with out being grinned at....

The spec is worth a point of note as well, it pretty much has everything in standard form.

Ta

Pitch

The mk 8 Golf is coming at the end of the year, so factor that into any estimates of residuals you might be making.

Master
    We've had a Mk7.5 R from new and covered just over 14k miles. It's been brilliant. The consummate all-rounder, and you can park it anywhere as it dissolves into the background, but is never outclassed even when parked up outside of the Dorchester amongst the supercars. Yes, the Mk8 will be out next year, but the good thing about the Golf Mk7/7.5/8 is that the looks have/will hardly change. It has a more traditional interior compared to Audis/BMWs/Mercedes which is quite timeless and very well executed. BMWs seem to get facelifted every 12months which do no favours to their residuals, and the numbering system is more confusing than it used to be. There is no ambiguity about "GTI" or "R". The Golf is the less 'interesting' car, but I think it is the stronger proposition from a long term ownership point of view.

Grand Master
    Ive got a Golf R and have driven both the 1 & 2 Series also for around 2000 miles, The R is the bomb, refined and polite in ECO, Discrete once debadged and whilst it feels mental its locked on the rails when you let it loose.

The only car I would replace my Golf R with is a Golf R, 310BHP Standard is enough for most but a little Revo chip once out of warranty turns it into a hoooooot.
    RIAC

I am still really stuck. There is a mk7.5 for 22 and a m420 m+ sport for 22, so both the same money. I know the golf seems more sensible but still drawn to the Bmw. Got a few more days to decide!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The mk 8 Golf is coming at the end of the year, so factor that into any estimates of residuals you might be making.
    New 1/2 series pics are out too. Looks like a i30!

i30n is great drive too

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I have a Golf R Wagon DSG 2019. Its a total sleeper. Looks just like a Golf estate to the less knowledgeable, the 4 tail pipes give it away if you’re looking I suppose. But put it in race mode and the DSG in sport mode and hit the boogie pedal and its near supercar performance. 0-60 in 4.8 ish with launch control. Sticks to the road like the proverbial to a blanket four wheel drive, the practicality of an estate, 40ish mpg if you aint rattling it everywhere, comfy, quiet and a nice set of standard stuff that is usually paid options on other makes. I understand the manual clutch can be problematic but the DSG is basically troublefree.

Quite a while back I had a M335d and that was nice. Very quick for a diesel. Dunno about the latest BMW stuff, but the cockpit in the R is imo nicer than my BMW. I doubt you’d be disappointed with either tbh.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve had my Golf R about 5 months now
    It replaces my M335d that I had for about 4 years
    VERY pleased... as has been said above, up to 40 mpg and iirc the tax is about £12 a month
    Mine is a 3 door one- over 6’ tall so I find the 5 door version a bit cramped ( door length issue for me) and much prefer the cleaner lines
    I looked for ages to find a good compromise between cost and spec and didn’t go mad as a new model is out next year so reckoned spending over the odds would be a mistake- having said all that it has nice 19” wheels, a very good sat nav and the (essential in my view) DSG box,
    A nice drive- bit clinical some might say but very surefooted and competent
    Hilarious in launch mode...
    Mine also fell into the sweet spot in terms of Bhp- at 310 it’s a tad more than both the early and later cars -
    It’s known as a mk 7.5, this may prove to add resale over a year or 2- they don’t seem any cheaper now than a year ago
    I think you would like it- a good friend has an M235i which is nice also but vastly inferior in the damp or wet if that’s an issue

Controversially I say neither, save yourself a packet and get either the latest Fiesta ST or Mini JCW, both are going to be more fun day to day.

Can’t add much but I’d have gone for an “R” if the Mrs wasn’t whinging about fuel costs all the time
    Instead we settled for an R-line and she still moans

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Controversially I say neither, save yourself a packet and get either the latest Fiesta ST or Mini JCW, both are going to be more fun day to day.
    Both are definitely not more fun. The JCW is hard and unforgiving with reduced space all round and the ST whilst fun just doesn’t have the same feel and finish to it but might be a better choice if you are under 25 and still doing donuts in shopping Center car parks after hours.
    RIAC

6 cylinders are always better than 4

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    6 cylinders are always better than 4
    and no replacement for displacement

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Wife has a JCW and whilst more fun, I wouldn’t want to drive longer distances in it. The 140 is now a more grown up car, great allrounder with a brilliant engine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The new 1 series is hideous. How about a run out 140??? Some v cheap deals about.

Craftsman
    My Golf R estate is the best all rounder i've ever had, other than 4 exhausts & big wheels it's a sleeper.

I’d go R all day

More subtle and a proper respected vehicle in its class

However - theft of them and parts are rife

I’d deffo loook at the new fiesta st if it’s fun you want too

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Both are definitely not more fun. The JCW is hard and unforgiving with reduced space all round and the ST whilst fun just doesn’t have the same feel and finish to it but might be a better choice if you are under 25 and still doing donuts in shopping Center car parks after hours.
    Strange as I found the opposite. I thought the JCW was a lot more fun than a M140 and felt more cramped in the BMW

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    The new 1 series is hideous. How about a run out 140??? Some v cheap deals about.
    Where does the OP say he’s looking at a new 1 series?

Craftsman
    I’m very surprised to read the Golf R being described as subtle etc. I’ve heard & read many, many stories about Golf R’s being lifted with thieves entering houses for the keys being a regular feature of the thefts.

I know this happens with other cars, but R’s are a particular favourite.

Anyway, the BMW straight 6 would win it for me every single time. It might also be your last chance to have a new(ish) one in a small package - which is a massive shame. Fairly quick Golf’s will be around a bit longer I suspect.

Well decision is made, went for a 2016 M240i in blue with the M styling package and black alloys - the black alloys really sold me compared to the normal grey ones. Spent more than I wanted but it looks a good car, rang a few dealers and they are quite firm on the pricing not 1 would budge even a little on the listed prices.

The golf was nice but the BMW just seems another level, yes it wont handle as well but I suppose that's half the fun. Its coming from Scotland and getting delivered on Friday.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=Petrol&page=1

Well decision is made, went for a 2016 M240i in blue with the M styling package and black alloys - the black alloys really sold me compared to the normal grey ones. Spent more than I wanted but it looks a good car, rang a few dealers and they are quite firm on the pricing not 1 would budge even a little on the listed prices.

The golf was nice but the BMW just seems another level, yes it wont handle as well but I suppose that's half the fun. Its coming from Scotland and getting delivered on Friday.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=Petrol&page=1
    Congrats! Great choice you will love it

Personally I’d be swapping that grill back to black on day one but appreciate that’s a matter of individual taste!

PS - watch that splitter on the front, it’s seriously low!

A mate has an M4 and was surprised to discover it has more clearance than the M styling kit on these (found out as he glided over a speed bump whilst I frustratingly ended up grinding the front of mine!)

THat looks like a cracking car. Good choice,

Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    Congrats! Great choice you will love it

Personally I’d be swapping that grill back to black on day one but appreciate that’s a matter of individual taste!
    Yeah that will be on my to do list, along with black wrapping the wing mirrors and maybe de badging

Can’t wait till Friday!! Heading to Blackpool on the weekend so will have a nice run out with the mrs

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Sorry but you cannot do donuts in a fwd car.

It’s great also that the OP plumped for the BMW; which of the two would be my choice, but said it wouldn’t handle as well as the Golf. It’s a misnomer that grip and traction make for better handling, handling is about chassis balance, feedback, feel and how it breaks-away into understeer/oversteer and neutrality. The BMW will almost certainly have better handling albeit possible not go round a greasy/wet roundabout as fast.

Good choice OP. Being rwd it will let you do donuts too should you wish, enjoy!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Where does the OP say he’s looking at a new 1 series?
    He didn’t nor did he say wanted a mini. There are some great deals at the mo on the 140i, as he is looking at VW and BMWs it seemed a good suggestion.

Nice choice OP, happy motoring.
    Last edited by Middo; 28th May 2019 at 19:28.

Craftsman
    Yeah that will be on my to do list, along with black wrapping the wing mirrors and maybe de badging

Can’t wait till Friday!! Heading to Blackpool on the weekend so will have a nice run out with the mrs
    Pretty much what I did to mine , I did debadge it but recently added some black ones

After a few months

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post

What are those funky colour exhausts?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    What are those funky colour exhausts?
    Those are funky coloured tailpipes thats what they are